Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tony Gone..Will Players Come Back?
Bookmark and Share
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
We've discussed Tony's firing and speculating on his successor...but little or no thought on this whole mess on the players.

One thing is dead certain: we cannot linger in selecting a new coach; the longer it goes on the the greater chance players may leave and our one signee (Cameron Brown) goes elsewhere. The new coach is the one guy who can keep everyone together.

Also in this jumble is the State of Virginia's hiring rules: the job must be officially posted, applications solicited over a certain length of time (I have no idea of how long), etc. This means a certain definite delay.

Here's my take on the individual players...it is, of course, is all speculative:

Knight--Nathan will probably remain here for an historic final season.
He will not transfer because he'd have to sit out a year, delaying a possible first round NBA draft and millions of dollars.

Milon--I don't know if he's graduating this spring or not. If he is would he leave with Tony gone? If he's graduating he could play immediately for another program. Also, I believe he's in the business school
and needs another year for his MBA. That would probably lean him to staying.

Pierce--I don't see him leaving. He could pull a Malinowski and sit out a year at a Power 5 program, but I don't anticipate that. He is a definite candidate for some good dollars playing in Europe--why delay that?

Loewe--Possible he might leave for a school closer to home especially with the uncertainty of a new coach and his playing time under the new coach.

Van Vliet--Will stay for sure is my guess. He's already a graduate school transfer and will be in his second year of our MBA school. He will surely stay with that riding.

Audige--I have no idea but we can't afford to lose him and his great future on the court. This is why a new coach has to get here quickly and make sure he remains.

Owens--same as Audige

Harvey--Possible he could leave and play closer to home in California with Tony gone. He is very close to Knight and that might be a factor in him staying.

BOTTOM LINE: Get a new coach here asap to keep this talented team together!

Blair and Scott--Up in the air. Blair is from Michigan...might he want to play closer to home?
03-14-2019 06:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Tony Gone..Will Players Come Back?
Also, a new coach will want his own players at some point. Having a new coach come in for your senior year is a tough pill to swallow. You feel like you have to prove yourself even though you've been a key cog/captain under the old regime.

I will not be shocked if several kids are not back in the fall
03-14-2019 06:43 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Sorry...I forgot to include Cameron Brown. Extremely talented recruit.
Now able to sign elsewhere with Tony gone. New coach must immediately keep him on board...or we'll lose him.

And what happens with the second 2019 scholarship? Unless the new coach has someone he's been recruiting at his old school and can bring over to W&M this is probably gone.
03-14-2019 06:44 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(03-14-2019 06:44 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  Sorry...I forgot to include Cameron Brown. Extremely talented recruit.
Now able to sign elsewhere with Tony gone. New coach must immediately keep him on board...or we'll lose him.

And what happens with the second 2019 scholarship? Unless the new coach has someone he's been recruiting at his old school and can bring over to W&M this is probably gone.

Cam's mother is a W&M alum, so the chances that he stays are greater because of that, even if he does reopen his recruitment.

I do agree though, this needs to be a fairly quick process (once the NCAA Tourney is finished).
03-14-2019 08:03 AM
Advertisement

Sitting bull Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
Also wonder if the fans will come back..
03-14-2019 09:18 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(03-14-2019 09:18 AM)Sitting bull Wrote:  Also wonder if the fans will come back..

Fans come to have fun and see good BB. Huge's goal must be to have a BETTER coach that will win in the NCAA so we will then have MORE fans to fund the new coach and a better MBB budget PLUS fund Tony's well deserved buyout in retirement. If this occurs we are all happy and is a much better way to envision the outcome!
03-14-2019 09:41 AM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
I hope Huge has held a close door meeting with players by now. That is a least she can do.
03-14-2019 10:55 AM
Advertisement

wrnbldg Offline
Bench Warmer

(03-14-2019 06:36 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  We've discussed Tony's firing and speculating on his successor...but little or no thought on this whole mess on the players.

I miss Tony and don't agree with this decision. But there will be basketball next year ... and I can't speak for anyone else but all I can think about is whether we will retain our players, at least the starting five, and especially Nathan. You make an optimistic case for us keeping most everyone. I hope so, but I don't know. I'm not quite as optimistic.

My feeling is this: If we lose Pierce, Millon or Knight then this decision, especially this year, is an unmitigated disaster.
03-14-2019 11:55 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Huge is no dummy. She must have options that the players will be happy to have as a coach. Her announcement emphasizing the NCAA tourney must be followed up by a coach with experience is doing that already and with that instant creditability with the players if he is of the right character.
03-14-2019 12:27 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(03-14-2019 10:55 AM)tribeintexas Wrote:  I hope Huge has held a close door meeting with players by now. That is a least she can do.

Her announcement implies just that.
03-14-2019 12:28 PM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

She met with the team before releasing the announcement.
03-14-2019 04:43 PM
ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

(03-14-2019 10:55 AM)tribeintexas Wrote:  I hope Huge has held a close door meeting with players by now. That is a least she can do.

Her original press release was put out following her meeting with the players. I’m guessing Tony and his staff weren’t invited.
03-16-2019 05:44 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
It almost a certainty that our new coach will be defense oriented. That said, this roster will be shaken. These are personal decisions.
03-17-2019 06:48 PM
Advertisement

ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

(03-17-2019 06:48 PM)SoCal Frank Wrote:  It almost a certainty that our new coach will be defense oriented. That said, this roster will be shaken. These are personal decisions.

Funny thing is that many of our top current players seem to have strong individual natural defensive talent, with Milon probably being the biggest exception. Knight, Audige, Loewe on-ball is pretty good, Pierce quick and long arms (if he comes back), Harvey, unsure about other freshmen we didn’t see much. Brown apparently likes defense too. So point being that I’m not sure these guys couldn’t be a strong defensive unit, and maybe they’d actually be attracted to more focus on defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-17-2019 07:06 PM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
(03-17-2019 07:06 PM)ColonelEbirt Wrote:  
(03-17-2019 06:48 PM)SoCal Frank Wrote:  It almost a certainty that our new coach will be defense oriented. That said, this roster will be shaken. These are personal decisions.

Funny thing is that many of our top current players seem to have strong individual natural defensive talent, with Milon probably being the biggest exception. Knight, Audige, Loewe on-ball is pretty good, Pierce quick and long arms (if he comes back), Harvey, unsure about other freshmen we didn’t see much. Brown apparently likes defense too. So point being that I’m not sure these guys couldn’t be a strong defensive unit, and maybe they’d actually be attracted to more focus on defense.
Good points all. I hope you’re right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-18-2019 10:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.