ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA Tournament Thread
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
CUSA Tournament Thread
So ODU gets either La. Tech or NT. That should be a game where we can hopefully build some confidence. Honestly...this POD system is tougher on the top teams vs the next 5. I hope it has not taken a toll on us.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2019 10:09 PM by bit_9.)
03-09-2019 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: CUSA Tournament Threat
(03-09-2019 05:32 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  So ODU gets either La. Tech or NT. That should be a game where we can hopefully build some confidence. Honestly...this POD system is tougher on the top teams vs the next 5. I hope it has not taken a toll on us.

I was more concerned with WKU and UTSA. Guess the team was too.
03-09-2019 05:57 PM
mac Offline
All American

(03-09-2019 05:57 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-09-2019 05:32 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  So ODU gets either La. Tech or NT. That should be a game where we can hopefully build some confidence. Honestly...this POD system is tougher on the top teams vs the next 5. I hope it has not taken a toll on us.

I was more concerned with WKU and UTSA. Guess the team was too.

Me too. I’d be surprised if we can regroup. Please surprise me Monarchs.
03-09-2019 06:08 PM
Old Dom Swag Offline
1st String

They have had to win three games in these three days since December. Hopefully they can pull it together and make a run. Even if the last two games have been **** this next week is all that matters.
03-09-2019 06:17 PM
RoanokeMonarch Offline
1st String

(03-09-2019 06:17 PM)Old Dom Swag Wrote:  They have had to win three games in these three days since December. Hopefully they can pull it together and make a run. Even if the last two games have been **** this next week is all that matters.

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't know if this team can turn it off and on so easily. Any team for that matter. The psych of the game is so fragile. High one minute/game, down low the next minute/game. Does this team have the character and leadership to pull it together? They surprised me big time after the UTSA collapse and regrouped. I don't remember all year their body language being this bad. Something is amiss. Since early this season, after each loss, the next game was at home. Not the case last Wednesday, then on the road today. Next game, on the road.
I hoping for a regroup, but doubt it will happen....
03-09-2019 06:43 PM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

This might sound crazy but maybe these losses will wake us up. We didn't play well against UTSA but hung on to win. This may also sound crazy but I think Stith plays better when he is a little tired. I think his shot looks a lot better when he is not so pumped up and that's why his second halfs have often been better this year. Despite what people say about Caver, BJ is our best player and we need him to put up strong numbers on offense and on the boards to win. The pressure has been on him to perform well all year and he has responded. Coach Jones says he has been beat up pretty badly. Maybe he subconsciously let down a little after we clinched the regular season. If he did I am sure it was unintentional. It sounds like I am making excuses and maybe I am but I am looking for some reasons to suggest all is not lost. Everything to play for is still in front of us. I am looking for BJ to come back strong in the tournament and the team will follow his lead.
03-09-2019 08:01 PM
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

(03-09-2019 06:43 PM)RoanokeMonarch Wrote:  
(03-09-2019 06:17 PM)Old Dom Swag Wrote:  They have had to win three games in these three days since December. Hopefully they can pull it together and make a run. Even if the last two games have been **** this next week is all that matters.

I understand what you are saying, but I just don't know if this team can turn it off and on so easily. Any team for that matter. The psych of the game is so fragile. High one minute/game, down low the next minute/game. Does this team have the character and leadership to pull it together? They surprised me big time after the UTSA collapse and regrouped. I don't remember all year their body language being this bad. Something is amiss. Since early this season, after each loss, the next game was at home. Not the case last Wednesday, then on the road today. Next game, on the road.

Worst body language I’ve seen across an entire team since Blaine’s drunk 2-20 year.

Seriously, not an exaggeration, the body language was awful and it was noticeable.

Don’t know what the deal is but I also don’t think it’s “nothing”.

I’ve seen players have bad body language but not an entire team like we’ve had the last two games. No clue what it was about but it was real.
03-09-2019 08:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Obiwan Offline
1st String

(03-09-2019 08:16 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  

Worst body language I’ve seen across an entire team since Blaine’s drunk 2-20 year.

Seriously, not an exaggeration, the body language was awful and it was noticeable.

I’ve seen players have bad body language but not an entire team like we’ve had the last two games. No clue what it was about but it was real.

Caver said in the post game there is some funk off the court with some of the younger plays ... could it be Kithcart complaining about playing time dragging the team down as toxic ?? I have no clue but it was mentioned there was some issues ...
03-09-2019 08:25 PM
N2theBlue Offline
Special Teams

(03-09-2019 08:16 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  

I agree there seems to bo something wrong with the psyche of this team. Whatever it is, it happened pretty quick.
03-09-2019 08:29 PM
ODUMonarchs Offline
Special Teams

They have really seem to have been a close team that really gel together real well. It only takes one to bring the team down. I hope whoever it is, they get their crap together before next week. It may be time for a player only meeting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using CSNbbs mobile app
03-09-2019 08:32 PM
LetsGoODU Online
1st String

Kitchcart has a point though, if that’s the case haha.

I’ve never looked at this team as “close knit”...I don’t even see B.J. and Caver being that tight. Just seems like a group of good guys that happen to play together. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see a major closeness.
03-09-2019 08:43 PM
Advertisement

ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(03-09-2019 08:43 PM)LetsGoODU Wrote:  Kitchcart has a point though, if that’s the case haha.

I’ve never looked at this team as “close knit”...I don’t even see B.J. and Caver being that tight. Just seems like a group of good guys that happen to play together. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see a major closeness.

BJ and Ahmad have said they will be friends for life - and they live together. But, yeah, they’re not tight. Keep going with your presumptions.
03-09-2019 10:55 PM
LetsGoODU Online
1st String

(03-09-2019 10:55 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(03-09-2019 08:43 PM)LetsGoODU Wrote:  Kitchcart has a point though, if that’s the case haha.

BJ and Ahmad have said they will be friends for life - and they live together. But, yeah, they’re not tight. Keep going with your presumptions.

You’re really setting yourself up to be disappointed. Eye test usually doesn’t lie. I’m sure they are BFFs...but on the court, I just don’t see some big time connection.
03-09-2019 11:00 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(03-09-2019 11:00 PM)LetsGoODU Wrote:  

You’re really setting yourself up to be disappointed. Eye test usually doesn’t lie. I’m sure they are BFFs...but on the court, I just don’t see some big time connection.

What disappointment? It has been a great season - and I most definitely enjoyed watching us put it on vcu in the Ted and the Cuse on the road. Hope we win the tournament next week, but it’s not the end of the world if we don’t.
03-09-2019 11:09 PM
LetsGoODU Online
1st String

(03-09-2019 11:09 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  

What disappointment? It has been a great season - and I most definitely enjoyed watching us put it on vcu in the Ted and the Cuse on the road. Hope we win the tournament next week, but it’s not the end of the world if we don’t.

And there’s nothing wrong with being ok with a decent at best season. I just want more than a couple decent wins to be satisfied. I want tournament births regularly. Especially in a crap league in a down year. Our SOS is a laughing stock and as you mentioned, we were never truly going to be a bubble team. Not even close. I just want more from my team. It’s tournament or bust at this point under this coach, with this group of guys.
03-09-2019 11:14 PM
ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

(03-09-2019 11:14 PM)LetsGoODU Wrote:  

And there’s nothing wrong with being ok with a decent at best season. I just want more than a couple decent wins to be satisfied. I want tournament births regularly. Especially in a crap league in a down year. Our SOS is a laughing stock and as you mentioned, we were never truly going to be a bubble team. Not even close. I just want more from my team. It’s tournament or bust at this point under this coach, with this group of guys.

I’m not grinding the Jones axe. This has been a banner season so far and that is undeniable. Although not winning the tournament would certainly be disappointing.
03-09-2019 11:24 PM
Advertisement

12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(03-09-2019 11:24 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(03-09-2019 10:55 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  BJ and Ahmad have said they will be friends for life - and they live together. But, yeah, they’re not tight. Keep going with your presumptions.

I’m not grinding the Jones axe. This has been a banner season so far and that is undeniable. Although not winning the tournament would certainly be disappointing.

May be you should. Only couple of decent wins this season if you even want to call them decent, Cuse and VCPoo and the list stops there. There is a good chance we might not get past Latex Bullfrogs in the second round of tourney. What is it, six years and all he had to show for is a NIT semifinal and that one and done Vegas 16. Tourney or leave should be it for JJ.
03-10-2019 12:00 AM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

If we lose 3 in a row or 3 of our last 4 games in this, year 6, of jj’s tenure, especially with the league being THIS down and wide open to be won, we will seriously never get a better chance under JJ.

If you can’t make the tourney this year, with 2 senior leaders in the backcourt, it just isn’t going to happen.

JJ has had more than enough time.

Having your team collapse at this point in the season is absolutely inexcusable and it looks like that is exactly what we are doing.
03-10-2019 12:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mo Blue Den You Offline
1st String

(03-09-2019 11:24 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  
(03-09-2019 10:55 PM)ODUDJ96 Wrote:  BJ and Ahmad have said they will be friends for life - and they live together. But, yeah, they’re not tight. Keep going with your presumptions.

Just because we’ve won 23 games doesn’t make our season a banner year. As someone else noted we have 2 good wins over VCU and CUSE and VCU wasn’t even playing their toughest ball yet when we stole that one. Looking at their defense now, we probably wouldn’t score more than 55 against them so please save that rubbish.

Keep burning the good stuff man, I can tell your eyes are glazed over.
03-10-2019 06:46 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Lol, people are arguing whether two guys like each other based off body language on the court. Maybe step back and realize that is comical.

The last 2 games sucked. I think we got a good draw in the tourney.

Had to pin it on one guy, but this is all BJ. He is playing like he did the first few games. Hes a senior leader and its almost impossible for us to win when he plays badly.

Edit: Green was off too. Its probably more accurate that 2 out of the top 3 need to play well
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2019 08:02 AM by Gilesfan.)
03-10-2019 07:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.