RE: Dane Fischer to be the next MBB Coach
curious
04-02-2019 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tribester Offline
Banned

I Root For: W&M
How is this possible? I was told Tony was fired because he was a white guy.
04-02-2019 11:11 AM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(04-02-2019 11:11 AM)Tribester Wrote:  How is this possible? I was told Tony was fired because he was a white guy.
Williford who is an African American didn't want the job so I guess Huge thought she satisfied the Rooney requirement.
04-02-2019 11:30 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
Are there basketball knowers around here familiar with Fischer? There isn't much to go off of online.
04-02-2019 11:33 AM
ColonelEbirt Online
Special Teams

Dane Fischer to be the next MBB Coach
I’m assuming he nailed his interviews, networking reference checks, and displayed a passion to win in the manner consistent with what Huge wants. Sure, initial reaction may be that this is a desperation hire, but I don’t think so. Because we’ve waited a few weeks already. What’s a few more? Let’s cross our fingers that he’s a good man, good coach, good recruiter, and good leader!

(I’m checking closely to see if any current players like or retweet this tweet or other tweets announcing his hire ... )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
04-02-2019 11:39 AM
Advertisement

UmbrellaRiver Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tribe
(04-02-2019 10:56 AM)tribalwarfare Wrote:  https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/...6437520387

John Thompson III? No.
Thad Matta? No.
Assistant from Duke or Virginia? No.
Nathan Davis? No.

Assistant coach at George Mason? Yes.

Clearly Samantha Huge had a plan when she fired Tony. We all just assumed it was a good plan. However today it's obvious that nobody on the East Coast wanted anything to do with our program with her at the helm. This is what AD Malpractice looks like. And let's not forget that we paid Tony Shaver $1.7 million dollars in buyout money so that we could make a new hire and get a superstar coach of the future!

In three seasons at GMU, the assistant coach helped a team go 20-14 in 2015-2016. He followed that season with a losing record going 16-17. This past year they were 18-15. They've been slightly above .500 overall and in their conference, which has been a 1-2 bid league.

High standards = JOKE. This guy hasn't led George Mason anywhere. His previous schools are non-competitive apples to oranges comparisons. Why not keep Johnathan Holmes? Or better yet, why not keep Shaver and decide on the program's future next season after your core group of starters graduates?

None of my W&M sources have confirmed this story. I'll assume that the news is breaking out of the George Mason market.
04-02-2019 11:43 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

He was Paulson's lead recruiter at Bucknell and Mason. Hope he is good enough to re-recruit everyone in the Portal.
One thing, he should be familiar with everyone, after helping with the scouting report last season.
04-02-2019 11:44 AM
GameOfTribes Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tribe
Looking at the bio on the Mason website, it says he is a good recruiter and has a good offensive system. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't our current coach, and his assistants, good recruiters, as well as orchestraters of a great offensive system? This guy has been joined to the hip of Dave Paulsen. We are now 100% a poor mans George Mason which I do not think is an improvement of where we were.

Interested to see who his staff is though, as he is currently an assistant. Does he have "guys" out there or will he keep some of our current staff on.
04-02-2019 11:45 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(04-02-2019 11:44 AM)billymac Wrote:  He was Paulson's lead recruiter at Bucknell and Mason. Hope he is good enough to re-recruit everyone in the Portal.
One thing, he should be familiar with everyone, after helping with the scouting report last season.

Also seems likely he was involved with LJ out of high school
04-02-2019 11:48 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(04-02-2019 11:39 AM)ColonelEbirt Wrote:  I’m assuming he nailed his interviews, networking reference checks, and displayed a passion to win in the manner consistent with what Huge wants. Sure, initial reaction may be that this is a desperation hire, but I don’t think so. Because we’ve waited a few weeks already. What’s a few more? Let’s cross our fingers that he’s a good man, good coach, good recruiter, and good leader!

(I’m checking closely to see if any current players like or retweet this tweet or other tweets announcing his hire ... )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes: Jihar Williams, someone named Ryan Milon that is from FL and I'm guessing related
04-02-2019 11:50 AM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

This guy seems to like the (potential) hire...

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/stat...9149280256
Biggjohn43 Online
Special Teams

(04-02-2019 11:45 AM)GameOfTribes Wrote:  Looking at the bio on the Mason website, it says he is a good recruiter and has a good offensive system. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't our current coach, and his assistants, good recruiters, as well as orchestraters of a great offensive system? This guy has been joined to the hip of Dave Paulsen. We are now 100% a poor mans George Mason which I do not think is an improvement of where we were.

Interested to see who his staff is though, as he is currently an assistant. Does he have "guys" out there or will he keep some of our current staff on.

I hope he keeps Jonathan and Luke Ford. They are the most liked by the players and Holmes is.a good recruiter!!
Tribal Offline

I wouldn't bank on this

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
04-02-2019 12:03 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

1. This guy has absolutely nothing over Tony Shaver --- except that, presumably, he is willing to kowtow to Huge.

2. George Mason was eliminated from postseason consideration very shortly after W&M. So what took so long to name this guy? Was he taking his time looking for better jobs that didn't pan out? Or was he a very late fallback position for Huge when all her original targets declined?
04-02-2019 12:04 PM
Tribal Offline

(04-02-2019 11:11 AM)Tribester Wrote:  How is this possible? I was told Tony was fired because he was a white guy.
The 3 guys she wanted said no. It's been weeks with no coach. Mason wasn't in the NCAAT so no excuse like the one floated about the UVA guy. Huge fired Tony with no one ready to fill the void so she's down to a Mason asst.

All that said, I don't think this guy is a done deal.

04-02-2019 12:06 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

I hope it's a good hire, but there's no way to spin Fischer as a move forward on day one. Hiring an unrecognizable A-10 assistant coach is not at all the optic I was expecting.
04-02-2019 12:07 PM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(04-02-2019 12:06 PM)Tribal Wrote:  All that said, I don't think this guy is a done deal.

Is Rothstein "fake news"?

He is connected, but so far he is the lone source everyone is running with.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 12:19 PM by mrjoolius.)
04-02-2019 12:13 PM
Tribal Offline

This Dane situation is a fallback...I'll leave it at that.

http://flathatnews.com/2019/04/02/shaver...e-fischer/

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 12:15 PM by Tribal.)
04-02-2019 12:15 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

At this point it seems we should focus our energy on supporting whoever the new Coach will be when announced and trying to be positive.

In the 1960's we hired football coaches that were unknown at the time-Marv Levy and then Lou Holtz (no I am not comparing this hire to them) so give the team and Coaches an opportunity without having to live in the shadow of Shaver (who did deserve a chance for one more year).
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 12:17 PM by wmmii.)
04-02-2019 12:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.