Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Guard Play for Future
Bookmark and Share
Nobody4Prez Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Guard Play for Future
I assume Penny and Mike see that we need to be adding some guards to this next class.

Lomax and Harris are not going to get any taller. They are both good players but the size is too easy for other teams to defend.

I may be wrong but I see them both as spark plug players off the bench in the future.

We need a solid 6'1 point guard and 6'4 shooting guard to be the starters.
02-16-2019 09:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TiminMem23 Offline
All American

RE: Guard Play for Future
(02-16-2019 09:40 PM)Nobody4Prez Wrote:  I assume Penny and Mike see that we need to be adding some guards to this next class.

Lomax and Harris are not going to get any taller. They are both good players but the size is too easy for other teams to defend.

I may be wrong but I see them both as spark plug players off the bench in the future.

We need a solid 6'1 point guard and 6'4 shooting guard to be the starters.

Yep.
02-16-2019 09:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
What did the talking heads call them in the broadcast... "munchkin" guards?
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019 09:51 PM by mapdude.)
02-16-2019 09:51 PM
MtownTigers916 Offline
Tiger PhD

Cal always said something like you need a:
Distributor
Shooter
Slasher
Lomax can be a distributor. Harris needs to grow into a shooter. Jeffries may be able to shoot and slash. And Wiseman can post. I’m most concerned about the shooter and slasher positions next year.
02-16-2019 10:34 PM
cvilletiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: the tigers
[quote='MtownTigers916' pid='15911487' dateline='1550374473']
Cal always said something like you need a:
Distributor
Shooter
Slasher
Lomax can be a distributor. Harris needs to grow into a shooter. Jeffries may be able to shoot and slash. And Wiseman can post. I’m most concerned about the shooter and slasher positions next year.
[/q

Cal forgot to mention Future NBA rookies of the year and maybe an MVP
02-16-2019 10:55 PM
ItsDude Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Distributor....Lomax if he can learn his role..TH would be better option if he could become pass first player....tough change for him.
Shooter...Quinones?....Hardaway, Wingett....need a pure shooter....
Slasher- DJ all day
Post-we have this position covered
02-16-2019 11:34 PM
Advertisement

micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
Jones?
02-16-2019 11:52 PM
ItsDude Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-16-2019 11:52 PM)micman Wrote:  Jones?

Will be a pleasant surprise if he ever makes difference....or even hangs around.
02-17-2019 12:03 AM
shirley temple Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: memphis
I don’t think you guys are looking in the right place. Every comment about these 2 young guards is about offense. Their biggest liabilities, and really any championship level team, is their defense. Neither can contain the guy they are guarding. Lomax is very good at help defense, but man is he getting smoked by his guy. Harris has the quickness to guard, just seems to need refinement. Being small should be an advantage in pressure defense. So far it’s anything but! Defense in the half court is where they need the most improvement
02-17-2019 06:33 AM
Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
(02-16-2019 09:51 PM)mapdude Wrote:  What did the talking heads call them in the broadcast... "munchkin" guards?

He was talking about everyone not named tacko fall.
02-17-2019 09:43 AM
holyterror Online
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2019 06:33 AM)shirley temple Wrote:  I don’t think you guys are looking in the right place. Every comment about these 2 young guards is about offense. Their biggest liabilities, and really any championship level team, is their defense. Neither can contain the guy they are guarding. Lomax is very good at help defense, but man is he getting smoked by his guy. Harris has the quickness to guard, just seems to need refinement. Being small should be an advantage in pressure defense. So far it’s anything but! Defense in the half court is where they need the most improvement

Agree, and I think it'll happen for both of them. With seasoning.
02-17-2019 09:49 AM
Advertisement

uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Their defense will improve. The biggest adjustment from high school to college is the level of defense they have to play.
02-17-2019 09:52 AM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2019 06:33 AM)shirley temple Wrote:  I don’t think you guys are looking in the right place. Every comment about these 2 young guards is about offense. Their biggest liabilities, and really any championship level team, is their defense. Neither can contain the guy they are guarding. Lomax is very good at help defense, but man is he getting smoked by his guy. Harris has the quickness to guard, just seems to need refinement. Being small should be an advantage in pressure defense. So far it’s anything but! Defense in the half court is where they need the most improvement

Yep. I think Harris can be a better defender than Lomax since Harris is about 10x quicker than Lomax. Lomax definitely has better fundamentals but he is just too slow for good defense at the d1 level.
02-17-2019 10:44 AM
shirley temple Offline
Special Teams

(02-17-2019 10:44 AM)memtigbb Wrote:  

Yep. I think Harris can be a better defender than Lomax since Harris is about 10x quicker than Lomax. Lomax definitely has better fundamentals but he is just too slow for good defense at the d1 level.

I e mentioned this before and folks thought I was silly, but lomax runs , walks ; plays on his toes , it’s just his natural way. Makes it very hard to move any direction but forward or up. Sounds ridiculous I know, but watch and u will see it. Hard to defend when your natural motion is forward and up.
02-17-2019 12:22 PM
3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears
(02-17-2019 12:22 PM)shirley temple Wrote:  

I e mentioned this before and folks thought I was silly, but lomax runs , walks ; plays on his toes , it’s just his natural way. Makes it very hard to move any direction but forward or up. Sounds ridiculous I know, but watch and u will see it. Hard to defend when your natural motion is forward and up.

Quote from every coach I have been around in 50 years of basketball:

You can’t play basketball on your heels.

You play basketball on the balls of your feet. Only ones I’ve ever seen that play on their toes are ballet dancers.
02-17-2019 12:33 PM
Keeper Offline
All American

(02-17-2019 12:33 PM)3rdgenerationtiger Wrote:  
(02-17-2019 12:22 PM)shirley temple Wrote:  

Quote from every coach I have been around in 50 years of basketball:

You can’t play basketball on your heels.

You play basketball on the balls of your feet. Only ones I’ve ever seen that play on their toes are ballet dancers.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO! basketball tutus are on the way. Well they will be more masculine than the oversized culottes they wore back in '08.
02-17-2019 01:41 PM
Advertisement

Antonio5fan Offline
All American

I Root For: MemphisTigers

Correct. Alo gets beat consistently off the dribble. When a guard blows by him who has a quick first step he becomes a problem for someone else to pick up, who also usually picks up a foul because of it. Little guy gets a lot of rebounds though. He needs to really work on his shot in the off season and hopefully opens Wiseman for a dunk, but he and Harris have to get those passes in before they get to deep where they almost always run into trouble.
02-17-2019 04:33 PM
Guitarman Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(02-16-2019 09:51 PM)mapdude Wrote:  What did the talking heads call them in the broadcast... "munchkin" guards?

Yeah I heard him say that....what a d**k move
02-17-2019 06:37 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Lomax is figuring out how to manage his drives... He is keeping his dribble alive and probing instead of always 100 mph to the rim
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2019 06:39 PM by macgar32.)
02-17-2019 06:38 PM
Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
Fans think penny wont bring in bigger more talented guards during their 3 more years while here?? He will mix in alos and Harris experience with 1-2 year highly talented guards. Hes building.
02-17-2019 09:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.