Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News 20 Indian students commit suicide after exam results
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
20 Indian students commit suicide after exam results
Quote:Twenty students have committed suicide in India this past week after the Board of Intermediate Education (BIE) announced their exam scores, which Khaleejtimes reported have been marked in controversy after there were discrepancies in the results.

Nearly 1 million students took the exams between February and March, and nearly 350,000 failed, causing widespread protests from parents, student groups and political parties.

One student named Sirisha was failing biology and set herself on fire at her home in the Narayanpet district on Saturday after her parents went out to the fields, according to Khaleejtimes.

On Thursday, Chief Minister K. Chandrashekhar Rao ordered the recounting and re-verification for all the students who failed their exams, while urging the students to not commit suicide, adding that failing the tests didn't mean the end of their lives.

According to the parents, what caused students to commit suicide was an error on the part of the software solutions firm, Globarena Technologies Private Limited, which had been hired by Telagana BIE to develop software for processing admissions, pre-examination and post-examination results.

Link
04-30-2019 03:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
RE: 20 Indian students commit suicide after exam results
Don't want to be the company insuring the software firm.
04-30-2019 03:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
If students are killing themselves over exam results, I'm guessing the root cause is the parents.
04-30-2019 03:30 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-30-2019 03:30 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  If students are killing themselves over exam results, I'm guessing the root cause is the parents.

Yep, looks like Tiger moms exist not only in Asia.....

Sad.
04-30-2019 03:37 PM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(04-30-2019 03:37 PM)VA49er Wrote:  
(04-30-2019 03:30 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  If students are killing themselves over exam results, I'm guessing the root cause is the parents.

Yep, looks like Tiger moms exist not only in Asia.....

Sad.

You see it at highly competitive universities as well. William and Mary in particular seems to have scores of suicides. These are the kids whose parents organized every minute of their childhood and were punished, mocked, and called failures when they brought home a B.
04-30-2019 03:48 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
I'm sure there's some of that, but with the one they describe in the excerpt she "set herself on fire at her home in the Narayanpet district on Saturday after her parents went out to the fields". This one jumped out at me.

With the ingrained caste system still pretty widely in place over there, this girl may have seen her education as the only shot at her not having a "life in the fields". Pure speculation, of course, but I'd think with society(s) as they are now and "everybody has a glamorous life better than me, I see them on facebook" or whatever, she may have simply felt hopeless.

That and I think we can all agree to Yay! Standardized testing!

Million kids all taking the same tests, whether they live in areas where parents are engineers and doctors or the parents "work in the field".

Not a good idea/program.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2019 04:12 PM by JMUDunk.)
04-30-2019 04:10 PM
king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
If we could get our own university students here to buy into this same mindset of failure equalling death maybe we could nip the leftist problem in the bud once and for all.
04-30-2019 04:21 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(04-30-2019 04:21 PM)king king Wrote:  If we could get our own university students here to buy into this same mindset of failure equalling death maybe we could nip the leftist problem in the bud once and for all.

As long as parents are willing to pay bribes to get their kids into schools, not going to happen.
04-30-2019 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.