Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How UB's Oats Did It
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
How UB's Oats Did It
I found this article on the main MAC board. Good article throughout. I note the paragraph at the end of this post about h.s. players moving to Romulus.

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-nate-oats-w...01441.html

I have mixed feelings about it for a couple of conflicting reasons:

1). He built a 'collegiate-like' program at Romulus H.S. (read the end of the article for details including the migration of players from Detroit --> Romulus).

2). Relating to #1, he prepared himself to run a very good D-I hoops program, although sometimes got to wonder if a h.s. program is more like a JUCO program or even say a collegiate program.

Comments?

"By the time Oats left for Buffalo, he'd raised enough money for the team to have six shooting guns for skill development – the kind found in college and NBA practice facilities. Romulus had such a robust army of managers that it took Buffalo years to catch up to that level. The program held such cache in the Detroit area that families were moving into the district to play there. "

This might explain how he had the reputation for 'recruiting' players in h.s.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019 03:40 PM by emu steve.)
03-14-2019 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: How UB's Oats Did It
High school recruiting used to be a parochial school only issue in Michigan but with the advent of "schools of choice", it is now going on all over. Emoni Bates attended Ann Arbor elementary and middle school but ended up at Lincoln for high school. Romulus is hardly a wealthy district and I commend Oats for building the program through effort that many high school coaches would not.

The only problem I see here is this NCAA type model spreading throughout high schools. A wealthy school district could be persuaded to spend big money on coaching salaries and facilities and spread the "arms race" that will rob academic programs that have already lost a ton of funding. Unlike NCAA institutions these high schools will not experience many of the benefits of a successful athletic program that colleges do like increased enrollment and alumni donations.
03-14-2019 05:04 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2019 05:04 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  High school recruiting used to be a parochial school only issue in Michigan but with the advent of "schools of choice", it is now going on all over. Emoni Bates attended Ann Arbor elementary and middle school but ended up at Lincoln for high school. Romulus is hardly a wealthy district and I commend Oats for building the program through effort that many high school coaches would not.

The only problem I see here is this NCAA type model spreading throughout high schools. A wealthy school district could be persuaded to spend big money on coaching salaries and facilities and spread the "arms race" that will rob academic programs that have already lost a ton of funding. Unlike NCAA institutions these high schools will not experience many of the benefits of a successful athletic program that colleges do like increased enrollment and alumni donations.
Bates went to Lincoln because his dad is close friends with the Lincoln coach. It's worked out well for both the player and the school. The Lincoln community has really rallied around the team and the kid seems to be enjoying himself.

Fortunately mhsaa has changed the rules and a kid cannot transfer without sitting in entire school year unless his/her parents physically move into that district. That is my understanding of it at least
03-14-2019 05:59 PM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-14-2019 05:59 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
(03-14-2019 05:04 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  High school recruiting used to be a parochial school only issue in Michigan but with the advent of "schools of choice", it is now going on all over. Emoni Bates attended Ann Arbor elementary and middle school but ended up at Lincoln for high school. Romulus is hardly a wealthy district and I commend Oats for building the program through effort that many high school coaches would not.

Bates went to Lincoln because his dad is close friends with the Lincoln coach. It's worked out well for both the player and the school. The Lincoln community has really rallied around the team and the kid seems to be enjoying himself.

Fortunately mhsaa has changed the rules and a kid cannot transfer without sitting in entire school year unless his/her parents physically move into that district. That is my understanding of it at least

Nickle once again you are correct, the rules have changed recently. As a freshman, however, Bates is not subject to it like an upperclassmen would have been. I also have no problem with him leaving my school district to attend Lincoln, it has been nothing but good news for someplace that really needs it. Unfortunately this rule actually might deepen the effects of high school recruiting. I can see Saline HS coaching staff attending all the Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor junior high football games searching for future student-athletes.
03-14-2019 07:09 PM
JonesGoddard Offline
2nd String

I think the transfer rule is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with education and everything to with athletics. From my perspective, you should limit a kids ability to want to play with another team or school and force him to sit out of games. It just as hypocritical as the NCAA and its amateurism claim. If the kid wants to transfer go ahead! It's up to the school to want to surround them with support and good coaching if they want to retain them. It's old white athletic directors in high schools thinking that high school athletics is life or death. No. I'm sorry. There should be a free market when it comes to this.
03-15-2019 11:02 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I'm watching the MAC championship game and one thing is abundantly clear. Buffalo is so FREAKING ATHLETIC! They truly are not that good from a X and O standpoint but they play swarming defense and run you out of the gym if you let them.

JT4 would be a bit player for them, he just is not fast enough. The only guys from our current team that could play athletically with Buffalo are Gross and Parris. Buffalo can be beaten by inferior teams but if I am a Power 5 team not ready to run and jump, I don't want the Bulls in the NCAA tourney. Ask Arizona.
03-16-2019 07:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.