Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Developing story on wide-scale cheating on entrance exams
07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fed...ot-n982136

Schools named in the story are Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, San Diego, USC, UT, Wake Forest, and Yale...not sure if that's a full list or not

Somehow involving Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, as well as several D-1 coaches, according to this tweet: https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/11...4686236672
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019 09:52 AM by 07owl.)
03-12-2019 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

07owl Offline
All American

RE: Developing story on wide-scale cheating on entrance exams
Apparently the scheme involved paying coaches to recruit kids as athletes
03-12-2019 10:05 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(03-12-2019 09:52 AM)07owl Wrote:  Schools named in the story are Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, San Diego, USC, UT, Wake Forest, and Yale...not sure if that's a full list or not

To be fair, the article says this was a scheme independent of the universities with the goal of cheating to get admitted. The list of schools isn't pertinent to this scam at this time.

From the article:
Quote:There's no indication that the schools were involved in any of the wrong-doing.
03-12-2019 10:58 AM
AnotherOldOwl Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice Owls
Here's a link to an article with more details:

https://abc7news.com/actresses-ceos-char...m/5186103/

It does mention one case where a coach accepted money to accept a student on an athletic scholarship when the student didn't even play the sport in question. That might cause some problems for the school.
03-12-2019 11:09 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2019 10:58 AM)Antarius Wrote:  
(03-12-2019 09:52 AM)07owl Wrote:  Schools named in the story are Georgetown, Stanford, UCLA, San Diego, USC, UT, Wake Forest, and Yale...not sure if that's a full list or not

To be fair, the article says this was a scheme independent of the universities with the goal of cheating to get admitted. The list of schools isn't pertinent to this scam at this time.

From the article:
Quote:There's no indication that the schools were involved in any of the wrong-doing.

Coaches falsifying profiles? Yes, it involves the schools.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2019 11:12 AM by Tomball Owl.)
03-12-2019 11:11 AM
07owl Offline
All American

From the article:

Coaches are being implicated. For example: https://twitter.com/KTVU/status/1105495244332646400

Also saw some stuff about USC and UCLA soccer coaches. The schools had to be complicit at some level in admitting non-athletes as athletes, whether or not it stops at the head coach
03-12-2019 11:11 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
Howler of the day - from CNN "you can't just walk into these [athletic] programs [like USC] and say 'here, would you take a bribe?'"...
03-12-2019 11:14 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
Also, someone willing to pay up to a million dollars to get into my safety school?
03-12-2019 11:14 AM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

(03-12-2019 09:52 AM)07owl Wrote:  Somehow involving Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, as well as several D-1 coaches, according to this tweet: https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/11...4686236672

What will happen next on Wisteria Lane?
03-12-2019 11:15 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-12-2019 11:11 AM)07owl Wrote:  

From the article:

Coaches are being implicated. For example: https://twitter.com/KTVU/status/1105495244332646400

Also saw some stuff about USC and UCLA soccer coaches. The schools had to be complicit at some level in admitting non-athletes as athletes, whether or not it stops at the head coach
CNN reported USC Crew, Yale Soccer. I'd be surprised if programs like USC/UCLA Soccer were involved... it's possible, but I'd think those were too high profile...
03-12-2019 11:16 AM
07owl Offline
All American

(03-12-2019 11:16 AM)I45owl Wrote:  

From the article:

CNN reported USC Crew, Yale Soccer. I'd be surprised if programs like USC/UCLA Soccer were involved... it's possible, but I'd think those were too high profile...

Here's the list of indictments apparently: https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investig...ery-scheme

UCLA men's soccer coach is on there (Jorge Salcedo) and USC's former women's (Ali Khosroshahin). Not sure who else
03-12-2019 11:24 AM
Advertisement

chrisc Offline
2nd String

UT tennis coach directly implicated, and has been suspended by the University.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/u...1842478712

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
03-12-2019 12:08 PM
07owl Offline
All American

USC seems to have maybe the biggest involvement in this, through a senior associate AD: https://twitter.com/joeyrkaufman/status/...2799790080

Extends to football as well: https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/...2012100610
03-12-2019 12:26 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

This story is very weird.
03-12-2019 01:32 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
The thing I don't get about this story is quite honestly, rich and powerful families have been getting their children into universities they probably don't belong in for hundreds of years. As many of you know, I went to UCLA, and when I was there in the 80's, there were a ton of kids of celebrities attending UCLA. Some were probably good enough to get in on their own academically, but some were definitely only there because of their famous parents. And it was even more prevalent at USC.

So here's the part I don't get. Do these schools no longer admit celebrities kids as regular students anymore merely because of their parents wealth and fame? Why couldn't the kids mentioned in these stories just be admitted as regular students, and not have to be associated with the athletic departments?
03-12-2019 02:43 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-12-2019 02:43 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Why couldn't the kids mentioned in these stories just be admitted as regular students, and not have to be associated with the athletic departments?

Some evidently were, with paid for faked SAT / ACT test scores.
03-12-2019 03:08 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-12-2019 11:24 AM)07owl Wrote:  
(03-12-2019 11:16 AM)I45owl Wrote:  

From the article:

Here's the list of indictments apparently: https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investig...ery-scheme

UCLA men's soccer coach is on there (Jorge Salcedo) and USC's former women's (Ali Khosroshahin). Not sure who else

Wow. That takes hubris, as UCLA typically produces some pretty prominent soccer players. I'd expect things like fencing or crew to be affected rather than top-10 teams (on the womens' side, USC had #6 RPI, UCLA #7).
03-12-2019 03:13 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(03-12-2019 02:43 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The thing I don't get about this story is quite honestly, rich and powerful families have been getting their children into universities they probably don't belong in for hundreds of years. As many of you know, I went to UCLA, and when I was there in the 80's, there were a ton of kids of celebrities attending UCLA. Some were probably good enough to get in on their own academically, but some were definitely only there because of their famous parents. And it was even more prevalent at USC.

So here's the part I don't get. Do these schools no longer admit celebrities kids as regular students anymore merely because of their parents wealth and fame? Why couldn't the kids mentioned in these stories just be admitted as regular students, and not have to be associated with the athletic departments?

One criticism of Ivy league schools, in particular, is that they are credential factories for children of privilege.
03-12-2019 03:15 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
I'm not shocked it could involve even highly ranked programs. A scheme as simple as: "We're considering this potential student-athlete for the team as a walk-on. We'd like him/her admitted, and we'll go through tryouts to determine if he/she makes the team. But either way, in all of my conversations with him/her and his/her family, they'd be a great student here at $$$ University." No need to set aside a scholarship, just get good enough grades/testing and the applicant quite possibly will get in. And never have to worry about making the team again, because no one's going to follow up on something like that.

Plus, the money being offered as bribes was huge - probably annual salary in many cases? The one case mentioned in the ESPN article I read said $400k to the coach.

I'm curious how this scheme came to the attention of the feds. Obviously something Singer did, maybe with his charitable org, but part of me wonders if someone didn't blow the whistle on him a child didn't get into the desired school after all.
03-12-2019 04:30 PM
owlsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-12-2019 11:15 AM)Gravy Owl Wrote:  
(03-12-2019 09:52 AM)07owl Wrote:  Somehow involving Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, as well as several D-1 coaches, according to this tweet: https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/11...4686236672

What will happen next on Wisteria Lane?

So 2 actresses known for their political activism in supporting the politics of making things fair and tearing down the wealthy for their privilege just... exercised their privilege for their own children in a big way. Do what I say, but not what I do. Hypocrites of epic dimension.
03-12-2019 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.