Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Strikes Again!
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
NCAA Strikes Again!
NCAA comes down on Cal Poly for books violation

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story...-violation

The NCAA placed Cal Poly on 2 years probation & will force the school to vacate regular season and conference tournament records in "most of its sports programs" because it provided excess money for books.

How much money?

The investigation determined cash stipends resulted in 30 student-athletes exceeding their financial aid limits by an average of $174.57. "On an individual basis, for those student-athletes who received cash that exceeded the cost of books and supplies, the value of the overages ranged from $5 to $734 and totaled $16,180."

Cal Poly self-reported this and will likely have to vacate wins and postseason appearances in every sport over a 3.5-year period.

Yet UNC can offer fake classes and Will Wade is still head coach at LSU.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019 11:24 AM by EverRespect.)
04-19-2019 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: NCAA Strikes Again!
Like I have said numerous times....The NCAA will find away to punish ECU because of UNC's violations.
04-19-2019 12:26 PM
monarx Online
Hall of Famer

The NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations in America. They don't even try to hide it any more. Its so bad, sometimes I hope the P5 do split off and we can bring some ethics and fairness back to the NCAA.
04-19-2019 12:38 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

^ agree 100% sick of the NCAA
04-19-2019 01:53 PM
Advertisement

ODU2011 Offline
1st String

There will be a day when all of this comes back to bite the ncaa. I just hope we’re all alive to see the end of the corruption.
04-19-2019 02:03 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2019 11:23 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Yet UNC can offer fake classes and Will Wade is still head coach at LSU.

The NCAA can only step in if student-athletes are given benefits not afforded to the general student population. By the letter of the law, at least, that was apparently not the case w/r/t the fake UNC classes. Since it couldn't be proven that only student-athletes were allowed to take the classes, the NCAA lacked the jurisdiction to punish the school. That responsibility fell/falls on the school and the accrediting agencies. The NCAA would be overstepping its reach if it decided to punish the school for doing something that wasn't against NCAA regulations. It might be good optics, but disciplinary measures for activity that isn't covered by their own rulebook is a scary precedent, and if you don't like their game now, imagine if they had the ability to discipline schools on a "because I said so" basis.

As for Will Wade, he is the LSU coach right now because LSU chooses to retain him. That may change, and likely will change, but the NCAA cannot compel one of its institutions to fire someone or do it themselves. They can (and I'm guessing will) slap him with a show-cause at some point, but not before an investigation. Right now it's the FBI's game.
04-19-2019 04:22 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

(04-19-2019 04:22 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(04-19-2019 11:23 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Yet UNC can offer fake classes and Will Wade is still head coach at LSU.

The NCAA can only step in if student-athletes are given benefits not afforded to the general student population. By the letter of the law, at least, that was apparently not the case w/r/t the fake UNC classes. Since it couldn't be proven that only student-athletes were allowed to take the classes, the NCAA lacked the jurisdiction to punish the school. That responsibility fell/falls on the school and the accrediting agencies. The NCAA would be overstepping its reach if it decided to punish the school for doing something that wasn't against NCAA regulations. It might be good optics, but disciplinary measures for activity that isn't covered by their own rulebook is a scary precedent, and if you don't like their game now, imagine if they had the ability to discipline schools on a "because I said so" basis.

As for Will Wade, he is the LSU coach right now because LSU chooses to retain him. That may change, and likely will change, but the NCAA cannot compel one of its institutions to fire someone or do it themselves. They can (and I'm guessing will) slap him with a show-cause at some point, but not before an investigation. Right now it's the FBI's game.

How hard do you have to look the other way to not be able to prove this?
04-19-2019 06:00 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2019 06:00 PM)VB Monarch Wrote:  
(04-19-2019 04:22 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

How hard do you have to look the other way to not be able to prove this?

So you KNOW that the classes were offered exclusively to student-athletes? Because the NCAA acknowledges that the fake classes exist. That's not the issue. But the NCAA doesn't have the authority to issue disciplinary actions to bad actions done outside their rulebook. Nobody thinks fake classes are a good thing (I think) but the NCAA isn't within their rights to say "well we think fake classes are wrong so we're going to punish their athletic program for allowing their students to take them." Curriculum integrity is not in the NCAA's wheelhouse. If the classes were only offered to student-athletes, then it's an illegal benefit and they'd be free to come down on the school. And if it can be proven that they *did* look the other way, then that's another issue entirely. But the furor over this has largely fallen on "UNC did a bad thing and we don't care how they get punished or by who, we just want punishment now!"

That may sound all well and good, but I caution you about giving the NCAA more power. If you think they're unfair and arbitrary now, imagine what they'll do if they're given power to punish schools for infractions that don't technically exist in their rules. If you're doubtful of them now, why would you be more relaxed by letting them do even more?
04-19-2019 07:15 PM
VB Monarch Offline
All American

Can't argue with your logic, well said.
04-20-2019 06:10 AM
ODUi Offline
1st String

What about Penn State and Jerry Sandusky... I remember there was an argument that the NCAA had no jurisdiction in the matter yet they still handed out penalty. Isn't there a loophole for lack of institutional control that the NCAA uses or am I off base?
04-20-2019 07:47 AM
Advertisement

ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

04-20-2019 09:28 AM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

Here is the thing, there were benefits awarded that only student-athletes received as part of the UNC scam classes. Coaches colluded with faculty to ensure certain grades were obtained regardless of quality of work presented, to maintain eligibility. Yes, other students, particularly fraternities, were involved in these classes, but they had no eligibility issues at risk. There is your exclusive benefit for student-athletes. Go suck it, NCAA.
04-20-2019 09:57 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

(04-20-2019 07:47 AM)ODUi Wrote:  What about Penn State and Jerry Sandusky... I remember there was an argument that the NCAA had no jurisdiction in the matter yet they still handed out penalty. Isn't there a loophole for lack of institutional control that the NCAA uses or am I off base?

IIRC just about everything the NCAA did wrt PSU/Sandusky was overturned/reduced specifically because of institutional overreach. I also remember something about NCAA colluding with Freeh prior to presenting their findings.
04-21-2019 06:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.