Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New bill in congress would allow NCAA athletes to make $ from their name and image
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
New bill in congress would allow NCAA athletes to make $ from their name and image
This would be a big (and good) change, if it ever becomes law.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019...mpic-model
Quote:Rep. Mark Walker (R., N.C.) will introduce a bill Thursday—likely through the Ways and Means committee—that would amend the definition of a qualified amateur sports organization in the U.S. tax code. In the new definition, a body seeking to be defined as a qualified amateur sports organization would be banned from “prohibiting or substantially restricting the use of an athlete’s name, image and likeness.”

In other words, if the NCAA wanted to remain tax-exempt, the schools that run it couldn’t keep a rule on the books banning athletes from making money off their names. If an athlete wants to sign autographs for cash, fine. If a company wants to hire that athlete to pitch its products, swell. Walker has been examining this issue for the past 18 months, and he sees it as a free-market issue and a basic rights issue. “It’s a travesty and an injustice that the one segment of our society that can’t access the free market like every other person in America is the student athlete,” Walker says. He’d like to see athletes treated like college students who excel at any other discipline. “If a kid is at a school on a music scholarship, you can go get gigs,” he says. “You can play in an orchestra, whatever you want to do without it having any kind of impact. And you’re doing it based on your talent, image and likeness.”
Quote:The NCAA should worry, because Walker isn’t alone. He says he has met with House Democrats such as Bobby Scott (Virginia), Cedric Richmond (Louisiana) and Hakeem Jeffries (New York) about this bill, and Walker expects bipartisan support. “When we get ready to drop this thing on Thursday, we’re going to have overwhelming support,” Walker says. “It isn’t just going to be a Republican thing.”

He also wants to make one thing clear. He is not suggesting schools pay players. He is merely proposing a removal of the barriers that keep others from paying players.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 05:10 PM by Wedge.)
03-11-2019 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: New bill in congress would allow athletes to make $ from their name and image
So pretty much unlimited money from boosters?
03-11-2019 05:14 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: New bill in congress would allow NCAA athletes to make $ from their name and image
(03-11-2019 04:58 PM)Wedge Wrote:  This would be a big (and good) change, if it ever becomes law.

Quote:Rep. Mark Walker (R., N.C.) will introduce a bill Thursday—likely through the Ways and Means committee—that would amend the definition of a qualified amateur sports organization in the U.S. tax code. In the new definition, a body seeking to be defined as a qualified amateur sports organization would be banned from “prohibiting or substantially restricting the use of an athlete’s name, image and likeness.”

In other words, if the NCAA wanted to remain tax-exempt, the schools that run it couldn’t keep a rule on the books banning athletes from making money off their names. If an athlete wants to sign autographs for cash, fine. If a company wants to hire that athlete to pitch its products, swell. Walker has been examining this issue for the past 18 months, and he sees it as a free-market issue and a basic rights issue. “It’s a travesty and an injustice that the one segment of our society that can’t access the free market like every other person in America is the student athlete,” Walker says. He’d like to see athletes treated like college students who excel at any other discipline. “If a kid is at a school on a music scholarship, you can go get gigs,” he says. “You can play in an orchestra, whatever you want to do without it having any kind of impact. And you’re doing it based on your talent, image and likeness.”
Quote:The NCAA should worry, because Walker isn’t alone. He says he has met with House Democrats such as Bobby Scott (Virginia), Cedric Richmond (Louisiana) and Hakeem Jeffries (New York) about this bill, and Walker expects bipartisan support. “When we get ready to drop this thing on Thursday, we’re going to have overwhelming support,” Walker says. “It isn’t just going to be a Republican thing.”

He also wants to make one thing clear. He is not suggesting schools pay players. He is merely proposing a removal of the barriers that keep others from paying players.

Unlike the Alston case---this one is more of a game changer.
03-11-2019 05:33 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: New bill in congress would allow NCAA athletes to make $ from their name and image
(03-11-2019 05:14 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  So pretty much unlimited money from boosters?

Especially for "star" players even if they don't project to the NFL as a lock. I think the hard pill to swallow as it relates to team unity is you could have some "stars" making big money, and Tackles, Ends, Safeties getting nothing.
03-11-2019 05:44 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Frankly, it's more than a little absurd that players don't have ownership over their likeness.

If it literally takes an act of Congress for the NCAA to do something reasonable then so be it.
03-11-2019 05:45 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
If anything, Congress should be fighting for a true playoff.
03-11-2019 06:06 PM
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Congress needs to stay the hell out of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-11-2019 06:30 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(03-11-2019 06:30 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  Congress needs to stay the hell out of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that too
03-11-2019 06:31 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
Let the players have jobs. Easiest solution to the problem. If the boosters go rogue and pay them big bucks for nothing, then that's their problem.
03-11-2019 06:36 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(03-11-2019 05:45 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Frankly, it's more than a little absurd that players don't have ownership over their likeness.

If it literally takes an act of Congress for the NCAA to do something reasonable then so be it.

Don't they? They just can't capitalize on them whiles they compete, right?
03-11-2019 06:46 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

“If a kid is at a school on a music scholarship, you can go get gigs”

But that person is not an amateur, by definition. Why are we trying to redefine amateur athletics? You want to be on a Wheaties Box then go pro.
03-11-2019 06:50 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(03-11-2019 06:50 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  “If a kid is at a school on a music scholarship, you can go get gigs”

But that person is not an amateur, by definition. Why are we trying to redefine amateur athletics? You want to be on a Wheaties Box then go pro.

They're still amateur athletes; they're still not getting paid to play their particular sport by the NCAA or their school. This prevents the NCAA and any amateur-sports organization from not allowing an athlete to benefit from their name, image and likeness — all of which are theirs in the first place, not the school's and not the NCAA's.

Let's be honest — the reason some of us are excited about this is that it opens the door for NCAA Football '20.
03-11-2019 07:00 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-11-2019 06:50 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  “If a kid is at a school on a music scholarship, you can go get gigs”

Its the olympic model. Unfortunately, this is going to end up being much more like all the Russian ice skaters, hockey players, and swimmers who are "in the Army". The issue is there will be no way to measure if the compensation for name and likeness is in anyway tethered to the real life economic value of said name use in advertising (or video games or whatever). I can see this simply morphing into an easy way to legalize under the table bags of cash. For many of the top kids---recruiting will be about the fan base with the best big donors---coaches and facilities arent going to matter nearly as much for many.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2019 07:08 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-11-2019 07:02 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Hmmm... so congress getting more tax money from income this way.
03-11-2019 07:17 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(03-11-2019 07:00 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

They're still amateur athletes; they're still not getting paid to play their particular sport by the NCAA or their school. This prevents the NCAA and any amateur-sports organization from not allowing an athlete to benefit from their name, image and likeness — all of which are theirs in the first place, not the school's and not the NCAA's.

Let's be honest — the reason some of us are excited about this is that it opens the door for NCAA Football '20.

There’s a handful of NCAA athletes whose name, image or likeness are in any kind of demand. You could expand that handful if you include local businesses that would put them on a commercial or name a sandwich after them. There’s a lot more that would be in theposition to receive money to simply sign with a certain school and give no economic benefit to the organizations paying them. You might as well start the SEC Super PAC which will publish your picture in thier annual newsletter and give you 5 figures. Full page article gets you 6 figures. There’s only one thing they’ll be getting paid for, playing sports and that makes them non-amateurs. If you want to promote free market then start making professional sports foot the bill for their own player development instead of perverting what is meant to be actual amateur athletics.
03-11-2019 08:24 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(03-11-2019 08:24 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

There’s a handful of NCAA athletes whose name, image or likeness are in any kind of demand. You could expand that handful if you include local businesses that would put them on a commercial or name a sandwich after them. There’s a lot more that would be in theposition to receive money to simply sign with a certain school and give no economic benefit to the organizations paying them. You might as well start the SEC Super PAC which will publish your picture in thier annual newsletter and give you 5 figures. Full page article gets you 6 figures. There’s only one thing they’ll be getting paid for, playing sports and that makes them non-amateurs. If you want to promote free market then start making professional sports foot the bill for their own player development instead of perverting what is meant to be actual amateur athletics.

That ship sailed about 20-30 years ago.

At this point, I just wanna see the kids that put in the work get some type of financial reward. It's a business, and it's time to adjust accordingly.
03-11-2019 10:56 PM
Advertisement

DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-11-2019 04:58 PM)Wedge Wrote:  This would be a big (and good) change, if it ever becomes law.

However, I’m sure Congress has bigger problems to worry about than this... 05-stirthepot
03-12-2019 02:17 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(03-11-2019 07:02 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Its the olympic model. Unfortunately, this is going to end up being much more like all the Russian ice skaters, hockey players, and swimmers who are "in the Army". The issue is there will be no way to measure if the compensation for name and likeness is in anyway tethered to the real life economic value of said name use in advertising (or video games or whatever). I can see this simply morphing into an easy way to legalize under the table bags of cash. For many of the top kids---recruiting will be about the fan base with the best big donors---coaches and facilities arent going to matter nearly as much for many.

(03-11-2019 08:24 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  There’s a handful of NCAA athletes whose name, image or likeness are in any kind of demand. You could expand that handful if you include local businesses that would put them on a commercial or name a sandwich after them. There’s a lot more that would be in theposition to receive money to simply sign with a certain school and give no economic benefit to the organizations paying them. You might as well start the SEC Super PAC which will publish your picture in thier annual newsletter and give you 5 figures. Full page article gets you 6 figures. There’s only one thing they’ll be getting paid for, playing sports and that makes them non-amateurs. If you want to promote free market then start making professional sports foot the bill for their own player development instead of perverting what is meant to be actual amateur athletics.

Guys, players are already being paid under the table. This has been going on a very long time. Why do you think the NCAA has rules against these things in the first place? Because it's been happening for decades. The only real change is that schools/boosters are probably paying more these days than they did 40 or 50 years ago.

Players choose their schools for a variety of reasons, but if you don't think that cash and benefits aren't a part of the current process then I don't think you're paying attention.

What a law like this would do is bring more of it into the light of day. I have no doubt some boosters will use this as a way to funnel some cash to a kid and do it without fear of NCAA punishment. My response to that...who cares? Who is hurt by that?

It's kind of like the folly of prohibition in the 20s. Everybody's doing it and you're not going to stop it so you might as well regulate it.
03-12-2019 04:04 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU

I have no problem admitting that!
03-12-2019 05:31 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(03-11-2019 08:24 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Why is college football "meant to be actual amateur athletics"? Star college football players have been paid for 150 years. They were being paid long before professional football began. Now basketball players are being paid as well.

We often speak of amateur athletics as some sort of ideal - a pure form of sport. Rubbish. The concept of amateurism is a byproduct of the modern Olympic movement - a movement that was meant to be elitist from its very beginning. By limiting participation to those who could afford to compete without having to worry about making a living, European nobility could entertain themselves without having to rub shoulders with commoners and riff-raff.

Amateurism in college athletics is mandated by our tax code. This bill is an attempt to lessen that mandate without removing it entirely. It's a start.
03-12-2019 05:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.