Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

grad transfer news
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
grad transfer news
saw this-
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...transfers/

The rule would be a nod more toward academics, requiring schools to commit a scholarship to the length of the pursuit of the graduate degree. In most cases, that's two years.

So player x goes to school y and is there for 1 year. School y unless player x gets his masters in 1 year has a dead scholarship the following year.....
04-05-2019 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: grad transfer news
I'd like to see a corollary to this rule. I'm all for rewarding students who do what they're supposed to do academically. Why not grant athletes who have completed their undergraduate degree in three years be granted a fifth year of eligibility? Then they could finish a master's degree while continuing to play. They would get that fifth year whether they stay at their original school or transfer somewhere else, or whether they had previously received a redshirt.
04-05-2019 03:34 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(04-05-2019 03:15 PM)stever20 Wrote:  saw this-

The rule would be a nod more toward academics, requiring schools to commit a scholarship to the length of the pursuit of the graduate degree. In most cases, that's two years.

So player x goes to school y and is there for 1 year. School y unless player x gets his masters in 1 year has a dead scholarship the following year.....

Great idea - an attempt to put the student back in student athlete
04-05-2019 03:46 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
This is just one more reason to be cynical about the NCAA.

The idea for this rule was popularized by John Calipari.

Who has more one-and-done players than anyone else? Calipari.

So here we have a rule that will penalize any team with one-and-done graduate students, but won't penalize Calipari or Coach K or any other coach who makes his millions on the backs of one-and-done undergraduates.
04-05-2019 04:38 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-05-2019 04:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  This is just one more reason to be cynical about the NCAA.

So here we have a rule that will penalize any team with one-and-done graduate students, but won't penalize Calipari or Coach K or any other coach who makes his millions on the backs of one-and-done undergraduates.

Calipari had a grad transfer this year.
04-05-2019 04:41 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(04-05-2019 04:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  This is just one more reason to be cynical about the NCAA.

except that the one and dones are going away too....

basically will stop this crap free agency that is starting to ruin college basketball....
04-05-2019 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-05-2019 04:41 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Calipari had a grad transfer this year.

One grad transfer.

And an average of 2-3 one and dones each year he's been at Kentucky.
04-05-2019 04:54 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I get the intent but they’re basically penalizing players who graduate in four years
04-05-2019 05:54 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(04-05-2019 05:54 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  I get the intent but they’re basically penalizing players who graduate in four years

No, they're making it where the transfer is actually for academic purposes and not just for free agency in sports, which is exactly what it's become. A school can take you, but it actually has to be for academics and not just for sports. I know, a novel concept.
04-05-2019 05:57 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(04-05-2019 05:57 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(04-05-2019 05:54 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  I get the intent but they’re basically penalizing players who graduate in four years

No, they're making it where the transfer is actually for academic purposes and not just for free agency in sports, which is exactly what it's become. A school can take you, but it actually has to be for academics and not just for sports. I know, a novel concept.

They may have the best of intentions, but it’s an bad rule and the net effect is going to be less opportunity for players. If you graduate you should be able to do whatever you want, just like coaches can.
04-05-2019 06:26 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-05-2019 05:57 PM)stever20 Wrote:  not just for free agency in sports, which is exactly what it's become.

What you want is free agency for everyone except the athletes. Buzz Williams doesn't have to sit out a year before beginning to coach at Texas A&M, and no team is losing scholarships for it.
04-05-2019 06:39 PM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

(04-05-2019 06:39 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(04-05-2019 05:57 PM)stever20 Wrote:  not just for free agency in sports, which is exactly what it's become.

What you want is free agency for everyone except the athletes. Buzz Williams doesn't have to sit out a year before beginning to coach at Texas A&M, and no team is losing scholarships for it.

Exactly.

To be honest I’m very hesitant about having “open season” for all transfers. But giving everyone the opportunity to grad transfer isn’t hurting anyone except mid major coaches who would themselves jump at an opportunity to get a power job
04-05-2019 08:08 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

maybe call me old school, but transfers should be about academics.... This is what this is going to do. For those that are serious about getting their graduate degree, it's not going to impact them at all....
04-05-2019 08:12 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(04-05-2019 06:26 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

They may have the best of intentions, but it’s an bad rule and the net effect is going to be less opportunity for players. If you graduate you should be able to do whatever you want, just like coaches can.

If its about the students, then you give them a 2 year scholarship, but you don't count the 2nd year against the program.
04-05-2019 09:03 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

(04-05-2019 09:03 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-05-2019 06:26 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  

If its about the students, then you give them a 2 year scholarship, but you don't count the 2nd year against the program.

That is fine with me. Might be a good compromise.
04-05-2019 09:05 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
(04-05-2019 09:03 PM)bullet Wrote:  If its about the students, then you give them a 2 year scholarship, but you don't count the 2nd year against the program.

^^This^^

Quote:"The percent that are actually gaining their degrees are rather small," said Justin Sell, the athletic director at South Dakota State. "There is the difficulty of trying to put something in place that doesn't negatively impact students that are using it for the right reason.

Based on this quote it seems like most transfers are not interested in a graduate degree anyway. If they are interested, as Bullet said, give them a 2nd year but don't punish the school for helping a student.
04-06-2019 09:54 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-05-2019 03:15 PM)stever20 Wrote:  saw this-

Sounds like a blatant attempt to limit a kids ability to transfer. If they are going to do that, then all undergrads who have not graduated by the end of their eligibility should continue to tie up a scholarship for one extra year. If this was about academic—-where is that proposal?
04-06-2019 10:09 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(04-06-2019 09:54 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  
(04-05-2019 09:03 PM)bullet Wrote:  If its about the students, then you give them a 2 year scholarship, but you don't count the 2nd year against the program.

^^This^^

Quote:"The percent that are actually gaining their degrees are rather small," said Justin Sell, the athletic director at South Dakota State. "There is the difficulty of trying to put something in place that doesn't negatively impact students that are using it for the right reason.

Based on this quote it seems like most transfers are not interested in a graduate degree anyway. If they are interested, as Bullet said, give them a 2nd year but don't punish the school for helping a student.

In many ways, that would be similar to redshirting. 5 years to get 4 years of eligibility. 2 years to apply 1 year of eligibility. Its just that the "redshirt" would be after eligibility ended.
04-06-2019 11:27 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

And there are a lot of 30 hour master programs, which could be completed in a calendar year.
04-06-2019 11:28 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Calipari wants to punish young men who graduate when the majority of his players don’t finish their freshman year. Anyone that thinks Calipari cares anything about the game is a Kentucky fan or naive.
04-06-2019 11:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.