CFN.COM: 5 Things to Know About GA Southern
04-10-2019 02:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
RE: CFN.COM: 5 Things to Know About GA Southern
Most of these sites are setting us at 7-5 for 2019. Maybe it’s just my homerishness but I don’t see a sure 5 losses on the schedule. I think 7-5 is our floor this season.
04-10-2019 05:38 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
Oh look #MeToo is posting more things ab.........Oh wait it wasn't one of us.

On a serious note, I think on the first page they meant to reference Jake Edwards down at the bottom.

I'm not a big fan of click through articles because it's just a cheap tactic to get more page hits, but I can't really argue too much with what was stated.

I expect to see the defense and the offense both pick the heat up a little bit. Last year seemed very conservative on both sides of the ball by necessity. The offense was on its 4th scheme in as many years and the defense was a significant switch from what we'd been running. This was the first offseason since spring 2015 where the offense wasn't learning a new scheme....that alone is something massive that can't be captured by statistics. One of the biggest things Lunsford has had to do is heal the team holistically after everything they'd been through the last few years.

It's quite possible we finish at 7/8/9 wins instead of 10 like last year, but even if we do I think the team this year will be better than 2018 all around.
04-10-2019 06:11 AM
NO_QUARTER Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(04-10-2019 06:11 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Oh look #MeToo is posting more things ab.........Oh wait it wasn't one of us.

On a serious note, I think on the first page they meant to reference Jake Edwards down at the bottom.

I'm not a big fan of click through articles because it's just a cheap tactic to get more page hits, but I can't really argue too much with what was stated.

I expect to see the defense and the offense both pick the heat up a little bit. Last year seemed very conservative on both sides of the ball by necessity. The offense was on its 4th scheme in as many years and the defense was a significant switch from what we'd been running. This was the first offseason since spring 2015 where the offense wasn't learning a new scheme....that alone is something massive that can't be captured by statistics. One of the biggest things Lunsford has had to do is heal the team holistically after everything they'd been through the last few years.

It's quite possible we finish at 7/8/9 wins instead of 10 like last year, but even if we do I think the team this year will be better than 2018 all around.

Yep. I've been saying this to a lot of people. I think we'll be a better team (all around) in 2019, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a worse overall record.
04-11-2019 07:30 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
1. Their opinions on what should be considered a body of water are weird

2. Their fans smell funny

3. Their fans look funny

4. ...

5. Erk Russell never scored on Appalachian State
04-11-2019 07:57 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2019 07:57 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  1. Their opinions on what should be considered a body of water are weird

3. Their fans look funny

4. ...

That smell is called soap and that look is what happens when you run a comb through your hair 04-cheers
04-11-2019 08:10 AM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2019 08:10 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(04-11-2019 07:57 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  1. Their opinions on what should be considered a body of water are weird

3. Their fans look funny

4. ...

That smell is called soap and that look is what happens when you run a comb through your hair 04-cheers

04-cheers02-13-banana
04-11-2019 08:14 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
7 Wins is pretty reasonable
04-11-2019 08:54 AM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

Unless something crazy happens, in no way do I see GS losing 5 games next year.
04-11-2019 04:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(04-11-2019 04:17 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Unless something crazy happens, in no way do I see GS losing 5 games next year.

If we win fewer than 7 or more than 10 I'll be surprised, so 7 wins would be a disappointment but it wouldn't shock me.

2 main considerations for us:

1. Do we have a backup QB? I feel a lot better with RS frosh Justin Tomlin from what I've seen in spring scrimmages, but he has a grand total of one snap in a college game.

2. How good will Ark State, Troy, and App be? Those are obviously the 3 biggies (conference wise) on the road.
04-11-2019 04:36 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(04-11-2019 04:36 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(04-11-2019 04:17 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  Unless something crazy happens, in no way do I see GS losing 5 games next year.

If we win fewer than 7 or more than 10 I'll be surprised, so 7 wins would be a disappointment but it wouldn't shock me.

1. Do we have a backup QB? I feel a lot better with RS frosh Justin Tomlin from what I've seen in spring scrimmages, but he has a grand total of one snap in a college game.

2. How good will Ark State, Troy, and App be? Those are obviously the 3 biggies (conference wise) on the road.

Good lord somebody at the scheduling office hates Ga Southern.
04-11-2019 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2019 04:42 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  

Last year we had all of y’all at home. Just the way it is.
04-11-2019 05:14 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2019 04:42 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  

They really hated us this past year. 3 trips across the Mississippi in 4 weeks with the App game in there as well.

We were just tired by the time we got to that ULM game. Not an excuse, but that kind of travel back to back eventually takes a toll.

I don't think it's as hard to play Troy on the road as other people think. stAte really wasn't intimidating either (and they should have lost to Tyson Summers). App is really the most challenging of our road games this year (not counting OOC), just because of how hostile the environment will be.

Lot of talk about how your team wasn't phased by Penn State last year so we couldn't possibly have an effect, but PSU didn't hate the ground you were standing on either. That's the same treatment I expect this year, it does play a part in our games each year. No one else in conference really threatens us with that kind of environment, it's pretty much exclusive to our rivalry.
04-11-2019 06:16 PM
APPdiesel Offline
All American

(04-11-2019 06:16 PM)eaglewraith Wrote:  No one else in conference really threatens us with that kind of environment, it's pretty much exclusive to our rivalry.

That's why it's so unfortunate the league schedules App/GSU on Thursdays every year. I know it's about showcasing the rivalry on a weeknight when we can actually get on TV, but we don't have to like it.
04-12-2019 03:30 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(04-11-2019 04:36 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  2. How good will Ark State, Troy, and App be? Those are obviously the 3 biggies (conference wise) on the road.

All three have new coaching staffs. That's a huge question mark for the trio.
04-12-2019 04:25 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-10-2019 05:38 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Most of these sites are setting us at 7-5 for 2019. Maybe it’s just my homerishness but I don’t see a sure 5 losses on the schedule. I think 7-5 is our floor this season.

I think 7 is perfectly reasonable for you guys. I think you guys have a slew of toss up games this year, and there are more of those on the road than I would be comfortable with.
04-13-2019 11:43 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-12-2019 04:25 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(04-11-2019 04:36 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  2. How good will Ark State, Troy, and App be? Those are obviously the 3 biggies (conference wise) on the road.

All three have new coaching staffs. That's a huge question mark for the trio.

That's sort of the thing with Southern's schedule. All three teams have question marks, but all three are on the road. We're singing a different tune if those games were in Statesboro this year.

It's also worth noting that the game with stAte this year is in late November. That means two things, 1. We'll likely have more of the early coaching staff kinks ironed out, but 2. All our fans will be either deer hunting, angry with the program, or both.
04-13-2019 11:45 PM
timber Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GSU
Southern will have a perfect record this season, the fan base demands it.
04-14-2019 12:34 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

If we can win 5/6 at home (not a guarantee):

Maine
UL
Coastal
NMSU
ULM
GaSt

Then we have to win at least 2 of these to get to 7 wins:

@LSU
@Minnesota
@USA
@App
@Troy
@Ark St

As far as BYE dates and when week games are etc. it's a favorable schedule, but it will be a significant accomplishment to even go .500 in our road games this year.
04-15-2019 09:15 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(04-15-2019 09:15 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  If we can win 5/6 at home (not a guarantee):

Maine
UL
Coastal
NMSU
ULM
GaSt

Then we have to win at least 2 of these to get to 7 wins:

@LSU
@Minnesota
@USA
@App
@Troy
@Ark St

As far as BYE dates and when week games are etc. it's a favorable schedule, but it will be a significant accomplishment to even go .500 in our road games this year.

At home I believe that Maine, Coastal and NMSU are likely wins. UL and GSU are a little tougher but I think we can win those as well. ULM should be circled for a little revenge so I like our chances with them also but I wouldn't be surprised if we stumble at least once at home. So I'd call UL, ULM and GSU toss ups we should be favored in.

Away I think stAte, APP and Troy are all winnable but in the toss up category with the home team favored. USA should be a win but who knows and then the two P5's will be tough although I think we have the gas to possibly beat Minnesota.

It's early but given who we have back I feel like 7-5 to 10-2 is a reasonable range for us this year.
04-15-2019 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.