Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Media Deal
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
New Media Deal
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail...9/AAC.aspx

$7M per year runs through 2031-32. No GOR. Primarily ESPN but CBS to still get a small piece of the action. Be sure to buy your ESPN+, especially if you want to watch hoops.

03-19-2019 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: New Media Deal
That sucks.

03-19-2019 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Some details:

$6.94/team/year average
Doesn't include money we'll get from CBS for part of the basketball rights
Seems to include most Tier 2 and Tier 3 rights
Quite a few football and basketball games will be on ESPN+
Lots of other sports now on

03-19-2019 03:15 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
It's more than I expected the league would get, so I guess I am somewhat pleased. But on the other hand, that is a long contract so $7 million a few years in will again look like peanuts.

Of course it's not going to be "P5" money, but it's a big raise compared to the previous amount.

I don't think it includes bowl game/ NCAA tournament money either.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 03:22 PM by bearcatfan.)
03-19-2019 03:19 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2019 03:19 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  It's more than I expected the league would get, so I guess I am somewhat pleased.

Of course it's not going to be "P5" money, but it's a big raise compared to the previous amount.

For UC, UConn and USF it will be "status quo" in terms of revenue from 2013-2018 when you add in the Big East exit fee/NCAA credit money. It will be a big pay raise for the rest of the conference.

I am not too pleased about the ESPN+ piece, but I knew that was going to happen. This is the way of the future for ESPN and they needed to add content. The downside to this is the casual fan is not going to be easily able to watch UC football and basketball as much as they have been in the past.

03-19-2019 03:22 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(03-19-2019 03:22 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(03-19-2019 03:19 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  It's more than I expected the league would get, so I guess I am somewhat pleased.

For UC, UConn and USF it will be "status quo" in terms of revenue from 2013-2018 when you add in the Big East exit fee/NCAA credit money. It will be a big pay raise for the rest of the conference.

I am not too pleased about the ESPN+ piece, but I knew that was going to happen. This is the way of the future for ESPN and they needed to add content. The downside to this is the casual fan is not going to be easily able to watch UC football and basketball as much as they have been in the past.

I expect ESPN+ to basically be buy games and low tier football and basketball. Lots of Tulsa, ECU, and Tulane.

03-19-2019 03:47 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2019 03:47 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  

I expect ESPN+ to basically be buy games and low tier football and basketball. Lots of Tulsa, ECU, and Tulane.

Unfortunately it will be just the opposite, ESPN knows they will have limited subscribers in New Orleans and Tulsa. They will want to put the schools with the better brands and larger fan bases to attract subscribers

03-19-2019 03:50 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

(03-19-2019 03:50 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(03-19-2019 03:47 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  

Unfortunately it will be just the opposite, ESPN knows they will have limited subscribers in New Orleans and Tulsa. They will want to put the schools with the better brands and larger fan bases to attract subscribers

UC draws ratings, they aren’t sticking thier best games on ESPN+. If UC is on there it’s because it’s either a buy game or a game against the bottom tier of the league.

03-19-2019 03:55 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

In that article, this sentence seems ambiguous to me:

"Football, along with men's and women's basketball, will remain on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, but the majority of basketball games and a significant number of the football games will go to ESPN+."

To me, that's of more concern than the revenue number. Unless there are preset minimums, it seems exposure via cable could be severely curtailed. And that would play into the P5 conspiracy theories that the new deal is providing less access to cable-available programming to clear air time for more content from ESPN partners the ACC and SEC. But we may just not have enough information yet.

03-19-2019 03:56 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
So it's 3 to 6 times what G4 conferences are getting and 3-6 times less what P5 conference teams are getting. AAC is a tweener league. This deal makes sense in that regard.

03-19-2019 04:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
John Ourand

@Ourand_SBJ
The deal does not include a Grant of Rights. But ESPN did get a "conference composition clause" in the contract that protects the network financially if any of the AAC’s top brands exit.

I don't think it means much, but at least ESPN considered the possibility of conferences reorganizing important and plausible enough that they contracted for protection.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 04:30 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
03-19-2019 04:13 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Is this 100% iron clad? Where is Mike Aresco with the big announcement? The article mentions "according to sources." Quite frankly, I'm damn tired of "sources" and University Presidents saying we will be happy.
This will end up being the worst kept secret. SMDH.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 04:21 PM by UCGrad1992.)
03-19-2019 04:20 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

Not a bad deal or a great deal. It keeps UC ahead all of non-power schools including the Big East. Leaves the door wide open to leave when the Big XII loses more members.

03-19-2019 04:23 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2019 04:13 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  John Ourand

@Ourand_SBJ
The deal does not include a Grant of Rights. But ESPN did get a "conference composition clause" in the contract that protects the network financially if any of the AAC’s top brands exit.

...and UC is certainly a "top brand" so beyond the legal contingency it would suggest there may be more P5 conference "speed dating" in the near future.

(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 04:23 PM by OKIcat.)
03-19-2019 04:23 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think this a bad deal for UC but a great deal for the bottom feeders of the league.

Also CBS is still apart of this yet they were stupid enough to go on air Sunday and go on and on about the “Power 6” conferences totally disrespecting the AAC. Unreal.

03-19-2019 04:27 PM
stpnum4 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I'm curious to know what a GOR would have done to the per team payout? I like the AAC. The top half of the league is interesting in basketball and football.

But with these numbers, we'll leave the ACC at the first hint of a better offer.

03-19-2019 04:32 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-19-2019 04:27 PM)Marcus Wrote:  I think this a bad deal for UC but a great deal for the bottom feeders of the league.

Also CBS is still apart of this yet they were stupid enough to go on air Sunday and go on and on about the “Power 6” conferences totally disrespecting the AAC. Unreal.

While I don't feel it's a "bad" deal for UC the bottom feeders in the League certainly benefit from UC far more than we benefit from them. ECU, Tulane and Tulsa have to be absolutely floored with the deal.

UC won't be able to get its real value unless it finds a big boy conference... but it's not surprising this league is getting 4-5 times what the G4 schools are getting.

03-19-2019 04:33 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

Now we watch what oklahoma and texas do...

03-19-2019 04:39 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
This deal is akin to making $15 an hour and having the minimum wage raised to $15 an hour.

03-19-2019 04:42 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
A bad deal for the top dogs (UC UH UCF) a great deal for bottom feeders like (Tulane Tulsa ECU).

What does WSU BB only and Navy FB only get?

At least no GOR that constrains our exit.

03-19-2019 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.