Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Democrat Gerrymandering case in Maryland goes to Supreme Court.
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
Democrat Gerrymandering case in Maryland goes to Supreme Court.
Western Maryland has long been a republican stronghold. Until the Dems redrew the discrict to include DC suburbs, turning the district blue.

[Image: 636578497826994407-md-district-6-gerryma...p;fit=crop]

A case was put forward, and this was the result:

Federal judges say Maryland's 6th congressional district is unconstitutional; map must be redrawn for 2020
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla...story.html

Quote:The opinion said Maryland “specifically intended to diminish the value of those targeted citizens’ votes by removing a substantial number of them from the 6th District and replacing them with Democratic voters for the purpose of denying, as a practical matter, the targeted voters the opportunity to elect the candidate of their choice.”

In a separate opinion, U.S. District Judge James Bredar wrote that gerrymandering is “noxious, a cancer on our democracy.”

Quote:Before the 2010 census, the district was configured to include all of five Maryland counties: Allegany, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett and Washington. The redrawn lines helped Democratic newcomer John Delaney defeat Republican longtime Rep. Roscoe Bartlett in 2012.

The district now stretches from the liberal Washington suburbs of Montgomery County to conservative western Maryland. Under the plan, the court said the district retained “only one-half of its original population (specifically, the residents of Garrett, Allegany, and Washington counties, as well as roughly half the population of Frederick County).” The other half — some 360,000 residents — was moved out.

In a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans 2-to-1, Maryland’s mapmakers turned an eight-member House delegation that was split 4-4 in 2000 into one that has seven Democrats and one Republican.

Now the Supreme Court is weighing in:

U.S. Supreme Court tackles Maryland gerrymandering case that's split Democrats and Republicans
https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla...story.html
03-28-2019 06:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
RE: Democrat Gerrymandering case in Maryland goes to Supreme Court.
[Image: Gerrymander-meander-flyer.jpg]
03-28-2019 06:32 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
But only republicans do this?!? 03-confused NC districts have been redrawn twice and democrats still don't like them cause GOP controls majority. In NC they won't be happy until dems win more than 50% of districts.
03-28-2019 07:06 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
The worst was the Democrats in 1990 in Texas. They had to nearly triple the number of voting precincts in Harris County (Houston) from 600 to 1700 to deal with all the meanders. Dems kept losing in court and kept redrawing. I got moved about 3 times for the US House district.

I have mixed feelings about the Supreme Court getting involved. We've seen Pennsylvania where the court re-drew the districts to advantage the Democrats. I don't want un-elected appointed for life people drawing our districts. Our judges have unfortunately gotten very partisan in the Obama era. If the Supreme court gets involved, the courts will get involved in every re-districting at every level.

On the other hand, computerized data has gotten so detailed that they can gerrymander far more effectively than they could in the past.
03-28-2019 07:34 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

It's not that hard, grid the state and go with it, and no splitting counties.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2019 09:19 PM by banker.)
03-28-2019 09:18 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-28-2019 09:18 PM)banker Wrote:  It's not that hard, grid the state and go with it, and no splitting counties.

That was part of the Texas standard and you still had small rural counties getting split.
03-29-2019 08:35 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2019 09:18 PM)banker Wrote:  It's not that hard, grid the state and go with it, and no splitting counties.

Democrats want to split urban areas so that pieces are attached to conservative suburban districts make them at best leans blue but in most case solid blue. They are trying that same crap in NC. GOP had very reasonable districts drawn here contiguous blue counties grouped in the same district creating more Red that Blue districts. These districts were far more logical than some democrats drew a couple of decades ago including one that was 180 miles long and 1 mile wide.
03-29-2019 10:38 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-29-2019 10:38 AM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  

Democrats want to split urban areas so that pieces are attached to conservative suburban districts make them at best leans blue but in most case solid blue. They are trying that same crap in NC. GOP had very reasonable districts drawn here contiguous blue counties grouped in the same district creating more Red that Blue districts. These districts were far more logical than some democrats drew a couple of decades ago including one that was 180 miles long and 1 mile wide.

They are complaining about Republicans now when they had that snake like district they designed that wrapped around half of the state to create a Black district.
03-29-2019 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.