Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next Year - the thread for those who can't bother to mourn a bit first
Bookmark and Share
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Next Year - the thread for those who can't bother to mourn a bit first
Hope nobody responds to this for a few weeks, but I think I know better....
03-20-2019 08:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

James Wilson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Etsu bucs
RE: Next Year - the thread for those who can't bother to mourn a bit first
No need to mourn for too long. We will rise from the ashes and get ready for another good year. I just hate the long time till October....
[/i]
03-21-2019 07:07 PM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
You guys are aware we have a football team, right? I think they may be able to more than tide us over until October... Just sayin.
03-22-2019 07:43 AM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
We need to be monitoring the Alabama situation closely.
03-22-2019 08:15 AM
Advertisement

Bucster Offline
All American

Also Wes Miller won't be going to Wake, like some people thought.

03-22-2019 08:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

(03-22-2019 08:15 AM)brock20 Wrote:  We need to be monitoring the Alabama situation closely.

You could be right and maybe can now even add Vandy, and LSU but a more likely scenario is Greg Marshall leaving Wichita State for one of those three (he supposedly turned down Bama before)and then Steve heading to the MidWest to coach the Shockers. I hope Marshall stays put and Forbes remains with us at least another year or three and a couple of NCAA tourney invites and possible runs. If Marshall leaves you can bet Forbes will be at the top of their list of replacements.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019 11:20 AM by BaseballPops.)
03-22-2019 11:11 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-22-2019 11:11 AM)BaseballPops Wrote:  
(03-22-2019 08:15 AM)brock20 Wrote:  We need to be monitoring the Alabama situation closely.

You could be right and maybe can now even add Vandy, and LSU but a more likely scenario is Greg Marshall leaving Wichita State for one of those three (he supposedly turned down Bama before)and then Steve heading to the MidWest to coach the Shockers. I hope Marshall stays put and Forbes comes remains with us at least another year or three and a couple of NCAA tourney invites and possible runs. If Marshall leaves you can bet Forbes will be at the top of their list of replacements.

I am sure he will be mentioned but not sure he would be at the top of the list,
Jans and Grant have both been very successful as head coaches and have a lot more history with Marshall (if Wichita wish to go that route) So not sure that job coming free is anymore of a concern vs any other job.
03-22-2019 11:21 AM
Advertisement

BaseballPops Offline
2nd String

(03-22-2019 11:21 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

You could be right and maybe can now even add Vandy, and LSU but a more likely scenario is Greg Marshall leaving Wichita State for one of those three (he supposedly turned down Bama before)and then Steve heading to the MidWest to coach the Shockers. I hope Marshall stays put and Forbes comes remains with us at least another year or three and a couple of NCAA tourney invites and possible runs. If Marshall leaves you can bet Forbes will be at the top of their list of replacements.

Jans and Grant have both been very successful as head coaches and have a lot more history with Marshall (if Wichita wish to go that route) So not sure that job coming free is anymore of a concern vs any other job.

Could be Rod but for my money Forbes is at the top. Jans has a bit of baggage he'd bring with him (you can look it up) and not sure to which Grant you are referring. Anthony Grant came to mind but I'm not sure he has any history with Wichita State. Longtime FLA assistant HC at VCU then Bama where he was fired, I think landed in NBA back with Donovan for a couple years and now currently at Dayton. If there is another Grant you are referring to please comment. If its between those 3 Forbes would arguably have the strongest resume especially with his time at Wichita and he being from the Midwest. Who knows for sure but hope he sticks around a great while like what Mike Young has done at Wofford.
03-22-2019 11:37 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-22-2019 11:37 AM)BaseballPops Wrote:  
(03-22-2019 11:21 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

Could be Rod but for my money Forbes is at the top. Jans has a bit of baggage he'd bring with him (you can look it up) and not sure to which Grant you are referring. Anthony Grant came to mind but I'm not sure he has any history with Wichita State. Longtime FLA assistant HC at VCU then Bama where he was fired, I think landed in NBA back with Donovan for a couple years and now currently at Dayton. If there is another Grant you are referring to please comment. If its between those 3 Forbes would arguably have the strongest resume especially with his time at Wichita and he being from the Midwest. Who knows for sure but hope he sticks around a great while like what Mike Young has done at Wofford.

Earl Grant current coach at College of Charleston, was an assistant under Marshall at both Winthrop and Wichita State.
Yeah I know all about Jans at Bowling Green but he got a 2nd chance at New Mexico State, took over a good team and kept them going
without missing a beat, 2nd NCAA appearance this year in his 2nd year.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019 12:07 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-22-2019 12:03 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-22-2019 11:37 AM)BaseballPops Wrote:  If its between those 3 Forbes would arguably have the strongest resume especially with his time at Wichita and he being from the Midwest.

Forbes 4 years at ETSU
100-39 (.719)
1 NCAA
1 CIT
1 Vegas.

Chris Jans 1 Year Bowling Green, 2 New Mexico State
Overall 79-23 (.775)
New Mexico State 58-11 (.841)
1 CIT Bowling Green
2 NCAA New Mexico State

Earl Grant
5 years at COC
101-64 (.612)
Took over a bad team 9-24 first year
24-8 this year turned down CIT
26-8 last year NCAA
25-10 year before that NIT

I like resume of all 3 and Jans would be the easy favorite without his baggage
03-22-2019 12:18 PM
Advertisement

BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
Why do we assume that Forbes is looking for the first opportunity to get out of town? He has first hand experience with the Bruce Pearl fiasco at ut, has just seen Pearl's Auburn assistant plead guilty in the tennis shoe scandal. He has seen Will Wade implicated in yet another scandal, etc.

Can he make Alabama a Kentucky in the shadows of Saban? No one probably can.

There is something to be said for a maturity that comes with being content with a half a million dollar a year job. He may very well leave, but I believe he is looking for the right job, not just any job. The death of his father may have changed a lot of things.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019 12:25 PM by BucDoctor.)
03-22-2019 12:24 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-22-2019 12:24 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  Why do we assume that Forbes is looking for the first opportunity to get out of town? He has first hand experience with the Bruce Pearl fiasco at ut, has just seen Pearl's Auburn assistant plead guilty in the tennis shoe scandal. He has seen Will Wade implicated in yet another scandal, etc.

Can he make Alabama a Kentucky in the shadows of Saban? No one probably can.

There is something to be said for a maturity that comes with being content with a half a million dollar a year job. He may very well leave, but I believe he is looking for the right job, not just any job. The death of his father may have changed a lot of things.

I don't that anyone is assuming he is leaving, call it speculation he could leave.
Yeah 500K is nothing to sneeze at but maybe he wants to try his luck at a higher level? I mean he goes some where at 4x the salary, even if he fails they are still going to owe him the money and he can fall back and find a mid major job with ease. He would make more in 3-4 years at High Major than he probably will if he spent rest of his career at ETSU.
03-22-2019 12:41 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Next year ETSU has to be early the favorite as preseason pick to win conference, as things stand now.
With what they have coming back vs what other teams are losing seems like an easy pick.
Somthings I will be really interested in seeing next year
Can Mike Young keep momentum this time after losing
a once in a lifetime player.
Who Mercer hires/ how he decides to rebuild.
Does Wes Miller finally jump ship
Can Chattanooga get their stuff straightened out finally

What are some things you all are tracking about the conference next year?
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2019 01:00 PM by RodShaw2.)
03-22-2019 12:58 PM
Advertisement

Mister Consistency Offline
Special Teams

I would keep an eye on Virginia Tech, as well. They could be looking for a new coach if the Buzz Williams to A&M, er, buzz has any truth to it.
03-22-2019 02:17 PM
Bucfreak23 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bucs
Mid Major coaches who do well are faced with 2 choices: 1) entertain job offers from bigger programs because they will come knocking or 2) be content with current job like Byrd, Young. The lure of the bigger programs is hard to pass up and I think Forbes will leave especially if make NCAA next year and make some noise.
03-23-2019 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.