Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Forget about Tubby. Boy Memphis was spared.
Bookmark and Share
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
MyBB Forget about Tubby. Boy Memphis was spared.
Had we kept this Guy this is most likely where our Tigers would be right now. Once the luster of the Cal years were gone, and JP had a track record for coaches to recruit against, this was inevitable for him. Feel bad for Georgia Tech. I always had respect for their program and Cremins.

So grateful for 1 cent.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019 12:54 PM by BIGDTiger.)
04-17-2019 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Forget about Tubby. Boy Memphis was spared.
Odd that he has been unable to recruit ATL?
04-17-2019 01:04 PM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

I Root For: Memphis
(04-17-2019 01:04 PM)cmt Wrote:  Odd that he has been unable to recruit ATL?

My GT friends are quick to remind me that all students have to take calculus, but I doubt that would be an issue for any one-and-done guy he'd go after. He's sure let several big recruits from ATL slip away.
04-17-2019 01:31 PM
Alcalde2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mem
Pastner >>> Tubby

We got lucky to get rid of the second worst coach in the country for us, and went out and nabbed the only one worse
04-17-2019 02:29 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

Wow.
That’s a lot of whiffs.
04-17-2019 02:48 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(04-17-2019 01:31 PM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  

My GT friends are quick to remind me that all students have to take calculus, but I doubt that would be an issue for any one-and-done guy he'd go after. He's sure let several big recruits from ATL slip away.

All that tells me is a lot of athletes get an easy A in calculus.
04-17-2019 03:05 PM
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(04-17-2019 12:52 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Had we kept this Guy this is most likely where our Tigers would be right now. Once the luster of the Cal years were gone, and JP had a track record for coaches to recruit against, this was inevitable for him. Feel bad for Georgia Tech. I always had respect for their program and Cremins.

So grateful for 1 cent.

Tubby never would have went after recruits like that. Cant strike out if you don't try.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019 03:13 PM by MemphisFan95.)
04-17-2019 03:12 PM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
(04-17-2019 03:05 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(04-17-2019 01:31 PM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  

All that tells me is a lot of athletes get an easy A in calculus.

yup
04-17-2019 03:26 PM
RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

[Image: 0.jpg]
04-17-2019 03:35 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(04-17-2019 03:12 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  
(04-17-2019 12:52 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  Had we kept this Guy this is most likely where our Tigers would be right now. Once the luster of the Cal years were gone, and JP had a track record for coaches to recruit against, this was inevitable for him. Feel bad for Georgia Tech. I always had respect for their program and Cremins.

So grateful for 1 cent.

Tubby never would have went after recruits like that. Cant strike out if you don't try.

Difference between Pastner and Tubby that makes Tubby better is at least Tubby could get something out of no stars. I don't think Pastner will ever get over the hump unless his recruiting turns around.
04-17-2019 03:41 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-17-2019 03:41 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

So grateful for 1 cent.

Difference between Pastner and Tubby that makes Tubby better is at least Tubby could get something out of no stars. I don't think Pastner will ever get over the hump unless his recruiting turns around.

I can agree with this. On the other hand, the Tub thrives in mediocrity and it eats Pastner alive. Pastner is rich and not a very happy man. The Tub couldn't be more happy with where he is in life.
04-17-2019 03:47 PM
Advertisement

CUSA_NEWS Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Ligers
(04-17-2019 03:35 PM)RCM1029 Wrote:  [Image: 0.jpg]

[Image: JackNicholson.jpg]
04-17-2019 04:07 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
I liked Pastner and still think he'll be great at the level he belongs at.

I just think his calling is being a mid-major type coach (think Patriot League) who gets good young men to play hard for 4 years and go pro in something other than sports. Not everyone is made to coach high level D1. He'll figure out his place.

Tubby? Legend, but basically retired on our bench.

Wish them both the absolute best, but very glad we got Coach Hardaway.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019 05:20 PM by Sundanceuiuc.)
04-17-2019 05:20 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(04-17-2019 03:47 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  
(04-17-2019 03:41 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

So grateful for 1 cent.

I can agree with this. On the other hand, the Tub thrives in mediocrity and it eats Pastner alive. Pastner is rich and not a very happy man. The Tub couldn't be more happy with where he is in life.

I bet Tubby has a lot of personal, quiet moments where he drops his head and laughs his @SS off.
04-17-2019 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stammers Offline
Legend

(04-17-2019 02:29 PM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  Pastner >>> Tubby

We got lucky to get rid of the second worst coach in the country for us, and went out and nabbed the only one worse
04-17-2019 08:34 PM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-17-2019 05:20 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  I liked Pastner and still think he'll be great at the level he belongs at.

I just think his calling is being a mid-major type coach (think Patriot League) who gets good young men to play hard for 4 years and go pro in something other than sports. Not everyone is made to coach high level D1. He'll figure out his place.

I don't wish Tubby the best. He absolutely robbed us. Pastner OTOH tried his best.
04-17-2019 09:09 PM
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-17-2019 09:09 PM)cmt Wrote:  
(04-17-2019 05:20 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  I liked Pastner and still think he'll be great at the level he belongs at.

I don't wish Tubby the best. He absolutely robbed us. Pastner OTOH tried his best.

I agree with this. Pastner absolutely gave all he had, unfortunately for everyone involved, it just wasn't good enough for Memphis. Tubby just flat didn't care and didn't care that anyone knew he didn't care.
04-17-2019 09:41 PM
Keeper Offline
All American

Tubby's worst coaching year was better than Pastner's best. Pastner's worst recruiting class was better than Tubby's worst. But from here on out NTR
04-17-2019 09:42 PM
Tigerx3 Offline
Hall of Famer

It was no secret what Tubby was. Tubby gave us exactly what his history since Ky indicated he would be. We sought him out aggressively and paid him obscenely. Be upset with who hired him. Epic fail.
04-18-2019 06:37 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
(04-18-2019 06:37 AM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  

It was no secret what Tubby was. Tubby gave us exactly what his history since Ky indicated he would be. We sought him out aggressively and paid him obscenely. Be upset with who hired him. Epic fail.

Tubby is a legend? Not in coaching basketball. He's a legend to slackers everywhere. I'd say he's made more $$ than anyone ever has at being mediocre. He's in a unique club with Bob Uecker.

We got exactly who Tubby is. Don't convince yourself that he was once great. He never has been. He is consistent if nothing else. A true Hall of Fame coach could win big here. A true Hall of Fame coach could kill it at High Point -- those Camels are good tho 01-wingedeagle .

I'm with you cmt. F Tubby. He took the money for the job but never wanted the job. Not the public speakiing part. Not the recruiting part. Not even the coaching part until the writing was on the wall that his goose was cooked.

I'm glad Pastner is not our problem anymore, but the guy works hard and he does have a passion for what he does and for winning. It eats at him. He will succeed somewhere and I believe Sundanceuiuc is right about that as well as being right about what level he'll succeed at.

Wish these chats about previous coaches would die, but then again, Memphis sports is our passion and there aint crap else to talk about now so.....I'm in. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2019 06:56 AM by gusrob.)
04-18-2019 06:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.