Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gamecock Faithful
Bookmark and Share
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

I Root For: USC Gamecocks

Crappies

Quote:If you think South Carolina has "arrived" guess again. You still got hammered by UT. Care to give me last year's UF vs USC score? If USC is "better" than UGa, I would expect USC to take care of business vs the Gators. Speaking of which, when was the last time USC ever beat the Gators since joining the SEC? Since USC has joined the SEC, UGa has beaten UF at least once. That's more USC can say for sure.
You remind me of Duke fans after Goldsmith took them to one bowl in the post-Spurrier era. Duke football was back, blah, blah. You may be dominating UK and MSU right now, but as you know, the past is not necessarily an indication of the future. UK has been serious about upgrading its football program, and I've seen more of a commitment to UK football now, than I've ever seen in the past. Plus, do you really think that the largest school in the state of Mississippi will be down for long?

<!--EDIT|raptorcox|May 28 2003, 11:24 AM-->
05-28-2003 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Double post......

<!--EDIT|Galactus|May 28 2003, 11:29 AM-->
05-28-2003 11:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Not sure I get his point here; in any case, I'm the first to say that we are hardly worldbeaters........but the fact remains that we HAVE been VERY competitive with UGA since joining the SEC........and arguably over the last 20 years, beginning with a 27-10 win over Georgia in Columbia in 1978.

Florida has just been a superior program, not just compared to USC but to the entire SEC, and not too many people would argue with that. They've had loads of talent like nobody's business........end of story. Tennessee is talented as well, but I really think our team has a pschological block versus the vols. The last three years we've really had our chances against them, but we've blown it.

IMO, we compete with Georgia well because we have a long history with them and are familiar with the Dogs. When we started playing Tennessee in '92, it was our first meeting versus the Vols since 1971. When we faced Florida that same year, it was our first meeting versus the Gators since the 1930s.

I am continually amazed at the widespread hatred people have for the University of South Carolina and it's loyal fans. I could understand if we had dominated sports for years and years........but more often than not we've only proven to be a minor annoyance. Why the anger and hate? I encountered this puzzling attitude from Florida fans when I lived in the sunshine state for several years in the 90s.

See why, other than Vandy, I don't pull for other SEC teams? They hate us. Just more evidence that college football is all about the traditional powers and the status quo........fans of the traditional schools and the national media don't like it when a "new kid on the block" comes along and tries to compete. They'd rather see Alabama, Nebraska, Michigan, Southern Cal, Texas, FSU, Miami, etc. etc. ....ad nauseum..... stay on top forever and ever.

What, exactly, was wrong with Duke fans getting excited over their brief run of success? Why can't you just be happy for them? What are they supposed to do? Cry when they win? Pull against their own team? What? C'mon.......surely with the immense success Georgia has had over the years they can spare a little bit of their happiness and let other folks join in the fun. All some of us want is one successful season........fans like these are simply spoiled with success. It's not enough that they win; they also want to see YOU suffer as a result. They revel in other peoples unhappiness and pain. It's the world we live in, I'm sad to say.

Sorry.....but win or lose, some of us are always going to be supporters of the Gamecocks......and the school is always going to attempt to compete. It's my alma mater......it's where I was born and raised........the school is named for my home state........the University of South Carolina may not be much, but this is a state that has no major metropolitan areas and no pro franchises.......in some ways it's all we have.

Sorry to be longwinded; but this is a part of college football that irritates me to no end. I don't understand the attitudes......and the joy some people get from the misfortunes of others.

<!--EDIT|Galactus|May 28 2003, 11:26 AM-->
05-28-2003 11:14 AM
Drakeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Galactus Wrote:Not sure I get his point here;........
I'm not sure if he has one. His 1st paragraph focused on things that USC has not done in the past, but in the 2nd paragraph he states "the past is not necessarily an indication of the future". He seems to be chasing his tail, but Dawgs do that.
05-28-2003 12:46 PM
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

To be fair, I did some editing of a post I found this a.m. by DawgNBama directed at 1st and Goal. Just wanted to bring it to your attention. The original thread is one that leechrdavdar started on the gamecock area.

<!--EDIT|raptorcox|May 28 2003, 01:59 PM-->
05-28-2003 12:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA

Galactus Wrote:Not sure I get his point here; in any case, I'm the first to say that we are hardly worldbeaters........but the fact remains that we HAVE been VERY competitive with UGA since joining the SEC........and arguably over the last 20 years, beginning with a 27-10 win over Georgia in Columbia in 1978.

Florida has just been a superior program, not just compared to USC but to the entire SEC, and not too many people would argue with that. They've had loads of talent like nobody's business........end of story. Tennessee is talented as well, but I really think our team has a pschological block versus the vols. The last three years we've really had our chances against them, but we've blown it.

IMO, we compete with Georgia well because we have a long history with them and are familiar with the Dogs. When we started playing Tennessee in '92, it was our first meeting versus the Vols since 1971. When we faced Florida that same year, it was our first meeting versus the Gators since the 1930s.

I am continually amazed at the widespread hatred people have for the University of South Carolina and it's loyal fans. I could understand if we had dominated sports for years and years........but more often than not we've only proven to be a minor annoyance. Why the anger and hate? I encountered this puzzling attitude from Florida fans when I lived in the sunshine state for several years in the 90s.

See why, other than Vandy, I don't pull for other SEC teams? They hate us. Just more evidence that college football is all about the traditional powers and the status quo........fans of the traditional schools and the national media don't like it when a "new kid on the block" comes along and tries to compete. They'd rather see Alabama, Nebraska, Michigan, Southern Cal, Texas, FSU, Miami, etc. etc. ....ad nauseum..... stay on top forever and ever.

What, exactly, was wrong with Duke fans getting excited over their brief run of success? Why can't you just be happy for them? What are they supposed to do? Cry when they win? Pull against their own team? What? C'mon.......surely with the immense success Georgia has had over the years they can spare a little bit of their happiness and let other folks join in the fun. All some of us want is one successful season........fans like these are simply spoiled with success. It's not enough that they win; they also want to see YOU suffer as a result. They revel in other peoples unhappiness and pain. It's the world we live in, I'm sad to say.

Sorry.....but win or lose, some of us are always going to be supporters of the Gamecocks......and the school is always going to attempt to compete. It's my alma mater......it's where I was born and raised........the school is named for my home state........the University of South Carolina may not be much, but this is a state that has no major metropolitan areas and no pro franchises.......in some ways it's all we have.

Sorry to be longwinded; but this is a part of college football that irritates me to no end. I don't understand the attitudes......and the joy some people get from the misfortunes of others.
I'll address this to RaptorCox and Galactus (not sure why my post got a thread of its own, but oh well).

My point is that USC has yet to show it can sustain success over a prolonged period of time. That is the point right there. Thought I made it rather clear, but apparently I didn't. My main gripe about USC fans is that during the preseason they get their hopes ridiculously high, and then turn out to have an average, or in some cases, a below average season. Now, is it wrong to get one's hopes up about one's team? No, in fact, that's part of what makes any sport (college football, college basketball, any pro sport, golf, tennis, etc) fun. If you don't think you can compete, you've lost the battle right there. However, at the same time, you don't need to be pumping yourselves up to be the next "Nebraska" either, when you're obviously not a "Nebraska" type team, capish? Everything in moderation, 03-wink , just like the Bible teaches. 03-cool In fact, this was my gripe about the Duke fans as well.
Yes, Florida was/is a superior program both under Spurrier and Zook (so far), but they can be beat (see 1997's Cocktail party and the Ole Miss upset of Florida last year). The fact that Florida is a superior program should NOT be taken as an excuse to just lie down against the Gaytors!!
Same deal with the Vols, although the Vols have looked rather mediocre lately.
I remember seeing Vanderbilt take on ND not too long ago, and when I first saw the game on the schedule, I thought to myself "Vandy's going to get smoked." Instead, Vandy had ND on the ropes for most of the game!!!
THAT impressed me! Rather than just packing it in, Vandy took advantage to prove its worth against one of the country's elite teams. South Carolina could learn a lesson or two from the Commodores, IMO.
Do I hate Gamecock fans? No, not really. For crying out loud, one of my fraternity brothers is a Gamecock fan!!! He told me something interesting once, and I'll never forget for as long as I live "Anyone can root for Alabama or Auburn. It takes a REAL fan to pull for South Carolina!!" That stuck with me, and it's been 2 or 3 years since he said it!
05-28-2003 01:59 PM
raptorcox Offline
NBA Moderator

Crappies

DawgNBama, comparing us to Duke is pretty low especially coming from a poster that appears to have followed SEC and ACC football so well in the past. USC has a lot of things Duke will never have - NEVER! Duke only seems to care about Basketball anyway and with that focus should be ashamed when they don't even make it past the sweet sixteen in the NCAAs.
If you want to compare a team from the ACC to USC try our rival Clemson. Sure they won the NCAA National Championship in 1981 - However, Clemson and USC try so hard to keep up with each other it is almost sickening (facilities, recruits, coaches). Clemson's true focus has always been football, just like USC - Duke was not a good example IMO.

BTW, I gave your post its own thread just to see what other Gamecock fans thought of it.

Not picking on you or anything, DawgNBama - just trying to get you some more attention around here.

<!--EDIT|raptorcox|May 28 2003, 03:28 PM-->
05-28-2003 02:21 PM
DawgNBama Offline

raptorcox Wrote:DawgNBama, comparing us to Duke is pretty low especially coming from a poster that appears to have followed SEC and ACC football so well in the past. USC has a lot of things Duke will never have - NEVER! Duke only seems to care about Basketball anyway and with that focus should be ashamed when they don't even make it past the sweet sixteen in the NCAAs.
If you want to compare a team from the ACC to USC try our rival Clemson. Sure they won the NCAA National Championship in 1981 - However, Clemson and USC try so hard to keep up with each other it is almost sickening (facilities, recruits, coaches). Clemson's true focus has always been football, just like USC - Duke was not a good example IMO.

BTW, I gave your post its own thread just to see what other Gamecock fans thought of it.

Not picking on you or anything, DawgNBama - just trying to get you some more attention around here.
I thought I was comparing the fans, but oh well. Yes, Duke lives, breaths, and farts basketball about 99.9% of the time. No question there, and most USC fans I've noticed aren't that much into basketball. Actually, the best team I could compare USC with would be Oregon. Like USC, Oregon has no national titles in football. However, Oregon has made a name for itself in football, and is much more of a football school than a basketball school. However, that's where the comparison stops and the differences begin. 03-wink

Thanks for the attention, I guess. :)
05-28-2003 02:29 PM
DawgNBama Offline

Almost forgot about this, but it actually does bear mentioning.

Pre-Holtz, it seemed like the teams South Carolina focused on beating the most were UGa and Clemson. However, when Holtz came, he did start giving other opponents more attention. In 2001, USC toppled the first of what I would call the Big 4 of the SEC (Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, Florida) when it beat Alabama in Columbia. I completely forgot about that in my rant, and the win over Alabama does show that South Carolina has indeed come a long way since it first entered the SEC. 04-cheers And USC had played them only about 10-15 times, previously, with Alabama winning all of the meetings except the last one in 2001. 04-cheers 04-bow
05-28-2003 02:39 PM
Advertisement

1st and Goal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

DawgNBama Wrote:However, at the same time, you don't need to be pumping yourselves up to be the next "Nebraska" either, when you're obviously not a "Nebraska" type team, capish?
Show me one person, any person who said we are going to be the next Nebraska? One person, capish?

You must be concerned about us since you spend so much time telling us about our team.

See you in Athens.

Got Rings?

<!--EDIT|1st and Goal|May 28 2003, 03:17 PM-->
05-28-2003 03:09 PM
DawgNBama Offline

You brag about about how you "almost" beat UGa three straight times in a row, you view us (UGa) as a "second tier" program, if that's not acting like "We're the next Nebraska" I don't what is. :rolleyes:

RaptorCox, Galactus, and OregonGamecock, you've all been classy fans and represent your school well. As for 1st & Goal, methinks he's had too much "Wild Turkey" when he posts. 1st & Goal absolutely, positively hates all things UGa it seems like, or is extremely jealous of us. As I've stated before, I never have hated South Carolina, and I've always like to see the Gamecocks do well against every team but us. However, I've met a lot of South Carolina fans like 1st & Goal, and those fans make me want to see South Carolina fall flat on its face in every game.
05-28-2003 04:33 PM
Drakeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

1st and Goal Wrote:
DawgNBama Wrote:However, at the same time, you don't need to be pumping yourselves up to be the next "Nebraska" either, when you're obviously not a "Nebraska" type team, capish?
Show me one person, any person who said we are going to be the next Nebraska? One person, capish?
You beat me to it 1st. This guy is starting to remind me of Rocky Top. Remember him?
05-28-2003 04:39 PM
Galactus Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I do.

Listen.....all I ask is that you not generalize a group of fans. If you're addressing a particular poster, SAY SO. One poster does not a fan nation make. I've met a lot of cruddy Georgia fans too. And Florida. And Kentucky. And Tennessee. But the difference is: Those schools have all had their glory years. We have not.........we're still waiting.

My advice is: Do NOT......I repeat, DO NOT......start holding your breath for the day when USC fans have no hopes for the coming season. They always have, they always will. It amazes me, too......but after 37 years, I've learned that this is the way it is here. We are the only show in town. Hey.......I'm as cynical as they come, but I'll freely admit even I've got my hopes up for the coming season. We all need something to look forward to, don't we? I've always said, the best time of the year for us USC fans is in August, because our dreams haven't been smashed yet.

As for Florida, I suspect Vandy has played them well at times (as Vandy does versus everyone) compared to us, simply because Florida takes us a bit more seriously than they do the Dores. Just guessing.......but I think that's the case, especially when Florida sees 80,000 fans supporting the Gamecocks come hell or highwater. There is also the matchup situation.......and Holtz' defenses, IMO, never matched up well with Spurrier's "fun and gun," as speed was not one of our best traits. However, they have matched up well with the Donnan and Richt systems.......and pretty well with the Fulmer personnel, actually.

Also, USC fans can be big supporters of basketball......and have been much bigger supporters over the years than UGA fans. This anti-basketball thing is an SEC thing historically......but remember, we had our glory years in the ACC. Some of us still remember that. Fans will support a winner in basketball (Duke could be considered a winner, I believe).......and we haven't had much of that lately in Columbia.

<!--EDIT|Galactus|May 28 2003, 05:41 PM-->
05-28-2003 05:31 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline

Galactus Wrote:I do.

Listen.....all I ask is that you not generalize a group of fans. If you're addressing a particular poster, SAY SO. One poster does not a fan nation make. I've met a lot of cruddy Georgia fans too. And Florida. And Kentucky. And Tennessee. But the difference is: Those schools have all had their glory years. We have not.........we're still waiting.

My advice is: Do NOT......I repeat, DO NOT......start holding your breath for the day when USC fans have no hopes for the coming season. They always have, they always will. It amazes me, too......but after 37 years, I've learned that this is the way it is here. We are the only show in town. Hey.......I'm as cynical as they come, but I'll freely admit even I've got my hopes up for the coming season. We all need something to look forward to, don't we? I've always said, the best time of the year for us USC fans is in August, because our dreams haven't been smashed yet.

As for Florida, I suspect Vandy has played them well at times (as Vandy does versus everyone) compared to us, simply because Florida takes us a bit more seriously than they do the Dores. Just guessing.......but I think that's the case, especially when Florida sees 80,000 fans supporting the Gamecocks come hell or highwater. There is also the matchup situation.......and Holtz' defenses, IMO, never matched up well with Spurrier's "fun and gun," as speed was not one of our best traits. However, they have matched up well with the Donnan and Richt systems.......and pretty well with the Fulmer personnel, actually.

Also, USC fans can be big supporters of basketball......and have been much bigger supporters over the years than UGA fans. This anti-basketball thing is an SEC thing historically......but remember, we had our glory years in the ACC. Some of us still remember that. Fans will support a winner in basketball (Duke could be considered a winner, I believe).......and we haven't had much of that lately in Columbia.
Deal. No more generalizations. 03-wink
Pssst, Galactus, don't tell anyone this, but I like your teams fans always having hopes for the coming season. 03-wink It's what separates you from UNC which just basically skips over the football season and concentrates on basketball. :frown:
You could be right on SOS. 03-wink
No argument on basketball. That sport has always been the red-headed stepchild at UGa, unfortunately. :frown:
05-28-2003 05:44 PM
1st and Goal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Drakeman Wrote:
1st and Goal Wrote:
You beat me to it 1st. This guy is starting to remind me of Rocky Top. Remember him?
Yup, I remember him.

Dawg, first of all, I'm a Jim Beam kinda guy, I don't do Wild Turkey.

2nd, you do not know me so DO NOT put me in the group of "those fans". If we were to meet, you would see differently. We have "those fans", they sit in the east upper deck, north corner or as I like to call that area, "The Land of the Three Fingered People"

3rd, I do not hate all things UGA. What I do hate is "those fans" who threw battereis at us the last time I followed USC to Athens and "those fans" who laughed at a pregnant woman when she fell climbing up to her seat. For those reasons, I will probably never go to another game in Athens.

4th, anyone who calls me a Klemmer is gonna get it with both barrels.

5th, My statement about you guys being a fumble away from a three game losing streak against us IS NOT making us out to be Nebraska. That's just freakin' stupid.

Dawg, I'm willing to lay down my weapons but keep in mind, they will always be in arms reach.

Cheers 04-cheers

<!--EDIT|1st and Goal|May 29 2003, 07:42 AM-->
05-29-2003 07:35 AM
2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

1st and Goal Wrote:See you in Athens.

Got Rings?
BWAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :D :D :D
05-30-2003 10:33 AM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

1st and Goal Wrote:Got Rings?
Yes?
06-01-2003 07:44 PM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Personally, I like USC. Not really sure why someone would have a problem with them.
06-01-2003 07:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.