Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Rice Media Center
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
OT - Rice Media Center
Quote:Rice to tear down Rice Media Center, replace with remodeled Sewall Hall
Administrative officials are planning to tear down the Rice Media Center and remodel Sewall Hall to accomodate the lost facilities, according to an email sent by Visual and Dramatic Arts Department Chair John Sparagana.

“We are stressing to the administration that holding off on tearing down the Media Center until the Sewall Hall restoration is complete is important to the stability and continuity of our curriculum and programming,” Sparagana said.

Sparagana also said that he “maintains an aspiration for a student creative arts building” at the site of the Media Center. The timeline for removing the Rice Media Center and the future plans for the location are not currently clear.

The Rice Media Center, located across from Rice University Police Department’s office, currently hosts both the Rice Cinema and the campus’ only darkroom — a specialty space used to develop film photos. The Rice Cinema has been active for over half a century, hosting films by notable artists such as Andy Warhol. In addition to hosting photography classes, the Media Center also hosts exhibitions by students, professors and other artists in its main gallery space.

The Media Center removal will follow the recent replacement of the Rice Gallery in Sewall Hall with a visitor welcome center.

http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019...Z2c3n_1KiY
04-03-2019 07:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: OT - Rice Media Center
If I had to guess, eventually that spot becomes more parking.
04-03-2019 08:11 PM
franklyconfused Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
I've never been impressed with how the university handles VADA and art history. They always seem underfunded and unappreciated. Student art loses support outside of Shepherd and Architecture.
04-03-2019 08:52 PM
Advertisement

cr11owl Offline
All American

(04-03-2019 08:52 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  I've never been impressed with how the university handles VADA and art history. They always seem underfunded and unappreciated. Student art loses support outside of Shepherd and Architecture.

We did just open a $30 million, 50,000 sq foot building for the arts next door.

The media center is the 2nd ugliest building on campus behind Lovett college. Won’t really miss it.

Still waiting to see what the new Sid will look like. I believe Lovett is the next one to be updated after that.

From oldest to most recent update:

Lovett- Sid - Wiess/Jones/Brown- Martel - Duncan/McMurtry- WRC/Baker

Not sure where Hanszen falls in there. Was it updated with Wiess?
04-04-2019 08:22 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019...at-hanszen

Hanszen has lots of issues. I think it’s next.
04-04-2019 08:24 AM
franklyconfused Offline
Special Teams

(04-04-2019 08:22 AM)cr11owl Wrote:  
(04-03-2019 08:52 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  I've never been impressed with how the university handles VADA and art history. They always seem underfunded and unappreciated. Student art loses support outside of Shepherd and Architecture.

We did just open a $30 million, 50,000 sq foot building for the arts next door.

The media center is the 2nd ugliest building on campus behind Lovett college. Won’t really miss it.

Still waiting to see what the new Sid will look like. I believe Lovett is the next one to be updated after that.

From oldest to most recent update:

Lovett- Sid - Wiess/Jones/Brown- Martel - Duncan/McMurtry- WRC/Baker

Not sure where Hanszen falls in there. Was it updated with Wiess?

I met the executive director of the Moody Center in Palo Alto just a few weeks ago. Her presentation was entirely on outside artists and collaboration with non-art departments. There was no discussion of VADA or its students' work. I came away with the impression that Moody was set up to be as distinct from the visual arts undergrad program as possible. The fact that the Moody Center was not designed to be the new location of the VADA faculty is a pretty pointed gesture at that separation.
04-04-2019 10:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.