Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Condolences from Rocket Nation
Bookmark and Share
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Condolences from Rocket Nation
News says one Aurora victim was an NIU student. So very sorry.
02-16-2019 02:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
RE: Condolences from Rocket Nation
(02-16-2019 02:09 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  News says one Aurora victim was an NIU student. So very sorry.

Thank you.
For NIU fans who hadn't heard, an alumnus was also among the victims. Student Trevor Wehner from Sheridan, IL, was there for his first day as an intern. He was expected to graduate in May with a degree in Human Resource Management.
Alumnus Clay Parks was a 2014 graduate from the College of Business and worked as a human resources manager.
02-16-2019 02:36 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/20...598c79cce2

I came here to post. Sympathies to all.
02-16-2019 02:53 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Thanks H2O. This is getting too common. And only 15 minutes from my house too. So sad.
02-16-2019 02:57 PM
HW58 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU, Cubs
Sadly it almost seems like part of daily life in the U.S. now...
02-16-2019 03:36 PM
Advertisement

FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
Very sad news !!
God bless to the families of the victims, and the loss of one of NIU's own ...
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2019 03:52 PM by FMRocket.)
02-16-2019 03:44 PM
Beach Boy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Thanks UT and EMU fans. The student killed was from a small town 20 minutes from mine. Sounds as if he was a great, great kid.

https://www.mywebtimes.com/2019/02/16/tr...s/aposdnc/
02-17-2019 12:13 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-16-2019 02:57 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Thanks H2O. This is getting too common. And only 15 minutes from my house too. So sad.

That is frightening. I just saw the victim list and then noticed the thread re: 11th year since the shooting at NIU. Somehow it seems worse, Like revictimizing everyone there.
02-17-2019 12:15 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
(02-17-2019 12:13 AM)Beach Boy Wrote:  Thanks UT and EMU fans. The student killed was from a small town 20 minutes from mine. Sounds as if he was a great, great kid.

https://www.mywebtimes.com/2019/02/16/tr...s/aposdnc/

Worked at Tom & Jerrys. Article from Daily Herald:

NIU student killed on first day as intern
By Katlyn Smith (ksmith@dailyherald.com)
Dean Prokos’ family-owned restaurant became the safe haven for one of his delivery drivers in 2008 when the Northern Illinois University student fled a deadly shooting rampage inside his lecture hall and ran to the DeKalb fixture.
Eleven years later, Prokos and his employees at Tom and Jerry’s restaurant again found themselves coping with tragedy this weekend after Trevor Wehner, also a delivery driver and NIU student, was fatally shot on the first day of his human resources internship, along with four other employees, at the Henry Pratt manufacturing warehouse in Aurora.
“He’s one of my top employees,” Prokos said. “We called him our big bear. He had a heart of gold, and everybody loved him. He cared about his job. He cared about his friends.”
Wehner, a Sheridan, Illinois, native, was just three months away from graduation.
When he told his boss about the internship, Prokos thought Wehner, 21, would move on from his college job. Instead, Wehner “threw him for a loop” and told Prokos he was commuting to Aurora during the week and wanted to keep working at Tom and Jerry’s on the weekends.
“He just started an internship, and he was excited about it,” Prokos said Saturday. “And yesterday was his first day. He loved his job so much that he didn’t want to give it up here, so he would commute to Aurora and then he was due to work here this morning, and unfortunately we found out the news late last night, and it’s devastating.”
Wehner had been working at the restaurant for a year and a half before the shooting. He earned the “big bear” nickname because of his athletic stature: standing over 6 feet tall.
“We have a staff of drivers that pretty much are all college kids that are trying to make a quick buck just to support their student activities,” Prokos said. “He was a great athlete as well as a great employee. He was always on time. He was never late. He never complained.”
In 2015, he graduated from Serena High School in LaSalle County as an honor student. He played soccer for three years and baseball and basketball for all four years of high school, his soccer coach and Serena Athletic Director Dean DeRango said.
“He will be remembered as a very special kid,” DeRango said in an email. “He was towards the top of his class in grades and he was one of our better athletes at the time. He worked hard in his sports, and was the type of kid you could push to his limits. Just a fun kid to be around. He enjoyed joking around with his coaches and teammates.”
Two years ago, he graduated from Illinois Valley Community College, receiving presidential honors, before heading to NIU. He made the dean’s list there last fall semester. NIU President Lisa Freeman said in a statement Wehner was due to graduate in May with a degree in human resource management.
Prokos said Wehner had a longtime girlfriend and was looking forward to life after college.
“She thought he was going to go on to bigger and better things, and he said, ‘No, I’m not going anywhere. I’m just going to go try and get a job so we can spend the rest of our lives together.’ But here we are.”
Prokos said NIU officials have extended their condolences to him and his staff. He’s told many of his employees to take the day off as they mourn Wehner.
“We lost a good friend and family,” he said.
He’s still searching for the right words, but he does know he will write a tribute on the Tom and Jerry’s marquee in honor of Wehner and all the victims of the Aurora shooting.
• Daily Herald staff writer Susan Sarkauskas contributed to this report.
02-17-2019 08:39 AM
Advertisement

RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
Our university has suffered enough.
02-17-2019 03:29 PM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Unfortunately, College of Business alumnus Clayton Parks was one of the other victims. Parks graduated in 2014 and worked for Henry Pratt Co. as a human resource manager. He joined the company in November and oversaw human resource operations in Aurora, Hammond, Indiana and Denver, according to an article from the Associated Press.
02-17-2019 11:18 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
Just aweful; thankfully none of the police officers who responded died in the shooting
02-18-2019 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.