Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CA Mother Gets 50 Years of Back Child Support
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
CA Mother Gets 50 Years of Back Child Support
http://www.fox19.com/2019/03/27/mother-w...rly-years/

Hmm.. $150K. I have a real problem with this. The biggest beef I have is that this appears to be punitive in nature and that so much time has passed since the child was a minor (I am guessing the subject of the order has to be in her 60s herself). On top of all this, what benefit does award serve to the child (who once again is no longer a child)?
03-27-2019 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: CA Mother Gets 50 Years of Back Child Support
There isn't much detail about a court ruling in that article but if you want to go after someone for child support, California is the state to do it.
03-27-2019 08:23 AM
bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
(03-27-2019 08:13 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  http://www.fox19.com/2019/03/27/mother-w...rly-years/

Hmm.. $150K. I have a real problem with this. The biggest beef I have is that this appears to be punitive in nature and that so much time has passed since the child was a minor (I am guessing the subject of the order has to be in her 60s herself). On top of all this, what benefit does award serve to the child (who once again is no longer a child)?

It is definitely punitive, but oh well. He was ordered by the court to pay child support and instead ran away to Canada leaving his wife to raise their 3 year old. I think the amount is insane, but if he is back in country he should have to pay every penny he was ordered to up until the child's 18th birthday. The award is of no benefit to the "child", but instead of saving all of those years she was paying all of the bills.

This is certainly a big f-u to the ex-husband, but frankly he deserves it.
03-27-2019 08:27 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(03-27-2019 08:13 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  http://www.fox19.com/2019/03/27/mother-w...rly-years/

I married a girl who had a son. He was 12 when I met her and 14 when she and I got married.

His father never participated in his life. Well, once in a blue moon he'd answer the phone when his child called and promise to do something with him.

It was tough watching this kid wait on the front porch steps because his dad was picking him up and they were going to the park, the game, _______ (fill in the blank).

It was tougher trying to comfort him after his heart was broken each and every time.

He and I went to a Men's Conference at our church once. The speaker mentioned his son was in attendance along with his son's friend. He mentioned the friend's father had recently passed away.

I turned to my stepson and said, "I don't know which is worse: losing a father or never having one."

My wife got pregnant her senior year in high school by her boyfriend. Once she told him, he wanted her to get an abortion. She wouldn't do it. Her own mother told her to get an abortion. She wouldn't do it. Her grandmother told her to keep the child.

I respect my wife more than I can say for her decision to not kill her baby. I respect her grandmother for being there and giving her the morally correct guidance.

My wife was awarded child support. As a single teen mother and later as a single 20s mother, it was incredibly difficult for her to work and support the two of them.

She never received a child support check. She'd contact the Juvenile Court officer and they'd schedule a court date. When delivering the court order to the father they discovered he had moved. The problem with this is that Memphis is actually a tri-state area: Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas. Three states, three sets of laws, three court systems.

The father didn't move far, just across the state line. She'd file a case for child support collections in state # 2. He'd move to state # 3. Still in the Memphis metro area, mind you.

Once she and I got married, she didn't need child support payments.

By the time her son, my stepson, was 18, she finally found a lawyer who was able to handle the situation. His tax refunds were intercepted. His wages were garnished.

But by this time, it wasn't about need. It was about justice.

It was about payment for broken promises and broken hearts.

Yeah, it was punitive.

But it was justice.

And the guy still got off easy given the psychological damage he inflicted on another human being -- a child who grew into a man: The pain of thinking you were worthless. Not even your own father cared about you.
03-27-2019 09:48 AM
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
Fix your title to be accurate. "gets 50 years of back child support" does not mean the same thing as "get child support after 50 years"
03-27-2019 11:26 AM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
I got divorced when my son was 8 and my daughter was 5. I never once missed a single child support payment, not one time. I think I was late one time in all those years. If nothing else got paid my child support did. Not because I was legally obligated to pay it either. I could have chosen to run off somewhere else and disappear but I was right there as those children were being created so I was right there as they were growing up. I was instilled with a strong sense of personal responsibility early on and it's stayed with me my entire life. Eff him and anyone who doesn't take care of their kids.
03-28-2019 04:53 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(03-27-2019 11:26 AM)q5sys Wrote:  Fix your title to be accurate. "gets 50 years of back child support" does not mean the same thing as "get child support after 50 years"

Nice catch.
03-28-2019 04:54 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(03-27-2019 08:27 AM)bobdizole Wrote:  

It is definitely punitive, but oh well. He was ordered by the court to pay child support and instead ran away to Canada leaving his wife to raise their 3 year old. I think the amount is insane, but if he is back in country he should have to pay every penny he was ordered to up until the child's 18th birthday. The award is of no benefit to the "child", but instead of saving all of those years she was paying all of the bills.

This is certainly a big f-u to the ex-husband, but frankly he deserves it.

Yeah, the amount is questionable but the dude did this to himself. Don't feel sorry for him at all.
03-28-2019 08:14 AM
king king Offline
Got Nothing on Me

I Root For: Your mom
(03-28-2019 04:53 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  I got divorced when my son was 8 and my daughter was 5. I never once missed a single child support payment, not one time. I think I was late one time in all those years. If nothing else got paid my child support did. Not because I was legally obligated to pay it either. I could have chosen to run off somewhere else and disappear but I was right there as those children were being created so I was right there as they were growing up. I was instilled with a strong sense of personal responsibility early on and it's stayed with me my entire life. Eff him and anyone who doesn't take care of their kids.

Oh yeah? How'd I turn out this way then?

03-nutkick
03-28-2019 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.