Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Steve Buckhantz might be gone?
Bookmark and Share
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Sad OT: Steve Buckhantz might be gone?
This is almost a month old at this point, but I just saw it and I didn't see it posted here.

JMU grad and Wizards' play by play man Steve Buckhantz might be looking to call games for a new team next year, which is one of the dumbest decisions the Wiz could make. And that is certainly saying something. Hope the team reverses course and keeps Buck around because he is the only reason to watch the games at this point.
03-28-2019 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: OT: Steve Buckhantz might be gone?
I go way back with Steve when he started his career in Atlanta. I'd love to have him back with JMU in some capacity. Can he coach MBB, for example?

:>)
03-28-2019 01:28 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

He's certainly seen enough bad basketball, I would like him to switch to something better :)
03-28-2019 01:42 PM
Jeremyboz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU,WVU
He and Kara/Drew Gooden have good chemistry on air, other than bringing Phil Chenier out of retirement I don't understand not renewing his contract while GM Ernie Grunfeld is still somehow employed. However, Ted Leonsis has won a Stanley Cup,Arena Football title and gone to a WNBA Finals recently. It isn't his fault that Wall and Dwight Howard got injured.
03-28-2019 05:38 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
New voice of the Dukes- think big!
03-28-2019 07:09 PM
Dukesfan1971 Offline
Bench Warmer

Really good feature on WHSV television with Steve. It’s about a 10 minute interview.
Not looking good for his return. But what a humble guy and fan of JMU and the Valley.
05-23-2019 06:54 AM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Hard for me to believe Steve turns 64 next month (June 19th). My, how time flies.

Good luck to Steve in whatever his next endeavors may be, including nothing as he deserves it if that's what he wants. A true class act and credit to JMU.
05-23-2019 07:05 AM
Bawlmer Duke Offline
1st String

DAGGGGGGGGGGER
06-06-2019 09:17 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

If he wants another job, I have no doubt that he'll get one.
It would be incredible if he could work for JMU, but we probably can't afford him.
06-07-2019 09:28 AM
Dukester Offline

(06-07-2019 09:28 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  If he wants another job, I have no doubt that he'll get one.
It would be incredible if he could work for JMU, but we probably can't afford him.

Age starts to come into play. This is the job he wants. At best the next season will be his last. I believe this is the final year of his contract, which the company has an opt out option.

There are older announcers in basketball, but how many clubs would be interested in someone 65? Clubs are hopeful the announcer can have a long run.

It's rediculous the Wizards are not keeping one of the few things that are good with them, but they got rid of Phil a couple years ago too which fans and myself were not happy about.

We still don't know why Shick was not retained? Performance, or $?
06-07-2019 09:53 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Pay for Buckhantz become the voice of Jmu. Will
Immediately add to the product on flo sports, with the new arena etc and elevate us.
06-07-2019 10:08 AM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

[quote='Dukester' pid='16137148' dateline='1559919232'

We still don't know why Shick was not retained? Performance, or $?
[/quote]

Or for that matter, why was Pete Johnson reassigned?
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2019 11:06 AM by olddawg.)
06-07-2019 11:03 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2019 10:08 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Pay for Buckhantz become the voice of Jmu. Will
Immediately add to the product on flo sports, with the new arena etc and elevate us.

While I conceptually like the idea of this, it adds to the "overheads" of the department.

We already seem to struggle to pay coaches in line with what our peers do who have similar sized budgets. In some ways, I'd prefer the department to operate a little leaner, and reserve those funds for hiring/retaining top coaches.
06-07-2019 11:20 AM
Dukester Offline

(06-07-2019 11:20 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(06-07-2019 10:08 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Pay for Buckhantz become the voice of Jmu. Will

While I conceptually like the idea of this, it adds to the "overheads" of the department.

We already seem to struggle to pay coaches in line with what our peers do who have similar sized budgets. In some ways, I'd prefer the department to operate a little leaner, and reserve those funds for hiring/retaining top coaches.

Buck makes millions. Unless he wants to retire in the Burg, it’s not going to happen.

I'll bet our Radio guys make less than 100k a year additional to broadcast our games.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2019 03:12 PM by Dukester.)
06-07-2019 11:26 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Man I get so frustrated when I read posts like this. You don’t pay coaches according to your budget. You pay according to what the market is and hope it fits within your budget. We are an FCS school. A top 5-10 FCS school. I expect the JMU football coach to be among the top 10 FCS coaches in salary as long as his performance warrants that type of pay.
06-07-2019 05:21 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2019 05:21 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  

Man I get so frustrated when I read posts like this. You don’t pay coaches according to your budget. You pay according to what the market is and hope it fits within your budget. We are an FCS school. A top 5-10 FCS school. I expect the JMU football coach to be among the top 10 FCS coaches in salary as long as his performance warrants that type of pay.

We are division I in basketball, same as every other FBS program. It should also be noted we spend roughly ECU / AAC money in athletics.

Hearing we can’t “afford” high quality coaches is what gets frustrating. Watching schools like Charlotte try to poach is frustrating, when we spend far more, and have a larger fan base.
06-07-2019 05:34 PM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Just a thought...

...if you ran a survey of "who is the voice of the Dukes", I wonder how many will say Dave Thomas versus how many will say Curt Dudley???

(my vote would be for Deez, but not sure he has the legs for it :>)
06-07-2019 06:19 PM
Dukester Offline

Dudley
06-07-2019 09:49 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Dudley now but always Schickman. No flags no flags! Good night my friends it’s been a pleasure.
06-08-2019 12:05 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(06-07-2019 06:19 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Just a thought...

...if you ran a survey of "who is the voice of the Dukes", I wonder how many will say Dave Thomas versus how many will say Curt Dudley???

(my vote would be for Deez, but not sure he has the legs for it :>)

my legs won't hold up to those institutions my friend but thanks for the nod.
06-08-2019 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.