Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU Fraternity helping out with Nutrition Center
Bookmark and Share
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
NIU Fraternity helping out with Nutrition Center
Don't see this type of partnership that often. Great news....Maybe the Phi Sigma Kappa Alumni Convocation Center is next.

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2019/4/16/ge...enter.aspx

Quote:The Phi Sigma Kappa Alumni Association of NIU has committed to a naming rights gift of the Nutrition Center that recently began construction in the east corridor of the Barsema Hall of Champions between the Yordon Center and Kenneth & Ellen Chessick Practice Center.
04-18-2019 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dtownboys Offline
1st String

RE: NIU Fraternity helping out with Nutrition Center
They are always supportive and have done a lot for niu. Greek organizations typically give a lot back to the school. The Greek system has diminished on campus. Would be great to see a healthy and thriving Greek system at niu again.
04-18-2019 01:33 PM
BDB5yp Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Wasn’t Barsema an SAE? It’s smart for the Greek system to get involved, and for the programs to encourage their participation. Nothing like a frat party in the student section.
04-18-2019 02:42 PM
dogdangit Offline
2nd String

(04-18-2019 01:33 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  They are always supportive and have done a lot for niu. Greek organizations typically give a lot back to the school. The Greek system has diminished on campus. Would be great to see a healthy and thriving Greek system at niu again.

With the current attitude the School has on the Greek system, NIU will be lucky to have a Greek system at all within the next decade. The Pike incident is still haunting the school and with all the bad media Greeks had nationwide in just the last to years alone, its not looking good. This month alone, NIU has made it clear that they will shut down Tugs, the greatest tradition Greek life has, just to prove a point. Luckily the only department that still has a positive attitude on Greek life is athletics, although its hard to reciprocate that when we could get kicked off for tailgating a football game.
04-18-2019 05:13 PM
Advertisement

Dtownboys Offline
1st String

(04-18-2019 05:13 PM)dogdangit Wrote:  
(04-18-2019 01:33 PM)Dtownboys Wrote:  They are always supportive and have done a lot for niu. Greek organizations typically give a lot back to the school. The Greek system has diminished on campus. Would be great to see a healthy and thriving Greek system at niu again.

With the current attitude the School has on the Greek system, NIU will be lucky to have a Greek system at all within the next decade. The Pike incident is still haunting the school and with all the bad media Greeks had nationwide in just the last to years alone, its not looking good. This month alone, NIU has made it clear that they will shut down Tugs, the greatest tradition Greek life has, just to prove a point. Luckily the only department that still has a positive attitude on Greek life is athletics, although its hard to reciprocate that when we could get kicked off for tailgating a football game.

For sure. I was trying to be nice about it but 100% correct.
04-18-2019 08:22 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

dog dang it....Why in the world is the university against Tugs?
04-18-2019 08:37 PM
dogdangit Offline
2nd String

(04-18-2019 08:37 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

A wide variety of reason but the main arguments are that it's not "family friendly" (even though its held off campus at UP), 5 out of the 8 fraternities are on some sort of probation, and Greek life staff wouldn't allow those 5 to tug originally. IFC changed Tugs to be more philanthropic by donating proceeds to charities which seemed to work until TKE tried to register for tugs. Then the University came in with threats to shut down tugs altogether if TKE's is allowed to tug since the University no longer recognizes them (which NIU didn't seem to mind TKE participating in other sororities philanthropy events this semester). Then there was a rather excessive "code of conduct" which every organization had to sign and follow and if it is not followed then tugs will also be shut down.
04-18-2019 09:12 PM
Advertisement

thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(04-18-2019 09:12 PM)dogdangit Wrote:  
(04-18-2019 08:37 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

A wide variety of reason but the main arguments are that it's not "family friendly" (even though its held off campus at UP), 5 out of the 8 fraternities are on some sort of probation, and Greek life staff wouldn't allow those 5 to tug originally. IFC changed Tugs to be more philanthropic by donating proceeds to charities which seemed to work until TKE tried to register for tugs. Then the University came in with threats to shut down tugs altogether if TKE's is allowed to tug since the University no longer recognizes them (which NIU didn't seem to mind TKE participating in other sororities philanthropy events this semester). Then there was a rather excessive "code of conduct" which every organization had to sign and follow and if it is not followed then tugs will also be shut down.

Appreciate the answer.

I understand the University & Greek relationships on all campuses are delicate with Safety being #1 as we’ve seen stories throughout the country.

Tugs though...”Is a Tradition unlike any other.”
04-19-2019 06:58 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

Man, half our tugs team was roided to the max. But hey, it was late 80s/early 90s. Who wasn’t?
04-19-2019 07:50 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(04-19-2019 07:50 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Man, half our tugs team was roided to the max. But hey, it was late 80s/early 90s. Who wasn’t?

03-lmfao You’re not helping.
04-19-2019 08:55 AM
Advertisement

NIUSAE Offline
All American

I Root For:
The Greek system all around the country is being tested. Don't remember the school but within the last month or so a school shut down all of the fraternities and sororities without, I believe, a specific incident initiating the shutdown. Outside of Chessick (and he may have been a member of a fraternity undergrad) the biggest donors to the University have been former members of the Greek system. Barsema is an SAE and still supports the chapter and Yordon was also in a fraternity but don't remember which one.
04-19-2019 01:41 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

Shall we talk about hazing? It is OK if nobody dies. Just part of frat life. Just let college administration look the other way. But we give back so much to our schools. It was part of growing up. Times are a changing.
04-19-2019 05:01 PM
stpeterocketfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
(04-19-2019 05:01 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  Shall we talk about hazing? It is OK if nobody dies. Just part of frat life. Just let college administration look the other way. But we give back so much to our schools. It was part of growing up. Times are a changing.

I was in a large fraternity and nobody was hazed when I was part of it. We had a great group of guys that had fun and respected one another. I think its the 80/20 rule just like in life. You hear about the 20% of the bad in all things and then the other 80 percent are guilty by association. If hazing was really that bad, not a lot of people would want to be in a fraternity in my opinion. I am not saying it doesnt happen, but it probably is something like when a person gets bit by a shark or a plane crashes, you are certainly going to hear about it when it does. That being said, the Phi Sigs are NIU appear to be a great fraternity. Good for them and what they stand for!
04-22-2019 03:04 PM
Advertisement

sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(04-19-2019 01:41 PM)NIUSAE Wrote:  The Greek system all around the country is being tested. Don't remember the school but within the last month or so a school shut down all of the fraternities and sororities without, I believe, a specific incident initiating the shutdown. Outside of Chessick (and he may have been a member of a fraternity undergrad) the biggest donors to the University have been former members of the Greek system. Barsema is an SAE and still supports the chapter and Yordon was also in a fraternity but don't remember which one.
Jeff Yordon was a Sigma Pi.
04-22-2019 07:44 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(04-19-2019 05:01 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  Shall we talk about hazing? It is OK if nobody dies. Just part of frat life. Just let college administration look the other way. But we give back so much to our schools. It was part of growing up. Times are a changing.
I don't know what has happened since. But when I pledged Theta Chi at NIU in the early 70s, having was pretty much non existent .
04-22-2019 07:46 PM
HuskieBowWow Offline
All American

I was a member of Phi Sigma Kappa back in the early 70s and it was a great organization even back then. Glad to see they are keeping it classy. It sounds like a couple bad incidents over the years in the Greek community have created a contentious relationship with the university. They don’t seem to understand that properly managed Greek organizations can be a positive component of campus life.
04-23-2019 09:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.