ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BOLO - Razor
ODU-FAN Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Old Dominion!
BOLO - Razor
Perhaps I missed them, but I haven’t seen much activity from Razor lately. I’m seriously curious what he thinks about this ODU Men’s team and their chances to make this season special. Be On Look Out (BOLO) for Razor. We’d love to hear from you. 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2019 10:33 AM by ODU-FAN.)
02-18-2019 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU True Blue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: BOLO - Razor
(02-18-2019 10:32 AM)ODU-FAN Wrote:  Perhaps I missed them, but I haven’t seen much activity from Razor lately. I’m seriously curious what he thinks about this ODU Men’s team and their chances to make this season special. Be On Look Out (BOLO) for Razor. We’d love to hear from you. 04-rock

I’m curious if he 100% guaranteed we’d not make the NIT or NCAA earlierbtiis year!
02-18-2019 10:53 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Please stop. Just let him wait in the shadows desperately seeking our next loss.
02-18-2019 10:55 AM
CalODUFan Offline
All American

Let sleeping dogs lie and why poke the bear?
02-18-2019 11:51 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

Razor is a diehard ODU fan. Like many (including myself), he's been dissatisfied with the basketball program over the last few years, and has had no qualms about expressing that dissatisfaction.

Let's take his absence as satisfaction and enjoy the ride for now. At the end of the season (hopefully late March), we'll see if JJ has punched our lists of demands.

(BTW: If Liberty can get a 55 NET by losing to good teams, maybe that needs to be our scheduling gameplan going forward.)
02-18-2019 12:00 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

I fully support Razor and his comments just like anyone else. We are all ODU fans and entitled to our own opinions and input regard discussions. Frankly, sometimes that diversity of opinions causes me to think about things regarding our beloved Monarchs in a different way. I surely hope people can post here without the ridicule or name calling. I would hope we are all better than that. Cheers and Go Monarchs !
02-18-2019 12:04 PM
Advertisement

Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
[Image: giphy.gif]
02-18-2019 12:55 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2019 12:00 PM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  Razor is a diehard ODU fan. Like many (including myself), he's been dissatisfied with the basketball program over the last few years, and has had no qualms about expressing that dissatisfaction.

Let's take his absence as satisfaction and enjoy the ride for now. At the end of the season (hopefully late March), we'll see if JJ has punched our lists of demands.

(BTW: If Liberty can get a 55 NET by losing to good teams, maybe that needs to be our scheduling gameplan going forward.)

I'm not sure what to make of Liberty's NET. They benefit greatly from splitting two games with a top-40 Lipscomb, but their schedule isn't THAT great (1-1 Q1, 2-3 Q2, 1-1 Q3, 16-0 Q4). Other than the Lipscomb win, the best thing you can say about them is they generally win the games they're supposed to -- the only loss lower than Q2 is Austin Peay on a neutral court, and they're 17-8 with a 125 NET, so even that's not far away from being a Q2. As a frame of reference, the once-infallible RPI puts them at 97, 16 spots below ODU's.

The NET is a nice tool but it's also in its first year, and it's going to be weighed against other factors, including that nebulous eye test. That's why Liberty isn't talked about as a serious at-large contender, nifty NET notwithstanding. For that matter, I doubt Lipscomb gets more than a passing glance in the selection committee's conference room, even with a better NET and a better signature win (@TCU).

A curiosity: ODU, Liberty and Lipscomb have a mutual opponent -- Navy. ODU won 67-44, Liberty won 76-58 on the road, and Lipscomb won 107-81. Make of that what you will.

Bottom line: I don't think Liberty having a good NET means that ODU should be scheduling more like them. The Monarchs just have the misfortune of playing the wrong teams at the wrong time (and sometimes getting the wrong results). To wit: This year, St. Joseph's and Northern Iowa are playing well below recent and historical norms, and ODU went 1-2 against them. Meanwhile, Bowling Green, a hapless team that the Monarchs thrashed last season, is top 100 in NET this season. Other than that, I think ODU does a good job scheduling within its constraints.
02-18-2019 01:11 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Liberty is 65 in KenPom too. But, its hard to grasp how they are ranked that high.

They have 3 wins vs. lower than D-1 schools. Best wins are Lipscomp (40) and UCLA (99). Other decent wins in Georgia State and Kent State. Losses to Vandy, Georgetown, Bama, Autin Peay, and Lipscomb.

Lipscomb does seem to have a legitimate resume. WIns vs. TCU (41), Vermont (70...by 25), and Liberty (65). Also SMU (119). Losses are to Bemont (64), Ville (14), Clemson (30), and Liberty (65)
02-18-2019 01:39 PM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(02-18-2019 10:32 AM)ODU-FAN Wrote:  Perhaps I missed them, but I haven’t seen much activity from Razor lately. I’m seriously curious what he thinks about this ODU Men’s team and their chances to make this season special. Be On Look Out (BOLO) for Razor. We’d love to hear from you. 04-rock
Technical foul for taunting. Let's let this one go.
02-18-2019 02:01 PM
bit_9 Offline

Agreed. Why?
02-18-2019 02:06 PM
Advertisement

ODU True Blue Offline
All American

Never questioned his passion and loyalty. It would be great if all of us had the same level of passion and loyalty. Only issue is how he responds to people he disagrees with or those who disagree with him. Never once have I seen someone attack him first. At least never in the personal manner in which he does.
02-18-2019 02:09 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

Kenpom is no better than Sagarin in my opinion. Even though we are winning we are penalized for not being able to blow people out and run up scores. He can use all the statistics he likes, but when teams with 20 plus wins a are below sub .500 teams simply because they lose to higher rated opponents, something is wrong with metrics being used.
02-18-2019 02:12 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

My only issue with Razor is the constantly beating the dead horse of he wants Jeff Jones fired. We all know that, but ALMOST every thread he participates in invariably gets back to this point.
02-18-2019 02:14 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2019 02:12 PM)84Monarch Wrote:  Kenpom is no better than Sagarin in my opinion. Even though we are winning we are penalized for not being able to blow people out and run up scores. He can use all the statistics he likes, but when teams with 20 plus wins a are below sub .500 teams simply because they lose to higher rated opponents, something is wrong with metrics being used.

Everyone loves to have their entertainment quantified, which is why we so eagerly embraced the Sagarin ratings, then the RPI, KenPom and NET. But they've all got flaws, so while it's easier for fans to point to a number and say "look, we're ranked 40 and this other team is ranked 45, how come they're in the NCAAs and we're not?" the calculus that goes into picking tournament fields is more complicated than that.

Take Hofstra. The Pride are having one of their best seasons ever and will be a dangerous 12/13 seed if they win the CAA. But they've got a NET of 58 and an RPI of 50 and I don't see how. They're 1-3 in Q1/2 games and just lost to UNC Wilmington, which is around 250 in both NET and RPI. Their best win, depending on how you measure "best" is either @Charleston (116/76) or home against Northeastern (97/74). Their wins are blah and the rest of their games against good teams (Maryland, VCU), they lost. So how do they rate so much more highly than ODU? I'm sure there's a technical explanation but I don't buy that they're more than 30 NET spots better than the Monarchs.
02-18-2019 02:28 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2019 02:12 PM)84Monarch Wrote:  Kenpom is no better than Sagarin in my opinion. Even though we are winning we are penalized for not being able to blow people out and run up scores. He can use all the statistics he likes, but when teams with 20 plus wins a are below sub .500 teams simply because they lose to higher rated opponents, something is wrong with metrics being used.

We should be penalized for not winning by a higher margin.
02-18-2019 02:29 PM
Advertisement

Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(02-18-2019 02:06 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  Agreed. Why?
If you are asking why let it go, it was a futile attempt asking posters to ignore this thread. I should know better.
02-18-2019 02:49 PM
ODU804 Offline
2nd String

(02-18-2019 01:39 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Liberty is 65 in KenPom too. But, its hard to grasp how they are ranked that high.

They have 3 wins vs. lower than D-1 schools. Best wins are Lipscomp (40) and UCLA (99). Other decent wins in Georgia State and Kent State. Losses to Vandy, Georgetown, Bama, Autin Peay, and Lipscomb.

Lipscomb does seem to have a legitimate resume. WIns vs. TCU (41), Vermont (70...by 25), and Liberty (65). Also SMU (119). Losses are to Bemont (64), Ville (14), Clemson (30), and Liberty (65)

Rest assured none of this really matters. The NCAA's constantly shifting at large standards are designed to generate as many 16-14 (10-10 in conference) ACC/Big 10/Big 12 teams getting in to the tournament as possible. That has become quite clear
02-18-2019 02:54 PM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(02-18-2019 02:09 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Never questioned his passion and loyalty. It would be great if all of us had the same level of passion and loyalty. Only issue is how he responds to people he disagrees with or those who disagree with him. Never once have I seen someone attack him first. At least never in the personal manner in which he does.
I agree with this and no doughty his attacks can be personal and vicious but there is no reason to call him out for not posting when we are winning. For the same reason he shouldn't call us out for not complaining when we are losing.
02-18-2019 02:56 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

(02-18-2019 02:29 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  

We should be penalized for not winning by a higher margin.

So good loss is better than a bad win, that is an old argument that only truly benefits P5 schools
02-18-2019 03:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.