Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News May strikes out
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
May strikes out
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/29/brexit-t...-time.html

"British Prime Minister Theresa May has lost another crucial Brexit vote in the U.K. Parliament as lawmakers again refused to back her deal to leave the European Union.

May's draft proposal to leave the bloc, which has been signed off by EU officials in Brussels, had already been rejected twice by U.K. Members of Parliament. This time her deal was beaten by 344 votes to 286, a margin of 58 votes.

Friday's vote was considered slightly different as it only covered the "withdrawal deal" — a near 600-page treaty that agreed citizen's rights after Brexit, a £39 billion ($51 billion) divorce deal and how to treat the Irish land border...."

It doesn't appear the UK will pass anything in the next 8 hours, so they are due for a hard Brexit April 12.
03-29-2019 10:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: May strikes out
I dont think the UK pols will let that happen. They will go to the EU begging for an extension. Then they will hold new elections which will result in Brexit being overturned.

Just an absolutely horrible job by the UK in exiting the EU. They let the EU know right away they were pertrafied of a no deal Brexit. EU played that fear like a fiddle and as a result they have a crappy deal which traps them in the EU and divides Ireland with a hard border. EU is pushing the chaos so that people will give up. Masterful job by the EU. Shows you why Washington warned us against entangling alliances
03-29-2019 10:29 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-29-2019 10:29 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I dont think the UK pols will let that happen. They will go to the EU begging for an extension. Then they will hold new elections which will result in Brexit being overturned.

Just an absolutely horrible job by the UK in exiting the EU. They let the EU know right away they were pertrafied of a no deal Brexit. EU played that fear like a fiddle and as a result they have a crappy deal which traps them in the EU and divides Ireland with a hard border. EU is pushing the chaos so that people will give up. Masterful job by the EU. Shows you why Washington warned us against entangling alliances

Actually its simple. The British politicians are trying to thwart the will of the people just as the deep state is trying to do here. Its a mess because the politicians were trying to sabotage it.
03-29-2019 10:57 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(03-29-2019 10:57 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-29-2019 10:29 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I dont think the UK pols will let that happen. They will go to the EU begging for an extension. Then they will hold new elections which will result in Brexit being overturned.

Actually its simple. The British politicians are trying to thwart the will of the people just as the deep state is trying to do here. Its a mess because the politicians were trying to sabotage it.

Yep
03-29-2019 11:02 AM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
F yeah. Hard brexit that b itch. Can't wait to visit again when the pound is below 1.20. good times.
03-29-2019 11:24 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest

I agree. If Brexit is overturned?...Look out for violent protests.
03-29-2019 12:03 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-29-2019 12:03 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Definitely. I wonder if the queen would step in if they tried to do that.
03-29-2019 12:14 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47751805

Leave supporters angry and marching in London.
03-29-2019 12:29 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Europe blinks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/m...ver-brexit

Now its not a hard Brexit on April 12th. Its another extension to April 12 to come up with another plan.
03-29-2019 12:32 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-29-2019 12:32 PM)bullet Wrote:  Europe blinks.

Now its not a hard Brexit on April 12th. Its another extension to April 12 to come up with another plan.

This was always going to happen. There are thousands of major corporations who either count on shipping goods to the UK or count on products/goods from the UK for their operations. Those European business interests are going to go nuts if there isn’t a reasonable functioning trade agreement before the deadline. I will guarantee they are currently applying intense pressure on their goverments. Just watch and see—The EU will become more and more reasonable as the deadline nears. Otherwise—-they are just handing that market to the US, Japan, China, etc.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019 02:01 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-29-2019 01:56 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-29-2019 01:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

This was always going to happen. There are thousands of major corporations who either count on shipping goods to the UK or count on products/goods from the UK for their operations. Those European business interests are going to go nuts if there isn’t a reasonable functioning trade agreement before the deadline. I will guarantee they are currently applying intense pressure on their goverments. Just watch and see—The EU will become more and more reasonable as the deadline nears. Otherwise—-they are just handing that market to the US, Japan, China, etc.

And anybody on the British side who isn't a moron or trying to undermine Brexit understands that. May is acting like she has no leverage.

How is Europe going to get the billions in "exit fees" if Britain refuses to pay?
03-29-2019 02:44 PM
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA

Actually I think as more and more time goes by the EU will dig in their heels.
The politicians will accept short term economy loss to prove a point.
They dont care about people... they care about power.
03-29-2019 05:25 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
I hope the EU denies the extension and forces a hard brexit. Just leave! You can negotiate after.
03-29-2019 05:33 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-29-2019 05:25 PM)q5sys Wrote:  

Actually I think as more and more time goes by the EU will dig in their heels.
The politicians will accept short term economy loss to prove a point.
They dont care about people... they care about power.

The only point they will be proving is that the US and Chinese can provide the UK with everything they need just as effectively as the EU. Is that a lesson the EU really wants the UK to learn?
03-29-2019 06:39 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(03-29-2019 12:14 PM)bullet Wrote:  

The tabloids say she is dying. We could have Brexit and a new king in a matter of days.
03-29-2019 07:54 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(03-29-2019 12:14 PM)bullet Wrote:  

I think the Queen is going to have to step in one way or the other and make a decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
03-29-2019 08:14 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-29-2019 10:29 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I dont think the UK pols will let [hard Brexit] happen. They will go to the EU begging for an extension. Then they will hold new elections which will result in Brexit being overturned.
Hmm.

If Parliament didn’t want “no-deal Brexit”, they should’ve voted for the Withdrawal Agreement. But the Commons have voted the WA down three separate times. Oh, well.

At this point, I see two possible scenarios to avoid hard Brexit: one is for a majority of MP’s to vote (on the 4th try!) in favor of the WA. The other is for the UK to revoke Article 50 and cancel the whole damn thing. Combined likelihood of either scenario: 20% IMHO. Likelihood of no-deal Brexit: 80%.

Quote:Just an absolutely horrible job by the UK in exiting the EU. They let the EU know right away they were petrified of a no deal Brexit. EU played that fear like a fiddle and as a result they have a crappy deal which traps them in the EU and divides Ireland with a hard border. EU is pushing the chaos so that people will give up. Masterful job by the EU. Shows you why Washington warned us against entangling alliances
All true. The EU strategy was to squeeze the Brits so hard they’d revoke Brexit or wish they had. But they may have squeezed too hard: a no-deal Brexit is not in their interests, either.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2019 09:53 PM by Native Georgian.)
03-29-2019 09:52 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
A no deal Brexit is not in either sides best interest. I agree with the sentiment that the EU thought it could either get UK to cancel to whole thing or keep them trapped as pseudo members with no voting rights.

Despite the madness of the UK parliament, they have strengthened their hand by setting themselves up for a no deal Brexit. If they had that attitude of being ok with a no deal Brexit from the beginning, they would have gotten a better deal from the EU
03-30-2019 05:16 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
So now the talk is that Theresa May is going to ask the EU for another time-extension beyond 12th April, even though Parliament has not agreed to the WA.

Would be surprised if EU grants such a request. But we shall see.
04-04-2019 06:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.