ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hoops Offensive Outlook
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Hoops Offensive Outlook
Well, we thought we knew what we needed for next year already. Now, THERE IS NO DOUBT! Get some offense! You can teach defense, it's kinda hard to teach shooting. Can we please recruit some shooters! (please, thank you)
03-22-2019 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2019
(03-22-2019 08:55 AM)mac Wrote:  Well, we thought we knew what we needed for next year already. Now, THERE IS NO DOUBT! Get some offense! You can teach defense, it's kinda hard to teach shooting. Can we please recruit some shooters! (please, thank you)

Im not concerned with shooting next year...outside of Carver/Dickens/Wade. We actually may have a few snipers in Oliver, Godwin, Green....maybe Kithcart.
03-22-2019 09:32 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2019 09:32 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(03-22-2019 08:55 AM)mac Wrote:  Well, we thought we knew what we needed for next year already. Now, THERE IS NO DOUBT! Get some offense! You can teach defense, it's kinda hard to teach shooting. Can we please recruit some shooters! (please, thank you)

Im not concerned with shooting next year...outside of Carver/Dickens/Wade. We actually may have a few snipers in Oliver, Godwin, Green....maybe Kithcart.

I've heard that Ezikpe has 3 point range. Would like to see him unleash that.

We a "big" big (ala Robinson) and a backup PG. Another shooter wouldn't hurt.
03-22-2019 10:33 AM
757ODU Offline
All American

(03-22-2019 10:33 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  

Yes. That's next up for him. He can really shoot.
03-22-2019 10:44 AM
bit_9 Offline

(03-22-2019 10:44 AM)757ODU Wrote:  

Those last few trips to the line this season he really has a nice touch. He was all net.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019 11:40 AM by bit_9.)
03-22-2019 11:39 AM
Big Bluezilla Offline
All American

(03-22-2019 11:39 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  
(03-22-2019 10:44 AM)757ODU Wrote:  

Those last few trips to the line this season he really has a nice touch. He was all net.

Yes, you can see him brimming with confidence from the line. Very comfortable. No hesitation. Smooth stroke!
03-22-2019 03:32 PM
Advertisement

ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!

I’m excited to see what Oliver can do. How soon can he play?
03-25-2019 07:12 PM
757ODU Offline
All American

(03-25-2019 07:12 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

I’m excited to see what Oliver can do. How soon can he play?

Second semester.
03-26-2019 07:24 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

I think our offense will be very well rounded next year. Assuming Dickens and Ezikpe improve, we should have a much better post game. Between Wade, Green, and Kithcart, we have three guys who can get to the rim whenever they want. We'll also have Godwin, Green, Oliver, and Kithcart who can shoot 35-40% from beyond the arc. Teams likely won't have the option of shutting down 1-2 players and completely stopping our offense next year. We'll have 7-8 guys capable of scoring in double figures.
03-26-2019 07:28 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2019 07:28 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  I think our offense will be very well rounded next year. Assuming Dickens and Ezikpe improve, we should have a much better post game. Between Wade, Green, and Kithcart, we have three guys who can get to the rim whenever they want. We'll also have Godwin, Green, Oliver, and Kithcart who can shoot 35-40% from beyond the arc. Teams likely won't have the option of shutting down 1-2 players and completely stopping our offense next year. We'll have 7-8 guys capable of scoring in double figures.

Not to be contrary, but we had those same guys this year. I expect to see some improvement with them, but the fact is we are losing our best two players and really our only two scorers. A lot of guys are going to have to step up. I think Godwin, Kithcart, X, Wade, Zip and Dickens can all take huge steps in the offseason, but its certainly not a slam dunk (no pun intended).
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019 09:30 AM by monarx.)
03-26-2019 08:31 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Next year is a rebuilding year. Expect the first month a lot of inconsistency as JJ assigns and players learn their roles (for example X scoring 25 one game and 4 the next). They if Oliver is good enough to play significant minutes, expect to see a little of that again in the early conference season. Fortunately our conference is weak enough where they may still earn a bye and be good enough in March, we'll see. If we can keep everyone on the roster for the following season, I will expect that to be a top 50-type team.
03-26-2019 08:37 AM
Advertisement

Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I wouldn't really call next year a "rebuilding" year, since we're not really adding that many pieces. Maybe more of a "retuning" year? Getting everybody up to speed and knowing their roles and growing their skills is really going to be the bulk of next season. Year after I have high expectations.
03-26-2019 08:45 AM
BigBlueMonarch Offline
King of All Things Unimportant

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(03-26-2019 08:37 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  Next year is a rebuilding year. Expect the first month a lot of inconsistency as JJ assigns and players learn their roles (for example X scoring 25 one game and 4 the next). They if Oliver is good enough to play significant minutes, expect to see a little of that again in the early conference season. Fortunately our conference is weak enough where they may still earn a bye and be good enough in March, we'll see. If we can keep everyone on the roster for the following season, I will expect that to be a top 50-type team.

I agree, there are way to many unknowns, and a lot of secondary contributors that need to be major contributors next year. I would love to be surprised and have a couple of the guys make a major step up, but I am being cautious in my optimism. I think a top 4 finish is possible, and finishing in the top two would be a major accomplishment. But with this core, and continuing the progress we have seen with recruiting, I expect to be among the class of the conference in future years. (knock on wood, crossing my fingers, praying to my basketball god)
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019 08:52 AM by BigBlueMonarch.)
03-26-2019 08:52 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

Somebody will score a lot of points next year. JJ's system makes sure of it. He basically runs sets for one dude all the time. Hence Trey scoring a ton, BJ scoring a ton, Bryant Stith being the all time leading scorer at UVA, that dude at American being the nation's leading scorer... Its not so much about stepping up for Green, its about him being the next guy to fill that roll. From what I have seen, he is capable. In fact, we got a glimpse in the last two games of the CUSAT. The bigger question for me is can we surround him in the back court with guys who can all shoot close to 40% from three and get a bit more production from the front court.

If JJ can find peace with Kith without taking his creativity away, Oliver is a consistent shooter, and Godwin is a 40%+ shooter from 3, I think next year's team could be better than this year's. A lot of ifs, but there is some reason for optimism.
03-26-2019 09:59 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

(03-26-2019 08:31 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-26-2019 07:28 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  I think our offense will be very well rounded next year. Assuming Dickens and Ezikpe improve, we should have a much better post game. Between Wade, Green, and Kithcart, we have three guys who can get to the rim whenever they want. We'll also have Godwin, Green, Oliver, and Kithcart who can shoot 35-40% from beyond the arc. Teams likely won't have the option of shutting down 1-2 players and completely stopping our offense next year. We'll have 7-8 guys capable of scoring in double figures.

Not to be contrary, but we had those same guys this year. I expect to see some improvement with them, but the fact is we are losing our best two players and really our only two scorers. A lot of guys are going to have to step up. I think Godwin, Kithcart, X, Wade, Zip and Dickens can all take huge steps in the offseason, but its certainly not a slam dunk (no pun intended).

The younger guys obviously deferred to the Seniors this year. Multiple times in post game interviews Stith and/or Caver mentioned that ONLY one of them would have the ball to close out big games. I think the younger guys felt like they weren't permitted to go off even if they were hot. How many times did we see X take over a game in the last 8 minutes? Why did he wait? He deferred to Stith and Caver all game long. Once he realized they wouldn't or couldn't be "the man", X stepped up and closed the game out.

X was our best offensive player this year. He just wasn't our main focus. While my OP definitely requires a huge increase in opportunity for the young guys, it doesn't require that they increase their skill set hardly at all. Increasing opportunities is going to be easy. Caver and Stith took 52% of our total FGs this season. Stith and Caver were also two of our least efficient offensive players, as well. Granted, a lot of their inefficiency was due to everyone on the court knowing that one of the two of them was going to take almost every shot--leading to a lot of bad or contested shots.

Outside of X, I just don't see any of these guys standing out amongst the crowd. I think 6-7 of them will be very capable scorers. The overall depth of next year's team is exactly why I think they'll be as good or better than this year.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019 11:13 AM by T-Mac.)
03-26-2019 11:12 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2019 11:12 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  

The younger guys obviously deferred to the Seniors this year. Multiple times in post game interviews Stith and/or Caver mentioned that ONLY one of them would have the ball to close out big games. I think the younger guys felt like they weren't permitted to go off even if they were hot. How many times did we see X take over a game in the last 8 minutes? Why did he wait? He deferred to Stith and Caver all game long. Once he realized they wouldn't or couldn't be "the man", X stepped up and closed the game out.

X was our best offensive player this year. He just wasn't our main focus. While my OP definitely requires a huge increase in opportunity for the young guys, it doesn't require that they increase their skill set hardly at all. Increasing opportunities is going to be easy. Caver and Stith took 52% of our total FGs this season. Stith and Caver were also two of our least efficient offensive players, as well. Granted, a lot of their inefficiency was due to everyone on the court knowing that one of the two of them was going to take almost every shot--leading to a lot of bad or contested shots.

Outside of X, I just don't see any of these guys standing out amongst the crowd. I think 6-7 of them will be very capable scorers. The overall depth of next year's team is exactly why I think they'll be as good or better than this year.

Least efficient players? Do what?

Here are our leaders in Player Efficiency Rating:

Ezikpe 21.3
Stith 19.0
Caver 18.8
Kithcart 15.4
Wade 13.1
Dickens 12.3
Green 10.8

Green has the talent and showed glimpses of being a very good offensive player. In no way, shape, or form was he anywhere close to our best offensive player.
03-26-2019 11:21 AM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

This looks spot on to me.
03-26-2019 12:02 PM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

(03-26-2019 11:21 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

Least efficient players? Do what?

Here are our leaders in Player Efficiency Rating:

Ezikpe 21.3
Stith 19.0
Caver 18.8
Kithcart 15.4
Wade 13.1
Dickens 12.3
Green 10.8

Green has the talent and showed glimpses of being a very good offensive player. In no way, shape, or form was he anywhere close to our best offensive player.

3pt%
Green - 41%
Stith - 37%
Caver - 30%

2pt%
Green - 40%
Stith - 41%
Caver - 38%
03-26-2019 12:08 PM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

Maybe I should clarify that Stith and Caver were two of our least efficient SHOOTERS. I think your metrics include a lot of measurables outside of shooting that skew the efficiency numbers towards Stith and Caver.
03-26-2019 12:09 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2019 12:09 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  Maybe I should clarify that Stith and Caver were two of our least efficient SHOOTERS. I think your metrics include a lot of measurables outside of shooting that skew the efficiency numbers towards Stith and Caver.

Thinks like getting to the free throw line are a plus for efficiency.

How about this?

Stith 587 points on 505 shots
Caver 581 points on 514 shots
Green 337 points on 309 shots

Any which way you want to swing it, BJ and Caver were among the best on the team. Green's efficiency is low due to shooting 39% on twos and 68% on free throws.
03-26-2019 12:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.