UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Basketball Revival
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
UAB Basketball Revival
I thought at the beginning of this tournament that unless we won it, we needed a change. An NCAA tournament run or a coaching change are the only paths I see to turning our attendance around and re-capturing this community's attention. So we can wait until March of '20 to see if we Dance well or make a move now.

I'm proud of how the team played down the stretch but I also understand that we didn't do enough to change the trajectory of this program. We are at an absolute nadir in interest in Blazer hoops. Beating all the "good" teams in CUSA, finishing in Pod 1, and making the semifinals are all laudable but ultimately irrelevant outside our small group of remaining die-hards. If less than 3,000 folks at the last home game didn't drive that home, I'm not sure what will.

I do not think Rob Ehsan is a bad guy or a bad coach. He's just not what UAB needs right now. We need a revival on par with what's happened with football. Realignment is fast approaching, we have to throw everything we can into preparing for the next conference opportunity. In my opinion, making a bigger commitment to men's basketball has to happen as part of that process. We need to renovate Bartow and we need a practice facility. Again, just as with football, I don't see those things happening until we see a change of leadership.

Unless it's financially impossible, better to go ahead and start the resurrection project. The train out of CUSA is approaching and we better be ready or we are here for good.
03-16-2019 06:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
RE: UAB Basketball Revival
Doom and gloom, agony on me, deep dark depression persistent misery if it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all...
03-16-2019 08:42 AM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

Donators
basketball had nothing to do realignment ...ask kansas when the now b-12 was ready to realignment and kick them out .
When we get a stadium and we are the new ucf
Plus the play off system allow 8 teams which included the an outsider like ucf which will be UAB .......................,,,,,the big 12 will grad us and we will get great basketball because of football
03-16-2019 09:08 AM
Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
(03-16-2019 09:08 AM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  basketball had nothing to do realignment ...ask kansas when the now b-12 was ready to realignment and kick them out .
Plus the play off system allow 8 teams which included the an outsider like ucf which will be UAB .......................,,,,,the big 12 will grad us and we will get great basketball because of football

Winner!!!
03-16-2019 09:46 AM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
You know you support a research school when fans use the term "nadir" to describe waning basketball support 04-rock
03-16-2019 09:55 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(03-16-2019 09:46 AM)Rebounder2u Wrote:  
(03-16-2019 09:08 AM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  basketball had nothing to do realignment ...ask kansas when the now b-12 was ready to realignment and kick them out .

Winner!!!

It matter to an extent like a G5 level, P5 not so much.
03-16-2019 10:39 AM
Advertisement

BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(03-16-2019 10:39 AM)Big Dee Wrote:  
(03-16-2019 09:46 AM)Rebounder2u Wrote:  

Winner!!!

It matter to an extent like a G5 level, P5 not so much.

This ain't 2013. The AAC isn't going to take a new member that isn't trending up in both revenue sports. They already have enough dead weight. Even if revenues from their new media deal are only half of what they expect, that will be several times more than CUSA members get. They aren't going to give a share of that away without the prospect bringing a lot to the table. Crowds of 2,800 aren't going to impress anybody. Neither will 20 win seasons in a weak ass league.

Outside of the approximately 3,000 fans that went to games this season, who exactly will be excited about UAB basketball in the coming year? The answer is not more sermons and exhortations for fans to support the program. That's just preaching to the choir. That's never worked and never will. We need big change, the sooner the better.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019 01:25 PM by BlazerGreen.)
03-16-2019 12:59 PM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
i said b-12 dube ....please read
BHM is the middle of SEC territory ,,,,,a dream for the B-12
the B-12 got 10 team now,,,,they will be a 12 teams someday
when UAB play in the play off system and collect millions
the big 12 will open his door
ACC school think that are too for the school in the deep south ....(florida is not in the deep south )
ACC I dont care ,,,because UAB school of medecine is far superior them UNC and DUKE
UAB dont give diploma to the student because you play football or basketball and your parent are rich

Big conference like basketball one week a year ,,,the rest is football
03-16-2019 03:32 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

Again, this attitude of blaming the fans for not showing up...that's crap. Fans will show up when theres a good product on the court for them to show up and support. It's the difference between drawing 3k fans like we did this year and 5k like we did when we were consistently winning games.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019 03:49 PM by BlazintheATL.)
03-16-2019 03:49 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(03-16-2019 03:32 PM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  i said b-12 dube ....please read
ACC school think that are too for the school in the deep south ....(florida is not in the deep south )
ACC I dont care ,,,because UAB school of medecine is far superior them UNC and DUKE
UAB dont give diploma to the student because you play football or basketball and your parent are rich

Sorry but that's a fantasy short-term. Possible long-term but we have many miles to go in development. The AAC is a realistic goal in the 2021-23 window.

You want to be additive to a new league in the ways that really matter. Men's basketball is big $ and it will matter when the window opens.
03-16-2019 03:58 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(03-16-2019 03:58 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(03-16-2019 03:32 PM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  i said b-12 dube ....please read

Sorry but that's a fantasy short-term. Possible long-term but we have many miles to go in development. The AAC is a realistic goal in the 2021-23 window.

You want to be additive to a new league in the ways that really matter. Men's basketball is big $ and it will matter when the window opens.

It is true that UAB is in the middle of SEC country, but so are several of our competitors who may offer better funding bases and more valuable recruiting areas. Memphis, UCF, USF, GA State come to mind. If by 2023 UAB can raise its financial support profile to over $50 million annually, it will present a much stronger case for inclusion.
03-16-2019 07:32 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Sometimes in revivals you think that they are meant for someone else & you find out that you were the most in need of one.
03-16-2019 09:36 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(03-16-2019 09:36 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Sometimes in revivals you think that they are meant for someone else & you find out that you were the most in need of one.

LOL
I guess tell that to the 80+% of the UAB fanbase that don't attend basketball games. If they would just wake up to the joy of watching mediocre basketball, all would be well. Basketball attendance has finally dwindled to just the die hards. They aren't that hard to please so they really aren't who needs to be convinced. Making Pod 1 and the CUSA semis won't convince anybody that wasn't already on board.

The majority of the fan base will support men's basketball when they see something worth supporting. Right now they don't, so they won't.

Or maybe they are all just dumbasses. Then all we can do is wait until the Real Fans have more kids.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019 06:12 AM by BlazerGreen.)
03-17-2019 06:10 AM
notnow Offline
1st String

Game days seem to be poorly planned.
I enjoyed the Budlight dare devils and fly dogs and jump rope teams and also enjoy the band and golden girls and cheerleaders and other spirit groups. I know some of these acts cost money, however, we need to bump it up.
Jax St, Samford, UNA, ASU, A&M, Memphis, Troy, might bring some fans in.
Focus on top half rated teams from like conferences for H/A games over multiple seasons.
Would love to smell popcorn/kettle corn, BBQ/smoked wings, Cookies when entering Bartow.
Play an aggressive style of play.
03-17-2019 12:52 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(03-17-2019 12:52 PM)notnow Wrote:  Game days seem to be poorly planned.
I enjoyed the Budlight dare devils and fly dogs and jump rope teams and also enjoy the band and golden girls and cheerleaders and other spirit groups. I know some of these acts cost money, however, we need to bump it up.
Focus on top half rated teams from like conferences for H/A games over multiple seasons.
Would love to smell popcorn/kettle corn, BBQ/smoked wings, Cookies when entering Bartow.

Here's what will turn attendance around:

1. Play and beat good teams OOC, home and away. That means teams that the general populace recognize.

2. Get to the NCAA or NIT and win some games.

That's it. Everything else is window dressing.
03-17-2019 01:09 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

(03-17-2019 01:09 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

1. Play and beat good teams OOC, home and away. That means teams that the general populace recognize.

+1 Amen
03-17-2019 01:11 PM
Advertisement

randy22263 Offline
1st String

I Root For: uab
(03-17-2019 01:09 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  

BlazerGreen has been bringing it. Good job brother.
Let me add one thing to that. We have to have a period of sustained success. Two or three years in a row. We've been mediocre too long. If we would have won the conference tournament and went on to the big dance our crowds next year wouldnt be any larger especially considering another typical schedule. Some folks on here argue that you have to give a coach time to turn things around yet expect fans to show up now. Don't work that way....anywhere. If you want big time numbers of fans showing up you need to start playing and winning big time games. Not saying we should fire the coach(not happening anyway) but next year needs to be significantly better. No more damn excuses.
03-17-2019 03:29 PM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
one league bid , make any coaching job very difficult
03-17-2019 05:48 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
I've been watching the thread and there have been a lot of good points. I think the general consensus is that status quo isn't going to cut it. It's clear the current trajectory not only isn't sustainable financially but actually is a drag on the remainder of the department when it comes to the future.

I'm not specifically advocating for a coaching change. I think Rob got as much out of this group as anyone could. They play hard every possession. There was significant attrition during the year. BUT Mark has to think longer term than just this coming year. If he thinks Rob can get the job 5 years from now, great. He's privy to information most of us aren't. My feeling, though, is that he may not be the long term answer and that's what Mark has to concern himself with. We need to raise another 4Mil for a first class practice facility and given our current state, that's a tough sell.

Yes, there would be a buyout. But you would have to weigh that against the decreased revenue from poor attendance plus the pitiful conference share we get. If your goal is to move up with potential for increased attendance, TV revenue and NCAA shares then you have to make moves to make it happen.
03-17-2019 06:09 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(03-17-2019 06:09 PM)biglizard Wrote:  I've been watching the thread and there have been a lot of good points. I think the general consensus is that status quo isn't going to cut it. It's clear the current trajectory not only isn't sustainable financially but actually is a drag on the remainder of the department when it comes to the future.

I'm not specifically advocating for a coaching change. I think Rob got as much out of this group as anyone could. They play hard every possession. There was significant attrition during the year. BUT Mark has to think longer term than just this coming year. If he thinks Rob can get the job 5 years from now, great. He's privy to information most of us aren't. My feeling, though, is that he may not be the long term answer and that's what Mark has to concern himself with. We need to raise another 4Mil for a first class practice facility and given our current state, that's a tough sell.

Yes, there would be a buyout. But you would have to weigh that against the decreased revenue from poor attendance plus the pitiful conference share we get. If your goal is to move up with potential for increased attendance, TV revenue and NCAA shares then you have to make moves to make it happen.

Great points. Thanks. I like Rob but I love this program. Its long term success has to be put first. At a different CUSA school, at a different time, I think suggesting a coaching change might be premature. But UAB is not just any CUSA school. We belong in a different league and our goals are starting to align with that truth. The opportunity to make the move we need is approaching and we may not get another chance for many years. We need to throw everything we can at making it happen and our basketball program is a glaring weakness.

Who is willing to bet the future of our athletic program on Rob Ehsan?
Being OK with 3,000 or less at Bartow Arena sends the signal that UAB is not serious about moving up in the college athletics world.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2019 07:04 PM by BlazerGreen.)
03-17-2019 06:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.