Just lost their best player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-13-2019 07:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
RE: ULM WR RJ Turner is transferring
(04-13-2019 07:09 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  Good Lord.

This whole thing was designed for talented players to leave their initial commitment behind and move to another level given the opportunity. It's another move by the P5 to drain off any talent in the G5 and give them more separation. I don't blame the kids. I sure understand they're trying to punch their ticket. But the system isn't fair. Not even close. Time to break away from the P5 and the NCAA.
04-13-2019 07:56 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-13-2019 07:56 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  
(04-13-2019 07:09 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  Good Lord.

This whole thing was designed for talented players to leave their initial commitment behind and move to another level given the opportunity. It's another move by the P5 to drain off any talent in the G5 and give them more separation. I don't blame the kids. I sure understand they're trying to punch their ticket. But the system isn't fair. Not even close. Time to break away from the P5 and the NCAA.

New system is going to make it extremely difficult for teams with one clear star player at this level. Too much incentive for that one player to move and get noticed by the NFL. If you've got multiple stars, you can either survive those that do leave, or better yet, share enough of the load among your top players that no single player is going to get enough notice to leave.

I also feel that the system is going to reward heavy JUCO recruiting at the G5 level, JUCO kids are far less likely to be eligible for a grad transfer, and don't have enough of their eligibility clock left to transfer normally.

Top G5 teams like Boise will thrive, consistent performers will do well. The teams that will struggle will be the ULM's of the world, who on paper don't have enough to compete with the best, but also aren't the worst either. Just far enough away from the spotlight that kids will not have the eyeballs they want, but not far enough away that the P5's won't notice.
04-13-2019 11:23 PM
chiefsfan Offline

I'll also add that teams that thrive on very specific offensive systems that aren't widely in use among larger programs will do well. System teams (See. Southern, Georgia) No P5 on earth will ever court Shai Wertz because they'd never let him play QB there, making the odds he leaves much lower. Won't protect the defensive side of the ball, but my guess is we're going to see far more offensive players leaving than defensive.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2019 11:30 PM by chiefsfan.)
04-13-2019 11:30 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-13-2019 07:56 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  This whole thing was designed for talented players to leave their initial commitment behind and move to another level given the opportunity. It's another move by the P5 to drain off any talent in the G5 and give them more separation. I don't blame the kids. I sure understand they're trying to punch their ticket. But the system isn't fair. Not even close. Time to break away from the P5 and the NCAA.

Don't think that will make it better at all.

This is all driven by the fear of lawsuits and the nonsense narrative that college athletes are an oppressed class. I think even mid-level Power 5s like the South Carolinas and NC States and Mississippi States realize they to are going to become the farm system for the elite Power 5s and if they don't like this much more than we do.

I would like to see the O'Bannon case end up in the Supreme Court and the federal court ruling get obliterated. That, or some minor league football organization like the AAF needs to grow a pair and let elite high school players right out of high school get a pay check so there's no more room for whining that the NCAA is the only way to the NFL.
04-14-2019 09:35 AM
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(04-13-2019 07:56 PM)sdcritter Wrote:  This whole thing was designed for talented players to leave their initial commitment behind and move to another level given the opportunity. It's another move by the P5 to drain off any talent in the G5 and give them more separation. I don't blame the kids. I sure understand they're trying to punch their ticket. But the system isn't fair. Not even close. Time to break away from the P5 and the NCAA.

100% agree, except I don't want to leave the NCAA. I want the P5 to grow a pair and leave.

To me, the group that leaves the NCAA will be paying players as a true semi-pro ball. I don't want to incur that expense. Let the P5 move away and be who they are.
Leave the G5 to be what we are... college sports.
04-14-2019 03:51 PM
debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(04-14-2019 03:51 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

100% agree, except I don't want to leave the NCAA. I want the P5 to grow a pair and leave.

To me, the group that leaves the NCAA will be paying players as a true semi-pro ball. I don't want to incur that expense. Let the P5 move away and be who they are.
Leave the G5 to be what we are... college sports.

I like this idea, especially since it probably wouldn’t be the whole P5 breaking off. Some of our schools could get in a conference with the leftovers and possibly be better off for it.
04-14-2019 05:34 PM
debragga Offline
1st String

The word on our board is that he might be transferring back home to FCS Northwestern State
04-14-2019 06:01 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
ULM WR RJ Turner is transferring
(04-14-2019 06:01 PM)debragga Wrote:  The word on our board is that he might be transferring back home to FCS Northwestern State

We need to leave the G5 behind damnit. Guys can’t just transfer to FCS! It’s a conspiracy!

04-14-2019 06:02 PM
Warhawkman Offline
2nd String

I was about to say lol he's definitely not our best player. Probably was the third best receiver last year. Also dropped a couple TDs if my memory is correct. Nw state makes sense he's definitely not Alabama caliber or whatever
04-14-2019 11:04 PM
Advertisement

WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-14-2019 11:04 PM)Warhawkman Wrote:  I was about to say lol he's definitely not our best player. Probably was the third best receiver last year. Also dropped a couple TDs if my memory is correct. Nw state makes sense he's definitely not Alabama caliber or whatever

Second in catches and second in yards. Marcus Green was actually who I was thinking of and he was the best. AJ would have been the best returning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-15-2019 06:25 AM
Golota76 Offline
2nd String

(04-15-2019 06:25 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(04-14-2019 11:04 PM)Warhawkman Wrote:  I was about to say lol he's definitely not our best player. Probably was the third best receiver last year. Also dropped a couple TDs if my memory is correct. Nw state makes sense he's definitely not Alabama caliber or whatever

Second in catches and second in yards. Marcus Green was actually who I was thinking of and he was the best. AJ would have been the best returning.

He has talent but has a horrible attitude. Under performed and drops wide wide open passes. A lot us saw this coming and are happy he’s gone out of the wr meeting room with our young guys. Look for Xavier Brown who got a 5th year waiver, Markis McCray who also got 5th year waiver to step up. I have a feeling Zach Jackson RS sophomore could be the #1 option during the season. Wr isn’t a position I’m too concerned about.
04-15-2019 04:36 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(04-15-2019 04:36 PM)Golota76 Wrote:  
(04-15-2019 06:25 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  

He has talent but has a horrible attitude. Under performed and drops wide wide open passes. A lot us saw this coming and are happy he’s gone out of the wr meeting room with our young guys. Look for Xavier Brown who got a 5th year waiver, Markis McCray who also got 5th year waiver to step up. I have a feeling Zach Jackson RS sophomore could be the #1 option during the season. Wr isn’t a position I’m too concerned about.

Losing a player that has a horrible attitude is never much of a loss. In fact, most times it turns out to be very positive for the team. I'd say good bye, and good riddance Mr. Turner.
04-16-2019 05:52 AM
Golota76 Offline
2nd String

He allegedly was upset Green was getting the focus on the offense during the season. Had some weird cryptic tweets. He and Evan’s are in the same frat and it’s probably better he’s gone. He would have been in Evans ear about forcing the ball to him. Hope it works out for him. Adios!
04-16-2019 06:13 AM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

Turner transferring is a head scratcher. Not sure what big team would take him. Stepping down to an FCS limits exposure but could be bigger receiving numbers. It wasn't like he wasn't denied touches or opportunities. He was definitely in line to be the #1 WR on the team.

Rumor is he had a bad attitude and some of his tweets seem to indicate that, especially towards the end of the season. Tons of young guys will talent and speed. Jackson should have a good year. Young guys like Bloomfield and Carter will have their opportunities to get touches. Malik Jackson was making some noise in practice as a true freshman until he got hurt. If he has fully recovered, then we should see him on the field. Also look for the TEs to be used more (they all got hurt at one point last year). Darling is 6'7", Pederson is 6'5', Lamm is 6'4", and Hickman is 6'3" and is the fastest of the bunch. If they stay healthy, there should be some match up problems.

So, it would have been nice to keep him but not that upset he is gone.
04-16-2019 01:44 PM
Advertisement

debragga Offline
1st String

He ended up at Texas Tech

05-06-2019 02:38 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-06-2019 02:38 PM)debragga Wrote:  He ended up at Texas Tech

That’s not exactly northwestern state
05-06-2019 02:45 PM
WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-06-2019 02:45 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Hard to believe those ULM insiders had this one wrong.

05-06-2019 03:02 PM
stAte_3 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-06-2019 03:02 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(05-06-2019 02:45 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Hard to believe those ULM insiders had this one wrong.

You heard them, they don’t need him anyway.
05-06-2019 03:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.