Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northwestern @ JMU Wednesday 7pm, WNIT semifinal
Bookmark and Share
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
TCU will play at Arizona in the other Semifinal.

Both "1 seeds" in the other brackets have been defeated, so we may have a shot at hosting the championship on April 6.

Huge game, Go Dukes!
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2019 07:17 PM by JMURocks.)
03-31-2019 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
RE: Northwestern @ JMU Wednesday 7pm, WNIT semifinal
Need to look at attendance on the other side of the bracket. Well I guess we need to beat Northwestern first. See you Wednesday.
03-31-2019 03:52 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Just for reference purposes only, Indiana's "attendance" hosting the WNIT championship last year was 13,000 (against the Hokies).

2 years ago is not a good reference point as Michigan hosted Ga Tech in the WNIT title game with the game played at Detroit Mercy Univ. (read: small crowd not on a participating team campus)
03-31-2019 04:34 PM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(03-31-2019 04:34 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Just for reference purposes only, Indiana's "attendance" hosting the WNIT championship last year was 13,000 (against the Hokies).

2 years ago is not a good reference point as Michigan hosted Ga Tech in the WNIT title game with the game played at Detroit Mercy Univ. (read: small crowd not on a participating team campus)

Not sure about the game in progress but Arizona had 6k+ last game and Wyoming had over 5k. TCU is our best chance to host IMO ( if we prevail on Wednesday.) But they had 2800 or so and we only had 2k. All of these places are forever to travel to.
03-31-2019 04:50 PM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee, JMU,
All these places, with the exception of Wyoming, are in P5 conferences. Think about THAT while you're talking about attendance! And there isn't all that much to do in Laramie......
03-31-2019 05:28 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
No common opponents but NW just beat Ohio (1st in the MAC and ended the season at 30-6). Ohio beat NC Willmington by 25 their first game of the season. Going to be a tough challenge.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
03-31-2019 06:24 PM
Advertisement

ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Usual crew will be there Wednesday ROOTIN!!

Brian
03-31-2019 07:13 PM
dukes13 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes of JMU
(03-31-2019 06:24 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  No common opponents but NW just beat Ohio (1st in the MAC and ended the season at 30-6). Ohio beat NC Willmington by 25 their first game of the season. Going to be a tough challenge.

We actually have two common opponents - Maryland & Dayton

MD 87, JMU 63
MD 72, NW 57

JMU 68, Dayton 55
NW 71, Dayton 54 (WNIT First Round)

Looking at their roster, they’re very young, mainly only one senior playing a big role on the team...they’ve played a tough Big Ten schedule so will be a battle tested team.

Hope they bring a good crowd and hope we show up as well! Go Dukes!
03-31-2019 08:46 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Good catch. Thanks

03-31-2019 08:52 PM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

Northwestern finished in a big tangle in the middle of the Big 10, which is actually now the Big 14 and usually abbreviated B1G, with a 9-9 conference record and a 6-14 overall. I watched them a couple of times on TV and they didn’t look like a bad team, just a little ragged in spots. It’s up to us to exploit those ragged spots. Hopefully the girls get a little rest between now and then.
03-31-2019 11:28 PM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(03-31-2019 05:28 PM)orange-to-purple Wrote:  All these places, with the exception of Wyoming, are in P5 conferences. Think about THAT while you're talking about attendance! And there isn't all that much to do in Laramie......

Actually I was just looking at attendance in the context of hosting the finals, if we win on Wednesday. When I think about Laramie it reminds me of Fargo.
04-01-2019 07:57 AM
Advertisement

jmudukes Offline
2nd String

I Root For: jmu
(03-31-2019 07:13 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Usual crew will be there Wednesday ROOTIN!!

Brian

I would think there will be a huge crowd there on Wednesday night.
04-01-2019 07:59 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Last 2 home game attendance in the NIT for TCU
1500 vs UT Arlington (odd, since they are local to each other)
2400 vs Cincinnati

Maybe we could host the Final if we could get by Northwestern and TCU knocks off Arizona
04-01-2019 08:46 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Random factoid...

...with a win Wednesday over Northwestern, the Dukes will notch their 30th victory. All against D1 competition because the WBB Dukes don't play D3 teams.

Over Lou Rowe's first 3 seasons, his teams have won a combined 30 games against D1 competition.

Yikes!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. :>)
04-01-2019 08:53 AM
JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
(04-01-2019 08:53 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Random factoid...

...with a win Wednesday over Northwestern, the Dukes will notch their 30th victory. All against D1 competition because the WBB Dukes don't play D3 teams.

Over Lou Rowe's first 3 seasons, his teams have won a combined 30 games against D1 competition.

Yikes!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. :>)

05-stirthepot
04-01-2019 09:25 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2019 07:59 AM)jmudukes Wrote:  
(03-31-2019 07:13 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Usual crew will be there Wednesday ROOTIN!!

Brian

I would think there will be a huge crowd there on Wednesday night.

This is our best chance to host the final. Bring a friend or two and help fill the convo!
04-01-2019 09:29 AM
Advertisement

JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
I don't know enough about the economics of WNIT basketball to figure this out on my own so I'll ask some of the more knowledgeable folks on here. Are we making or losing money hosting all of these WNIT games? Is there a specific attendance number that would "break-even"? Have we been hitting that number?
04-01-2019 10:27 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2019 10:27 AM)JMU_Newbill Wrote:  I don't know enough about the economics of WNIT basketball to figure this out on my own so I'll ask some of the more knowledgeable folks on here. Are we making or losing money hosting all of these WNIT games? Is there a specific attendance number that would "break-even"? Have we been hitting that number?

Being that we don't know what the bid was, hard to make anywhere near an educated guess.
04-01-2019 10:33 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-01-2019 10:33 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(04-01-2019 10:27 AM)JMU_Newbill Wrote:  I don't know enough about the economics of WNIT basketball to figure this out on my own so I'll ask some of the more knowledgeable folks on here. Are we making or losing money hosting all of these WNIT games? Is there a specific attendance number that would "break-even"? Have we been hitting that number?

Being that we don't know what the bid was, hard to make anywhere near an educated guess.

For that matter the entire bidding process seems a bit obfuscated by WNIT. There is some aspect of “tiers” of seeding, and then some element of bidding. The entire process is not transparent that I can tell. But higher attendance and bids seem to matter. Also higher “seeded” teams in the bracket seem to have an advantage in hosting. We are the only “1 seed” remaining in the field, which should help. High turnout Wednesday may also help land the Final at JMU.
04-01-2019 10:39 AM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

OK, here's the deal.....IF, and it's a big IF, TCU beats Arizona, we have a chance at hosting the final, provided we beat Northwestern. We have a higher average attendance than TCU. At least that's how I understand it. However, if we win and Arizona wins, we'd have to go out there, because their average attendance about doubles ours and they had 7K+ at their last game. That is my understanding of how this works. Hopefully when we get the new center we'll have better attendance.

But I think it's important to focus on the fact that JMU is the ONLY non-P5 school left in this thing. That is a BFD, folks. That puts us on the map, and y'all can stop whining about the NCAA. Being in the semis and perhaps the finals of the WNIT means something as a recruiting tool, whether you think so or not. The young ladies Sean will be recruiting know something about that and will react positively.
04-01-2019 10:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.