Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News First image of a black hole released
king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
First image of a black hole released
Link Here

Is being announced live right now on all the major networks.

This is amazing but the WAY they did it is really cool for tech nerds like me.

Enjoy.

April 10, 2019

The Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) -- a planet-scale array of eight ground-based radio telescopes forged through international collaboration -- was designed to capture images of a black hole.

Today, in coordinated press conferences across the globe, EHT researchers reveal that they have succeeded, unveiling the first direct visual evidence of a supermassive black hole and its shadow.

This breakthrough was announced in a series of six papers published in a special issue of The Astrophysical Journal Letters. The image reveals the black hole at the center of Messier 87, a massive galaxy in the nearby Virgo galaxy cluster. This black hole resides 55 million light-years from Earth and has a mass 6.5-billion times that of the Sun.

"This is a huge day in astrophysics," said NSF Director France Córdova. "We're seeing the unseeable. Black holes have sparked imaginations for decades. They have exotic properties and are mysterious to us. Yet with more observations like this one they are yielding their secrets. This is why NSF exists. We enable scientists and engineers to illuminate the unknown, to reveal the subtle and complex majesty of our universe."

The EHT links telescopes around the globe to form an Earth-sized virtual telescope with unprecedented sensitivity and resolution. The EHT is the result of years of international collaboration and offers scientists a new way to study the most extreme objects in the Universe predicted by Einstein's general relativity during the centennial year of the historic experiment that first confirmed the theory.

"We have taken the first picture of a black hole," said EHT project director Sheperd S. Doeleman of the Center for Astrophysics | Harvard & Smithsonian. "This is an extraordinary scientific feat accomplished by a team of more than 200 researchers."

The National Science Foundation (NSF) played a pivotal role in this discovery by funding individual investigators, interdisciplinary scientific teams and radio astronomy research facilities since the inception of EHT. Over the last two decades, NSF has directly funded more than $28 million in EHT research, the largest commitment of resources for the project.

Black holes are extraordinary cosmic objects with enormous masses but extremely compact sizes. The presence of these objects affects their environment in extreme ways, warping spacetime and super-heating any surrounding material.

"If immersed in a bright region, like a disc of glowing gas, we expect a black hole to create a dark region similar to a shadow -- something predicted by Einstein's general relativity that we've never seen before," explained chair of the EHT Science Council Heino Falcke of Radboud University, the Netherlands. "This shadow, caused by the gravitational bending and capture of light by the event horizon, reveals a lot about the nature of these fascinating objects and allowed us to measure the enormous mass of M87's black hole."
04-10-2019 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: First image of a black hole released
Fun stuff. I've always been a total space and astronomy nerd.

I had my tasco telescopes and was scanning the night sky for hours at 7 years old. I was able to name off the planets, their moons and all the details about the solar system in the 2nd grade.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 08:53 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-10-2019 08:25 AM
king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

(04-10-2019 08:25 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Fun stuff. I've always been a total space and astronomy nerd.

I have my tasco telescopes and was scanning the night sky for hours at 7 years old. I was able to name off the planets, their moons and all the details about the solar system in the 2nd grade.

Off topic, but ftr, I really enjoyed our back and forth the other day and wanted to thank you for the food for thought that I took out of it. I've done some deep reading into a lot of it since and am very intrigued by trying to understand it all. Likely fruitless as there's just stuff that I think we aren't meant to get but it's sure fun seeking the knowledge.

I reread all of Job and can see the argument being made now that it's likely a dinosaur being described. The clincher (for me) was the armor plates on its back. It defies all explanation for science findings but it's hard to argue anything other than that. IF you suspend belief for a sec and say man wrote the Bible without divine inspiration the question remains - how did they know about dinosaurs if they died out millions of years ago.

It's certainly a head scratcher and leads me to look further and further. I sure hope once we die it all becomes clear or gets explained to us.

55 million light years away flies in the face of a young Earth.

Anyway 04-cheers Eric.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 08:37 AM by king king.)
04-10-2019 08:36 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(04-10-2019 08:36 AM)king king Wrote:  
(04-10-2019 08:25 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Fun stuff. I've always been a total space and astronomy nerd.

I have my tasco telescopes and was scanning the night sky for hours at 7 years old. I was able to name off the planets, their moons and all the details about the solar system in the 2nd grade.

Off topic, but ftr, I really enjoyed our back and forth the other day and wanted to thank you for the food for thought that I took out of it. I've done some deep reading into a lot of it since and am very intrigued by trying to understand it all. Likely fruitless as there's just stuff that I think we aren't meant to get but it's sure fun seeking the knowledge.

I reread all of Job and can see the argument being made now that it's likely a dinosaur being described. The clincher (for me) was the armor plates on its back. It defies all explanation for science findings but it's hard to argue anything other than that. IF you suspend belief for a sec and say man wrote the Bible without divine inspiration the question remains - how did they know about dinosaurs if they died out millions of years ago.

It's certainly a head scratcher and leads me to look further and further. I sure hope once we die it all becomes clear or gets explained to us.

Anyway 04-cheers Eric.

Well this post made my heart jump for joy. 04-cheers

Thanks for the kind words, and I too always enjoy discussing these things. As far as the apparent dinosaur in Job, its the tail like a ceder that also is a clincher for many people. Based on our current understanding, he apparently was describing a sauropod (Brontosaurus type creature)

If we believe in God as our Creator, there really is no issue with science at all concerning creation. He has the ability to make very old things, they can be ancient the moment they are made, including the distance it takes light to travel. He can make light from millions or billions of light years away already here at the moment of creation.

He made Adam a grown man, having fast forwarded the entire process of his birth and growth to a specific point.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 08:51 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-10-2019 08:48 AM
king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

(04-10-2019 08:48 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

Anyway 04-cheers Eric.

Thanks for the kind words, and I too always enjoy discussing these things. As far as the apparent dinosaur in Job, its the tail like a ceder that also is a clincher for many people. Based on our current understanding, he apparently was describing a sauropod (Brontosaurus type creature)

If we believe in God as our Creator, there really is no issue with science at all concerning creation. He has the ability to make very old things, they can be ancient the moment they are made, including the distance it takes light to travel. He can make light from millions or billions of light years away already here at the moment of creation.

He made Adam a grown man, having fast forwarded the entire process of his birth and growth to a specific point.

No doubt. But then that totally invalidates all of the laws of nature as we know them. E=MC2 becomes null and void, however we can use it to identify the processes at work in the black hole being observed here.

If it's true, it begs the question why we'd be shown one thing and then our level of intellect leads us to understand it based on how we can in a totally contradictory way. It's almost designed to be confusing is a possible takeaway.

We should just never have eaten the apple. LOL.
04-10-2019 09:04 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Neat!

[Image: fbc550d3-c39e-403d-afd3-2b4817e0a357-AFP...;auto=webp]
04-10-2019 09:14 AM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(04-10-2019 09:04 AM)king king Wrote:  

Anyway 04-cheers Eric.

No doubt. But then that totally invalidates all of the laws of nature as we know them. E=MC2 becomes null and void, however we can use it to identify the processes at work in the black hole being observed here.

If it's true, it begs the question why we'd be shown one thing and then our level of intellect leads us to understand it based on how we can in a totally contradictory way. It's almost designed to be confusing is a possible takeaway.

I don't think it invalidates them at all, just shows He has authority over all of creation. Its just a matter of opinion I guess. 04-cheers

Its really best we did eat the apple long term. Its a struggle right now but in the end it means we can be crowned with His Glory in a righteous manner above all other things in creation, even all things yet to be created.. We will have had the free choice and will to chose Him over Lucifer and the world and will have knowingly and willfully chosen Him.

We will have a very special place for all eternity because we chose Him freely over ourselves and sin. Its a big picture view, but that is essential what the Bible tells us. There are ages of infinity yet to come, and He wants us to be at the center of them.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 11:57 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-10-2019 09:20 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Really makes you feel small.
04-10-2019 09:23 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
This is freaking awesome. I saw the announcement of the announcement on 4/1 and I've been waiting since then. I told my wife about it last week and she just gave me the blank stare.
04-10-2019 09:29 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I remember back in the day there was disagreement on black holes even existing. I always assumed and thought they did.
04-10-2019 09:40 AM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(04-10-2019 09:23 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Really makes you feel small.

It's tough to grasp the gravity of it!
04-10-2019 09:57 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

(04-10-2019 09:57 AM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  
(04-10-2019 09:23 AM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  Really makes you feel small.

It's tough to grasp the gravity of it!

Well played. 04-cheers
04-10-2019 09:59 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(04-10-2019 09:04 AM)king king Wrote:  

Anyway 04-cheers Eric.

As a person of faith that studied physics in college to the point of almost changing my major, let me tell you how I look at things like this. Science is merely our attempt at understanding what happened when God spoke.

There are some things that we have a firm grasp on, and other that we still don't understand. Not only are we nowhere close to understanding how the universe was created or how it works, we don't even understand how the pyramids were built or how the human brain works. All of our expansive human knowledge is still comparable to what a 4 year old knows next to a MIT graduate.
04-10-2019 10:00 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-10-2019 09:29 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  This is freaking awesome. I saw the announcement of the announcement on 4/1 and I've been waiting since then. I told my wife about it last week and she just gave me the blank stare.

Did she think you were talking about a picture of Cory Booker?
04-10-2019 10:00 AM
bobdizole Online
All American

I Root For: MT
Eric, I have a question for you and you seem to be a sane, qualified person to answer it. You have shown you are very knowledgeable in the Bible and are a literal interpreter of it. How do you feel about the flat earther's out there that use the Bible as core to that belief system? Below is a picture I see floated around in that community often.

[Image: enclosed.jpg]
04-10-2019 10:01 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(04-10-2019 09:14 AM)VA49er Wrote:  Neat!

Very Cool!!! Love stuff like this.

It DOES kinda look like a donut in a deep fryer though....

02-13-banana
04-10-2019 10:17 AM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(04-10-2019 10:01 AM)bobdizole Wrote:  Eric, I have a question for you and you seem to be a sane, qualified person to answer it. You have shown you are very knowledgeable in the Bible and are a literal interpreter of it. How do you feel about the flat earther's out there that use the Bible as core to that belief system? Below is a picture I see floated around in that community often.

[Image: enclosed.jpg]

I find it to be totally insane. There are multiple verses throughout the Bible that speak of or point to a round earth.

There are verses in the NT that further show this and they aren't even specifically trying to. Jesus gave a description of the earth at the moment of His return and its nighttime in some places, and mid day in others.

One of the most undeniable bits of evidence that flat earthers have no answer for is the fact that the moon and constellations all flip upisde down in Australia and are right side up in North America. That is only possible while standing on a gigantic ball.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 10:26 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
04-10-2019 10:23 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(04-10-2019 10:17 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(04-10-2019 09:14 AM)VA49er Wrote:  Neat!

Very Cool!!! Love stuff like this.

It DOES kinda look like a donut in a deep fryer though....

02-13-banana

Looks kinda like most people probably expected I guess. I was curious as to if looked anything like way portrayed in Interstellar I guess the jury is still out on that though.
04-10-2019 10:26 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
Maybe this is what gets Trump impeached.....

Sorry. Just had to do it.
04-10-2019 10:44 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
First image of a black hole released
Very cool and somewhat surprising to actually see it.

It’s been largely theoretical, strongly supported theoretical, but now to see its confirmation?

Wow.

Spend waaaaaay to much time watching science channel, they must be doing backflips and popping the bubbly over this.

Thanks for posting!
04-10-2019 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.