Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WETS FM
Bookmark and Share
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
WETS FM
Thought this discussion needed its own thread.

WETS FM is FCC licensed as a noncommercial educational FM station.

WETS FCC Information
02-19-2019 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: WETS FM
(02-19-2019 12:47 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  Thought this discussion needed its own thread.

WETS FCC Information

Exactly. Would increase the listenability of game broadcasts enormously.
02-19-2019 01:04 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

(02-19-2019 01:04 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  
(02-19-2019 12:47 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  Thought this discussion needed its own thread.

WETS FCC Information

Who reimburses athletics for the loss of revenue from VanWagner, SoCon ESPN contract, etc.

Would student sports personalities increase the listenability?
02-19-2019 01:31 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-19-2019 01:31 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  

WETS FCC Information

Who reimburses athletics for the loss of revenue from VanWagner, SoCon ESPN contract, etc.

I was confused as well, student announcers would do a better job > Jay?

Fact is if someone really wants to listen to the ETSU games they can without much effort, if they can't be bothered I doubt putting it on a station most people have never heard of let alone listened to is going to magically increase the audience.
02-19-2019 02:05 PM
Heisman

(02-19-2019 01:31 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  

WETS FCC Information

That's (the reimbursement) a separate, but related question. I think the whole model is wrong. And of course I think there should be a huge increase in (partially subsidized) public radio. 95% of commercial radio is crap, and I think most would agree. Those who don't agree really don't know what they're missing.

This forum can't begin to discuss adequately these funding questions, but I would argue that athletic departments are FAR too big. Does ETSU actually 'need' 14 football coaches (not counting the other associated jobs)? Does ETSU actually 'need' a separate coach *just* for defensive ends? For both inside *and* outside linebackers? I'm just throwing those questions out there - I am NOT trying to throw anyone under the bus, or denigrate those individuals. Does the world need a UT (or Alabama or whoever) with their ultra-massive staffs? I'm saying/arguing that the world could do with about half, or likely far less, of the incredibly expensive infrastructure that revolves around such expensive undertakings.

Now, we know how competition works, and Alabama, or Georgia, et al, will want to 'build' the biggest 'machine' they can in order to win prestige, honor, more money, etc. They want to beat the massive machines of their rivals. It's a free world, and nobody should be able to tell Saban he can't 'build' however big a machine he wants to. Nobody's holding a gun to the head of the fans in that state to make them buy tickets, gear, etc. None of that is news to me, of course. But we, as a society, have taken this stuff too far.

We didn't have ESPN money (or very little) 3 years ago, right? And we 'survived' just fine without it, right? And how much do we get now? Is Scott going to tell us that? Is Iamarino? I'm just sayin' that there should be (and is, whether we recognize it or not) a limit to how big this stuff can get. Do we really "need" JC Honda, or Coke, or whoever, when that can be replaced by more fans, more university interest, more civic involvement, greater building of youth interest, etc., etc.? I'm just asking the questions, and I think they're important questions. Is it not a legitimate question to ask, if the 'power' of the Power 5 conferences is too great? And I'm not speaking for just "the rest of us", but for the sport in general. A golden goose will only get so big before it will quit being the golden goose - and history has shown us over and over again that when that point comes, it will only be recognized in highsight.

As to student sports personalities increasing the listening? Hmmm........don't know. Would depend on the personalities. If one catches some E&H sports broadcasts while trying to catch music on that NPR station, one can see that it's an interesting proposition. More amateurish, of course, but still very workable. Works fine for them.
And.........if I get your point (not sure) are you asking if we'd do away with Jay? I didn't mean that (altho I'm less of a fan of him than many of you (he's certainly WAY better than many, but also just as certainly has his failings)) we'd not have a professional broadcaster. I didn't mean to make everything volunteer or amateur. Just that there's a middle ground. Without knowing the numbers, just guessing, I'd personally be fine with less commercial money and a better broadcasting situation. No doubt about that, from my perspective.

To me, and this isn't exactly analogous, but it does remind me of it, is Ballad/MSHA subsidizing/"sponsoring"/advertising. Do you all know what their budget is for such stuff? It would make you blanche. And now the pace car for Bristol races will be "Ballad Health". I know nearly a dozen people (probably far more, in actuality) who've lost their jobs in this merger (which is not to say I was necessarily anti-merger). That's a digression - or is it? Does ETSU's mission include having a specialized defensive end coach? I could go on and on on this topic. While I think ETSU is a decent steward of their funds, they're far from perfect - and I'm NOT equating them with the largesse, waste, etc. that we all could ascribe to MSHA/Ballad. I'm just sayin' that our dearly beloved institution should be VERY careful about the directions we go in.
02-19-2019 02:12 PM
Heisman

(02-19-2019 02:05 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Fact is if someone really wants to listen to the ETSU games they can without much effort, if they can't be bothered I doubt putting it on a station most people have never heard of let alone listened to is going to magically increase the audience.

Just for clarification.........are you saying that that 104.9 is a station most people have never heard of, or that WETS is such? Surely you're not saying the latter? If so, you're WAY WAY WAY WAY out of touch. If you're saying the former, then yes, I could believe that.
02-19-2019 02:15 PM
Advertisement

brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(02-19-2019 02:15 PM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  
(02-19-2019 02:05 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Fact is if someone really wants to listen to the ETSU games they can without much effort, if they can't be bothered I doubt putting it on a station most people have never heard of let alone listened to is going to magically increase the audience.

Just for clarification.........are you saying that that 104.9 is a station most people have never heard of, or that WETS is such? Surely you're not saying the latter? If so, you're WAY WAY WAY WAY out of touch. If you're saying the former, then yes, I could believe that.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb345

I dont know how accurate this is. I would guess WKOS 104.9 is more popular than WETS.

Edit: link directly from Nielsen with the same info. Should be pretty accurate. That said, non commercial radio may or may not be displayed in this. https://tlr.nielsen.com/tlr/public/ratin...sForMarket
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2019 03:06 PM by brock20.)
02-19-2019 02:36 PM
Stateman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Tennessee
WETS-AM did use students to broadcast games. However you could only pick the signal up on campus. In the early 70’s and 60’s.
02-19-2019 02:55 PM
squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Those who want to listen to the game, find a way. Sudents who want to attend a game at Freedom Hall, find a way.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2019 04:29 PM by squeak.)
02-19-2019 04:14 PM
BucPerson Offline
2nd String

(02-19-2019 02:55 PM)Stateman Wrote:  WETS-AM did use students to broadcast games. However you could only pick the signal up on campus. In the early 70’s and 60’s.

First air date was Feb 24, 1974. Might have done on campus broadcast of games before but don’t remember.
02-19-2019 04:17 PM
Brandon_Keys Offline
Water Engineer

I worked an internship at WETS, while I was with the Buccaneer Sports Network. I'm not sure the students, or the region, is looking for Buc Sports from them. I was the only sports interested journalist in the building for WETS at the time, and ETSU sports were never a talking point.

That doesn't mean people wouldn't welcome it.

I always felt though, that the Buccaneer Sports Network did a great job of bridging student broadcasting with a professional environment. That doesn't come without a passion for teaching sports broadcasting, and also for the university, which Jay clearly has.
02-19-2019 05:13 PM
Advertisement

BucDoctor Offline
All American

Why do folks think that WETS' FCC license is the same as WQUT's? It is utterly amazing to me to see folks discuss a radio station violating its FCC license and the ensuing fines that come with that - rather than discuss how properly licensed stations might fill that desire.

Shouldn't this discussion be how does ETSU supplant the big awringe on the flame thrower know as QUT?

03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2019 05:30 PM by BucDoctor.)
02-19-2019 05:27 PM
Brandon_Keys Offline
Water Engineer

And I agree people will find the games if they really want too. I just dont think WETS would be a good marriage in regards to what their audience is and what they already provide the local community.
02-19-2019 05:30 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

This is an absolutely crazy thread.

1) WXSM is a far better audience for basketball games than WETS would, even if WETS could do it within their current license. There was a year or two that the games were on FM, but it was a weak signal and WXSM was better. And as others have pointed out, anyone can listen to the games anywhere if you wish.

2) To suggest that we don't need corporate partners is silly. Yes, we do need Johnson City Honda, Bojangles, etc. In fact, we need more of them. Those corporate partners, not ticket sales, make up the vast majority of revenue for the athletic department.

3) If a public poll were taken of how many people had ever heard of WETS, I would guess the percentage would be far less than 20%. To be fair, WXSM probably wouldn't be any higher. But most people have never heard of WETS, do not listen to public radio, and have no interest in ever listening to public radio.

4) 20 years from now, I don't think government subsidized radio will exist.

5) Poster's vision of an ideal ETSU athletic department would include a losing team, nobody in the stands, no student engagement, likely no active message board, etc. I much prefer Dr. Noland's and Scott Carter's vision- though they are not perfect either.
02-19-2019 06:04 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
It sounds like "poster" is more interested in fighting the system and the status quo's than being realistic.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2019 08:03 PM by ETSUfan1.)
02-19-2019 08:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
frankenheimer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Purdue, ETSU
WETS is a superb station, but I'd hate to see athletics supplant its regular programming. WETS has programming that other stations just do not offer and it serves an audience that doesn't care for music, talk radio, or sports radio. I anticipate that ETSU athletics will be able to find a commercial radio home for the foreseeable future and would rather that continue.
02-19-2019 08:57 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-19-2019 08:57 PM)frankenheimer Wrote:  WETS is a superb station, but I'd hate to see athletics supplant its regular programming. WETS has programming that other stations just do not offer and it serves an audience that doesn't care for music, talk radio, or sports radio. I anticipate that ETSU athletics will be able to find a commercial radio home for the foreseeable future and would rather that continue.

So.. what does it play? I mean No sports, okay. No talk, okay but no music, what do they do?
02-19-2019 09:23 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(02-19-2019 09:23 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(02-19-2019 08:57 PM)frankenheimer Wrote:  WETS is a superb station, but I'd hate to see athletics supplant its regular programming. WETS has programming that other stations just do not offer and it serves an audience that doesn't care for music, talk radio, or sports radio. I anticipate that ETSU athletics will be able to find a commercial radio home for the foreseeable future and would rather that continue.

So.. what does it play? I mean No sports, okay. No talk, okay but no music, what do they do?

It’s talk radio just not the same kind as the others.
02-19-2019 09:58 PM
Efan Offline
Special Teams

(02-19-2019 09:23 PM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

Discuss things like Schweddy Balls on the Delicious Dish.
02-19-2019 09:59 PM
Bucfreak23 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Bucs
Please make it stop! For the love of humanity make it stop!
02-19-2019 10:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.