Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EMU baseball
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
EMU baseball
Team has a poor record and a mediocre record is expected for Midwest teams which can't practice outdoors in February (sometimes you can't even walk because of snow and ice).

I usually expect the team to win say 1 / 3 of their Southern swing games given the tremendous odds they face.

That said, the MAC schedule starts with a bunch of road games including starting in balmy DeKalb, IL. 03-hissyfit

Hope for the best, but the first half of the season is like running up hill. Tough going. The team finishes with six games at home so maybe they'll be in gear for the MAC tourney.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019 08:50 AM by emu steve.)
03-14-2019 08:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: EMU baseball
Yes, not a great start thus far. However we did beat Notre Dame once, and on Tuesday we smoked Dayton on the road 10-2. Hopefully things will improve once they get back to Michigan/the midwest.
03-14-2019 08:50 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I would love to see the EMU baseball program get back to MAC prominence. EMU baseball has so much tradition with the excellence achieved through the Oestrike and Coryell years. It is a shame we cannot seem to get over the proverbial hump. EMU baseball still owns the greatest achievement in university athletics history: back to back College World Series appearances. Phenomenal.
03-14-2019 10:10 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-14-2019 10:10 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  I would love to see the EMU baseball program get back to MAC prominence. EMU baseball has so much tradition with the excellence achieved through the Oestrike and Coryell years. It is a shame we cannot seem to get over the proverbial hump. EMU baseball still owns the greatest achievement in university athletics history: back to back College World Series appearances. Phenomenal.

EMU baseball has only won MAC championships twice in the last 35+ years, both in the 2000 decade.

Kind of strange but our best sport in the 21st century is WBB.

After EMU made the change from Paulette Stein to Suzy we went on quite a run. We had a run in which I believe we had winning records 11 of 12 years. That would be from say 2001 to 2012.
03-14-2019 10:28 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(03-14-2019 10:28 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-14-2019 10:10 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  I would love to see the EMU baseball program get back to MAC prominence. EMU baseball has so much tradition with the excellence achieved through the Oestrike and Coryell years. It is a shame we cannot seem to get over the proverbial hump. EMU baseball still owns the greatest achievement in university athletics history: back to back College World Series appearances. Phenomenal.

EMU baseball has only won MAC championships twice in the last 35+ years, both in the 2000 decade.

After EMU made the change from Paulette Stein to Suzy we went on quite a run. We had a run in which I believe we had winning records 11 of 12 years. That would be from say 2001 to 2012.

EMU has a proud baseball tradition and oerstrike is a neat little stadium - real gem. not sure how they generate more interest. the mid-west doesn't care for college baseball
03-14-2019 11:03 AM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2019 08:50 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Yes, not a great start thus far. However we did beat Notre Dame once, and on Tuesday we smoked Dayton on the road 10-2. Hopefully things will improve once they get back to Michigan/the midwest.
we once 2006 I think went 0 for 30 pre mac season and won the mac. The last time we went to the NCAA was when bass took over for a year.
03-14-2019 11:21 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-14-2019 11:03 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

EMU has a proud baseball tradition and oerstrike is a neat little stadium - real gem. not sure how they generate more interest. the mid-west doesn't care for college baseball

Agree. The Midwest needs to figure out how to promote spring sports (baseball, softball, etc.)

Quite frankly, I have no idea how to mitigate the effects of cold springs.

Hoops can go year around. T&F has winter and spring seasons (indoors and outdoors).

Baseball????

And the Midwest needs to do spring football like the South.
03-14-2019 11:28 AM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

Spring football in high school or college? MSU has had 70k at their spring game before.
03-14-2019 12:19 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2019 11:03 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

Fun fact: the winningest pitcher in EMU history is my neighborhood friend and Little League teammate from Northville, MI, Doug Martin.
03-14-2019 12:44 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-14-2019 12:19 PM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Spring football in high school or college? MSU has had 70k at their spring game before.

High school.

About the only high school sports where we compete or exceed other parts of the country are hockey and also basketball is 12 months across the country, I think.

Eagle Tough will tell us that the Midwest doesn't do spring h.s. football like the south. I have no idea why not...
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2019 01:31 PM by emu steve.)
03-14-2019 01:29 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Bob (who I usually ignore) and I are showing our age here Steve. In the last 52 years there has been only ONE snowplow state university to finish in the top 2 of the NCAA tournament and that team was EMU in 1976. It was indeed the greatest achievement in the history of EMU athletics.

Unfortunately those days are over. Expanded travel options in the past 50 years allow a player like Ferndale native Bob Welch today to easily attend a southern school where he is allowed to hone his skills outside year round. Our basketball center in 1976 was Brian Schubert who came all the way from Wyandotte while JT4 on this year's team arrived from Louisiana. Be it Big Ten or MAC, the weather will not allow any team from these leagues to make the splash EMU did ni 1976.
03-14-2019 05:31 PM
Advertisement

emu_eagles Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EMU Eagles

Wouldn't EMUs top sports in the 21st century be cross country, swimming or track?
03-14-2019 07:28 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

The losing continues although the last three were vs. a sun belt team from a major conference, but still...
03-18-2019 06:22 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2019 07:28 PM)emu_eagles Wrote:  

Wouldn't EMUs top sports in the 21st century be cross country, swimming or track?
But top sports ACCOMPLISHMENT is back to back college World Series appearances. Second is Sweet 16 NCAA basketball tournament.
03-18-2019 07:41 AM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

I Root For: emu
I made it to the home opener, an easy win against Northwestern Ohio.

The playing surface looked in good shape, but the stadium could use some work.
- The OF fence needs paint.
- The bricks used for fundraising that are laid in the walkway in the stands behind HP are in awful shape. They're stained and unlevel. Some are chipped or broken.
- The area behind the stands looks like a construction site.
- The bathrooms are blocked by portable toilets.

Poor condition and opening day.
03-28-2019 12:50 AM
Mike1989 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-28-2019 12:50 AM)ljmhurons Wrote:  I made it to the home opener, an easy win against Northwestern Ohio.

- The bricks used for fundraising that are laid in the walkway in the stands behind HP are in awful shape. They're stained and unlevel. Some are chipped or broken.

03-weeping03-weeping03-weeping Mr. Doom and Gloom is not happy unless he points out all the negatives. GOYA and go fix the stadium to your level of greatest. Your pathetic.
03-28-2019 09:14 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(03-28-2019 12:50 AM)ljmhurons Wrote:  I made it to the home opener, an easy win against Northwestern Ohio.

gawd if i didnt know better id guess their was an enormous construction project next door
03-28-2019 09:26 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I was there last June (while FB visits were going on and current players were getting their 'head shots' for the media guide) and I noticed the poor condition of the donor bricks.

Obviously, no construction had begun on the CBP so it didn't look like a construction site (because it wasn't yet a construction site).
03-28-2019 09:28 AM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

I Root For: emu
(03-28-2019 09:14 AM)Mike1989 Wrote:  

03-weeping03-weeping03-weeping Mr. Doom and Gloom is not happy unless he points out all the negatives. GOYA and go fix the stadium to your level of greatest. Your pathetic.

The word is you're.

The condition of the OF fence and donor bricks is entirely unrelated to the construction.

Good planning and project management, things unknown to the university, would have minimized the impact on Oestrike. They've known for a very long time that we'd be playing baseball this time of year.

Instead we have outhouses blocking the bathrooms.
03-28-2019 11:58 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(03-28-2019 09:14 AM)Mike1989 Wrote:  

Mike stop it, you are better than this. Please ignore the incredibly unintelligent and vindictively negative posts from our resident troll. Wrestling is GREAT, wrestling is WONDERFUL, but wrestling is gone. Move on.
03-28-2019 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.