Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WAC basketball week 18 (final regular season week)...
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
WAC basketball week 18 (final regular season week)...
This week...

GCU's Michael Finke receives his 2nd WAC POTW...

Thursday's games...
California Baptist @ UT Rio Grande Valley
Grand Canyon @ Utah Valley
Cal State Bakersfield @ Seattle U.

Saturday's games...
UM Kansas City @ Chicago State
California Baptist @ New Mexico State
Cal State Bakersfield @ Utah Valley
Grand Canyon @ Seattle U.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2019 01:38 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
03-04-2019 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
RE: WAC basketball week 18 (final regular season week)...
First POtW award won by a player during GCU/CSUB week was earned by a GCU player against CSUB. It's also the first time in over a month it wasn't earned by a player who faced UMKC/CSU.
03-04-2019 01:36 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

With one week left in the regular season, who do you think is WAC Player of the Year, WAC Coach of the Year, and WAC 1st team?

For WAC Player of the Year, I would say either Milan Acquaah, Jarkel Joiner, or Jake Toolson.

For WAC Coach of the Year, I would say either Chris Jans, Rick Croy, or Lew Hill.

As for WAC 1st team, I think it is anyone's guess. NMSU is obviously the best team in the WAC but no Aggie has stellar numbers. It has been a team effort with 10-12 players contributing every night.
03-05-2019 12:29 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

WAC POY I'd go Joiner and for WAC COY I'd lean towards Hill b/c I'm not sure many thought this team would be close to 20 W's.
03-05-2019 12:43 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(03-05-2019 12:29 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  With one week left in the regular season, who do you think is WAC Player of the Year, WAC Coach of the Year, and WAC 1st team?

For WAC Player of the Year, I would say either Milan Acquaah, Jarkel Joiner, or Jake Toolson.

For WAC Coach of the Year, I would say either Chris Jans, Rick Croy, or Lew Hill.

As for WAC 1st team, I think it is anyone's guess. NMSU is obviously the best team in the WAC but no Aggie has stellar numbers. It has been a team effort with 10-12 players contributing every night.

WAC Player of the Year: Milan Acquaah - He leads the conference in scoring, is second in steals, third in free throw shooting, 8th in assists, 10th in three point shooting and 12th in rebounding.

WAC Coach of the Year: Chris Jans - He has done an amazing of job getting contributions from everyone. There is no "star" on the team but a collection of good players. Somewhat similar to Loyola of Chicago last season.

WAC 1st Team:
Milan Acquaah
Jarkel Joiner
Jake Toolson
Michael Finke
Myles Carter
03-05-2019 02:52 PM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
(03-05-2019 02:52 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 12:29 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  With one week left in the regular season, who do you think is WAC Player of the Year, WAC Coach of the Year, and WAC 1st team?

WAC Player of the Year: Milan Acquaah - He leads the conference in scoring, is second in steals, third in free throw shooting, 8th in assists, 10th in three point shooting and 12th in rebounding.

WAC Coach of the Year: Chris Jans - He has done an amazing of job getting contributions from everyone. There is no "star" on the team but a collection of good players. Somewhat similar to Loyola of Chicago last season.

WAC 1st Team:
Milan Acquaah
Jarkel Joiner
Jake Toolson
Michael Finke
Myles Carter

I would put Levi in for Toolson. Levi is first in assists, first in steals (2nd in ncaa), most minutes played, rebounds are basically the same as Toolson. Toolson is 3rd in scoring and that's about it.
03-05-2019 04:10 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(03-05-2019 04:10 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  

WAC 1st Team:
Milan Acquaah
Jarkel Joiner
Jake Toolson
Michael Finke
Myles Carter

I would put Levi in for Toolson. Levi is first in assists, first in steals (2nd in ncaa), most minutes played, rebounds are basically the same as Toolson. Toolson is 3rd in scoring and that's about it.

Toolson is 3rd in scoring, 1st in three point field goal percentage, 1st in free throw percentage and 3rd in overall field goal percentage. Toolson is too good of a player to be left off the first team.
03-05-2019 05:38 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

WAC 1st Team:
Milan Acquaah
Jarkel Joiner
Jake Toolson
Michael Finke
Myles Carter

Levi also leads the WAC in dirty plays...
03-06-2019 12:06 PM
MidWestMidMajor Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MidwestSchools
(03-05-2019 02:52 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  WAC Player of the Year: Milan Acquaah - He leads the conference in scoring, is second in steals, third in free throw shooting, 8th in assists, 10th in three point shooting and 12th in rebounding.

Those numbers are impressive. From the games I watched, I also think he shows leadership: the other players feed off of his confidence and effort. CBU doesn't give up and battles back, even when down by double digits late in the game. Leadership is something that doesn't show up in the box score but is critical as well for the POY.
03-06-2019 12:39 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(03-06-2019 12:39 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 02:52 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  WAC Player of the Year: Milan Acquaah - He leads the conference in scoring, is second in steals, third in free throw shooting, 8th in assists, 10th in three point shooting and 12th in rebounding.

Those numbers are impressive. From the games I watched, I also think he shows leadership: the other players feed off of his confidence and effort. CBU doesn't give up and battles back, even when down by double digits late in the game. Leadership is something that doesn't show up in the box score but is critical as well for the POY.

I don't disagree that Acquaah is likely to take home the POY, but will challenge the idea that he shows leadership. In two games against GCU, Heading showed way more poise and leadership than what I saw out of Milan. It's all fun and games when you're cooking, which Acquaah unquestionably can, but his attitude and demeanor when he is being shut down is far from anything I would characterize as leadership.
03-06-2019 01:21 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(03-06-2019 01:21 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

I don't disagree that Acquaah is likely to take home the POY, but will challenge the idea that he shows leadership. In two games against GCU, Heading showed way more poise and leadership than what I saw out of Milan. It's all fun and games when you're cooking, which Acquaah unquestionably can, but his attitude and demeanor when he is being shut down is far from anything I would characterize as leadership.

I agree, Jordan Heading is the leader of the CBU team. Acquaah is the best player on the team. But Heading is very respected by his coaches and teammates and he is a 5th year senior. Acquaah brings a feistiness to the team that it needs. He is a bit cocky and he likes to talk. If the team is winning, he is fine. When the team struggles and he is struggling, he gets frustrated and he shows it. Not that unusual for a star player and certainly something that will improve with age and experience.
03-06-2019 02:30 PM
Advertisement

Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
(03-06-2019 12:06 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

WAC 1st Team:
Milan Acquaah
Jarkel Joiner
Jake Toolson
Michael Finke
Myles Carter

You can also tack on conference leader in number of tears created by nmsu fans.
03-06-2019 03:50 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(03-06-2019 03:50 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  
(03-06-2019 12:06 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  

WAC 1st Team:
Milan Acquaah
Jarkel Joiner
Jake Toolson
Michael Finke
Myles Carter

No tears were shed, my friend. When you all took out Ivan in game one, we chalked it up to a hard foul. 3 technicals (2 flagrant fouls) and one instance of a coach going after the opposing coach/players in game 2 equals dirty play.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019 05:01 PM by PojoaquePosse.)
03-06-2019 04:56 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

I haven’t watch much WAC basketball other than who we’re playing. As far as first team WAC only 2 players have stood out to me. To me Carlos Johnson looked the best. He’s fast, talented and athletic. Acquaah stood out because he put up a bunch of points on us. He didn’t seem to impressive as he looked slow and not as athletic for a guy to put up that much. Other than those 2 as a whole conference no one stood out to me.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019 09:34 PM by Trod0.)
03-06-2019 05:06 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

(03-06-2019 04:56 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  
(03-06-2019 03:50 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  
(03-06-2019 12:06 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  Levi also leads the WAC in dirty plays...

No tears were shed, my friend. When you all took out Ivan in game one, we chalked it up to a hard foul. 3 technicals (2 flagrant fouls) and one instance of a coach going after the opposing coach/players in game 2 equals dirty play.

Exactly, no tears were shed. Could honestly careless about you guys. We’re just calling it the way you guys play us. Then again that’s what lesser teams have to revert to.
03-06-2019 05:10 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(03-06-2019 05:06 PM)Trod0 Wrote:  I haven’t watch much WAC basketball other than who’s we’re play. As far as first team WAC only 2 players have stood out to me. To me Carlos Johnson looked the best. He’s fast, talented and athletic. Acquaah stood out because he put up a bunch of points on us. He didn’t seem to impressive as he looked slow and not as athletic for a guy to put up that much. Other than those 2 as a whole conference no one stood out to me.

I agree about Carlos Johnson. He was the most impressive player in the WAC that I saw this season. He could be a problem in the tournament if he gets going. I just didn’t think his numbers were worthy of first team All-WAC. But he should be on the WAC 2nd team.
03-06-2019 06:58 PM
Advertisement

ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(03-06-2019 02:30 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(03-06-2019 01:21 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

I agree, Jordan Heading is the leader of the CBU team. Acquaah is the best player on the team. But Heading is very respected by his coaches and teammates and he is a 5th year senior. Acquaah brings a feistiness to the team that it needs. He is a bit cocky and he likes to talk. If the team is winning, he is fine. When the team struggles and he is struggling, he gets frustrated and he shows it. Not that unusual for a star player and certainly something that will improve with age and experience.
Personally, I think it is best to look at conference only stats since then you are comparing apples to apples. When that is done, Acquaah, does not look that good. In fact, one could argue that he is not even the best player on his own team. Jordan Heading leads Acquaah in rebounding, field goal percentage, and 3-Pt field goal percentage. The two are about even in terms of scoring, assists and free throw percentage. And Heading is far and away the better leader. Acquaah nearly started a brawl after both the SU and UVU games last week and he got easily flustered in both games against GCU. I am certain the WAC will place Acquaah on the all WAC team and perhaps make him POY, but I would not vote for him.
03-06-2019 08:08 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

Totally agree here. Chris Jans should be the COY in the WAC. No contest whatsoever. A few plays here or there (both GCU games, CSUB game, UTRGV game) and the WAC picture would look very different. Jans kept his cool and kept his team focused. Great coach.
03-06-2019 08:16 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(03-06-2019 08:08 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  Personally, I think it is best to look at conference only stats since then you are comparing apples to apples. When that is done, Acquaah, does not look that good. In fact, one could argue that he is not even the best player on his own team. Jordan Heading leads Acquaah in rebounding, field goal percentage, and 3-Pt field goal percentage. The two are about even in terms of scoring, assists and free throw percentage. And Heading is far and away the better leader. Acquaah nearly started a brawl after both the SU and UVU games last week and he got easily flustered in both games against GCU. I am certain the WAC will place Acquaah on the all WAC team and perhaps make him POY, but I would not vote for him.

That is ridiculous. Acquaah leads the team in scoring, assists, steals and is second in rebounding. When CBU beat NMSU, he had 36 points. Heading was second in scoring with 14. Acquaah also had seven rebounds, tied for team high in that game with De'jon Davis, who leads the conference in rebounding. CBU is not in that game without Acquaah.

Acquaah came into the season as the only player on the roster with D1 experience, as he played last season for Washington State. He won their first D1 game on the road at Oral Roberts with a 40 foot jumper at the buzzer. Ever since that NMSU game, defenses have been focused on slowing him down and that has opened up opportunities for his teammates. Heading never gets double teamed and gets open looks because of Acquaah.

Heading is loved at CBU. But everybody on the team and in the stands knows who the best player on the team is. Everybody can have an opinion on who the POY is, but Acquaah is first team All-WAC and Heading is not. I would not be surprised if Heading made the second team.

Acquaah was not the cause of the scuffle after the Seattle game. That was Myles Carter. The scuffle after the UVU game was strange because everybody was shaking hands and I was watching Mark Pope congratulate the CBU players on a good game when something got started. From where I was at, I could not see what started it and it was over very quickly, unlike the Seattle incident. I suspected that Acquaah was in the middle of that brief UVU scuffle, but I could not see him.
03-07-2019 01:39 AM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

We going to bring up the NMSU game where CBU needed Milan to be next to perfect along with everyone that got on the court that night. CBU was 32-36 from the FT line which is great Acquaah was 13-13 from the line. Aggies missed more shots than CBU made. I game doesn't automatically qualify you for the WAC POY. I understand he has had other good games but he has tailed off as the WAC season kept going.

Acquaah should be on WAC 1st team though.

He also has a tendency for being a part of scuffles with SU, UVU, and GCU (You don't go into the other teams huddle then tell the coach to shut the F@&k up when told to get out of their huddle). He's cocky and brash and confident in his abilities.

As it goes for D1 experience they have 4 guys on this current roster with D1 experience Milan, Pirog, Henn, and Flavors Jr who is a RS.

I'd give the POY award to Joiner b/c he has scored 15 or less 3 time to Acquaah's 4 and head to head their teams are 1-1 but Joiner has out performed Acquaah each time.
03-07-2019 02:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.