Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Rocky Mountain high in emergency room
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Rocky Mountain high in emergency room
https://www.foxnews.com/health/marijuana...nver-study

"Five years after Colorado first legalized marijuana, a new study shows pot's bad effects are sending more people to the emergency room.

Inhaled marijuana caused the most severe problems at one large Denver area hospital. Marijuana-infused foods and candies, called edibles, also led to trouble. Patients came to the ER with symptoms such as repeated vomiting, racing hearts and psychotic episodes.

DR. MARC SIEGEL: POT USE AND THE AWFUL PROBLEM OF MARIJUANA-INDUCED PSYCHOSIS

The study, published Monday in Annals of Internal Medicine, stemmed from tales of tourists needing emergency care after gobbling too many marijuana gummies....

Three deaths in Colorado tied to edible products also prompted the study.

Emergency room records from Monte's hospital show a three-fold increase in marijuana cases since the state became the first to allow sales of recreational marijuana in January 2014. Nearly a third of patients were admitted to the hospital, evidence of severe symptoms, Monte said.

In 2012, the ER saw an average of one patient every other day with a marijuana-caused problem. By 2016, the count was two to three per day.

That's not enough to swamp the emergency department, Monte said, but it stresses an already burdened system.

Most people can use marijuana safely, Monte said, but with its increased availability and higher THC concentrations, "we may be seeing more adverse drug reactions," he said...."
03-26-2019 11:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: Rocky Mountain high in emergency room
Muh "natural product"

Muh "not as bad as alcohol"

Muh "legalize it"

Perfect example of "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"....
03-26-2019 01:54 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I suspect some of this is the result of the fact that these are not usually really life threatening, so previously these same people wouldn't have sought care due to the fact that
a) it was illegal thus they felt they risked arrest and
b) they didn't have insurance... even though ERs don't require it.
03-26-2019 01:57 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
How many alcohol related emergency room visits?

I do agree that with THC concentrations and various delivery methods there are ways to pump yourself full of more than your body can handle, but that goes with anything. Edibles also take an hour or so to kick in which makes it difficult to moderate. My wife and I ate some a couple years back, then had a drink and went to dinner completely forgetting that we had the brownies. They hit about half way through our meal and we were laughing uncontrollably. And we only had one a piece.

At some point you can't fix stupid. People are even eating Tide pods.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019 02:08 PM by EverRespect.)
03-26-2019 02:07 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I have no pity for those that need an ER because they are USING marijuana. If I chose to smoke it or eat it and I got sick it would be my fault and no one elses. It's called suffering the consequences of your actions. Remember, EVERYTHING that you do in life has a consequence (even the most minute) and we must do the right thing in order not to suffer from the wrong ones.

What is it that is said, "play stupid game suffer from stupid choice". Or words to that effect.
03-26-2019 02:16 PM
bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
(03-26-2019 01:54 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  Muh "natural product"

Muh "legalize it"

You can OD on anything. Only difference is when you OD on weed you have a panic attack, you OD on alcohol you die.
03-26-2019 02:32 PM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
Psychosis is an issue with pot for some people. I know that angers some potheads, but its just reality.
03-26-2019 02:45 PM
bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
(03-26-2019 02:45 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Psychosis is an issue with pot for some people. I know that angers some potheads, but its just reality.

It absolutely is. You take an inexperienced person and give them too much of a very potent sativa(more heady, energizing vs indicas) and they are going to go to a very bad place. 99.9% of the time a couple hours and maybe a hot shower will bring them back to reality, but every once in awhile the effects can more long lasting.

As opposed to all of those synthetics that came out like spice and k2 that were really messing people up, it's still a relatively harmless thing. As owl pointed out usually the bad things happen to people that don't know how to dose correctly and bite off way more than they chew.

I haven't partaken in 8 years or so, I can't imagine what the legal stuff in CO is like now.
03-26-2019 02:56 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-26-2019 01:57 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I suspect some of this is the result of the fact that these are not usually really life threatening, so previously these same people wouldn't have sought care due to the fact that

This is Colorado where it all is legal.
03-26-2019 03:29 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-26-2019 02:32 PM)bobdizole Wrote:  

Muh "legalize it"

You can OD on anything. Only difference is when you OD on weed you have a panic attack, you OD on alcohol you die.

Well they studied this because 3 deaths were tied in to edibles. Didn't say whether those were conclusively due to the edibles.
03-26-2019 03:31 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-26-2019 03:29 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(03-26-2019 01:57 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I suspect some of this is the result of the fact that these are not usually really life threatening, so previously these same people wouldn't have sought care due to the fact that

This is Colorado where it all is legal.

yes... I'm saying that it didn't used to be so they didn't go... now it is so they do.

I'm not sure this means there's been a significant increase in the incidence, just a significant increase in the presentations to ERs.... even though ERs generally wouldn't report such things to authorities (barring someone creating an incident)
03-26-2019 04:01 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-26-2019 02:16 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  I have no pity for those that need an ER because they are USING marijuana. If I chose to smoke it or eat it and I got sick it would be my fault and no one elses. It's called suffering the consequences of your actions. Remember, EVERYTHING that you do in life has a consequence (even the most minute) and we must do the right thing in order not to suffer from the wrong ones.

What is it that is said, "play stupid game suffer from stupid choice". Or words to that effect.

The saying in our family for at least four generations has been, "Stay away from stupid people, stupid people get you killed!" I haven't known many bright pot users.

I'm still mystified that studies into pot consumption done in the 70's acknowledged the amount of hazardous tar deposited in the lungs and back then it was believed that pot smoking was just as likely, if not more likely, to cause lung cancer as cigarettes. Maybe new studies show different results, but smoking anything is not good for the lungs.
03-26-2019 04:11 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

Muh "legalize it"

88,000 people die in the United States per year from alcohol. https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health...statistics

Let me know when cannabis is within 2 zeros of that. I'm not going to be taking Captain Morgan down off the shelf. And I'm not calling the cops on Snoop Dogg either.
03-26-2019 04:17 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-26-2019 04:17 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Muh "legalize it"

88,000 people die in the United States per year from alcohol. https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health...statistics

Let me know when cannabis is within 2 zeros of that. I'm not going to be taking Captain Morgan down off the shelf. And I'm not calling the cops on Snoop Dogg either.

I'm not for prohibition but let's be honest here shall we? Darwinian principles are in play for alcohol consumption, pot smoking, and any other self-inhibiting practice whether that is fast food addictions, or only eating tofu. Let natural selection do its job.
03-26-2019 04:37 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Rocky Mountain high in emergency room
Usually the problem is people taking higher concentrations than they should. Dont eat a 20mg cookie first time out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
03-27-2019 06:21 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(03-26-2019 02:45 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Psychosis is an issue with pot for some people. I know that angers some potheads, but its just reality.

It does happen. Many times this is attributed to lack of education about cannabis. If you have not used it before then you need to go very slow. Id bet a large portion of these cases are simply folks that smoked way too much of high THC product or ate way too much of an edible. Edibles will BLAST you into space if you overdose.

The pot people are buying OTC is not the pot of old. It is potent and you need use it very much like we use meds and take the proper dosage. If not? You can end up freaking out from it's affects.
03-27-2019 11:45 AM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(03-27-2019 11:45 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

It does happen. Many times this is attributed to lack of education about cannabis. If you have not used it before then you need to go very slow. Id bet a large portion of these cases are simply folks that smoked way too much of high THC product or ate way too much of an edible. Edibles will BLAST you into space if you overdose.

The pot people are buying OTC is not the pot of old. It is potent and you need use it very much like we use meds and take the proper dosage. If not? You can end up freaking out from it's affects.

I fully agree. And I am not in favor of prohibition either, and I have smoked some of the new high grade stuff in the last 10 years.

But we need to be honest and real about the effects on some people and in some situations. This stuff is super strong now. Most of the stuff being sold in the streets today (even in states where its still illegal) is high grade stuff. That is a big change from 10 years ago.

I have some family members that still smoke regularly, and all they ever buy now is high grade. The stuff I smoked back in the 90's and early 2000's was dirt weed compared to the quality and potency of their stuff now.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2019 11:57 AM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-27-2019 11:57 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(03-26-2019 02:07 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  How many alcohol related emergency room visits?

I do agree that with THC concentrations and various delivery methods there are ways to pump yourself full of more than your body can handle, but that goes with anything. Edibles also take an hour or so to kick in which makes it difficult to moderate. My wife and I ate some a couple years back, then had a drink and went to dinner completely forgetting that we had the brownies. They hit about half way through our meal and we were laughing uncontrollably. And we only had one a piece.

At some point you can't fix stupid. People are even eating Tide pods.

...and Beato's eating baby turds.
03-27-2019 12:21 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I don’t think natural selection will do much to reduce addiction. And having gone to the funeral of a young relative last week who died of an od, I don’t have much sympathy for that point of view
03-27-2019 02:07 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/201...illness-1/

OK so I'm conservative so not the typical Mother Jones reader; however, this article is alarming.
03-27-2019 02:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.