Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Nancy Now Acting as Secretary of State
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Nancy Now Acting as Secretary of State
Quote:House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, speaking on foreign soil Wednesday, created some domestic tensions over President Trump’s call for a U.S.-U.K. trade deal should Britain leave the European Union -- telling the Irish Parliament that such a deal stands “no chance” if Brexit hurts the 1998 Irish peace accords.

"I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, we must ensure that nothing happens in Brexit discussions that imperils the Good Friday accord – including, but not limited to, the seamless border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland," she told the Irish Parliament.

"Let me be clear: if the Brexit deal undermines the Good Friday accords, there will be no chance of a U.S.-U.K. trade agreement," said Pelosi, D-Calif., who is in the country as part of a U.S. delegation.

Pelosi’s reference to the Good Friday agreement refers to a complex issue related to Britain’s departure from the bloc, and how to reconcile trade between Northern Ireland (part of the U.K. and therefore leaving the bloc) and the independent Ireland (which would be staying in the E.U.) without the formation of a “hard border” between the two. The Good Friday Agreement brought an end to "The Troubles" that dogged Ireland for decades, and brought closer cooperation between Ireland and Northern Ireland -- including allowing people in Northern Ireland to identify as Irish, British or both.

Pro-Brexit lawmakers have objected to the inclusion in Prime Minister Theresa May’s withdrawal plan of a “backstop” -- a safety net by which the whole U.K. would remain in a customs union until a trade deal with the E.U. is secured. The fight over the backstop has been the main reason that May has struggled to get her deal through the British Parliament, and that Brexit has therefore been delayed until Oct. 31.

Some “Brexiteers” have indicated they are in favor of a “no deal” Brexit, whereby Britain leaves without a formal withdrawal agreement and reverts to World Trade Organization (WTO) terms, which opponents have warned could result in a “hard border" between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

But Pelosi’s remarks come after the White House, as well as Republican allies in Congress, have been renewing calls for a U.S.-U.K. deal. Any such deal would require congressional approval -- including in the House.

Pelosi’s comments appeared to have disgruntled lawmakers keen on a harder form of Brexit. According to the Irish Times, Pelosi made similar comments in a meeting with British lawmakers belonging to the pro-Brexit European Research Group (ERG) -- who have brushed off concerns about a “no deal” Brexit and have opposed May’s backstop solution.

Rep. Brendan Boyle, D-Pa., told the Times that while the majority of politicians they met with appreciated the delegation’s position, the ERG “were not exactly pleased.”

“The one exception clearly was the ERG who never explicitly accused us of taking sides but, as they expressed it, it is clear that their world view is that the Border issue is ‘concocted’ and that it is really just being used by Remainers in London, Brussels, Dublin and Washington all in some sort of grand conspiracy to force them to do something that they don’t want to do,” he said.

Pelosi’s remarks are likely to be seen by Brexit supporters as the latest effort by Democrats to ward the U.K. away from a departure from the E.U. Former President Barack Obama, just weeks before the 2016 referendum, famously warned Brits that the U.K. would be “back of the queue” for a trade deal if it left the E.U.

The country voted to leave the E.U. anyway.

Link
04-17-2019 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
RE: Nancy Now Acting as Secretary of State
I'm not sure she has the authority to make such statements on behalf of the US.
04-17-2019 12:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: Nancy Now Acting as Secretary of State
(04-17-2019 12:53 PM)gdunn Wrote:  I'm not sure she has the authority to make such statements on behalf of the US.

We all know what would happen if a Republican made such statements.
04-17-2019 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.