Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Globalist Liberaltarian Bill Weld announces bid for GOP Presidential nomination
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Globalist Liberaltarian Bill Weld announces bid for GOP Presidential nomination
https://www.wmur.com/article/republican-...n/27153885

Quote:Two months after former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld launched an exploratory committee to pursue the possibility of challenging President Donald Trump for the Republican presidential nomination, he is now an officially declared candidate.

Weld made the announcement Monday evening in a more than three-minute video

Quote:The video says that Weld was the first Republican governor of Massachusetts in more than 20 years, calls him a “crime fighter” who as governor cut taxes, reformed the welfare program and balanced the state’s budget, while making the state safer. The video shows clips of his television advertisement during his 1990 campaign for the office.

Weld announced his exploratory on Feb. 15 at a Politics and Eggs breakfast at the Bedford Village Inn, calling Trump unstable, vindictive, “a schoolyard bully” and unfit for the presidency.

State Republican Chair Steve Stepanek said at the time Weld would not be welcome in the NHGOP because as the vice presidential nominee of the Libertarian Party in 2016, he declared that he would be a “Libertarian for life.”

Although Weld made his announcement Monday, he has been officially on file as a candidate since April 1. Federal Election Commission records show that Weld filed a statement of candidacy and a statement of organization for the Weld 2020 Presidential Campaign Committee on that date.

Weld will follow up today's announcement with two full days of campaigning in the Granite State beginning Tuesday.
04-15-2019 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
RE: Globalist Liberaltarian Bill Weld announces bid for GOP Presidential nomination
Nice, someone for the sadomasochist "principled conservatism" types (ben shapiro, bill kristol, david french) to get behind, only for him to get <1% in Iowa and drop out the next day.

Will be hilarious.
04-15-2019 04:40 PM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
RE: Globalist Liberaltarian Bill Weld announces bid for GOP Presidential nomination
Did he get a nickname yet?
04-15-2019 05:19 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
If I were Trump I'd be worried, he might only win by 98%, if that Weld guy wasn't running he's certainly win the primary by 100%.
04-15-2019 05:58 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(04-15-2019 05:19 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  Did he get a nickname yet?

droopy dog
04-15-2019 06:56 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
[Image: 5cb4f01faefeef25cd16b9b8-750-375.jpg]

Looks like George Will without glasses
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019 07:21 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
04-15-2019 07:20 PM
Advertisement

swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
He’ll do.
04-15-2019 07:44 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
I just saw a note that said the last four incumbent presidents who received a primary challenger weren't re-elected -- Lyndon Johnson in 1968, Gerald Ford in 1976, Jimmy Carter in 1980, and George Bush in 1992. Now before you go and blast me for that comment, yes I realize LBJ ended up not running for re-election (although he had challengers before that announcement). And yes, I realize Trump's popularity within his party is much higher than the four presidents I just mentioned. And perhaps that note is incorrect - I saw it on reddit.

I do wonder if anyone else runs against Trump in the primaries. And remember now, the Democrats - who all of you already assume are without integrity - could easily register as Republicans for a primary just to vote against Trump. That would basically be them saying they don't care which Democratic candidate ends up being the nominee. I certainly don't have a #1 D candidate at this point (but I highly doubt I'd do which I just mentioned as a scenario unless perhaps Kasich runs as a Republican).
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019 07:55 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
04-15-2019 07:55 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(04-15-2019 07:55 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I just saw a note that said the last four incumbent presidents who received a primary challenger weren't re-elected -- Lyndon Johnson in 1968, Gerald Ford in 1976, Jimmy Carter in 1980, and George Bush in 1992. Now before you go and blast me for that comment, yes I realize LBJ ended up not running for re-election (although he had challengers before that announcement). And yes, I realize Trump's popularity within his party is much higher than the four presidents I just mentioned. And perhaps that note is incorrect - I saw it on reddit.

I do wonder if anyone else runs against Trump in the primaries. And remember now, the Democrats - who all of you already assume are without integrity - could easily register as Republicans for a primary just to vote against Trump. That would basically be them saying they don't care which Democratic candidate ends up being the nominee. I certainly don't have a #1 D candidate at this point (but I highly doubt I'd do which I just mentioned as a scenario unless perhaps Kasich runs as a Republican).

does this make you giddy. 03-lmfao

got him now. 03-lmfao
04-15-2019 08:09 PM
Kaplony Offline

(04-15-2019 07:55 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I just saw a note that said the last four incumbent presidents who received a primary challenger weren't re-elected -- Lyndon Johnson in 1968, Gerald Ford in 1976, Jimmy Carter in 1980, and George Bush in 1992. Now before you go and blast me for that comment, yes I realize LBJ ended up not running for re-election (although he had challengers before that announcement). And yes, I realize Trump's popularity within his party is much higher than the four presidents I just mentioned. And perhaps that note is incorrect - I saw it on reddit.

Your information is incorrect. Harold Stassen ran against Reagan in the 1984 Republican Primary, and there were nine different candidates on the New Hampshire ballot in the 2004 Republican primary.
04-15-2019 08:10 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
https://csnbbs.com/thread-849291.html

It sounds like several regulars here in the Spin Room are very much on board for Weld (although they were expecting him to run as a Libertarian and not as a Republican). GTS in particular seems to like him quite a bit.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019 08:13 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
04-15-2019 08:13 PM
Advertisement

q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
"Globalist Liberaltarian"

I assume you mean Globalist Libertarian... Im not commenting on the misspelling... but what exactly is a Globalist Libertarian?

Globalist: A person who wants a single centralized world 'government' and is opposed to national sovereignty and self-governance.

Libertarian: A person who like small government and personal freedom and liberty.

How exactly do those go together?
04-15-2019 08:24 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-15-2019 08:10 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Your information is incorrect. Harold Stassen ran against Reagan in the 1984 Republican Primary, and there were nine different candidates on the New Hampshire ballot in the 2004 Republican primary.

Stassen? It says here his 1984 campaign was a limited campaign intended, he said, to move Reagans stance on arms limitation talks toward the center.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-x...story.html

But I'll grant you a limited campaign is perhaps good enough - I'll mention him on reddit for you.

And I looked it up - these are the last names of the people who ran against Bush in 2004in New Hampshire -- Ashby, Bosa, Buchanan, Callis, Gostigian, Haines, Harnes, Howard, Laughlin, O'Connor, Rigazio, Taylor and Wyatt. Or at least those were Republicans who received votes in the Republican Primary. Outside of Buchanan (Pat?), I have no idea who any of those people are. They could have been write-in folks for all I know. Pat Buchanan did not officially run in 2004. None of them got more than 1000 total votes - less than two Democrats did on the Republican primary ballot (Wesley Clark and Howard Dean).

http://sos.nh.gov/2004RepPresPrim.aspx?id=2559

I am not giving you 2004 unless you can show that these people actually ran real campaigns.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019 08:31 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
04-15-2019 08:30 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

democrats can't win with ideas. they get giddy over the idea of dividing free thinkers while marching in lock step to their hatred of America.

sad bigly
04-15-2019 08:50 PM
Kaplony Offline

(04-15-2019 08:24 PM)q5sys Wrote:  "Globalist Liberaltarian"

I assume you mean Globalist Libertarian... Im not commenting on the misspelling... but what exactly is a Globalist Libertarian?

Globalist: A person who wants a single centralized world 'government' and is opposed to national sovereignty and self-governance.

Libertarian: A person who like small government and personal freedom and liberty.

Check out Weld's stance on the issues. Not just what he says, but throughout his career. He's flipped and flopped on issues more than a Cirque du Soleil acrobat.

The only "libertarian" ideals he supports are open borders and isolationism.

He is a huge supporter of the UN, and was part of a Council on Foreign Relations panel that pushed for the North American version of the EU that would control our immigration, trade, and customs.

He's an outspoken gun control proponent, calling AR-15's "weapons of mass destruction" and saying that pistols are even worse. He's also pushed for "assault" weapons bans and limits on the number of firearms that can be owned as Governor.

He's an environazi who tried to get the EPA to implement both stricter than existing smog regulations and an electric car mandate as Governor of Massachusetts.
04-15-2019 09:03 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(04-15-2019 08:24 PM)q5sys Wrote:  "Globalist Liberaltarian"

Globalism isn't just about world government, it's about free movement of labor and the resulting race to the bottom.

Basically, a ben shapiro. Someone that will sell their country and it's people down the toilet if it means they can get their inputs, widgets, and chinese slave goods for a fraction of a penny less than before.

Listen to this, Tucker spanks him.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2019 09:18 PM by Kronke.)
04-15-2019 09:05 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline

(04-15-2019 08:30 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  
(04-15-2019 08:10 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Stassen? It says here his 1984 campaign was a limited campaign intended, he said, to move Reagans stance on arms limitation talks toward the center.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-x...story.html

But I'll grant you a limited campaign is perhaps good enough - I'll mention him on reddit for you.

And I looked it up - these are the last names of the people who ran against Bush in 2004in New Hampshire -- Ashby, Bosa, Buchanan, Callis, Gostigian, Haines, Harnes, Howard, Laughlin, O'Connor, Rigazio, Taylor and Wyatt. Or at least those were Republicans who received votes in the Republican Primary. Outside of Buchanan (Pat?), I have no idea who any of those people are. They could have been write-in folks for all I know. Pat Buchanan did not officially run in 2004. None of them got more than 1000 total votes - less than two Democrats did on the Republican primary ballot (Wesley Clark and Howard Dean).

http://sos.nh.gov/2004RepPresPrim.aspx?id=2559

I am not giving you 2004 unless you can show that these people actually ran real campaigns.

Their campaigns will be just as effective as Weld's. Republicans aren't going to be duped by this charlatan like the liberaltarians were. There's a reason why when he was nominated to be Ambassador to Mexico by Clinton the Republican held Senate didn't even give him a hearing. He isn't a Republican in any way, shape, or form.
04-15-2019 09:06 PM
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
(04-15-2019 09:03 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  The only "libertarian" ideals he supports are open borders and isolationism.

He is a huge supporter of the UN, and was part of a Council on Foreign Relations panel that pushed for the North American version of the EU that would control our immigration, trade, and customs.

So an isolationist that doesn't want to be isolated?
04-15-2019 09:14 PM
Kaplony Offline

(04-15-2019 09:14 PM)q5sys Wrote:  
(04-15-2019 09:03 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  The only "libertarian" ideals he supports are open borders and isolationism.

So an isolationist that doesn't want to be isolated?

Give him time and tell him the political winds support it and he'll come out in support of a third option. Like I said, he's flipped and flopped more than a Cirque du Soleil acrobat.
04-15-2019 09:26 PM
Native Georgian Online
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
I get it that Weld’s agenda is to weaken Trump as much as possible, any way possible. That’s fair.

What I don’t get is, how is Weld’s candidacy going to inflict any actual, real-world damage on Trump? When Weld rolls home with 7% or whatever in New Hampshire (and less than that everywhere else), what is the political media going to say?
04-15-2019 10:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.