RE: Take your mind off FTs
Thanks for sharing this
03-08-2019 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
1. This would really benefit the lower members of the league, which in turns boosts the entire conference. Despite it not having much direct benefit for us since we are already financially in the best spot in the league, it would help the league as a whole so I support it.

2. I highly doubt our commissioner would do something positive like this. There hasn't been much going on that proves that this commissioner should be taken seriously.

3. I find it funny(?) in a sad way that their conference championship is on ESPN and the tournament is on ESPN+ while we have a combination on ESPN+, Stadium, and CBS Sports.
03-08-2019 01:00 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
The SoCon is a better run league. I truly cant understand how Judy is still employed. Its a complete travesty what CUSA has become.
03-08-2019 01:11 PM
Advertisement

ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(03-08-2019 01:11 PM)monarx Wrote:  The SoCon is a better run league. I truly cant understand how Judy is still employed. Its a complete travesty what CUSA has become.

Because the leadership in the conference is afraid to fire a woman. I have actually had the opportunity to say to one such person that it would actually serve to prove true equality to fire a woman doing a poor job just the same as you would a man doing a poor job. Alas, I am positive I had zero impact in saying that (not that that was a surprise) and folks are still concerned about the optics of firing the first ever woman conference president. Maybe in a moment of self realization she will resign.
03-08-2019 02:04 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(03-08-2019 02:04 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 01:11 PM)monarx Wrote:  The SoCon is a better run league. I truly cant understand how Judy is still employed. Its a complete travesty what CUSA has become.

Because the leadership in the conference is afraid to fire a woman. I have actually had the opportunity to say to one such person that it would actually serve to prove true equality to fire a woman doing a poor job just the same as you would a man doing a poor job. Alas, I am positive I had zero impact in saying that (not that that was a surprise) and folks are still concerned about the optics of firing the first ever woman conference president. Maybe in a moment of self realization she will resign.

Today is International Womens day too. Do it right now and watch the internet implode and explode at the same time.
03-08-2019 02:07 PM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2019 02:07 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 02:04 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  

Today is International Womens day too. Do it right now and watch the internet implode and explode at the same time.

We want exposure, right?
03-08-2019 02:39 PM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

This is such an obvious common sense solution. The miracle is that they got all the school presidents to sign off on it.
03-08-2019 02:53 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

Y'all know that if it weren't for Judy, there's a good chance ODU is JMU By-The-Sea — still in the CAA with no reasonable paths to FBS?

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...c0480.html

Quote:Perhaps the most important voice to be heard during those 6-1/2 weeks belonged to Judy MacLeod, executive associate commissioner of C-USA, who made an 18-hour visit to Norfolk on April 23.

She came, as she put it, "under the cover of darkness," on a scouting mission. If she liked what she saw, C-USA Commissioner Britt Banowsky would visit and negotiations would continue. If she didn't, ODU presumably would remain in the CAA.

MacLeod had dinner with Harnage and Selig, and the next day toured ODU's facilities and listened to a presentation from Selig and Broderick.

"I knew the athletic history," she said of ODU. "But until you get there and walk around and get a feel for things, it's hard to judge. You always have questions going in, but every question I asked had already been thoroughly contemplated. There was a plan in place. The commitment to athletics was evident from the facilities and their plans.

"I was very impressed."

Banowsky said that when MacLeod returned to conference headquarters in Irving, Texas, she was enthusiastic: "ODU is pretty cool," he said she told him.

That was a far different reaction than Selig had received elsewhere. He had met with Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher while in New Orleans, then had a meeting on April 12 in Newport News with the A-10's Bernadette McGlade. Both expressed high regard for ODU, but had little interest in adding the school.

Broderick had been thinking of C-USA since early March, when Dr. Martha Saunders, president of the University of Southern Mississippi, visited Norfolk during ODU's re-accreditation process. If you ever want to elevate your football program, she told him, consider Conference USA. Broderick urged Selig to call Banowsky.

Selig called on April 15, and Banowsky was at first cool. The conference was planning to expand by six schools, and he had commitments from five. Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky and Florida Atlantic were eager to be the sixth.

Come see us first, Selig implored. You won't be sorry.

"I didn't know a lot about Old Dominion," Banowsky acknowledged later.

Selig was worried.

"They could have shut down the process right there," he said.
03-08-2019 02:59 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

As for the SoCon's plan, I'm on the wait-and-see train. A lot of things broke right with their core four teams this season, but can they always count on it? I do think there needs to be some sort of intercession with regards to OOC scheduling, but I don't know how that works — do ODU and WKU want to kick in money to help Southern Miss and UTSA get better home games?

The other factor in the SoCon's rise the article touches on and it has nothing to do with league money or scheduling — it's that they've kept their good coaches. But I'd be shocked if Steve Forbes or Wes Miller were around more than a year or two, and while Mike Young has a lot of loyalty and sweat equity built at Wofford, if ever there was the time to kick the tires on a move up, well, he'll never be hotter than he is now.

Let's see where the SoCon is the next couple of years before we lament that CUSA isn't more like them.
03-08-2019 03:06 PM
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

Is it okay if I can be grateful for Judy's buy-in of ODU, but still be dissatisfied with her performance as commissioner?
03-08-2019 03:27 PM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

Is she setting the tone and policy or is she working at the behest of presidents and ADs? I honestly don't know.
03-08-2019 03:33 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-08-2019 03:27 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Is it okay if I can be grateful for Judy's buy-in of ODU, but still be dissatisfied with her performance as commissioner?

Of course — I don't actually have an opinion on her performance as a commissioner, though I think a lot of people want to blame her for things that are either out of her control, like on-court/field performance, or are problems that existed before her (Banowsky was the one who pulled CUSA from ESPN). I tend to thing that, just as presidents tend to get too much credit or blame for the economy, conference commissioners get too much credit or blame for the success of the conference they run. Especially as a G5 commish, there's only so much you can do.

Mostly I was pointing out something that either isn't known or is often forgotten when people complain about conference leadership — that if nothing else, MacLeod's advocacy might have kept ODU from very likely being stuck with no good moves forward.
03-08-2019 03:35 PM
Advertisement

Petey Hodge Offline
All American

The bad memories are still there!!!

[Image: giphy-downsized-large.gif]
Stevie Wonder has a higher FT PCT than us...
03-08-2019 03:39 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(03-08-2019 03:27 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Is it okay if I can be grateful for Judy's buy-in of ODU, but still be dissatisfied with her performance as commissioner?

+ 1 04-cheers
03-08-2019 03:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.