Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply 
WAC basketball week 14
Author Message
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,251
Joined: Jun 2005
Reputation: 11
I Root For: NMSU
Location: AZ
Post: #1
WAC basketball week 14
UT Rio Grande Valley's Jovan Levi was selected as WAC POTW for averaging 12 apg last week.

Thursday...
UT Rio Grande Valley @ Grand Canyon
New Mexico State @ Cal State Bakersfield
Chicago State @ Cal Baptist

Saturday...
New Mexico State @ Grand Canyon
UT Rio Grande Valley @ Cal State Bakersfield
UM Kansas City @ Cal Baptist
Utah Valley @ Seattle U

There should be some movement in the WAC standings this week.
02-04-2019 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams
*

Posts: 948
Joined: Jan 2017
Reputation: 2
I Root For: Seattle U
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Post: #2
RE: WAC basketball week 14
Hopefully Seattle U will be healthier. Only two games in 14 days will let them heal. Kavas and Grigsby will be out still and we will see about Delante Jones. If everyone plays besides Kavas and Grigsby, SU can beat UVU. Almost did last time this year on the road. But if they are beat up, playing guys who shouldn't he playing because there's nobody left behind them, they wont.

A huge issue that actually CAN be fixed during the season is Morgan Means. I have never seen a player fall so far from grace so hard mid season. Nevermind the fact it all started at the exact week Kavas got hurt, which made Means the first-option shooter.

Morgan Means this year:

OOC (15 games)
16.9 ppg
45.0% FG
44.2% 3pt
4.9 rpg
3.6apg
2.3 turnover/game

WAC (8 games)
8.2 ppg
27.6% FG
29.4% 3pt
2.8 rpg
2.6 apg
2.5 turnover/game

He played with a serious eye injury vs UTRGV and had four fouls by the 19:30 mark vs CSUB. Otherwise he's just been terrible for all of WAC play besides one half vs UVU and Chicago State
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2019 02:25 AM by SeattleVandals.)
02-05-2019 02:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 378
Joined: Mar 2017
Reputation: 0
I Root For: UMKC
Location:
Post: #3
RE: WAC basketball week 14
WAC is developing a competitive balance problem that I don't think will be healthy going forward. NMSU and Grand Canyon in the WAC final every year will cause more departures.

The one caveat would be if NMSU could win a tournament game. Would really help a lot of schools budgets.
02-07-2019 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PojoaquePosse Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 408
Joined: Mar 2017
Reputation: 6
I Root For: NMSU
Location:
Post: #4
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 02:32 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  WAC is developing a competitive balance problem that I don't think will be healthy going forward. NMSU and Grand Canyon in the WAC final every year will cause more departures.

The one caveat would be if NMSU could win a tournament game. Would really help a lot of schools budgets.

I like option #2...

I stated this on the Aggie board, but I'm real concerned about this week. In the past, I've always felt that NMSU had the best team and it would take a monumental effort from the opposition for us to lose. I don't feel that way this year. The WAC has improved quite a bit. Man, this is a big week...
02-07-2019 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lopes87 Offline
Special Teams
*

Posts: 655
Joined: Jan 2017
Reputation: 10
I Root For: GCU
Location:
Post: #5
RE: WAC basketball week 14
The NMSU GCU domination of the WAC isn't a bad thing. Just need more members in the WAC to step up or be okay being more of a doormat going forward.
02-07-2019 03:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,653
Joined: Jan 2014
Reputation: 56
I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
Location:
Post: #6
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 02:32 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  WAC is developing a competitive balance problem that I don't think will be healthy going forward. NMSU and Grand Canyon in the WAC final every year will cause more departures.

The one caveat would be if NMSU could win a tournament game. Would really help a lot of schools budgets.

GCU has never won a regular season title in basketball or the WAC post-season tournament. They should win first before they are considered a dominant team. CSUB has won both and UVU won a regular season title. But I think we can see GCU coming and that is a good thing. They will force the other teams to raise their game. The WAC needs to become a multi-bid conference.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019 04:16 PM by SoCalBobcat78.)
02-07-2019 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

PojoaquePosse Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 408
Joined: Mar 2017
Reputation: 6
I Root For: NMSU
Location:
Post: #7
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 04:15 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 02:32 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  WAC is developing a competitive balance problem that I don't think will be healthy going forward. NMSU and Grand Canyon in the WAC final every year will cause more departures.

The one caveat would be if NMSU could win a tournament game. Would really help a lot of schools budgets.

GCU has never won a regular season title in basketball or the WAC post-season tournament. They should win first before they are considered a dominant team. CSUB has won both and UVU won a regular season title. But I think we can see GCU coming and that is a good thing. They will force the other teams to raise their game. The WAC needs to become a multi-bid conference.

I agree with everything, SoCal. GCU is on the upswing, but UVU and Bako have had more success to date. In any case, the WAC, for all intents and purposes, is on the upswing.
02-07-2019 05:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
A WAC Sheriff!
*

Posts: 7,863
Joined: Mar 2013
Reputation: 486
I Root For: NM State
Location:
Post: #8
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 04:15 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 02:32 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  WAC is developing a competitive balance problem that I don't think will be healthy going forward. NMSU and Grand Canyon in the WAC final every year will cause more departures.

The one caveat would be if NMSU could win a tournament game. Would really help a lot of schools budgets.

GCU has never won a regular season title in basketball or the WAC post-season tournament. They should win first before they are considered a dominant team. CSUB has won both and UVU won a regular season title. But I think we can see GCU coming and that is a good thing. They will force the other teams to raise their game. The WAC needs to become a multi-bid conference.
I see 2-3 current members of the WAC departing before that happens.
02-07-2019 06:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 378
Joined: Mar 2017
Reputation: 0
I Root For: UMKC
Location:
Post: #9
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 04:15 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 02:32 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  WAC is developing a competitive balance problem that I don't think will be healthy going forward. NMSU and Grand Canyon in the WAC final every year will cause more departures.

The one caveat would be if NMSU could win a tournament game. Would really help a lot of schools budgets.

GCU has never won a regular season title in basketball or the WAC post-season tournament. They should win first before they are considered a dominant team. CSUB has won both and UVU won a regular season title. But I think we can see GCU coming and that is a good thing. They will force the other teams to raise their game. The WAC needs to become a multi-bid conference.

I didn't say GCU was dominant. Finishing 2nd isn't dominant. The odds are like 85% chance we see GCU-NMSU again in the final. UVU has about 10% chance to represent and the rest of the teams combined have 5%. That's not a competitive league.

I see the opposite effect where teams at the bottom end give up and slash athletic budgets or move to a cheaper conference or d2. Can't compete with a publicly listed team.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019 06:28 PM by RoosHouse.)
02-07-2019 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 378
Joined: Mar 2017
Reputation: 0
I Root For: UMKC
Location:
Post: #10
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 03:59 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  The NMSU GCU domination of the WAC isn't a bad thing. Just need more members in the WAC to step up or be okay being more of a doormat going forward.

I don't think the budgets will allow them to be doormats. WAC really needs a tournament win this year or next
02-07-2019 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
A WAC Sheriff!
*

Posts: 7,863
Joined: Mar 2013
Reputation: 486
I Root For: NM State
Location:
Post: #11
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 06:33 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 03:59 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  The NMSU GCU domination of the WAC isn't a bad thing. Just need more members in the WAC to step up or be okay being more of a doormat going forward.

I don't think the budgets will allow them to be doormats. WAC really needs a tournament win this year or next

Care to explain?
02-07-2019 07:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,653
Joined: Jan 2014
Reputation: 56
I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
Location:
Post: #12
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 06:26 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 04:15 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 02:32 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  WAC is developing a competitive balance problem that I don't think will be healthy going forward. NMSU and Grand Canyon in the WAC final every year will cause more departures.

The one caveat would be if NMSU could win a tournament game. Would really help a lot of schools budgets.

GCU has never won a regular season title in basketball or the WAC post-season tournament. They should win first before they are considered a dominant team. CSUB has won both and UVU won a regular season title. But I think we can see GCU coming and that is a good thing. They will force the other teams to raise their game. The WAC needs to become a multi-bid conference.

I didn't say GCU was dominant. Finishing 2nd isn't dominant. The odds are like 85% chance we see GCU-NMSU again in the final. UVU has about 10% chance to represent and the rest of the teams combined have 5%. That's not a competitive league.

I see the opposite effect where teams at the bottom end give up and slash athletic budgets or move to a cheaper conference or d2. Can't compete with a publicly listed team.

NMSU has been the dominant team in the WAC for a number of years and I don't see any other teams just giving up. Good teams in the conference should force schools like UMKC and Chicago State to get better. To fix their issues. The new AD at UMKC has said he wants to become a Top 100 Division I program. Win Western Athletic Conference championships and earn NCAA tournament berths.

That does not sound like a guy that wants to go D2 or is afraid to compete. Seattle, UVU, CSUB, CBU, UTRGV...these schools are competing. You should want to be in a conference with good teams.
02-07-2019 08:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
edinburger Offline
Bench Warmer
*

Posts: 213
Joined: Jan 2017
Reputation: 0
I Root For: UTRGV
Location:
Post: #13
RE: WAC basketball week 14
Damn. Our best game of the year and had to "watch" on LiveStat.

Was a little upset about 22+/- free throws for GCU vs 4 for UTRGV midway through 2nd half, but the last 4 minutes more than made up for it.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2019 11:13 PM by edinburger.)
02-07-2019 11:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gleadley Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,186
Joined: Jan 2017
Reputation: 8
I Root For: GCU
Location: Phoenix. AZ
Post: #14
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 11:10 PM)edinburger Wrote:  Damn. Our best game of the year and had to "watch" on LiveStat.

Was a little upset about 22+/- free throws for GCU vs 4 for UTRGV midway through 2nd half, but the last 4 minutes more than made up for it.

Congrats, Vaqueros. Definitely earned every bit of the win tonight.
02-07-2019 11:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams
*

Posts: 907
Joined: Feb 2014
Reputation: 2
I Root For: CSUB
Location:
Post: #15
RE: WAC basketball week 14
Pretty wild/up and down game in Bako tonight by both sides I understand.
02-07-2019 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams
*

Posts: 533
Joined: Mar 2017
Reputation: 1
I Root For: GCU
Location:
Post: #16
RE: WAC basketball week 14
(02-07-2019 11:10 PM)edinburger Wrote:  Damn. Our best game of the year and had to "watch" on LiveStat.

Was a little upset about 22+/- free throws for GCU vs 4 for UTRGV midway through 2nd half, but the last 4 minutes more than made up for it.
Congrats to UTRGV! You all played a great game. I think GCU is going to miss Gerard Martin way more than anyone thinks. In many ways Martin is the glue of the team thanks to his defense and general character. Hopefully, he can still provide the character part from the bench. He looked really down today and I cannot blame him since his college career is over.
02-07-2019 11:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams
*

Posts: 907
Joined: Feb 2014
Reputation: 2
I Root For: CSUB
Location:
Post: #17
RE: WAC basketball week 14
Well, congrats Ags on that mess of a game. Obvious disappointment, but no surprises here of the final outcome (especially down the stretch). What is that now, three last-second(s) win this year?
02-08-2019 12:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
A WAC Sheriff!
*

Posts: 7,863
Joined: Mar 2013
Reputation: 486
I Root For: NM State
Location:
Post: #18
RE: WAC basketball week 14

02-08-2019 12:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NeptunianEmp Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 280
Joined: Sep 2017
Reputation: 0
I Root For: New Mexico Stat
Location:
Post: #19
RE: WAC basketball week 14
I SWEAR IF THERE IS ANOTHER LAST SECOND BUZZER BEATER FOR US VS GCU MY LIVER WILL DIE!
02-08-2019 12:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams
*

Posts: 907
Joined: Feb 2014
Reputation: 2
I Root For: CSUB
Location:
Post: #20
RE: WAC basketball week 14
I AM strangely happy that NMSU hit the shot, that the 'Runners didnt give it to them on something like a foul and 3 FTs, like they've done before.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2019 12:36 AM by RunnerBall.)
02-08-2019 12:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


Copyright © 2002-2019 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2019 MyBB Group.