WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tim Miles
floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
Tim Miles
He’d bring enthusiasm and improved recruiting to Kalamazoo.
03-26-2019 06:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

okgc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: Tim Miles
(03-26-2019 06:57 PM)floridabronco Wrote:  He’d bring enthusiasm and improved recruiting to Kalamazoo.

I would bet it’s harder to win in Kalamazoo that in Nebraska and he could not win in Nebraska

Besides he said something like ‘If they fire me I will still be a millionaire”
03-26-2019 07:20 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(03-26-2019 06:57 PM)floridabronco Wrote:  He’d bring enthusiasm and improved recruiting to Kalamazoo.

He would but a huge step down from his trajectory. Success at ND State prior to Saul Phillips, then Colorado State before Larry E and then likely the most far flung God forsaken place for people outside of Nebraska.

Recruited some decent players. Had some success but None of them were remotely on the radar of a MSU, Indiana, Texas or Oklahoma. B listers for the most part. Hard to get excited about Lincoln. Harder when you know you are 3rd at best behind Football and Woman's Volleyball. Add to that some defections (I can do better at Marquette -no you can't Ed Morrow of Simeon HS in Chicago) and injuries (Copeland this year - a transfer in) and your'e playing 4 on 5 every night.

His recruiting mojo is the Great Plains. The Chicago kids were brought in by Jim Molinari an asst who was former HC at NIU, Bradley, WIU, interim at Minnesota and asst at DePaul and BSU before the WIU gig.. Mol is 63 going on 64. Still has the juice but too a sizable step down. Mol has a penchant for finding the diamonds in the rough. At Nebraska, Isiah Roby out from near NIU, at Bradley Candace Parkers older brother Anthony who nobody wanted and he played (may still be playing) in the NBA. Another kid no one wanted, Danny Granger who transferred to New Mexico when Mol was let go at Bradley who was a 1st rounder, Tyrone Corbin (Xavier McDaniels school bus driver) and he was able to get Terrence Greene and Marty Embry out of Flint Central. Both touted but not elite.
03-26-2019 07:40 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2019 07:20 PM)okgc Wrote:  

I would bet it’s harder to win in Kalamazoo that in Nebraska and he could not win in Nebraska

Why?

Talking relative to peers here.

Nebraska has never won an NCAA tournament game, the only major conference team with that "distinction".

I don't think Miles to WMU is a reasonable possibility nor do I think Hawkins is in danger of losing his job. But that's a weird statement.
03-26-2019 10:29 PM
Advertisement

Rasser Offline
Banned

I Root For: World peas
I thought he had a good gig at CSU. Betcha they'd take him back after the Larry E debacle.

Watching his practices on CSU's public tv back then, I thought he was a great teacher, communicator and motivator.
03-26-2019 11:07 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Will Kain on ESPN Radio gave his opinion on five worst P5 basketball jobs yesterday.

Nebraska was number one.

Interestingly three of others were also Big Ten - Northwestern, Rutgers, and Penn State.
03-27-2019 06:02 AM
HaymondAtThe4 Offline
2nd String

Guys it's gotta be Saddi
03-27-2019 09:43 AM
Advertisement

fastbuicks Offline
Special Teams

Nebraska has put millions into it's arena and practice facility last eight years. He had access to top 5 basketball facility in B10 his entire tenure and produced mid pack B10 team that lost games to mid majors more than once. They put in VIP boxes for big donors, club seating and up scale food service venues.

How do you leave that and come to WMU expecting to out recruit the other MAC programs? Wichita St, Creighton, Northern Iowa and other nearby small schools have out recruited Miles in recent years.
03-27-2019 10:24 AM
Rasser Offline
Banned

(03-27-2019 10:24 AM)fastbuicks Wrote:  

Nebraska has put millions into it's arena and practice facility last eight years. He had access to top 5 basketball facility in B10 his entire tenure and produced mid pack B10 team that lost games to mid majors more than once. They put in VIP boxes for big donors, club seating and up scale food service venues.

How do you leave that and come to WMU expecting to out recruit the other MAC programs? Wichita St, Creighton, Northern Iowa and other nearby small schools have out recruited Miles in recent years.

You're right. Saddi it is.
03-27-2019 10:39 AM
floridabronco Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU #1
Don’t know if we’ll be able to afford Saddi.
03-27-2019 05:59 PM
Advertisement

Rasser Offline
Banned

(03-27-2019 05:59 PM)floridabronco Wrote:  Don’t know if we’ll be able to afford Saddi.

But Miles would be in budget?!
03-27-2019 06:25 PM
HaymondAtThe4 Offline
2nd String

As of 2018, Saddi was at $305k. Looks to me like Hawk gets $310k. I do think it would require a bump in basketball funding, but I would like that a lot, so they should do it. I can't stand this basketball as the 3rd sport stuff. I miss the CCHA. Can't believe the Big Ten choosing to do hockey ended up making my favorite sports team terrible.
03-28-2019 11:10 AM
Fthechips Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Mich
(03-28-2019 11:10 AM)HaymondAtThe4 Wrote:  As of 2018, Saddi was at $305k. Looks to me like Hawk gets $310k. I do think it would require a bump in basketball funding, but I would like that a lot, so they should do it. I can't stand this basketball as the 3rd sport stuff. I miss the CCHA. Can't believe the Big Ten choosing to do hockey ended up making my favorite sports team terrible.

I think WMU could scramble some extra $$ to get Saddi.
03-28-2019 11:21 AM
Advertisement

GRBRONCO Offline
1st String

Take 200 K from Lester's salary and offer Saddi 500K.

Lester making nearly 1 mill/year is highway robbery.
03-28-2019 11:36 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
$310k is more than $0, which is what Miles is making next year as of now.

But he ain't coming here, mostly because job isn't open.

As far as Saddi - Southern Illinois (FCS in football) just hired a new basketball coach who is an alum at $575k a year.

He will probably be able to get a head job at a "high mid-major" (i.e. above MAC level) or better for a lot more than what Hawkins is getting especially if U-M makes Final Four again.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2019 02:36 PM by MajorHoople.)
03-28-2019 02:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.