Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hatin' on the ACCN revenue
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Hatin' on the ACCN revenue
Here's a Left Coast analysis of projected ACC Network revenues...

Quote:...let’s consider the ACC’s linear network, which launches in the fall.

Revenue projections from the conference, as laid out by former Florida State athletic director Stan Wilcox, show each school receiving a whopping $8 million-to-$10 million initially, with that figure rising to $10 million-to-$15 million once the network is mature.

The Hotline is skeptical of those figures, based on conversations with media industry sources. We’ll calculate 50 cents actual for every dollar projected, then target that figure at the middle of the range laid out by Wilcox.

So half of $12.5 million — the middle of the range of payouts for a mature network — brings us to about $6.25 million per school.

$6.25M/school when it's mature? Dude, seriously?

Someone's way off here - is it him or me? Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019 05:53 PM by Hokie Mark.)
02-20-2019 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Hatin' on the ACCN revenue
(02-20-2019 05:52 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Here's a Left Coast analysis of projected ACC Network revenues...

Quote:...let’s consider the ACC’s linear network, which launches in the fall.

Revenue projections from the conference, as laid out by former Florida State athletic director Stan Wilcox, show each school receiving a whopping $8 million-to-$10 million initially, with that figure rising to $10 million-to-$15 million once the network is mature.

The Hotline is skeptical of those figures, based on conversations with media industry sources. We’ll calculate 50 cents actual for every dollar projected, then target that figure at the middle of the range laid out by Wilcox.

So half of $12.5 million — the middle of the range of payouts for a mature network — brings us to about $6.25 million per school.

$6.25M/school when it's mature? Dude, seriously?

Someone's way off here - is it him or me? Thoughts?

Well ... after reading that exercise ...

He halves what the ACC linear network will get. Then he only shaves 20 percent off what an equity sale for the PAC will get. WHILE EVEN POINTING OUT that there is a content problem in that equity sale.

So ... I'd say he's full of unicorns and rainbows, hoping like hell the PAC doesn't hopelessly fall behind it's counterparts.

If the ACC projections are realized ... the ACC would be solidly in third, and not to far off the leaders.

Who the hell knows what will happen when all is said and done.
02-20-2019 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Wilner gave us this gem of a prognostication...

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status...80128?s=21

Predicting the future isn’t one of his gifts.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2019 08:48 PM by CardinalJim.)
02-20-2019 08:46 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-20-2019 08:46 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Wilner gave us this gem of a prognostication...

I would refute him, but my crystal ball is in the shop. Until then, his guess is as good as anybody's.
02-20-2019 09:42 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(02-20-2019 09:42 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(02-20-2019 08:46 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Wilner gave us this gem of a prognostication...

I would refute him, but my crystal ball is in the shop. Until then, his guess is as good as anybody's.

The tweet predicts an imminent invitation of UConn from the ACC, so 0 for 1.

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed so far with respect to the ACCN, so the potential range of values is large. There are clearly a number of markets in which it should have no problem clearing at full price and it has value as a national network with Duke basketball, Clemson football, etc. The tough negotiations are going to be over which markets will pay full price, what that price will be, which markets will be at some national price, what that price will be, and whether there are markets with some compromise rate.
02-21-2019 09:13 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Wilcox was in the meetings. I'm sure he wants to make the ACCN sound as good as possible. However, it would be suicide to grossly inflate the numbers.

Mature is not defined so it could take 30 years to be "mature." If so $15 million is very low for a 2050 payout.

He is basing his comments on the P12N. The P12N made several strategic errors that turned out to be fatal. There just isn't enough quality content or demand to fill 6 regional networks. If you subtract the expense and other headaches of the 6 regional networks, the P12N would have more quality content and the financials would look much better.
02-21-2019 09:40 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-21-2019 09:13 AM)orangefan Wrote:  

The tweet predicts an imminent invitation of UConn from the ACC, so 0 for 1.

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed so far with respect to the ACCN, so the potential range of values is large. There are clearly a number of markets in which it should have no problem clearing at full price and it has value as a national network with Duke basketball, Clemson football, etc. The tough negotiations are going to be over which markets will pay full price, what that price will be, which markets will be at some national price, what that price will be, and whether there are markets with some compromise rate.

this is why you shouldn't take drugs!
02-21-2019 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(02-21-2019 09:40 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  Wilcox was in the meetings. I'm sure he wants to make the ACCN sound as good as possible. However, it would be suicide to grossly inflate the numbers.

Mature is not defined so it could take 30 years to be "mature." If so $15 million is very low for a 2050 payout.

He is basing his comments on the P12N. The P12N made several strategic errors that turned out to be fatal. There just isn't enough quality content or demand to fill 6 regional networks. If you subtract the expense and other headaches of the 6 regional networks, the P12N would have more quality content and the financials would look much better.

Wilcox is gone from FSU (he knew he was no longer welcome).

Part of his issues were the books were a total mess. FSU hired an AD with 0 athletic experience but focused on accounting to fix it.

I hope he isn't the focus of ACCN projections. Would love to hear it from our commish.
02-21-2019 10:52 AM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

(02-21-2019 09:40 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  Mature is not defined so it could take 30 years to be "mature." If so $15 million is very low for a 2050 payout.

Agreed with this ... how do you define "mature"?

Could it mean having each member institution fully equipped with state of the art studio production capability?

I think this is certainly part of it. And one of the reasons the ACC put this up front, unlike the SEC, which added these things a couple of years after their network launch.

Mature means other things too, but in terms of revenue generation, I think this is an open question. With the ACC launching a network after the SEC and Big Ten and PAC 12, I think the potential for a shortened learning curve is great.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2019 11:13 AM by Pervis_Griffith.)
02-21-2019 11:12 AM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
I'm really curious to see where this goes. $8-10M INITIALLY seems awfully aggressive. Considering that hasn't been really confirmed anywhere, it wouldn't shock me (as Nole said) that Wilcox misspoke (threw out what were really long term projections as "initial") or was just mistaken.

That said, "sources" really haven't really aggressively walked that number back as much as I might have thought either, and it's been bandied about enough.

The thing is, the ACC clearly likes to sandbag everything, so that when results come out, even expected or mediocre results can be treated like huge victories. They could have probably simply said years earlier that an ACC Network was coming, but it was going to take some time...but keep the uncertainty going, so that when it IS announced "WOW, we didn't think they could do it! Another big win!!!" instead of "what, why is it going to take two and a half years to get this going?"

I mean, when the ACC signed GORs, there was practically a parade and coronation for Swofford and company to celebrate "WE AREN'T GOING TO BREAK UP ANY FURTHER!!!" What? in normal circumstances, the mere confirmation that you are going to continue to exist isn't exactly a triumph, but because the ACC gives so little, and doesn't address uncertainty, they get the spin they want.

The PAC and the Big 12 are the opposite, they're on the PR offensive all the time, and in the case of the PAC you see what happens when you shout optimistic projections from the rooftops and don't deliver.

The B1G and SEC have a good balance, they work their PR hard and appropriately...more so than the ACC, but they also have some restraint and act like they've been there before. To some extent, that's easy when you sit in the position they're in I guess.

But the ACC's "silence or sandbagging" approach can be incredibly frustrating, because as an ACC fan you get next to nothing in regards to hope and confidence. And it can affect overall coverage, when you trade months and months of nothing or negative press for brief shiny victories. To be fair, it does avoid them falling on their face I guess which is good, but I'd argue the real reason is to keep from anyone being accountable for their promises or claims (again, see the way Larry Scott and the PAC are being ANNIHILATED in their home media, despite still generating bigger payments than the ACC with a league that hasn't been a fraction as successful on the field/court).

Anyway, knowing that's the way the ACC works, I try to read what to expect out of the Network, and I'm not sure. I was a little surprised that there weren't more "sources" to ACC media walking back Wilcox's number. If the ACCN generates say, $4M the very first year, the ACC wants to throw a party about it, so letting that number linger there surprises me some. Is there enough confidence in the ACC office that they might actually be in that neighborhood, that it's not worth trying to walk back?

I guess I'm surprised that we've not seen more comments along the lines of:
"We expect it to be a minor increase, but welcome, and will take a number of years to grow."
"While the SECN was a big profit center out of the box, the BTN had a much longer growth trajectory, and the fact that the PAC Nets are still finding their footing shows that the norm is for these things to take time to show real returns."
"The money is important, but it's really about the exposure. That's how success will be measured."

To me, those are the lines that I would expect from the ACC's playbook, so they could make a $4-5M payout sound like they've landed a man on the moon. I don't know how to read that. Optimistically, maybe there is confidence that the projections show they don't have to sandbag that much...that the number will be impressive enough on their own. Pessimistically, maybe they honestly don't know enough how it will go (hard to believe this close out) to know what to be saying now. Or maybe it's looking so rough that there's nothing to be said to make it better. One thing is for sure, the ACC always errs on the side of saying nothing, of restricting information, so maybe it's just that if things aren't clear yet.

There are some positives. I always thought that the strategy of waiting until it could be included in the overall Disney deals with carriers was genius, as opposed to having to get it "added" like the SEC network, or like the PAC or BTN has to be added independently. To me, that definitely shakes up a lot of the takes that "Well, the SEC gets $1.25, so clearly the ACC is only worth $0.45 per home" and that kind of thing. Because it's being packaged in the overall Disney deal, what the ACC gets isn't really primarily a matter of how much it's sports are "worth" vis a vis the BTN or SECN, it's worth what ESPN can get them to pay for it in their overall negotiations. Nothing would really shock me here, if the ACC was much closer to the SEC than they deserve. I kind of expect that maybe Disney shoot to get the SECN a raise, and the ACC close to what the SEC launched for. I don't really have a basis for that other than that I fully believe that ESPN is trying to make money on this. But that's just an uneducated guess...maybe they're giving it away for a nickel, I don't know.

I think that carriage strategy is playing out at least (although we have no idea about the money). So far, we know that they've gotten carriage with the OTT services, then Optimum in NYC, and Verizon. That's everything that's been open so far, and the ACC Network was picked up with nary a word of resistance. Both the Optimum and Verizon deals were done without a real programming standoff, a minimum of conflict in the press, and were completed easier than expected. Each was considered a "win" for Disney, who got all the channels they wanted carried, and got significant increases in their fees. ATT also comes up before the ACCN launches, and I would expect the same, as these deals for the basis for further deals, and ESPN obviously has a working strategy with this stuff.

HOWEVER...from all I can tell, DirectTV, Comcast, and Dish are not up for Disney renewal before the launch. Unless I misunderstand, these WILL have to be direct add-ons. And these are very, very big. Frankly, despite the ease at which they've been picked up so far, if they don't land these, it's going to be a big problem. You might have a situation where the ACC doesn't get carriage on these for a couple years until their Disney deal is due. That would be unfortunate both for revenue and for optics. I think it's very important to the ACC that they have full carriage. I'm sure there's a strategy here to get added on these carriers, but that's the thing to watch. Hopefully the strategy won't just be to count on hundreds of thousands of subscribers threatening to cancel if they don't get access to the VT-Wake Forest game.

The other thing about adding on to those carriers, is it kind of cuts against the "ACC Network is worth what ESPN can get for it by holding the Disney Channel hostage" strategy I referred to earlier. If there's a factor that does cause the ACC to get, like 30 cents on the dollar to what the SECN gets, it comes into play here. From my understanding, these contracts can have "most favored" clauses that means if you later give the channel another provider for less money, then the contracted price with the original company reverts down to the price you just gave. That's what's screwed the PAC and DirectTv. They can't just cave to DirectTV now and give them the PAC for a pittance just to get it on...because once they do, all the other deals they DID ink will revert to the DirectTV price. If they're getting $0.75 from ATT now, and give it to DTV for $0.25, ATT and all their other contracts drop to 0.25. So they're stuck.

Which I think means, ESPN couldn't overprice the ACCN fee too much in their Optimum and Verizon negotiations, because it's still got to be a price that Comcast and DirecTV are willing to add ad hoc. Even if they could force Verizon to eat $1.50 for the ACCN, they wouldn't because it would never get added at that price with Comcast. So I think that still means that the ACCN will get a fraction of the SECN on a per home basis, I just don't know HOW small a fraction, if it will be closer to 80% or closer to 40%.

So I think there are reasons to be optimistic, and reasons to be very cautious. At this point, I personally don't think that the ACCN will be an outright failure, i.e. not get carriage, not generate any money. I also am far from buying into the rosiest of projections. Right now, I'm about:

2% - Abject failure
23% - Most modest possible baseline to claim "success" ($2-3M?)
65% - Moderate for meaningfull success ($5-6M?)
10% - Wildly successful ($9-10M?) (yes, "so you're saying there's a chance")

Important disclaimer...I don't know sh-t really. This isn't my business or anything. While I don't think I've materially misrepresented anything as a fact, my CONCLUSIONS from that are just my own, and could and probably will be wildly wrong. I'm not saying this is how YOU should think about it...this is just what I'M thinking about it.

And one more thing...something that I can't believe just occurred to me while I was typing that. I know the Disney deal with ATT comes up this fall. I've been counting that ATT thing as a totally different animal than DirectTV, forgetting the fact that ATT bought DirectTV. I have to still imagine they are separate negotiations, as ATT would have inherited DTV's contracts. If ATT coming up meant that DirectTV was also up this year...I would push more % into the optimistic projections. But I don't think that's how it's going to work.

But I wonder if it will come into play, for the better or worse, that theoretically ATT could use picking up the ACCN on DTV as a bargaining chip, or ESPN leverage the ATT negotiations to get DTV to pick up the ACCN as part of the package.

I literally have no idea what to think of that.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2019 12:58 PM by Lou_C.)
02-21-2019 12:52 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
Yes, the ACC office sandbags everything. It is the cultural way of things in the Piedmont Triad.
02-21-2019 01:34 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

Actually his wasn't, it has already happened and he was wrong, as Jon is quite often
02-21-2019 02:02 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(02-21-2019 02:02 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

Actually his wasn't, it has already happened and he was wrong, as Jon is quite often

I wasn't referring to a 2012 prediction about UConn. I was referring to his estimate of the profitability of the ACCN. Nobody knows yet how that will play out.
02-21-2019 03:16 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

Just a coincidentally, this came out today. Lines up pretty well with my take, although still no real speculation on the money.

https://floridastate.rivals.com/news/tv-...n-expected

But interesting that he was originally very negative on it and has flipped to predicting success. I've pretty much always been the same, cautiously optimistic, but with realistic expectations. I don't think that anything has changed THAT dramatically.

I'd chock it up to the "death of ESPN/death of cable" rhetoric that was overblown. The idea that cable providers were just going to start jettisoning ESPN or whatever. I suspect any surprise here really is less about the ACC Network, it's really about the fact that people didn't expect Disney to get deals done, and favorable deals at that, with cable companies as easily as they have. But that doesn't surprise me all that much at all.
02-21-2019 04:50 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

Exclamation RE: Hatin' on the ACCN revenue
(02-21-2019 04:50 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  Just a coincidentally, this came out today. Lines up pretty well with my take, although still no real speculation on the money.

https://floridastate.rivals.com/news/tv-...n-expected

But interesting that he was originally very negative on it and has flipped to predicting success. I've pretty much always been the same, cautiously optimistic, but with realistic expectations. I don't think that anything has changed THAT dramatically.

I'd chock it up to the "death of ESPN/death of cable" rhetoric that was overblown. The idea that cable providers were just going to start jettisoning ESPN or whatever. I suspect any surprise here really is less about the ACC Network, it's really about the fact that people didn't expect Disney to get deals done, and favorable deals at that, with cable companies as easily as they have. But that doesn't surprise me all that much at all.

Great stuff, Lou (and an excellent post above as well).
02-21-2019 08:02 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(02-21-2019 12:52 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  I'm really curious to see where this goes. $8-10M INITIALLY seems awfully aggressive. Considering that hasn't been really confirmed anywhere, it wouldn't shock me (as Nole said) that Wilcox misspoke (threw out what were really long term projections as "initial") or was just mistaken.

This is around what the SEC Network generated for SEC member in its first full year, and indeed I think it is a bit less. Remember, ESPN launched the SEC Network with almost full distribution from Day One. That is ESPN's goal with respect to the ACC Network.

The SEC Network has been a massive success for ESPN. In an environment with slipping subscriber numbers and ad revenues, the SEC Network has provided offsetting gains. ESPN is tremendously anxious to repeat that success and will put maximum effort into achieving a similar result with the ACC Network.

The SEC Network did benefit from the fact that ESPN's contracts with most of the major carriers were up for renegotiation at the time it was launched, and ESPN was able to exert maximum leverage as a result. Unfortunately, it is not clear to me that ESPN will be in the same position in 2019.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2019 09:04 AM by orangefan.)
02-22-2019 08:58 AM
Advertisement

Lou_C Offline
1st String

(02-22-2019 08:58 AM)orangefan Wrote:  
(02-21-2019 12:52 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  I'm really curious to see where this goes. $8-10M INITIALLY seems awfully aggressive. Considering that hasn't been really confirmed anywhere, it wouldn't shock me (as Nole said) that Wilcox misspoke (threw out what were really long term projections as "initial") or was just mistaken.

This is around what the SEC Network generated for SEC member in its first full year, and indeed I think it is a bit less. Remember, ESPN launched the SEC Network with almost full distribution from Day One. That is ESPN's goal with respect to the ACC Network.

The SEC Network has been a massive success for ESPN. In an environment with slipping subscriber numbers and ad revenues, the SEC Network has provided offsetting gains. ESPN is tremendously anxious to repeat that success and will put maximum effort into achieving a similar result with the ACC Network.

The SEC Network did benefit from the fact that ESPN's contracts with most of the major carriers were up for renegotiation at the time it was launched, and ESPN was able to exert maximum leverage as a result. Unfortunately, it is not clear to me that ESPN will be in the same position in 2019.

I'm actually not sure that was as true with the SEC Network. My understanding is that they had to strike individual deals to pick it up in most cases, but maybe there were some that were up.

I do know that the 2019 launch for the ACC network was specifically coordinated to coincide with as many deals as possible, with Altice (done), Verizon (done), Spectrum and ATT all coming due in late 2018 to 2019.

So far, so good, but I still haven't heard of a single deal yet for the carriers who are not up with Disney, of which there are some. Those usually come much closer to launch. Comcast added the SEC Network in July.

That's what's to watch...whether the ACCN gets Comcast, DirecTV, Dish and others over the summer. I don't think it will necessarily be make or break, because they are going to be on a lot of homes from the jump, and the worst case scenario is probably that they're off those until the next Disney contract. But it will certainly subdue enthusiasm and initial payouts.
02-22-2019 12:29 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(02-22-2019 12:29 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  

I'm actually not sure that was as true with the SEC Network. My understanding is that they had to strike individual deals to pick it up in most cases, but maybe there were some that were up.

I do know that the 2019 launch for the ACC network was specifically coordinated to coincide with as many deals as possible, with Altice (done), Verizon (done), Spectrum and ATT all coming due in late 2018 to 2019.

So far, so good, but I still haven't heard of a single deal yet for the carriers who are not up with Disney, of which there are some. Those usually come much closer to launch. Comcast added the SEC Network in July.

That's what's to watch...whether the ACCN gets Comcast, DirecTV, Dish and others over the summer. I don't think it will necessarily be make or break, because they are going to be on a lot of homes from the jump, and the worst case scenario is probably that they're off those until the next Disney contract. But it will certainly subdue enthusiasm and initial payouts.

I've got a great idea for how to get everybody on board. Duke schedules a home and home basketball games with Kentucky with the first game in Cameron in November 2019, only available on the ACC network. Not likely to happen but that would be a big incentive to sign.
02-22-2019 01:19 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(02-22-2019 01:19 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 12:29 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  

I've got a great idea for how to get everybody on board. Duke schedules a home and home basketball games with Kentucky with the first game in Cameron in November 2019, only available on the ACC network. Not likely to happen but that would be a big incentive to sign.

The ACCN will have enough marque and ranked matchups on without having to put a game like Duke Kentucky on it.
02-22-2019 02:37 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(02-21-2019 03:16 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(02-21-2019 02:02 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

I wasn't referring to a 2012 prediction about UConn. I was referring to his estimate of the profitability of the ACCN. Nobody knows yet how that will play out.

Agreed...good point
02-22-2019 03:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.