Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Jussie Smollett may strike back with lawsuit after charges dropped
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
Jussie Smollett may strike back with lawsuit after charges dropped
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/...es-dropped

Quote:Actor Jussie Smollett’s lawyer suggested his client might take legal action after Chicago prosecutors dropped charges against the “Empire” star on Tuesday.

ABC’s George Stephanopoulos asked attorney Tina Glandian if she was “going to sue" in an interview Wednesday.

“We’re weighing our options now,” Glandian said.

“For Jussie, what’s really important is he really just wants his career and his life back,” Glandian said. “Again, he did not ask for any of this, he was a victim of a crime.”

Glandian didn't go into specifics about whom Smollett’s legal team could target in a lawsuit.

In a shocking turn of events Tuesday, Chicago prosecutors dropped all charges against Smollett after he had been indicted by a grand jury earlier this month on 16 felony counts of lying to authorities, prompting backlash from Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police.

Smollett, 36, claimed he was attacked earlier this year in downtown Chicago by two masked white men who shouted racist and homophobic remarks at him on Jan. 29. Smollett, who is black and gay, claimed they put a noose around his neck and threw what he believed was bleach on him.

In February, the Chicago Police Department announced there was significant evidence that Smollett orchestrated a hoax attack, which was initially investigated by police as a hate crime. According to police, Smollett paid two brothers $3,600 to carry out the assault, and did so to advance his career.

Smollett has consistently said he is innocent.

“This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life. But I am a man of faith and I am a man that has knowledge of my history and I would not bring my family, our lives, or the movement through a fire like this. I just wouldn't,” Smollett said in a statement after the charges were dropped Tuesday.

“Now, I’d like nothing more than to just get back to work and move on with my life but make no mistakes I will always continue to fight for the justice, equality, and betterment of marginalized people everywhere,” he said.
03-27-2019 07:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
RE: Jussie Smollett may strike back with lawsuit after charges dropped
Which faith is he talking about? Just asking.
03-27-2019 08:03 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(03-27-2019 08:03 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  Which faith is he talking about? Just asking.
Honest guess? His true faith is Progressivism.
03-27-2019 08:08 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Fight the deep state Jessie!
03-27-2019 08:09 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I hope the FBI has the balls to nail his ass to the wall.
03-27-2019 08:11 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Saw a lawsuit has about the same probability of occurring as Christine Blasey-Ford filing sexual assault charges in Montgomery County, MD against Brett Kavanaugh.
03-27-2019 08:15 PM
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
How did he get off? Someone must have a bag full of money stashed somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-27-2019 11:03 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Discovery would present the damage evidence that he staged the hoax. He will lose in court.
03-28-2019 01:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Smollett should just thank God that he got off as light as he did. For him to file a lawsuit would be stupid. Maybe if he thought he could get the City to settle to avoid the hassle, it might be worth it. But from what I saw, nobody in Chicago is in a settling mood.

This could be like the lady who sued Justin Bieber for child support, claiming that he fathered her child, only to learn that based upon the child's birthday, she would have to admit to having sex with a minor.
03-28-2019 05:31 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I forget, did OJ Simpson threaten to file a lawsuit after he was acquitted back in 1994 (or maybe it was the following year?).

Maybe a Chicago cop can file a civil lawsuit against him, although it doesn't seem on paper to be anywhere near the same type of deal that the Brown and Goldman families did back in 1997.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2019 05:46 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
03-28-2019 05:45 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-28-2019 05:45 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I forget, did OJ Simpson threaten to file a lawsuit after he was acquitted back in 1994 (or maybe it was the following year?).
Maybe a Chicago cop can file a civil lawsuit against him, although it doesn't seem on paper to be anywhere near the same type of deal that the Brown and Goldman families did back in 1997.

The proceeding that strikes me as having the greatest chance to go forward is the federal mail fraud one. If he used the mail to send a false threatening letter to himself, that's pretty much an open and shut case.

I'd like to see some type of litigation go forward on this, just because I have heard there is some possibility of involvement by Kamala the Slut, and I'd be happy with any resolution of the case if it exposed sufficient wrongdoing by her to destroy her political career.
03-28-2019 06:03 AM
Advertisement

Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
He wont file a lawsuit for the simple fact that it would open a pandoras box where all the evidence could come out in court.
03-28-2019 06:51 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(03-28-2019 06:03 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-28-2019 05:45 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I forget, did OJ Simpson threaten to file a lawsuit after he was acquitted back in 1994 (or maybe it was the following year?).

The proceeding that strikes me as having the greatest chance to go forward is the federal mail fraud one. If he used the mail to send a false threatening letter to himself, that's pretty much an open and shut case.

I'd like to see some type of litigation go forward on this, just because I have heard there is some possibility of involvement by Kamala the Slut, and I'd be happy with any resolution of the case if it exposed sufficient wrongdoing by her to destroy her political career.

As bad as Smollett's deal was, Harris getting involved would be an even bigger WTF move. She seems smarter than to officially dip her nose into the investigation but I can wait a bit to see if anything shows up to prove me wrong.

However, you're wrong about that last sentence. It wouldn't destroy her political career - just her presidential aspirations. She'll still be a California Senator for as long as she wants to be.
03-28-2019 07:03 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Also I was going to point out to those people talking about potential mail fraud, if the USPS was ever privatized, wouldn't federal mail fraud cases go away? Not that it's enough of a deterrent to not privatize things, but it's just one thing to consider in the future.
03-28-2019 07:06 AM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(03-28-2019 07:03 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  
(03-28-2019 06:03 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

As bad as Smollett's deal was, Harris getting involved would be an even bigger WTF move. She seems smarter than to officially dip her nose into the investigation but I can wait a bit to see if anything shows up to prove me wrong.

However, you're wrong about that last sentence. It wouldn't destroy her political career - just her presidential aspirations. She'll still be a California Senator for as long as she wants to be.

The only motivation in getting involved with the investigation would be to cover up being involved in the plot. Smollett's sentence had almost zero political consequence to her and while she did pounce on the fake news story to blame MAGA and racism, so did the rest of the field. WTF move is absolutely correct.
03-28-2019 07:09 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Me thinks Smollett is getting terrible advice.
03-28-2019 07:49 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-...se-n988281
Trump says FBI, DOJ will review 'outrageous' Jussie Smollett case
"It is an embarrassment to our Nation!" Trump said of prosecutors dropping charges against Smollett.

President Donald Trump tweeted Thursday morning that the FBI and Department of Justice would review the decision by Illinois prosecutors to drop all charges facing actor Jussie Smollett for allegedly fabricating a hate crime.
03-28-2019 08:11 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(03-28-2019 06:51 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  He wont file a lawsuit for the simple fact that it would open a pandoras box where all the evidence could come out in court.

Which is exactly why I hope they do just that.

This clown got a political get of jail free card, and is now going to further poke the bear? Bad idea.

Better off just getting out while you can, move to LA and blend in with the rest of the nutbags.

Even threatening to sue is dumber than a box of rocks. Poke the bear. Go head, poke that bear...
03-28-2019 08:36 AM
DustMyBroom Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-28-2019 05:31 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Smollett should just thank God that he got off as light as he did. For him to file a lawsuit would be stupid. Maybe if he thought he could get the City to settle to avoid the hassle, it might be worth it. But from what I saw, nobody in Chicago is in a settling mood.

This could be like the lady who sued Justin Bieber for child support, claiming that he fathered her child, only to learn that based upon the child's birthday, she would have to admit to having sex with a minor.

There’s zero chance of a lawsuit imho. What’s going on here is that he is retaliating for Chicago PD releasing the files on his case. He’s trying to get the very last word in and somehow save some part of his tattered reputation.
03-28-2019 08:41 AM
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
(03-28-2019 06:51 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  He wont file a lawsuit for the simple fact that it would open a pandoras box where all the evidence could come out in court.

Except when you realize that the person who would be defending the city and Police Department from his lawsuit, would be the same office that let him off without prosecution.

They could intentionally flub the case... or agree to settle to give him money without a case.

He lost his job pushing this hoax, he wants to get paid. Him suing and the City settling out of court is a good way for him to get a nice payday for his service in pushing the agenda.
03-28-2019 09:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.