Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DEmocrats talk about religion as divider
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...ts/585001/
Interesting article on the move to secularism by the Democrats.

"Were a Democrat from the Clinton, Bush, or Obama eras to watch the presidential-announcement video that Beto O’Rourke released on Thursday, they would likely be struck by how it ended. Or, more specifically, by how it didn’t end. O’Rourke did not close with any mention of God.

Until recently, farewells that invoke God were standard fare for Democratic and Republican candidates alike....

It’s not hard to understand why. For starters, the percentage of white Democrats who express no religious affiliation has skyrocketed. According to unpublished data tabulated for me last year by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI), 8 percent of white Democrats expressed no religious affiliation in 1990. By 2016, the figure was 33 percent. In 1990, white self-described liberals were 39 points more likely to describe themselves as Protestant than as religiously unaffiliated. By 2016, religiously unaffiliated beat Protestant by nine points....

While many white Democrats want politicians to speak about religion less, black Democrats overwhelmingly want them to speak about it more. When asked in 2016 whether political leaders were talking about “their faith and prayer” too much or too little, black Protestants said “too little” by a larger margin than even Republicans. While only 41 percent of Democrats said it was very or somewhat important that a president shared their religious views, among black Protestants, the figure was 72 percent, again even higher than among Republicans.

All of which may help Kamala Harris and Cory Booker. It’s no coincidence that Harris ended her campaign-announcement speech with the words “God bless you, and God bless the United States of America,” and that Booker ended his speech at the 2016 Democratic convention by declaring, “God bless America.”..."
03-15-2019 10:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
RE: DEmocrats talk about religion as divider
Its sad when people are more concerned about the politics of religion that the Gospel itself.

It seems everyone on all side values politics over religion. Even those who identify as Christian.
03-15-2019 11:30 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-15-2019 11:30 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Its sad when people are more concerned about the politics of religion that the Gospel itself.

It seems everyone on all side values politics over religion. Even those who identify as Christian.

I would just like to witness 1 candidate who didn't have to say God Bless America in order to bathe in religiosity, because we could simply know their faith by their actions and their stances. The best Christians I've ever known never had to draw attention to their faith, they simply lived it.
03-15-2019 11:38 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(03-15-2019 11:38 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-15-2019 11:30 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  Its sad when people are more concerned about the politics of religion that the Gospel itself.

I would just like to witness 1 candidate who didn't have to say God Bless America in order to bathe in religiosity, because we could simply know their faith by their actions and their stances. The best Christians I've ever known never had to draw attention to their faith, they simply lived it.

Agree with both of you. What is funny is when atheistic liberals start quoting scripture when they have no clue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-15-2019 11:40 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

by subliminal design, they do walk hand-n-hand....

think about if for a just a sec...

if you eliminate religion from politics, then faith still exists in whatever capacity one chooses

if you design around religion, you eventually get raghead mentality....

in the end it's nothing more than cultural imbalance.....that's always going to exist....

it then becomes a simple matter if can one defend their position in existence, or choose a more violent path...

as an atheist, I prefer the more peaceful solution....however, I'll rip out the jugular if it becomes necessary...

we're a spoiled nation relative to the rest of the world....be glad the USD is the major spoils in commerce....if it wasn't, the bible wouldn't mean squat like the treasure chest that's empty in front of the pulpit...
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019 12:14 PM by stinkfist.)
03-16-2019 12:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-16-2019 12:13 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

if you eliminate religion from politics, then faith still exists in whatever capacity one chooses

in the end it's nothing more than cultural imbalance.....that's always going to exist....

it then becomes a simple matter if can one defend their position in existence, or choose a more violent path...

as an atheist, I prefer the more peaceful solution....however, I'll rip out the jugular if it becomes necessary...

we're a spoiled nation relative to the rest of the world....be glad the USD is the major spoils in commerce....if it wasn't, the bible wouldn't mean squat like the treasure chest that's empty in front of the pulpit...

Hey, the Bible is always relevant. Organized religion not so much. The Bible is even relevant for atheists simply as one of the two ancient pillars of law. What's interesting is that in times of abject poverty and oppression faith actually becomes more important. Perhaps that's because the persecuted have to make doubly sure of who they can trust and close small faith groups have always flourished under those conditions.

It's when we are fat and happy that we waive our churchiness like a perfume to cover the stench of our self aggrandizement.

So I think you are way off base from the reality here Stink.

In short when everything is on the line the survivors are separated from the quitters, and people's faith, whether in a god, the God, or each other comes to the forefront. Unfortunately so do those who will turn in anyone to survive.

But hey, at least in a crisis you find out where your neighbors and coworkers and family really stand!
03-16-2019 03:42 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(03-16-2019 03:42 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Hey, the Bible is always relevant. Organized religion not so much. The Bible is even relevant for atheists simply as one of the two ancient pillars of law. What's interesting is that in times of abject poverty and oppression faith actually becomes more important. Perhaps that's because the persecuted have to make doubly sure of who they can trust and close small faith groups have always flourished under those conditions.

It's when we are fat and happy that we waive our churchiness like a perfume to cover the stench of our self aggrandizement.

In short when everything is on the line the survivors are separated from the quitters, and people's faith, whether in a god, the God, or each other comes to the forefront. Unfortunately so do those who will turn in anyone to survive.

But hey, at least in a crisis you find out where your neighbors and coworkers and family really stand!

I couldn't agree more....you knew the overall point...I'm certain Eric will as well...

again, there's a reason I made certain my daughter was reared in the "faith"...

as a solid Christian, she prays for me too...
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019 04:04 PM by stinkfist.)
03-16-2019 04:02 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Government is God to them.
03-16-2019 05:25 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

(03-16-2019 03:42 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Concur entirely.

03-16-2019 05:54 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom

I don’t know about “everyone”,

The politicians? Clearly, yes. A wonder the two can’t coexist...
03-16-2019 05:59 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

The problem with being an atheist is the Bible is REAL, and we know its real because its proven itself to be real by the OT prophets in a way no one can deny and no other religion or book on earth can even attempt to do.

You can say you are an atheist, but its no different that saying I don't believe the sun rises in the east or sets in the west. You are just deceiving yourself in a very foolish manner.

Its not a matter of opinion, its a matter of what we KNOW. But of course you can't see or know a thing you flat refuse to look at or hear.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019 11:52 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-16-2019 09:21 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(03-16-2019 09:21 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

The problem with being an atheist is the Bible is REAL, and we know its real because its proven itself to be real by the OT prophets in a way no one can deny and no other religion or book on earth can even attempt to do.

You can say you are an atheist, but its no different that saying I don't believe the sun rises in the east or set in the west. You are just deceiving yourself in a very foolish manner.

Its not a matter of opinion, its a matter of what we KNOW. But of course you can't see or know a thing you flat refuse to look at or hear.

That happens when people encounter phony Christianity and are severely burned by it before they ever meet God in a group of believers who know & love God, and follow the Bible.

I have encountered it more times than I can recount. Add abuse to that initial experience and the trust is just seldom there again.
03-16-2019 09:56 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
If we bring over more Muslims, we can unite!
03-16-2019 10:01 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-16-2019 09:56 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

You can say you are an atheist, but its no different that saying I don't believe the sun rises in the east or set in the west. You are just deceiving yourself in a very foolish manner.

That happens when people encounter phony Christianity and are severely burned by it before they ever meet God in a group of believers who know & love God, and follow the Bible.

I have encountered it more times than I can recount. Add abuse to that initial experience and the trust is just seldom there again.

unless of a violent nature, you guys and others should know by now I respect the faith of any individual....that's the gift of having choice....

I made mine at a very early age....it doesn't change or influence how I respond in kind...

whether one is a religious soul or not, either side can become combatants in a variety of ways (violently, economically, controlling, etc... )

I choose to eliminate it from my equations as "good" is always the goal driving to 1 or 0....

I firmly believe most aspects of religious faith as it exists today is a positive....it's why I ensured my daughter was reared in the church (methodist doctrine)

that's the faith in MY choice(s)....
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019 11:24 PM by stinkfist.)
03-16-2019 11:20 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

That happens when you are putting your trust in man instead of God. If you read the bible you find some of the first ever phony believers and religious leaders. Christ dealt with phony religious leaders throughout His ministry and life. A very large portion of the NT is about dealing with phony religious leaders.

If you require a perfect group of men for you to find faith, you will never find them. We are ALL flawed, otherwise we would never need Christ to forgive our sin. Both past, present and future. Even if you come to true saving faith, you are still going to be a flawed man struggling against the flesh and the world. What changes is you grow to hate your sin and see it clearly, and that changes you day by day. Being a Christian is a life long process of growth, but you have salvation the moment you believe in Christ with all your heart and ask forgiveness.

No matter how far you try to run stink, The Bible is still real and you will still stand before Him one day. You can't escape it, and you can't wish it away. Pretending its not real will only make things worse when the day comes.

God Bless
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2019 11:57 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-16-2019 11:36 PM
stinkfist Offline

(03-16-2019 11:36 PM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

That happens when you are putting your trust in man instead of God. If you read the bible you find some of the first ever phony believers and religious leaders. Christ dealt with phony religious leaders throughout His ministry and life. A very large portion of the NT is about dealing with phony religious leaders.

If you require a perfect group of men for you to find faith, you will never find them. We are ALL flawed, otherwise we would never need Christ to forgive our sin. Both past, present and future. Even if you come to true saving faith, you are still going to be a flawed man struggling against the flesh and the world.

No matter how far you try to run stink, The Bible is still real and you will still stand before Him one day. You can't escape it, and you can't wish it away. Pretending its not real will only make things worse when the day comes.

I've never argued the bible isn't real, nor was jesus....

I'm also unwilling to debate such....I'm not that atheist...it's a waste of time

however, I will use it at times when my 'jester/provocative personality' hits the floor.....and there's never malice or attempt to change opinion when I do it...
03-16-2019 11:52 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

If you require a perfect group of men for you to find faith, you will never find them. We are ALL flawed, otherwise we would never need Christ to forgive our sin. Both past, present and future. Even if you come to true saving faith, you are still going to be a flawed man struggling against the flesh and the world. What changes is you grow to hate your sin and see it clearly, and that changes you day by day. Being a Christian is a life long process of growth, but you have salvation the moment you believe in Christ with all your heart and ask forgiveness.

God Bless

I never did put my faith in man Eric. But men and women are all the lost see until they find Christ in the scriptures. If they don't even see a resemblance of him in those who claim to follow him it is a powerful stumbling block. No group of Christians should ever claim to be perfect and those who do are phony to be begin with. What we claim is that we were saved in spite of our imperfections and sin. Our job is to point the way, not claim to be it. But if we aren't believable then whose going to bother to look the way we point?
03-17-2019 12:11 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(03-17-2019 12:11 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(03-16-2019 12:13 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  by subliminal design, they do walk hand-n-hand....

God Bless

I never did put my faith in man Eric. But men and women are all the lost see until they find Christ in the scriptures. If they don't even see a resemblance of him in those who claim to follow him it is a powerful stumbling block. No group of Christians should ever claim to be perfect and those who do are phony to be begin with. What we claim is that we were saved in spite of our imperfections and sin. Our job is to point the way, not claim to be it. But if we aren't believable then whose going to bother to look the way we point?

Amen

Most people get idea that Christians are perfect and sinless from TV and movies, it certainly doesn't come from Scripture.

Its vital our faith is centered around Christ and the Bible, and that being the foundation instead of "the chruch" being the foundation, or our favorite preacher being the foundation. People are all flawed and will always let us down if that is our foundation. The foundation and basis has to be centered on Christ and the Bible.

Its up to each of us to live as Christians and set an example, but its also important for people to understand we are also flawed sinners as well.
03-17-2019 02:12 AM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I have seen people destroyed by believer’s behaving poorly. Regrettably too many cannot look at Jesus, but look at flawed believers in Jesus.

03-17-2019 11:01 AM
umbluegray Online
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(03-16-2019 05:25 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Government is God to them.

This is ominously true.

And they are the High Priests.
03-17-2019 11:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.