Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TRIBE ATHLETICS DONORS
Bookmark and Share
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
TRIBE ATHLETICS DONORS
With the news just out that Tony Shaver was fired, I ask you to seriously consider your donations this year. I encourage you to still give to W&M, but to really consider where your donation goes. Right now, I do not believe in, nor have confidence in, the relatively new leadership or direction of the Athletic Department. If you do, I encourage you to continue to do as you have.

There has been too many changes in coaches and staff. Changes in logos and branding. Change for the sake of change. Change is fine and expected but the last two years have been clearly an out with the old, in with the new.

One Tribe, One Day is coming soon. Before you send in your donation to athletics, think to yourself whether you have confidence in and support the path of the last two years and forward. If you do have confidence, press on. If you do not, think about other areas within the school to donate.

Money talks.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 03:36 PM by Tribe1693.)
03-13-2019 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
RE: TRIBE ATHLETICS DONORS
You aren’t serious.
03-13-2019 03:21 PM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: W&M
(03-13-2019 03:20 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  With the news just out that Tony Shaver was fired, I ask you to seriously consider your donations this year. I encourage you to still give to W&M, but to really consider where your donation goes. I do not believe in, nor have confidence in, the relatively new leadership or direction of the Athletic Department. If you do, continue to do as you have.

There has been too many changes in coaches and staff. Changes in logos and branding. Change for the sake of change. Change is fine and expected but the last two years have been clearly an out with the old, in with the new.

One Tribe, One Day is coming soon. Before you send in your donation to athletics, think to yourself whether you have confidence in and support the the path of the last two years and forward. If you do have confidence, press on. If you do not, think about other areas within the school to donate.

Money talks.

Get a grip man. I'm unsure of how this decision turns out, and don't love it, but the vast majority of decisions were badly needed ones that got rid of dead wood that should have been done a while ago. So yeah... if you want to tank our basketball program entirely out of spite, then follow this jerk.
03-13-2019 03:35 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
Uh ... the original poster reflects a point of view held by many ... just as Tribe2011's view is held by many.

I will continue to support the program on the assumption that the AD will hire a better coach/person than Tony Shaver, that none of the key players will transfer, that March, 2020 will continue to be circled on the calendar, and that the men's basketball program is now poised to go big-time.

If my assumption is wrong, I will re-consider my position.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 03:46 PM by nj alum.)
03-13-2019 03:45 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(03-13-2019 03:45 PM)nj alum Wrote:  Uh ... the original poster reflects a point of view held by many ... just as Tribe2011's view is held by many.

I will continue to support the program on the assumption that the AD will hire a better coach/person than Tony Shaver, that none of the key players will transfer, that March, 2020 will continue to be circled on the calendar, and that the men's basketball program is now poised to go big-time.

If my assumption is wrong, I will re-consider my position.

+1. The water is murky, need to watch for awhile.
03-13-2019 04:08 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
This is a honest thread with bad implications. Why punish our student athletes for the decisions of the adults in charge? Huge took a big risk here in the timing of this move.
03-13-2019 04:20 PM
Advertisement

WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I have had no problems with any of the changes Huge has brought about to date. My opinions have ranged from supportive, indifferent, to wait and see. I think this decision, particularly the timing, is very poor. I am not going to make any brash proclamations in the wake of the initial shock, other than to say I plan to email Huge and ask that she reconsider this decision. Beyond that, time will tell.
03-13-2019 04:44 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

Go Tribe! Like the decision or not, our kids will receive my support. At this point I trust the decision making.
03-13-2019 04:45 PM
Zorch Online
All American

I Root For: W&M
(03-13-2019 04:44 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  I plan to email Huge and ask that she reconsider this decision.

I am not going to even bother wasting time emailing Huge. However, I have already emailed Katherine Rowe.

However, as Tribe1693 said, "Money Talks" and, unfortunately, I am not considered a "big giver" and consequently nobody at W&M cares what I think.
03-13-2019 04:58 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

(03-13-2019 04:58 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(03-13-2019 04:44 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  I plan to email Huge and ask that she reconsider this decision.

I am not going to even bother wasting time emailing Huge. However, I have already emailed Katherine Rowe.

However, as Tribe1693 said, "Money Talks" and, unfortunately, I am not considered a "big giver" and consequently nobody at W&M cares what I think.

No doubt it would take some very big donors or a ground swell of disapproval to reverse this call, but I figure Tony is owed that much for he has given.
03-13-2019 05:01 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

No possible way this decision is reversed. Need to move on and hope Huge has a plan that will calm the Indians that want to go on the warpath.
03-13-2019 05:11 PM
Advertisement

WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-13-2019 04:44 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  I have had no problems with any of the changes Huge has brought about to date. My opinions have ranged from supportive, indifferent, to wait and see. I think this decision, particularly the timing, is very poor.

I think the timing is as good as it could be for all involved, aside from never. The entire staff has full opportunity in hiring/firing season to find a landing spot, and there's more gathered basketball coaches now than any other time of year in terms of searching for the next coach.
03-13-2019 05:50 PM
Tribal Offline

(03-13-2019 03:35 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  
(03-13-2019 03:20 PM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  With the news just out that Tony Shaver was fired, I ask you to seriously consider your donations this year. I encourage you to still give to W&M, but to really consider where your donation goes. I do not believe in, nor have confidence in, the relatively new leadership or direction of the Athletic Department. If you do, continue to do as you have.

One Tribe, One Day is coming soon. Before you send in your donation to athletics, think to yourself whether you have confidence in and support the the path of the last two years and forward. If you do have confidence, press on. If you do not, think about other areas within the school to donate.

Money talks.

Get a grip man. I'm unsure of how this decision turns out, and don't love it, but the vast majority of decisions were badly needed ones that got rid of dead wood that should have been done a while ago. So yeah... if you want to tank our basketball program entirely out of spite, then follow this jerk.
Be careful, Tribe2011. I've crossed this line before and wished I'd been more mature. Make your point without the personal attacks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 06:16 PM by Tribal.)
03-13-2019 06:10 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

When's a better time to announce it? We still have a scholarship to give. I'd think they want a new coach in place in a few weeks, to meet the players before the end of the semester and get the ball rolling ASAP.
03-13-2019 06:16 PM
2017WithPep Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary and JMU
I get the emotion, but who does this actually hurt? If it even hurts Huge at all, think about what the collateral damage is.

Maybe it's because I was a student more recently than I think anybody else here, but my mind immediately goes to how this will impact students. Don't make students play with fewer scholarships/worse equipment/whatever else the consequences might be if athletics gets fewer donations just because you think the AD sucks.

(Also the Pep Band is technically part of athletics, so you know I gotta look out for them 03-wink )
03-13-2019 06:30 PM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I literally was going to make my annual donation to the MBB program this morning but got tied up. I’m sure I’ll do the right thing in the end but not today.
03-13-2019 06:37 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(03-13-2019 06:30 PM)2017WithPep Wrote:  I get the emotion, but who does this actually hurt? If it even hurts Huge at all, think about what the collateral damage is.

Maybe it's because I was a student more recently than I think anybody else here, but my mind immediately goes to how this will impact students. Don't make students play with fewer scholarships/worse equipment/whatever else the consequences might be if athletics gets fewer donations just because you think the AD sucks.

(Also the Pep Band is technically part of athletics, so you know I gotta look out for them 03-wink )

Where to begin?

Some of us played intercollegiate athletics at the College with fewer scholarships and old equipment ... and I wouldn't trade those years for your years.

It is the donor's money to do with as the donor pleases. If the donor does not like the direction of a program, or a school, it is the donor's prerogative to withhold a donation.

The issue is not the withholding of the donation.

The issue is that the school has become reliant upon the donation. That is not a good business model.
03-13-2019 06:43 PM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

(03-13-2019 05:50 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(03-13-2019 04:44 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  I have had no problems with any of the changes Huge has brought about to date. My opinions have ranged from supportive, indifferent, to wait and see. I think this decision, particularly the timing, is very poor.

I think the timing is as good as it could be for all involved, aside from never. The entire staff has full opportunity in hiring/firing season to find a landing spot, and there's more gathered basketball coaches now than any other time of year in terms of searching for the next coach.

The timing is poor because we will arguably have one of the most talented teams in WM basketball history next season. Now that team will have to learn an entire new system. The new system may not fit the talent Shaver assembled for his offense. The timing stinks because we have three academic seniors that will be free to transfer without sitting out a yr per the NCAA's grad transfer rules. Nathan Knight could literally pick where he'd want to go and start next year. Maybe guys transfer out or may they don't, but I'd guarantee they're all considering their options right now due to this decision. The last and perhaps most important reason the timing stinks is because Shaver has earned the opportunity to coach the talent he has assembled for next season. Any decision to keep or fire Tony should have been based on next season's performance and outcome IMO.
03-13-2019 06:49 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(03-13-2019 06:49 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  

The timing is poor because we will arguably have one of the most talented teams in WM basketball history next season. Now that team will have to learn an entire new system. The new system may not fit the talent Shaver assembled for his offense. The timing stinks because we have three academic seniors that will be free to transfer without sitting out a yr per the NCAA's grad transfer rules. Nathan Knight could literally pick where he'd want to go and start next year. Maybe guys transfer out or may they don't, but I'd guarantee they're all considering their options right now due to this decision. The last and perhaps most important reason the timing stinks is because Shaver has earned the opportunity to coach the talent he has assembled for next season. Any decision to keep or fire Tony should have been based on next season's performance and outcome IMO.

Yep. Very questionable timing.

Like others who have posted, what I give is not going to really move the needle, but at this time the brakes are on.
03-13-2019 06:56 PM
wml33t Online
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
TRIBE ATHLETICS DONORS
(03-13-2019 06:49 PM)WMTribe90 Wrote:  

This is where my head is at right now. The timing is just.... wrong to me. I’m sure I have the luxury of being a fan and thinking differently than an AD does, but I usually am fairly objective on these things. This just stinks of finding an excuse (UD loss) to make a move that the AD wanted to make all along to bring in someone they wanted. I see no other logical explanation.

Rarely have I seen such a large “he shouldn’t have been fired” Cry from a fan base after a sports coach was fired. I think that’s very, very telling.

It may work out in the win column, but as much as I want W&M to really succeed in athletics, I don’t prefer this way to do it.

Oh - and I too will delay my (relatively small) donation to see how this pans out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 07:22 PM by wml33t.)
03-13-2019 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.