Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Penny Hardaway - Nick Van Exel article
JerryJeff Offline
All American

I Root For:
Penny Hardaway - Nick Van Exel article
Those were some great games. I remember when Nick played in the pyramid for an NBA team, he looked up in the rafters and asked why his jersey wasn't hanging, since he had won so many games and scored so many points. One of my favorite players to hate back in the day. Now he and Penny are golf buddies.

Quote:Penny Hardaway vs. Nick Van Exel isn't what it used to be.

What was once a fearsome rivalry between Hardaway's Memphis Tigers and Van Exel's Cincinnati Bearcats on the hardwood has since shifted to the golf course.

Hardaway, now coaching his alma mater, and Van Exel, an assistant coach for the Memphis Grizzlies, have taken a few summer golfing trips together over the last couple of years. While playing, the two coaches chat about everyday life and, of course, reminisce about their glory days as competitors in the early 1990s.

"But I try not to bring it up so much because I was on the good end of the stick," Van Exel said jokingly.

"His buddies and I like to joke and talk about it all the time, how much they hated me," Van Exel added. "Now that I play golf with them they say they don't have to take me into the woods and leave me out there all alone because now they've realized that I'm alright."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...766313002/
02-07-2019 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Penny Hardaway - Nick Van Exel article
That Van Excel was one stubborn so and so. For some reason he just couldn't understand that him and Cincy weren't supposed to beat Memphis four times in one season. DAMMMMMM YOU Nick Van Excel!!!!!!! 03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-banghead LOL.
02-07-2019 11:06 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
If anybody asked me to name the one player who did the most damage to Memphis while he played, it would be Van Exel. I don't remember many opposing players. I definitely remember him.

Penny said in his presser that the rivalry is a little more tolerable now, b/c he is better than Nick at golf, lol. But Penny said all those losses still pain him.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019 11:16 AM by TripleA.)
02-07-2019 11:16 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
I remember the first year we had the Grizz and Nick Van Exel came with the Lakers. In a pregame interview he started looking at the rafters. The reporter asked what he was doing and Nick replied to the effect that since he won so many games in the Pyramid he assumed they retired his number.
02-07-2019 12:19 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
His number should be retired in Memphis. 1992 was a great year.
02-07-2019 03:21 PM
Bearcats#1 Online
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(02-07-2019 12:19 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I remember the first year we had the Grizz and Nick Van Exel came with the Lakers. In a pregame interview he started looking at the rafters. The reporter asked what he was doing and Nick replied to the effect that since he won so many games in the Pyramid he assumed they retired his number.

Van Exel owned the Tigers...pure unadulterated ownage.
02-07-2019 06:06 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(02-07-2019 06:06 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 12:19 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  I remember the first year we had the Grizz and Nick Van Exel came with the Lakers. In a pregame interview he started looking at the rafters. The reporter asked what he was doing and Nick replied to the effect that since he won so many games in the Pyramid he assumed they retired his number.

Van Exel owned the Tigers...pure unadulterated ownage.

Ugh. Yes he did.
02-07-2019 11:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.