Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I am loving this. Facebook, Google and Amazon Being Threatened Break Up
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Sen. Elizabeth Warren pushes to break up big tech companies like Amazon and Facebook

Twittier, Facebook, Google and other Big Tech companies have attacked conservatives by banning them and other ways, well now guess who wants to break them up. I love it.

Quote:Sen. Elizabeth Warren unveiled a plan Friday to break up massive technology companies such as Amazon and Facebook, the clearest proposal yet in the 2020 presidential race to limit the growth of Silicon Valley.

In a blog post, the Democratic presidential hopeful from Massachusetts wrote that she wants to make "big, structural changes to the tech sector to promote more competition." Those overhauls would include "breaking up" Amazon, Facebook and Google — companies that have come under scrutiny for user data security and consolidation of services such as e-commerce and digital advertising.

"Today's big tech companies have too much power — too much power over our economy, our society, and our democracy," Warren wrote. "They've bulldozed competition, used our private information for profit, and tilted the playing field against everyone else. And in the process, they have hurt small businesses and stifled innovation."

Though Warren's post did not mention Apple, her campaign said the plan would affect the tech behemoth. The company could have to choose between running its App Store or building its own apps, Warren spokeswoman Saloni Sharma said.

Link
03-08-2019 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: I am loving this. Facebook, Google and Amazon Being Threatened Break Up
She makes some interesting points but not sure how you break them up.
03-08-2019 12:00 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(03-08-2019 11:56 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  Sen. Elizabeth Warren pushes to break up big tech companies like Amazon and Facebook

Twittier, Facebook, Google and other Big Tech companies have attacked conservatives by banning them and other ways, well now guess who wants to break them up. I love it.

Quote:Sen. Elizabeth Warren unveiled a plan Friday to break up massive technology companies such as Amazon and Facebook, the clearest proposal yet in the 2020 presidential race to limit the growth of Silicon Valley.

In a blog post, the Democratic presidential hopeful from Massachusetts wrote that she wants to make "big, structural changes to the tech sector to promote more competition." Those overhauls would include "breaking up" Amazon, Facebook and Google — companies that have come under scrutiny for user data security and consolidation of services such as e-commerce and digital advertising.

"Today's big tech companies have too much power — too much power over our economy, our society, and our democracy," Warren wrote. "They've bulldozed competition, used our private information for profit, and tilted the playing field against everyone else. And in the process, they have hurt small businesses and stifled innovation."

Though Warren's post did not mention Apple, her campaign said the plan would affect the tech behemoth. The company could have to choose between running its App Store or building its own apps, Warren spokeswoman Saloni Sharma said.

Link

The lefties running the FAANG companies ain't gonna like that.

Starting to eat their young and the election isn't for another year & a half.
03-08-2019 12:01 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
I don't know about trying to break them up, but you have to address their willingness to collude to stifle competition (actually, not stifle, but totally prevent). They also need to pass strict legislation on the mining and selling of user data that carries ridiculously high fines and minimum, mandatory jail time for executives and Board members. I've seen in the banking sector that if you only fine companies it changes crime into a business decision. If we get caught we'll have to pay X, but by doing it we are making Y. If Y is more than X, they do it. If there were mandatory jail sentences for the decision makers, they wouldn't do it.
03-08-2019 12:09 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(03-08-2019 12:00 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  She makes some interesting points but not sure how you break them up.

She does. Didn't ever imagine I would say that about something she said.
03-08-2019 12:16 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(03-08-2019 12:09 PM)banker Wrote:  I don't know about trying to break them up, but you have to address their willingness to collude to stifle competition (actually, not stifle, but totally prevent). They also need to pass strict legislation on the mining and selling of user data that carries ridiculously high fines and minimum, mandatory jail time for executives and Board members. I've seen in the banking sector that if you only fine companies it changes crime into a business decision. If we get caught we'll have to pay X, but by doing it we are making Y. If Y is more than X, they do it. If there were mandatory jail sentences for the decision makers, they wouldn't do it.

Especially the data mining. There have been too many admissions that "turning off" certain features doesn't limit the data being collected.
03-08-2019 12:17 PM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
WTF I love pochahontas now
03-08-2019 12:36 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(03-08-2019 12:09 PM)banker Wrote:  I don't know about trying to break them up, but you have to address their willingness to collude to stifle competition (actually, not stifle, but totally prevent). They also need to pass strict legislation on the mining and selling of user data that carries ridiculously high fines and minimum, mandatory jail time for executives and Board members. I've seen in the banking sector that if you only fine companies it changes crime into a business decision. If we get caught we'll have to pay X, but by doing it we are making Y. If Y is more than X, they do it. If there were mandatory jail sentences for the decision makers, they wouldn't do it.

I didn't say I disagreed with her, I was just saying I love it is the left wanting to break them up. The liberals at Big Tech have worked hard to legally and illegally support liberal politicians.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019 02:03 PM by usmbacker.)
03-08-2019 01:02 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
I could see Amazon or Google, but how do you break up Facebook? They have one product.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
03-08-2019 01:43 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(03-08-2019 01:43 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I could see Amazon or Google, but how do you break up Facebook? They have one product.

They own instagram and whatsapp, but I agree, I don't see them as much of a threat and actually think they will collapse within a decade.

Google and amazon are nightmares, and twitter allows foreign actors to meddle in our elections while shunning American citizens from their own digital public square.
03-08-2019 01:53 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(03-08-2019 12:00 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  She makes some interesting points but not sure how you break them up.

You have politicians arbitrarily set rules on how the break-ups should be. Doesn't matter it the process makes sense or not.
03-08-2019 02:14 PM
Advertisement

miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(03-08-2019 01:53 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 01:43 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I could see Amazon or Google, but how do you break up Facebook? They have one product.

They own instagram and whatsapp, but I agree, I don't see them as much of a threat and actually think they will collapse within a decade.

Google and amazon are nightmares, and twitter allows foreign actors to meddle in our elections while shunning American citizens from their own digital public square.

That probably gives Facebook over 50% of the social media platforms out there. Not sure who owns Snapchat, but aside from them I cannot think of any other social media companies. So in the case of Facebook, they would be forced to spin off the other 2 if you were going after monopolistic behavior.
03-08-2019 02:27 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(03-08-2019 02:27 PM)miko33 Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 01:53 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

That probably gives Facebook over 50% of the social media platforms out there. Not sure who owns Snapchat, but aside from them I cannot think of any other social media companies. So in the case of Facebook, they would be forced to spin off the other 2 if you were going after monopolistic behavior.

Snap owns Snap.

There are others social media platforms attempting to compete (Minds, Gab, Bitchute), but silicon valley teams up with left-wing media to label them as "nazi" sites, and knee-cap them of their payment processing firms, domain registrars, etc.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019 02:53 PM by Kronke.)
03-08-2019 02:52 PM
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
(03-08-2019 01:53 PM)Kronke Wrote:  They own instagram and whatsapp, but I agree, I don't see them as much of a threat and actually think they will collapse within a decade.

Keep going...

The list of companies facebook owns...
Quote:Parakey
ConnectU
FriendFeed
Octazen
Divvyshot
Friendster patents
ShareGrove
Zenbe
Nextstop
Chai Labs
Hot Potato
Drop.io
FB.com domain name
Rel8tion
Beluga
Snaptu
RecRec
DayTum
Sofa
MailRank
Push Pop Press
Friend.ly
Strobe
Gowalla
Caffeinatedmind
Instagram
Tagtile
Glancee
Lightbox.com
Spool
Acrylic Software
Threadsy
Atlas Solutions
osmeta
Storylane
Hot Studio
Spaceport
Parse
Monoidics
Jibbigo
Onavo
SportStream
Little Eye Labs
Branch
WhatsApp
Oculus VR
Ascenta
ProtoGeo Oy
PrivateCore
LiveRail
WaveGroup Sound
Wit.ai
Quickfire Networks
TheFind, Inc.
Surreal Vision
Endaga
Pebbles
MSQRD (Masquerade)
Two Big Ears
Nascent Objects
Infiniled
CrowdTangle
Faciometrics
Zurich Eye
Ozlo
Fayteq AG
tbh
Confirm
Bloomsbury AI
Redkix
Vidpresso
Chainspace
GrokStyle

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_me...y_Facebook
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019 03:01 PM by q5sys.)
03-08-2019 02:59 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

Other than the 2 I listed, I've never heard of any of that crap.

Google and amazon are the threats. The social media giants just need to stop banning everyone and respect the laws of the country that allowed them to become what they are, and Congress needs to enforce the laws that allow Minds, Gab, and Bitchute to compete.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2019 03:09 PM by Kronke.)
03-08-2019 03:01 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Force people onto MySpace.
03-08-2019 03:02 PM
Advertisement

swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(03-08-2019 12:36 PM)Kronke Wrote:  WTF I love pochahontas now

More jobs04-rock
03-08-2019 03:03 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(03-08-2019 03:02 PM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  

Force people onto MySpace.

No, just stop colluding to prevent others from being able to compete.
03-08-2019 03:07 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(03-08-2019 02:59 PM)q5sys Wrote:  
(03-08-2019 01:53 PM)Kronke Wrote:  They own instagram and whatsapp, but I agree, I don't see them as much of a threat and actually think they will collapse within a decade.

Keep going...

The list of companies facebook owns...
Quote:Parakey
ConnectU
FriendFeed
Octazen
Divvyshot
Friendster patents
ShareGrove
Zenbe
Nextstop
Chai Labs
Hot Potato
Drop.io
FB.com domain name
Rel8tion
Beluga
Snaptu
RecRec
DayTum
Sofa
MailRank
Push Pop Press
Friend.ly
Strobe
Gowalla
Caffeinatedmind
Instagram
Tagtile
Glancee
Lightbox.com
Spool
Acrylic Software
Threadsy
Atlas Solutions
osmeta
Storylane
Hot Studio
Spaceport
Parse
Monoidics
Jibbigo
Onavo
SportStream
Little Eye Labs
Branch
WhatsApp
Oculus VR
Ascenta
ProtoGeo Oy
PrivateCore
LiveRail
WaveGroup Sound
Wit.ai
Quickfire Networks
TheFind, Inc.
Surreal Vision
Endaga
Pebbles
MSQRD (Masquerade)
Two Big Ears
Nascent Objects
Infiniled
CrowdTangle
Faciometrics
Zurich Eye
Ozlo
Fayteq AG
tbh
Confirm
Bloomsbury AI
Redkix
Vidpresso
Chainspace
GrokStyle

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_me...y_Facebook
The only one of those I've heard of is Instagram.

03-08-2019 03:12 PM
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
(03-08-2019 03:01 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Other than the 2 I listed, I've never heard of any of that crap.

Google and amazon are the threats. The social media giants just need to stop banning everyone and respect the laws of the country that allowed them to become what they are, and Congress needs to enforce the laws that allow Minds, Gab, and Bitchute to compete.

(03-08-2019 03:12 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  The only one of those I've heard of is Instagram.

Thats because most of them got integrated into the front facing offerings of Facebook, Instagram, etc.

A lot of them are back end stuff that helps FB, IG, and the like to operate, datamine, profile, and figure out how to milk more money out of the system.

But there are also a lot that are only used by smaller specific social clusters, that simply haven't been picked up by the average Joe but are largely popular within certain circles.
IG, WhatsApp didn't used to be an everyday thing for most people for a very long time from their creation. IG only had 30 million users when FB bought it in 2012. Look at it now.
03-08-2019 03:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.