Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB: Dukes host Drexel (Thursday, 7pm, College Sports Live)
Bookmark and Share
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
MyBB MBB: Dukes host Drexel (Thursday, 7pm, College Sports Live)
The Dukes, who haven't won a home game in over a month and losers of 6 of our last 7, host the Dragons in a game that will be streamed live via College Sports Live.

http://www.collegesportslive.com/?media=...e6fc2f62e2

Drexel has won 2 of its last 3 and 4 of their last 7. Their 3 losses in that stretch have been very competitive and close margin losses...by 1 at UD, by 6 at W&M, and by 2 home vs Charleston in their last game this past Saturday.

In the previous meeting in Philly, JMU's Mosley scored 25 and Lewis contributed 21 points. Unfortunately, the rest of the team could only muster 22 points in a 73-68 loss. The final margin of only 5 points may be a bit deceiving as Drexel had a 12 pt lead with just under 4 minutes left in the game as well as a 10 pt lead with 49 seconds left.

At 6-7 in the CAA, Drexel currently sits 5th and avoiding the Keener Invite. Splitting at least 1 of 2 in this swing to JMU & Towson places the Dragons in a pretty good position to staying out of Saturday play at the CAAT. Lose them both - and with 2 games left with Hofstra and NE - and they might need some help unless they can pull an upset down the stretch.

I'll be surprised if there are more than 1,300 people in the Convo. But, at least we'll have plenty of room to move around for better viewing of the carnage. And, better viewing of the pep band.

I expect the opening line will be a Pick 'Em or JMU as a slight 1 pt favorite.

Come on, Dukes! 4 of our last 6 are at home. Can win this first one please?
02-13-2019 06:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: MBB: Dukes host Drexel (Thursday, 7pm, College Sports Live)
#278 JMU 8-15 hosting #233 Drexel 11-14 in the CAA pillow fight of the week.
The good news is that one of these crappy teams has to win.
There is more good news. JMU still has a mathematical chance to get out of the Keener round.

The Dukes are facing a Dragon team without Jr. PG Kurk Lee who has only played 6 games due to injury. Last year he was their 2nd leading scorer while being 8th in the CAA for assists. Perhaps it is a time for the Dukes to utilize full court pressure. Perhaps?
If left alone, Drexel runs good half court offense. On the other end, they are a bad, bad defense.

JMU 80
Drexel 79

Free Chicken Nuggets for all 973 fans in attendance!
02-13-2019 07:37 AM
Dukester Offline

(02-13-2019 07:37 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  #278 JMU 8-15 hosting #233 Drexel 11-14 in the CAA pillow fight of the week.
There is more good news. JMU still has a mathematical chance to get out of the Keener round.

The Dukes are facing a Dragon team without Jr. PG Kurk Lee who has only played 6 games due to injury. Last year he was their 2nd leading scorer while being 8th in the CAA for assists. Perhaps it is a time for the Dukes to utilize full court pressure. Perhaps?
If left alone, Drexel runs good half court offense. On the other end, they are a bad, bad defense.

JMU 80
Drexel 79

How did this become the Keener round? I believe Sherm was there too. It's the JMU Invitational.
02-13-2019 08:51 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

I really have absolutely ZERO confidence in predicting any performance from this team. There is really nothing you can count on/hang your hat on.....
- Defense - nah
- Rebounding - nah
- FG shooting - nah
- FT shooting - nah

The troubling/frustrating part is that they can actually do all of these things.......but cannot consistently do any of them.

My guess is that they will win (since they already lost to them) and being they really needed to beat Towson last game, they will probably win this one.

But I would not be surprised if the lost by 10, won by 10, lost by 1, or won by 1.
02-13-2019 08:54 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Regarding FT shooting, Develle Phillips is shooting 37% from the line. 17 of 46. Yikes!

The team is shooting 72.0% from the line. Not great, but not terrible. That ranks #120 in the nation in this week's NCAA stats. Top third.

If you throw out DP's 46 attempts (and 17 makes), the rest of the team is shooting 75.6%, which for reference would be in the top 25 in the nation. Of course, those other team's have their worst FT shooters included in their stats too.
02-13-2019 09:05 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(02-13-2019 09:05 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Regarding FT shooting, Develle Phillips is shooting 37% from the line. 17 of 46. Yikes!

The team is shooting 72.0% from the line. Not great, but not terrible. That ranks #120 in the nation in this week's NCAA stats. Top third.

If you throw out DP's 46 attempts (and 17 makes), the rest of the team is shooting 75.6%, which for reference would be in the top 25 in the nation. Of course, those other team's have their worst FT shooters included in their stats too.

WOW, it is amazing DP is shooting so poorly that one player has that large of an impact. But it does show how well overall the other are doing.

I had not looked and had no idea he was shooting 37% (17/46).......that is just AWFUL. I don't even know how that is possible.
02-13-2019 09:13 AM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Dwight Wilson is shooting 75.7% from the line, which is only behind Lewis (80.7%) and Banks (79.1%) on the team. Proof a big guy can make FT's. FWIW, Wilson shot 57.9% from the FT line as a freshman a year ago. Quite an improvement.

Unfortunately for us though, in 568 minutes played this season, Dwight has been to the line for only 37 attempts. We need him to get to the line more often than that. Of course, our guards have got to get the ball to him more often (IMO) when he posts up so he can make moves and hopefully draw more fouls. Dwight still has a lot of room for improvement when receiving the ball with his back to the basket. He too often fades away from the goal in those cases and attempting to score. In the CAA there really aren't that many 6'10" types of guys with long arms who are excellent shot blocking threats. With Dwight's girth, he should be able to spin and make some post moves towards the rim instead of away from it while drawing more fouls and getting some and-1 chances by finishing. He's a work in progress and perhaps our best development story of this frustrating season.

Wilson has almost doubled Phillips' minutes for the season now. I say good. Play the young'uns.
02-13-2019 09:24 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(02-13-2019 09:24 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Dwight Wilson is shooting 75.7% from the line, which is only behind Lewis (80.7%) and Banks (79.1%) on the team. Proof a big guy can make FT's. FWIW, Wilson shot 57.9% from the FT line as a freshman a year ago. Quite an improvement.

Unfortunately for us though, in 568 minutes played this season, Dwight has been to the line for only 37 attempts. We need him to get to the line more often than that. Of course, our guards have got to get the ball to him more often (IMO) when he posts up so he can make moves and hopefully draw more fouls. Dwight still has a lot of room for improvement when receiving the ball with his back to the basket. He too often fades away from the goal in those cases and attempting to score. In the CAA there really aren't that many 6'10" types of guys with long arms who are excellent shot blocking threats. With Dwight's girth, he should be able to spin and make some post moves towards the rim instead of away from it while drawing more fouls and getting some and-1 chances by finishing. He's a work in progress and perhaps our best development story of this frustrating season.

Wilson has almost doubled Phillips' minutes for the season now. I say good. Play the young'uns.

Agree......the improvement from Wilson from Freshman to Mid/Late Sophomore season has been impressive and what I expect from player development.

I could be wrong but I do not recall Wilson being that highly touted as a recruit. Hat's off to that young man, it is evident he has put in the work.

I think some of the disparity in FTs between Wilson and DP could also be game-planning by other coaches. Don't let DP get easy looks, if he gets the ball deep just foul him.....the end result will be like a turnover.
02-13-2019 09:35 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

From the something-you-don't-see-much-anymore department, all 5 of Drexel's regular starters are averaging scoring double figures. In their last game - a 2pt loss at home to Charleston - all 5 of their starters scored in double figures while getting ZERO points from their bench.

Against the Cougars, their leading scorer, 6'1" Sr. Guard Troy Harper had this line...

...30 points, 8 of 13 from the field, 3 of 5 from outside the arc, a perfect 11 of 11 from the line, 37 minutes, 5 boards, 3 assists, 3 TO's.

Charleston built a 16 pt lead with 14' left in the game...and, was up by 15 with 4' left before Drexel came clawing back by going on a 20-7 run to cut it to 2 pts with 7 seconds left before Charleston made 2 key FT's with 4 seconds left to bust it back out to a 2-possession 4-pt lead.
02-13-2019 09:52 AM
JacksonHall Offline
1st String

Though not dressed out for the game, Cam Smith puts on a halftime dunk show to energize the fans and the Dukes rally in the second half to win by 2 in an ugly game 65-63.
02-13-2019 09:57 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(02-13-2019 08:51 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(02-13-2019 07:37 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  #278 JMU 8-15 hosting #233 Drexel 11-14 in the CAA pillow fight of the week.

JMU 80
Drexel 79

How did this become the Keener round? I believe Sherm was there too. It's the JMU Invitational.

The answer is simple. Dean Keener was a perfectly awful 4 for 4 in qualifying for the CAA tourney play-in round. Dillard qualified for the play-in round 3 of his 7 years. Bad yes, but not perfectly awful like Keener.

And Keener was a nice guy. Gosh darn it, golly, and gee willikers nice. Some might say he was even a nicer guy than Louis Rowe. However, he was a terrible head coach and should have been fired sooner as we know.

Rowe is 2 for 2 and trending towards 3 for 3. Hopefully he can somehow squeeze the Dukes out of the Keener round this year with shrewd leadership and cunning. Otherwise there will be tremendous public pressure to rename the play-in round as the Keener/Rowe round. 03-lmfao
02-13-2019 10:36 AM
Advertisement

JacksonHall Offline
1st String

(02-13-2019 10:36 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  

JMU 80
Drexel 79

The answer is simple. Dean Keener was a perfectly awful 4 for 4 in qualifying for the CAA tourney play-in round. Dillard qualified for the play-in round 3 of his 7 years. Bad yes, but not perfectly awful like Keener.

And Keener was a nice guy. Gosh darn it, golly, and gee willikers nice. Some might say he was even a nicer guy than Louis Rowe. However, he was a terrible head coach and should have been fired sooner as we know.

Rowe is 2 for 2 and trending towards 3 for 3. Hopefully he can somehow squeeze the Dukes out of the Keener round this year with shrewd leadership and cunning. Otherwise there will be tremendous public pressure to rename the play-in round as the Keener/Rowe round. 03-lmfao

Not suggesting I've actually analyzed it, but in comparing strength of schedules, Rowe might actually be worse than Keener. The CAA was stronger when Keener was coach with George Mason, VCU and Old Dominion, and on the schedule during Keener's years were West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Virginia and La Salle.
02-13-2019 11:34 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(02-13-2019 11:34 AM)JacksonHall Wrote:  
(02-13-2019 10:36 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  

JMU 80
Drexel 79

Not suggesting I've actually analyzed it, but in comparing strength of schedules, Rowe might actually be worse than Keener. The CAA was stronger when Keener was coach with George Mason, VCU and Old Dominion, and on the schedule during Keener's years were West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Virginia and La Salle.

based on performance definitely splitting hairs there.
02-13-2019 11:38 AM
nyduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
4 of next 6 at home before caa tournament. MUST WIN these 2 before tough northeastern hofstra trip.

Please get it done Dukes

JMU 66
Drexel 64
02-13-2019 09:39 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Dukes open as 2 pt favorites. O/U = 147.5

Other CAA games tonight, FWIW...

Hofstra +1.5 at Charleston

Northeastern -7.0 at UNCW

Delaware +2.0 at Towson
02-14-2019 09:16 AM
JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
Cole Johnson comes off the bench and goes 6-10 from behind the arc to seal the deal after DiNucci goes stone cold from the field. Wait...
02-14-2019 09:36 AM
Advertisement

jmudukes Offline
2nd String

I Root For: jmu
(02-13-2019 09:39 PM)nyduke Wrote:  4 of next 6 at home before caa tournament. MUST WIN these 2 before tough northeastern hofstra trip.

Please get it done Dukes

JMU 66
Drexel 64

yes please
02-14-2019 11:04 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Dukes have dropped to being a 1 pt favorite. That makes sense.

Also Hofstra has gone from being a 1.5 pt dog to now being a 1 pt favorite.
02-14-2019 12:45 PM
JacksonHall Offline
1st String

Is the live feed working for anyone? A black screen with words is all I see. No sound either. What a piece of crap.
02-14-2019 07:00 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Not on Madizone?
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2019 07:13 PM by JMU85.)
02-14-2019 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.