Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question about a candidate that’s being mentioned
Bookmark and Share
Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
Question about a candidate that’s being mentioned
Why does so many people want Jay Ladner ??? I’m not at all saying that he is not a good coach or whatever, heck... he might be the very one to turn our basketball program over and win the National Championship...but based on his record at SLU, I don’t understand why he’s favored by so many to be our next coach. I know he was pretty good at JCJC but this is a whole new ballgame at Div I. Just wanting your thoughts..

I think we should go with Greg Heair, because he has a better track record...but I was just wanting some positive feedback as to why some like Jay Ladner. Thanks
04-13-2019 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

RE: Question about a candidate that’s being mentioned
Some here know him and who wouldn’t want their friend to get the job. But I agree, record isn’t impressive. It’s just as difficult here to recruit and compete, perhaps even more so, than at Southeastern. Not sure why he’s so highly wanted.
04-13-2019 09:17 AM
Jayesseagle Offline
Special Teams

(04-13-2019 09:17 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  Some here know him and who wouldn’t want their friend to get the job. But I agree, record isn’t impressive. It’s just as difficult here to recruit and compete, perhaps even more so, than at Southeastern. Not sure why he’s so highly wanted.

I understand that about he may have lots of friends here in Hattiesburg and I’m sure he a great person and a good coach, but I just hope they pick the best qualified candidate to be our next MBB coach, whether he’s “one of us” or whether he’s from Nova Scotia ...just pick the best candidate possible amongst them
04-13-2019 10:38 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
What about Steve Knight. Beat Doc every year with a NAIA team? ***
04-14-2019 08:38 PM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

I see on Twitter where the 1987 NIT Championship team has sent a letter of endorsement for Jay Ladner. I just hope many of the people on that list as well as fans in general that are throwing their support for Ladner buy season tickets AND show up for a majority of the games if he gets the job. Hell, they need to buy tickets AND show up regardless of who the coach is if they want to see the program succeed.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 09:59 AM by usm99.)
04-16-2019 09:58 AM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(04-16-2019 09:58 AM)usm99 Wrote:  I just hope AND if.

A maybe away from success.
04-16-2019 10:49 AM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

I do not envy Jeremy's position. He walked right into one. Picking between Ladner with that NIT player endorsement, Spoon, currently an assistant and most decorated player in history and the La Tech assistant coming off Championship game. They all have positives they bring to the table. Spoon's my fav player of all time. Mark Adams of Tex Tech prob safest bet as best coach. However, Ladner and Spoon would likely stay here for life, so would be great...IF they were successful here.

Not an easy decision to make.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2019 01:52 PM by Reggie Favre.)
04-16-2019 01:52 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(04-13-2019 08:28 AM)Jayesseagle Wrote:  Why does so many people want Jay Ladner ??? I’m not at all saying that he is not a good coach or whatever, heck... he might be the very one to turn our basketball program over and win the National Championship...but based on his record at SLU, I don’t understand why he’s favored by so many to be our next coach. I know he was pretty good at JCJC but this is a whole new ballgame at Div I. Just wanting your thoughts..

I think we should go with Greg Heair, because he has a better track record...but I was just wanting some positive feedback as to why some like Jay Ladner. Thanks

b/c they're fk'n idiots....that's why...
04-16-2019 02:19 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

the only way to hold on to a coach forever is for the results to be bad to average... maybe an occasional great season. Hire doesn't need to be 'one of us'. Doesn't need to 'understand our cash issues'. The HC needs to be exciting, energetic and a really good basketball coach. When they leave in 4-6 years, we'll replace him with another great coach.
04-17-2019 06:40 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

... and who cares if players from a team that won a NIT championship 31 years ago endorses someone. Should mean nothing in the decision making process.
04-17-2019 06:44 AM
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

It *should* mean nothing. But we’re Southern Miss. We tout that NIT Championship like we won 5 NCAA Championships in a row.
04-17-2019 07:09 AM
Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USM
(04-17-2019 06:40 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  the only way to hold on to a coach forever is for the results to be bad to average...
Like Berry and McNelis for example.
04-17-2019 07:20 AM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(04-17-2019 06:40 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  the only way to hold on to a coach forever is for the results to be bad to average... maybe an occasional great season. Hire doesn't need to be 'one of us'. Doesn't need to 'understand our cash issues'. The HC needs to be exciting, energetic and a really good basketball coach. When they leave in 4-6 years, we'll replace him with another great coach.

I've beat that same drum every time there is a coaching hire for any sport. I was thrilled with the Fedora hire, then our leadership went back to the same old tired and pathetic game plan for hiring - and we got a tired and pathetic coach. I thought they learned from that when they hired Monken, but... well I guess the jury is still out on how it works out with Hop but it's closing in fast. The goal should ALWAYS be to hire the best coach available, and just put in a reasonable buy-out (not sure buy-out is the right term - not what we pay him to leave, but what has to be paid to us if someone takes him) clause in the contract that gets smaller as the years go by. I don't care if they leave after one year as long as we get enough money to make it worth it. The only way a head coach leaves after 1 or 2 years is if he does something extraordinary anyway.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019 11:08 AM by Up2stuff.)
04-17-2019 11:03 AM
Advertisement

BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(04-17-2019 07:09 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  It *should* mean nothing. But we’re Southern Miss. We tout that NIT Championship like we won 5 NCAA Championships in a row.

THIS. Most overrated moment at USM ever. The fact we think it's so great shows our love for mediocrity.
04-17-2019 01:18 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

Looked up Ladner's salary at SE La and the most recent i could find was his contract from the start of the 2016-17 season which would've been his 3rd season there. He did sign a contract extension after the 2017-18 season that extended his contract through the 2020-21 season. Some of the basics and again this is from his contract in 2016 so not sure what may have been renegotiated with his extension 2 years after this contract:

- base pay of $100,575
- buyout of $100,575 (his base pay) if he leaves after first year, $80k after year 2, $60k after year 3
- conference coach of the year bonus of $250 (not a typo, $250 dollars)

Considering we were paying Doc a base of $350k it makes me wonder if Ladner took a hometown discount to help the budget and his case for getting hired or did we pony up and give him a massive pay raise?
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2019 05:41 PM by usm99.)
04-22-2019 04:02 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

I mean, I could personally give a better bonus than that.
04-22-2019 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.