Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Washing Machine Tariffs - Results are in...
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
Washing Machine Tariffs - Results are in...
..and they should surprise no one. 1800 new jobs in the US between Samsung and Whirlpool. At a consumer cost of $820K per job created.

Quote:We find that in response to the 2018 tariffs on nearly all source countries, the price of washers rose by nearly 12 percent; the price of dryers—a complementary good not subject to tariffs—increased by an equivalent amount.

Quote:...an increase of 1.542 billion USD in consumer costs per year.

Quote:...a total annual tariff revenue of 82.2 million USD from these tariffs.

Who did we mean to punish here? What was this meant to fix?
04-22-2019 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: Washing Machine Tariffs - Results are in...
who in the hell buys a new washer or dryer.....oh yeah, the commies with more money than sense do....

ever heard of craigslist....

I can get ya a pair right now for two bills...

sheeple and their 'toys'....
04-22-2019 03:01 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
I'm still using the same ones I bought 12 years ago... Still doing the job. Wife keeps saying she wants a new set.. Told her to save her money for it.
04-22-2019 03:04 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(04-22-2019 02:52 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  ..and they should surprise no one. 1800 new jobs in the US between Samsung and Whirlpool. At a consumer cost of $820K per job created.

Quote:We find that in response to the 2018 tariffs on nearly all source countries, the price of washers rose by nearly 12 percent; the price of dryers—a complementary good not subject to tariffs—increased by an equivalent amount.

Yeah, those of us who understand tariffs knew the short-term outcomes.

Keep in mind the European economy is in shambles.

But if only we could go back to the good ol' days where American manufacturing jobs were a dying breed. Unemployment, lost wages, yeah -- that's the ticket.
04-22-2019 03:11 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
The results are in, but the ability of some people to understand them is still outstanding.
04-22-2019 03:13 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Second sentence "Using retail price data, we estimate the price effect of these import restrictions by comparing the price changes of washers with those of other appliances".

Now I did not read the entire study, but the second sentence makes me wonder what kind of control they were using. Washing machines are now app connected, they are subject to more stringent efficiency standards, and some of them even have a 'second' washer' in the base or on top for small loads. On page 4 they state they compare washers to other appliances in order to help offset "non-tariff" factors, but that assumes the technology and features increased at the same rate and cost for a washing machine as a dishwasher, microwave, oven, etc.

Using their own math and dividing the increased cost by the number of washing machine and dryer purchases, the cost of the tariffs to the individual buyer were approximately $84.

I am interested to see how Trump's tariffs play out the closer we get to 2020
04-22-2019 03:16 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(04-22-2019 03:11 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(04-22-2019 02:52 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  ..and they should surprise no one. 1800 new jobs in the US between Samsung and Whirlpool. At a consumer cost of $820K per job created.

But if only we could go back to the good ol' days where American manufacturing jobs were a dying breed. Unemployment, lost wages, yeah -- that's the ticket.

the 'law of diminishing' is not far around the corner....

they know not what they do....

in the land of macro commerce, it has to happen at some point....

#tulipsANDlabor
04-22-2019 03:18 PM
stinkfist Offline

(04-22-2019 03:04 PM)gdunn Wrote:  I'm still using the same ones I bought 12 years ago... Still doing the job. Wife keeps saying she wants a new set.. Told her to save her money for it.

#smartANDsavvy
04-22-2019 03:19 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(04-22-2019 03:16 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Second sentence "Using retail price data, we estimate the price effect of these import restrictions by comparing the price changes of washers with those of other appliances".

Now I did not read the entire study, but the second sentence makes me wonder what kind of control they were using. Washing machines are now app connected, they are subject to more stringent efficiency standards, and some of them even have a 'second' washer' in the base or on top for small loads. On page 4 they state they compare washers to other appliances in order to help offset "non-tariff" factors, but that assumes the technology and features increased at the same rate and cost for a washing machine as a dishwasher, microwave, oven, etc.

Using their own math and dividing the increased cost by the number of washing machine and dryer purchases, the cost of the tariffs to the individual buyer were approximately $84.

Average increase in purchase price? That is it?
04-22-2019 03:21 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

(04-22-2019 03:18 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

#tulipsANDlabor

It's called a trade war for a reason.

But let's go back to America losing jobs to oversees nations and still having to pay higher prices for it.
04-22-2019 03:23 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

(04-22-2019 03:21 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(04-22-2019 03:16 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Second sentence "Using retail price data, we estimate the price effect of these import restrictions by comparing the price changes of washers with those of other appliances".

Average increase in purchase price? That is it?

I remember when Dems were saying the projected amount of middle-class tax savings were negligible.
04-22-2019 03:24 PM
Advertisement

q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
So this is a bad thing because people got jobs... but consuerm things will cost more?
Ok... but then why would anyone expect us to believe that raising the minimum wage to $15 wont have an impact on raising the cost of goods.

Some people:
Regarding McDonalds: "Prices will not go up from business costs going up due to work wages."
Regarding Washing Machines: "Prices will go up from business costs going up up due to worker wages."

Makes total sense. I can see how those are different. /s 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2019 03:26 PM by q5sys.)
04-22-2019 03:25 PM
stinkfist Offline

(04-22-2019 03:23 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(04-22-2019 03:18 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

#tulipsANDlabor

It's called a trade war for a reason.

But let's go back to America losing jobs to oversees nations and still having to pay higher prices for it.

I've said this too many times....there's a reason I gave da finga to my econ profs....
04-22-2019 03:28 PM
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
(04-22-2019 03:16 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Using their own math and dividing the increased cost by the number of washing machine and dryer purchases, the cost of the tariffs to the individual buyer were approximately $84.

I wonder what the economic impact is from all those people now having jobs is. Now they have money to spend in the economy and are paying taxes to the gov.

I don't have any hard numbers, but I'm going to bet that the overall positive economic impact is more than $84.
04-22-2019 03:28 PM
stinkfist Offline

(04-22-2019 03:28 PM)q5sys Wrote:  
(04-22-2019 03:16 PM)200yrs2late Wrote:  Using their own math and dividing the increased cost by the number of washing machine and dryer purchases, the cost of the tariffs to the individual buyer were approximately $84.

I wonder what the economic impact is from all those people now having jobs is. Now they have money to spend in the economy and are paying taxes to the gov.

I don't have any hard numbers, but I'm going to bet that the overall positive economic impact is more than $84.

#residualimpactisarealthing

the 'pontiffs' only deserve "*"....
04-22-2019 03:30 PM
king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
(04-22-2019 03:01 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  who in the hell buys a new washer or dryer.....oh yeah, the commies with more money than sense do....

We had two that lasted 18 years and went and bought new ones last year. More for the warranty and they were on sale than anything else. I dont have time to be trying to fix no damn washing machine. That's for young men or men that know how to do it already.

Had an older coworker of mine one time that showed me the way on this kind of thing. We were talking one day and I told him how I'd spent time over the weekend mowing my lawn. He's close to 60 and was like dude you make way too much money per hour to be devoting 3+ hours on the weekend to do the lawn. Pay someone else. That really stuck.

I now pay for my lawn to be mowed and my house to be cleaned. Time means more to me than anything else going forward ever will when you break it down in a return on my investment kind of thing. That Saturday not spent working and doing what I want to do vs what I have to is worth it.

If I buy a cheap washing machine for 200 now and get 3 years out of it or buy a new one for 800 and get a warranty plus 18 years...you do the math.

Not to say if you enjoy fixing things or doing your yard that that is bad. I just dont enjoy doing either enough to not pay someone else.
04-22-2019 04:26 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(04-22-2019 04:26 PM)king king Wrote:  
(04-22-2019 03:01 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  who in the hell buys a new washer or dryer.....oh yeah, the commies with more money than sense do....

We had two that lasted 18 years and went and bought new ones last year. More for the warranty and they were on sale than anything else. I dont have time to be trying to fix no damn washing machine. That's for young men or men that know how to do it already.

Had an older coworker of mine one time that showed me the way on this kind of thing. We were talking one day and I told him how I'd spent time over the weekend mowing my lawn. He's close to 60 and was like dude you make way too much money per hour to be devoting 3+ hours on the weekend to do the lawn. Pay someone else. That really stuck.

I now pay for my lawn to be mowed and my house to be cleaned. Time means more to me than anything else going forward ever will when you break it down in a return on my investment kind of thing. That Saturday not spent working and doing what I want to do vs what I have to is worth it.

If I buy a cheap washing machine for 200 now and get 3 years out of it or buy a new one for 800 and get a warranty plus 18 years...you do the math.

Not to say if you enjoy fixing things or doing your yard that that is bad. I just dont enjoy doing either enough to not pay someone else.

or you buy both for two bills and do it again in 3-10 yrs....while I can fix 'stuff', I choose to buy and pay for 'things' in the same manner...hell, I have a guy that cleans my house every other week....I've had the same washer/dryer for 10 yrs w/300 out of pocket....

in today's world, I choose commodities cheaply as required unless it's equipment/tools, shoes, tires, coffee and my mary-j ....

the beauty of that is I still can....

choice is a powerful thing.....be glad we can both participate using varying methodologies...that 'works' for me...
04-22-2019 04:51 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

democrats think paying 84 dollars is too much to MAGA. prog filth are filthy. my folks just bought a brand new one, made in America.

but

reeeeeeeeee. muh tarrifs
04-22-2019 06:20 PM
stinkfist Offline

(04-22-2019 06:20 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

democrats think paying 84 dollars is too much to MAGA. prog filth are filthy. my folks just bought a brand new one, made in America.

but

reeeeeeeeee. muh tarrifs

lol....that dayum orange man bad tariff factory builder....

there isn't any room for passive aggressive types when it comes to a war on the USD....

if there is one thingy ol' boy understands, it's how to gain an advantage how money moves...

I'll say it again.....when ya got 'em by the nads, ya simply squeeze a little harder until they squirm and cry "uncle"....

that's how you play that portion of the game with advantage in both pockets....
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2019 06:32 PM by stinkfist.)
04-22-2019 06:30 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(04-22-2019 03:23 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  It's called a trade war for a reason.

Bingo.

People like the OP would have surrendered to Japan after Wake Island and Germany after Kasserine Pass.
04-22-2019 06:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.