Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Lower NCAA Seed w/ Great Location vs. Higher NCAA Seed w/ Poor Location
Bookmark and Share
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
Lower NCAA Seed w/ Great Location vs. Higher NCAA Seed w/ Poor Location
Right now (and for some time) ESPN has UC projected as a 7 seed playing in Columbus for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament with the possibility of playing in Louisville for the 2nd weekend.

While the odds of getting those dream locations are likely slim with all the remaining variables in play, would you sacrifice an AAC regular season and tournament title (either of which would likely mean we earn a higher seed) in exchange for a massive home court advantage as a lower seed?

03-02-2019 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OldenburgCat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Lower NCAA Seed w/ Great Location vs. Higher NCAA Seed w/ Poor Location
(03-02-2019 01:43 PM)BrooklynRocket Wrote:  Right now (and for some time) ESPN has UC projected as a 7 seed playing in Columbus for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament with the possibility of playing in Louisville for the 2nd weekend.

While the odds of getting those dream locations are likely slim with all the remaining variables in play, would you sacrifice an AAC regular season and tournament title (either of which would likely mean we earn a higher seed) in exchange for a massive home court advantage as a lower seed?

Yes, because I'm already going to go to the Columbus games that weekend and I hope to see us play in person.

03-02-2019 02:01 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
No. There isn’t going to be a home court advantage. Those schools on 1 and 2 line playing in Columbus have huge fan bases.

03-02-2019 02:01 PM
bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

Let me add. I would take a 7 in Columbus if the 10 seed was out of region and the 2 was Tennessee or the Michigan schools. Don’t want UK.

I would rather win out and get somewhere in 3 through 6 range.

03-02-2019 02:04 PM
Advertisement

mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(03-02-2019 02:04 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Let me add. I would take a 7 in Columbus if the 10 seed was out of region and the 2 was Tennessee or the Michigan schools. Don’t want UK.

I don't want to be at any location UK is at. Too many Bluenecks will spend their last nickel to go watch their Kayuts for UC to carve out any kind of homecourt.

03-02-2019 04:43 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(03-02-2019 04:43 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(03-02-2019 02:04 PM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Let me add. I would take a 7 in Columbus if the 10 seed was out of region and the 2 was Tennessee or the Michigan schools. Don’t want UK.

I don't want to be at any location UK is at. Too many Bluenecks will spend their last nickel to go watch their Kayuts for UC to carve out any kind of homecourt.

speaking of UK...they got curb-stomped today at TN.

03-02-2019 07:08 PM
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
NOSTRADAMUS

03-17-2019 08:35 PM
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
Lol

03-17-2019 09:06 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

Given the way the NCAA distributes tickets for the first weekend, I can't imagine many seats will be available for one school to get a dominant crowd in the house. If UC had an evening game, it might mean that the losers from earlier in the day would be selling their remaining ticket strips as they departed.

And if Cowtown locals purchased lots of tickets, they'll probably have their B10 goggles on and pull for Iowa. Don't underestimate the Iowa turnout either; big school with a large, loyal fan base.

But on the whole, being 100 miles away from Cincinnati for the opening round games still helps. Better than dealing with three hour time changes, altitude in the Rockies and travel issues that can impact performance.

03-18-2019 07:40 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

Holy cow! Columbus vs Iowa and Tennessee, then play in Louisville in round 2!

Too bad the first Louisville game might be against Purdue, but we've curb stomped Purdue the last 5 times we played them in either football or basketball. And all the other potential opponents in Louisville are from way far away (Villanova, Virginia, Wisconsin, Kansas State)

03-18-2019 08:57 AM
Advertisement

levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-18-2019 07:40 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Given the way the NCAA distributes tickets for the first weekend, I can't imagine many seats will be available for one school to get a dominant crowd in the house. If UC had an evening game, it might mean that the losers from earlier in the day would be selling their remaining ticket strips as they departed.

And if Cowtown locals purchased lots of tickets, they'll probably have their B10 goggles on and pull for Iowa. Don't underestimate the Iowa turnout either; big school with a large, loyal fan base.

But on the whole, being 100 miles away from Cincinnati for the opening round games still helps. Better than dealing with three hour time changes, altitude in the Rockies and travel issues that can impact performance.

UC played Illinois in Columbus in 2004. They got throttled, and it seemed like a hostile crowd.

It's nice that the team doesn't have to travel far, but I don't expect it to be a big home court advantage.

03-18-2019 09:19 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(03-18-2019 09:19 AM)levydl Wrote:  
(03-18-2019 07:40 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Given the way the NCAA distributes tickets for the first weekend, I can't imagine many seats will be available for one school to get a dominant crowd in the house. If UC had an evening game, it might mean that the losers from earlier in the day would be selling their remaining ticket strips as they departed.

UC played Illinois in Columbus in 2004. They got throttled, and it seemed like a hostile crowd.

It's nice that the team doesn't have to travel far, but I don't expect it to be a big home court advantage.

this

I expect local OSU fans to be B10 fans and so if UC is going to have a home court, it will be because throngs of UC fans make the journey north to Cbus.

03-18-2019 10:40 AM
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:

Yep some locals were sitting behind me after Illinois beat UC and said "another example of Big 10 dominance". Which was annoying and we know how the Big 10 underperforms often in the tourney.But i couldnt say anything because UC played so poorly.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 01:08 PM by BearcatDave.)
03-18-2019 01:08 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2019 01:08 PM)BearcatDave Wrote:  

Yep some locals were sitting behind me after Illinois beat UC and said "another example of Big 10 dominance". Which was annoying and we know how the Big 10 underperforms often in the tourney.But i couldnt say anything because UC played so poorly.

Heard the same from Illinois fans in Nippert when they scored early on UC. Thankfully, the Bearcats routed them that day and kept the orange and blue corner of Nippert quiet the rest of the afternoon. This notion of "conference dominance" is way overrated in many cases. It's all about the individual teams and matchups on any given day.

03-18-2019 01:18 PM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
(03-18-2019 01:08 PM)BearcatDave Wrote:  

That was the coming out party for a loaded Illinois team that made the NCAA finals the next year. Darren Williams, Luther Head, Dee Brown...those dudes could light it up in a hurry.

UC beat a big ten team the next year in the tournament (Iowa as it were). Actually, the Illini were back at the same location as UC, though in a different Pod in Indy as a 1 seed.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 01:21 PM by bearcatmark.)
03-18-2019 01:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.