Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Transfers Out
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Transfers Out
Bud Jones and Ellison are transferring out.
03-27-2019 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Transfers Out
Info per verbal commits
03-27-2019 08:45 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Was it the players fault or the coaches for a disappointing season? Appears Murphy believes it was the players. Next season will tell If it was the Coach and not the players who should have been replaced.
03-27-2019 08:51 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Murphy better have a PG lined up and ready to commit at any moment.
03-27-2019 08:53 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Or is Murphy acknowledging some recruiting miscues in past recruiting claases?
03-27-2019 09:27 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-27-2019 08:32 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Bud Jones and Ellison are transferring out.

I'm guessing that Ellison will go D-II. If I'm right he could find a home in the GLIAC. GLIAC is handy for MAC players who wish to move down a division.

I have no idea on Jones.

What I think we are seeing at EMU and the MAC is that players who are very good are looking for greener grass and those who are borderline players on their teams are also looking for greener grass.

When I look at minutes or PPG or whatever and then see a player announcing his transfer I think to myself, "I'm not surprised."

No transfer out averaged even 4 ppg within conference this past season.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 09:47 AM by emu steve.)
03-27-2019 09:42 AM
Advertisement

JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

Bud Jones hurts. I always thought he had a terrific upside. I thought he would be an OLINEMAN at one point on the football team. 2 of the transfers were out of state students and Malik wasn't going to do much in the MAC given his game that I saw.

Murphy has to pull off a miracle this offseason and or the players know he's gone.
03-27-2019 10:20 AM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

I think the players are seeing the writing on the wall of a lame duck coach. They would rather leave now and pick their new coach and team and have more years with them than wait around with Rob Murphy Dumpster Fire.
03-27-2019 10:23 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-27-2019 10:23 AM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  I think the players are seeing the writing on the wall of a lame duck coach. They would rather leave now and pick their new coach and team and have more years with them than wait around with Rob Murphy Dumpster Fire.

I understand your points, but I see something much BIGGER.

When should a player transfer if he is going to transfer?

I say after his sophomore year. He'll know by the 2nd conference season if he will get major minutes his junior and senior year.

If after 2 years not in the rotation, then maybe his future at the school is limited.

When I look at players transferring, I look for players who have averaged at least 7 or 8 PPG. (a frosh center can be say 4 or 5 ppg).

If I see a MAC player as a soph ave. 2.8 PPG then he would seem to be a candidate for transfer either lower level D-I or D-II.

Kids don't come to sit for four years....
03-27-2019 10:35 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2019 10:23 AM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  I think the players are seeing the writing on the wall of a lame duck coach. They would rather leave now and pick their new coach and team and have more years with them than wait around with Rob Murphy Dumpster Fire.

Perhaps. I’ll fully agree with you if either Groce or McAdoo transfers. Those would be huge blows.

Bud Jones was a square peg in a round hole when it came to the zone, but I loved his potential as a rebounder and inside scorer. Shame he didn’t get enough of a chance here. Ellison looked overwhelmed offensively, but he did very well on the defensive end.

I still thought we needed another PG even with Ellison on the roster, so this doesn’t change anything. Makes it more urgent, honestly, and now we have a couple more scholarships to work with.

Fact is, we had a huge roster last season and only played 7-8 guys a game. An exodus was bound to happen. Might not be done, either.
03-27-2019 10:36 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

One of the big questions for me is McAdoo. How good as a backup PG? Good enough handle????
03-27-2019 10:38 AM
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2019 10:38 AM)emu steve Wrote:  One of the big questions for me is McAdoo. How good as a backup PG? Good enough handle????

I don’t think his handle is an issue, and he can beat anyone off the dribble. His problem is decision-making. I lost count of how many careless passes and turnovers he had. It drove Murphy nuts.

I still think it’s worth a shot, because Murphy’s lack of offense forces the point guard to have to do everything on his own at the end of games, and McAdoo is probably our best scoring option on the roster. But if we can add a JUCO playmaker and a HS senior, I’d be happy.
03-27-2019 10:48 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

NIU also has 4 players transferring, as well as WMU losing Bryce Moore and Ohio losing Carter. All MAC teams are going through it right now, the question just is what does it end for us. If these are the only names, it won't be a total disaster.

This stat surprised me: 40% of Division 1 MBB players transfer by sophomore year - http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/rese...basketball
03-27-2019 11:38 AM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

Also, I understand Wetherbee is kind of strapped to make a change but it just really sucks that he can't/or won't.
03-27-2019 11:39 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Here is a surprise I believe we could end up with a surprising team next year as in competitive.... a 20 win team well..... Everyone in the MAC is reloading
Can we reload better?
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 03:25 PM by emu79.)
03-27-2019 11:54 AM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
I told you guys - Murphy is getting rid of everyone other than the projected starters so he can retool and save his job.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 03:41 PM by holybovine.)
03-27-2019 12:43 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

Could we get a math major to come up with a function about freshman and transfers.

My guess is that the number of transfers a team has is a function of the number of freshmen it takes on.

As Frank posted above, lot of freshmen transfer by the end of their sophomore years.

The converse is that a program which takes on a lot of JUCOs or transfers will have few(er) transfers. As I've always said, a player gets, usually, one transfer. Use and then stay at your second school (e.g., Minnie, Jackson, etc.).
03-27-2019 01:13 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
King and Parris are next, I reckon.
03-27-2019 08:25 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-27-2019 10:48 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(03-27-2019 10:38 AM)emu steve Wrote:  One of the big questions for me is McAdoo. How good as a backup PG? Good enough handle????

I don’t think his handle is an issue, and he can beat anyone off the dribble. His problem is decision-making. I lost count of how many careless passes and turnovers he had. It drove Murphy nuts.

I still think it’s worth a shot, because Murphy’s lack of offense forces the point guard to have to do everything on his own at the end of games, and McAdoo is probably our best scoring option on the roster. But if we can add a JUCO playmaker and a HS senior, I’d be happy.

When pressed full court Murphy pulled McAdoo out because he coughed up the ball frequently. He goes to basket nicely but his eyes are singularly focused on the hoop, he does not look to pass, thus his weakness in press coverage.

I was delighted when Murphy recruited a bunch of high school kids two years ago instead of the usual JUCO guys. Lets face it, however, the class of Ellison, Jones, McAdoo, Silver, King, Silver, Ballard and Petersen was just not very good. When you consider our developmental history, it was tragic. I was dead wrong.

You go Murph, scour those JC ranks, get us a respectable team for next year and allow the next coach to build the program without the encumbrance of a bunch of freshman sub performers.
03-28-2019 07:09 PM
vannzee Offline
Special Teams

Per his Twitter, Tariq Silver is out as well.
03-30-2019 09:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.