Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Potential Hires: 3 Coach Profiles (WMSB)
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
With the search fully ON, and following today's email from AD Samantha Huge, we've selected and profiled 3 potential Head Coaching candidates for your W&M Tribe.

All have their own positives and negatives, and a couple have direct connections to W&M and the 'Burg.

Interesting read, and want to hear some thoughts -- LET'S GO TRIBE!!!

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2019/03/18/mens...andidates/
03-18-2019 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
RE: Potential Hires: 3 Coach Profiles (WMSB)
QB Club 1965 posted a reply early this morning to your prior article re: Tony being let go.

I highly recommend it to all.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 05:10 PM by nj alum.)
03-18-2019 05:08 PM
2017WithPep Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary and JMU
(03-18-2019 04:34 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  With the search fully ON, and following today's email from AD Samantha Huge, we've selected and profiled 3 potential Head Coaching candidates for your W&M Tribe.

All have their own positives and negatives, and a couple have direct connections to W&M and the 'Burg.

Interesting read, and want to hear some thoughts -- LET'S GO TRIBE!!!

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2019/03/18/mens...andidates/

Either Thompson III or Davis sound pretty good to me. As you all point out, it might be hard to compete for them, but I would certainly feel a little better about this whole situation if either of them end up coach.
03-18-2019 05:13 PM
ColonelEbirt Online
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(03-18-2019 05:08 PM)nj alum Wrote:  QB Club 1965 posted a reply early this morning to your prior article re: Tony being let go.

I highly recommend it to all.

That reply from QBClub1965 references “at least 2” of the 5 returning starters are considering transferring. Who is likely the other one in addition to Pierce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-18-2019 05:35 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

“QUARTERBACK CLUB 1965
March 18, 2019 at 1:26 am
Fantastic coverage of W&M Athletics on this site. Always fun to read your stories. A few thoughts on this latest news:
A good leader always manages to make tough decisions without alienating half the customer base, is a consensus builder, listens before reacting, and avoids unnecessary conflicts.

Had our AD waited one more year before the firing, we’d have either made the tournament or entered a rebuilding phase- and a much more practical / palatable opportunity to fire the coach.

Regardless of your opinion of our AD, or of firing the coach with the highest winning percentage in the conference over the last six years, the reality is:
1- half the fan base is outraged
2- at least 2/5 returning starters are considering transferring
3- we now owe $1,700,000 to a coach we no longer employ
4- our athletic department can’t fund capital improvements for certain teams already, i.e. swimming pool for swim team
5- regardless of the basketball program’s success going forward, fewer fans will care – we’ve sold out our core values of doing things the right way, buying out our most successful coach ever as we fire him
6- an NCAA tournament birth next year would be so tainted. The coach who built the program & assembled the players – gone; a new coach grasping for credit – winning in a down year for the CAA and looking to springboard into a school that pays real money; an AD taking credit for having the wisdom to “fix” the program -teaching a Dean Smith disciple lessons about coaching basketball, and players how to make free throws with a 7-point lead in the CAA Championship game 3 years ago, so thankful she is trying to tell us what winning is; and most importantly 12 players who don’t deserve and didn’t sign up to be caught up in this drama.

For those in support of this decision and timing, just consider the level of risk, the level of fallout, the drop in fundraising, the bad press, the loss of momentum, the all or nothing, win at all costs mindset, etc.,

There’s no way any rational, level-headed leader, makes this move, this year. Highest winning percentage in the CAA for the past six years, with five returning starters…at a school like W&M academically- and somehow the AD decides the timing was right to have all of us pay $1,700,000 for Shaver to go away now.

Why would anyone donate a penny to the school going forward? To endorse this type of leadership?”
03-18-2019 05:51 PM
Tribal Offline

I promise, I didn't write that.

100% on point. Kudos to the author.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
03-18-2019 06:26 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

This mess has happened at many other colleges through the years. Outrage yes...but as time passes and especially if the new coach wins consistently it fades.

The selection committee is very good, especially with the surprising and positive additions of Paul and Daniel. They also can help the present players get through this. Obviously, Dixon and Rowley are not upset and their willingness to work on the group selecting Tony's successor is a remarkably good sign.

I, for one, are not going to abandon W&M's teams and great young men & women on them because I'm peeved at this sudden change.

Let's take a big breath and see what happens.
03-19-2019 06:01 AM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

(03-19-2019 06:01 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  This mess has happened at many other colleges through the years. Outrage yes...but as time passes and especially if the new coach wins consistently it fades.

The selection committee is very good, especially with the surprising and positive additions of Paul and Daniel. They also can help the present players get through this. Obviously, Dixon and Rowley are not upset and their willingness to work on the group selecting Tony's successor is a remarkably good sign.

I, for one, are not going to abandon W&M's teams and great young men & women on them because I'm peeved at this sudden change.

We are not "many other colleges", or so we have been led to believe. Most of us here understand that. Do you? Do the people who made this decision?

Tony Shaver was not Ludwell Hall that needed to be renovated. Tony Shaver was not a computer system that needed to be upgraded. Tony Shaver was not a sign on a building that needed to be removed, nor a sign on a building that needed modernization. Tony Shaver was not an employee who had failed his contractual obligations; he had exceeded them.

Tony Shaver epitomized the excellence that most of us associate with William & Mary. He ran an excellent program. If he can be thrown by the wayside, with nary a peep from all of us, regardless of the identity of his successor, shame on us.

My outrage grows by the day, and does not diminish.

I am not going to abandon W&M; I will defend her. But I will never defend this decision. How about you?

When the President is gone, I will remain. When the AD is gone, I will remain. If pieces need to be picked up, I will do it.

I never considered myself to be one of "those" alumni, but now I am.

Enjoy your cocktail.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 07:40 AM by nj alum.)
03-19-2019 07:35 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-19-2019 07:35 AM)nj alum Wrote:  If he can be thrown by the wayside, with nary a peep from all of us, regardless of the identity of his successor, shame on us.

Too late for that.
03-19-2019 08:24 AM
Marshall Wythe Offline
Water Engineer

(03-19-2019 07:35 AM)nj alum Wrote:  
(03-19-2019 06:01 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  This mess has happened at many other colleges through the years. Outrage yes...but as time passes and especially if the new coach wins consistently it fades.

We are not "many other colleges", or so we have been led to believe. Most of us here understand that. Do you? Do the people who made this decision?

Tony Shaver was not Ludwell Hall that needed to be renovated. Tony Shaver was not a computer system that needed to be upgraded. Tony Shaver was not a sign on a building that needed to be removed, nor a sign on a building that needed modernization. Tony Shaver was not an employee who had failed his contractual obligations; he had exceeded them.

Tony Shaver epitomized the excellence that most of us associate with William & Mary. He ran an excellent program. If he can be thrown by the wayside, with nary a peep from all of us, regardless of the identity of his successor, shame on us.

My outrage grows by the day, and does not diminish.

I am not going to abandon W&M; I will defend her. But I will never defend this decision. How about you?

When the President is gone, I will remain. When the AD is gone, I will remain. If pieces need to be picked up, I will do it.

I never considered myself to be one of "those" alumni, but now I am.

Enjoy your cocktail.

Holy cow... It's funny how I went from aghast that they would fire Tony Shaver to - you know - some of these pro-Tony people are so nuts, it's making me think it might have been a good thing.

I liked Shaver a lot. I still think it was probably a bad idea to fire him. And, if we get a mediocre coach, and lots of players walk away, and the AD provides no explanation, then I will be storming the castle with the rest of you.

But, you are right, we are not "many other colleges." William & Mary is 326 years old. It is bigger than Tony Shaver. He ain't Thomas Jefferson (and it kills me that you all are making me say anything negative about him -- but you have put him on such a pedestal that I have to inject some reason here). And, when all of us posting on this message board are long gone, W&M will remain.

So, before I canonize Coach Shaver or demonize AD Huge, I will see what else happens.

And I don't know what kind of shot you were taking at Bubbadog when you told him to enjoy his cocktail. But you're making me wish I had one!
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 09:06 AM by Marshall Wythe.)
03-19-2019 09:05 AM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

Read his other postings this morning. He told us to have a Scotch. He knows what that cocktail reference meant.
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2019 09:12 AM by nj alum.)
03-19-2019 09:09 AM
Marshall Wythe Offline
Water Engineer

(03-19-2019 09:09 AM)nj alum Wrote:  Read his other postings this morning. He told us to have a Scotch. He knows what that cocktail reference meant.

Ah, fair enough. And on that point, you're both right. May be cracking open the Laphroaig a little early today.
03-19-2019 09:24 AM
A Quest Called Tribe Offline
2nd String

(03-19-2019 09:24 AM)Marshall Wythe Wrote:  Laphroaig

you have excellent taste

04-cheers
03-19-2019 09:27 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

Two comments to the Blog’s article so far.

Both say bring back Shaver.
03-19-2019 12:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.