Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Conference Tournament Bracketology
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
AAC Conference Tournament Bracketology
We are 6 weeks out . Half of the conference season to go . Lot of basketball to play. As of today this is how the games set up

2/1/19:

• First Round - Thursday, March 14
• Game 1: No. 8 UConn vs. No. 9 Tulsa (1 p.m. ET/Noon CT - ESPNU)
• Game 2: No. 5 Memphis vs. No. 12 Tulane (3 p.m. ET/2 p.m. CT - ESPNU)
• Game 3: No. 7 USF vs. No. 10 ECU (8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT - ESPNU)
• Game 4: No. 6 SMU vs. No. 11 Wichita St (10 p.m. ET/9 p.m. CT - ESPNU)

• Quarterfinals - Friday, March 15
• Game 5: No. 1 Houston vs. UConn/Tulsa (12 p.m. ET/11 a.m. CT - ESPN2)
• Game 6: No. 4 Temple vs. Memphis/Tulane (2 p.m. ET/1 p.m. CT - ESPN2)
• Game 7: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. USF/ECU (7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT - ESPNU)
• Game 8: No. 3 UCF vs. SMU/Wichita St (9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT - ESPNU)
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2019 09:27 AM by Bearcat2012.)
02-01-2019 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
RE: AAC Conference Tournament Bracketology
I would take 11th right now with those matchups in a heartbeat.
02-01-2019 11:33 AM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
This year's tournament is going to be wild. It's much more like 2016 this year in the American than last year, where I felt there wasn't really a possibility of a winner outside the 3 tournament locks.

I don't think anyone besides ECU and Tulane can't make a run.
02-01-2019 01:34 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
Honestly I would love to have Temple on the other half of the bracket. They're a tough match up for us. Would rather Cincy take them out.
02-01-2019 01:55 PM
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
(02-01-2019 01:34 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  This year's tournament is going to be wild. It's much more like 2016 this year in the American than last year, where I felt there wasn't really a possibility of a winner outside the 3 tournament locks.

I half agree. Last year there were only 3 legit contenders to win in Orlando and this year I believe there are more. However, as of now I would limit that group to Houston, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, UCF, and UConn - and I'm not even that confident in UCF and UConn.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2019 02:05 PM by BrooklynRocket.)
02-01-2019 02:04 PM
AndShock Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wichita State
As it stands now, that’s certainly the best path for Wichita State. It’s going to take a bit of luck to make the semis, can’t see us getting any further than that.
02-01-2019 03:48 PM
Advertisement

usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(02-01-2019 09:24 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  We are 6 weeks out . Half of the conference season to go . Lot of basketball to play. As of today this is how the games set up

2/1/19:

• First Round - Thursday, March 14
• Game 1: No. 8 UConn vs. No. 9 Tulsa (1 p.m. ET/Noon CT - ESPNU)
• Game 2: No. 5 Memphis vs. No. 12 Tulane (3 p.m. ET/2 p.m. CT - ESPNU)
• Game 3: No. 7 USF vs. No. 10 ECU (8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT - ESPNU)
• Game 4: No. 6 SMU vs. No. 11 Wichita St (10 p.m. ET/9 p.m. CT - ESPNU)

• Quarterfinals - Friday, March 15
• Game 5: No. 1 Houston vs. UConn/Tulsa (12 p.m. ET/11 a.m. CT - ESPN2)
• Game 6: No. 4 Temple vs. Memphis/Tulane (2 p.m. ET/1 p.m. CT - ESPN2)
• Game 7: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. USF/ECU (7 p.m. ET/6 p.m. CT - ESPNU)
• Game 8: No. 3 UCF vs. SMU/Wichita St (9 p.m. ET/8 p.m. CT - ESPNU)

It's not remotely worth getting worked up about because we're not at the end, but curious how you came to the SMU 6 seed/USF 7 seed decision. We haven't played yet, we have the same conference record and even the American seems to have USF currently as the 6 seed:

USFFan
02-01-2019 04:47 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-01-2019 11:33 AM)ShockerFever Wrote:  I would take 11th right now with those matchups in a heartbeat.

ECU and Wichita State have not played yet, so both are tied for 10th and 11th. I think that your NET is higher so that might make you 10th.
02-01-2019 05:23 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-01-2019 01:34 PM)stxrunner Wrote:  This year's tournament is going to be wild. It's much more like 2016 this year in the American than last year, where I felt there wasn't really a possibility of a winner outside the 3 tournament locks.

If ECU could play Cincinnati each game then ECU could definitely make a run.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2019 05:26 PM by PirateMarv.)
02-01-2019 05:24 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

SMU wins tie breaker over USF based on record vs Cincinnati 0-0 vs 0-1

ECU wins tie breaker over WSU based on record vs Cincinnati 1-0 vs 0-1

If head to head is tied it goes from the top of the standings and record vs each team til tie is broken.
02-01-2019 05:43 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-01-2019 05:43 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  SMU wins tie breaker over USF based on record vs Cincinnati 0-0 vs 0-1

ECU wins tie breaker over WSU based on record vs Cincinnati 1-0 vs 0-1

If head to head is tied it goes from the top of the standings and record vs each team til tie is broken.

Thanks for breaking that down.
02-01-2019 08:13 PM
Advertisement

vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(02-01-2019 01:55 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  Honestly I would love to have Temple on the other half of the bracket. They're a tough match up for us. Would rather Cincy take them out.

We’ve each won at home a true neutral site rubber match would be fun. Though the winner would be beat up for the next game.
02-01-2019 08:39 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
7 seed... Yes! So much better than the 8/9 game.
02-03-2019 05:17 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

FIRST ROUND THURSDAY MARCH 14th
First Round Bye’s: Houston, Cincinnati, UCF, Temple

- Temple has head-to-head tiebreak over South Florida for #4 seed

GAME 1: 1:00 ESPNU #8 Tulsa vs. #9 UConn
GAME 2: 3:00 ESPNU #5 South Florida vs. #12 Tulane
GAME 3: 7:00 ESPNU #7 Wichita St. vs. #10 SMU
GAME 4: 9:00 ESPNU #6 Memphis vs. #11 East Carolina

- Tulsa beats out UConn & SMU on a three way tiebreak. The tiebreaker that would be used in that situation is the three teams record against each other; however, all three teams were 1-1 against each other. Then it goes to who has the best win via the conference standings. Tulsa had a win over 4th place Temple giving them the 8 seed, next was UConn with a win over Wichita St giving them the 9 seed.

SECOND ROUND FRIDAY MARCH 15th

GAME 5: 12:00 ESPN2 #1 Houston vs. Tulsa/UConn Winner
GAME 6: 2:00 ESPN2 #4 Temple vs. South Florida/Tulane Winner
GAME 7: 7:00 ESPNU #2 Cincinnati vs. Wichita St/SMU Winner

GAME 8: 9:00 ESPNU #3 UCF vs. Memphis/East Carolina Winner
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019 11:46 AM by Bearcat2012.)
02-12-2019 11:43 AM
bullsbucsfan426 Offline
Special Teams

This is a key week for USF. Beating both UCF and Temple will take us to 3rd in the standings and make it very likely we get a bye in the first round. Lose 1 and we're probably locked at 5th, 6th if we lose both.
02-12-2019 12:31 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(02-12-2019 12:31 PM)bullsbucsfan426 Wrote:  This is a key week for USF. Beating both UCF and Temple will take us to 3rd in the standings and make it very likely we get a bye in the first round. Lose 1 and we're probably locked at 5th, 6th if we lose both.

Y’all getting Temple at home? Count the W.
02-12-2019 12:40 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(02-12-2019 12:31 PM)bullsbucsfan426 Wrote:  This is a key week for USF. Beating both UCF and Temple will take us to 3rd in the standings and make it very likely we get a bye in the first round. Lose 1 and we're probably locked at 5th, 6th if we lose both.

the literally worst thing that could happen to the aac...

the aac did enough in OOC to get 4 bids this year....

usf self eliminated themselves with their schedule that was horrific and then finishes 3rd eliminating other teams and knocking then down knowing theyd be on the bubble

scheduling horrible and then sucking is horrible for the league, scheduling horrible and then winning might be worst ....so im obviously rooting for yall to lose

and im curious how usf fan feel about this, if you beat ucf and temple youll be a lock for the NIT..but if you hadd scheduled better youd be a tourney team..simply playing 2 top 15 teams and losing, usf would be a tourney team with ucf/temple wins

this is why im a strong advocate of a minimum of how bad you can schedule...your schedule should fluctate based on how good your team is but its should be in a range and you shouldn't be allowed to bottom out...
02-12-2019 01:01 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(02-12-2019 01:01 PM)pesik Wrote:  

usf self eliminated themselves with their schedule that was horrific and then finishes 3rd eliminating other teams and knocking then down knowing theyd be on the bubble

scheduling horrible and then sucking is horrible for the league, scheduling horrible and then winning might be worst ....so im obviously rooting for yall to lose

and im curious how usf fan feel about this, if you beat ucf and temple youll be a lock for the NIT..but if you hadd scheduled better youd be a tourney team..simply playing 2 top 15 teams and losing, usf would be a tourney team with ucf/temple wins

this is why im a strong advocate of a minimum of how bad you can schedule...your schedule should fluctate based on how good your team is but its should be in a range and you shouldn't be allowed to bottom out...

Meh no one buy maybe their coach saw this coming, and probably not him. Next year was the one they most likely expected to be competitive and playing for the post season. The team was virtually brand new. Thinking long term a soft schedule let's the players learn the system, learn to play together, settle in to university life, and build a little confidence before a harsh conference season of occasional competitiveness and a few probable beat downs. Take a much more experienced team next year with a tougher schedule ooc to prepare and hope to get roughly .500 in conference and have a good chance at the post season. Then you're working with a really solid foundation for the program as the junior and seniors are use to competing and winning, the younger players only know how to compete and win. They're just a year ahead.

Gregory did a really good job of assembling a strong team where the players strengths cover other players weaknesses. Every player has seemed to grow more comfortable in their role and several players have excelled. The only clear weakness at the moment is Redeux getting in foul trouble or shut down causes them to slow down and get choppy on offense. Defensively they lose a tasmanian devil who can interrupt the opposing offense at it's starting point. Adding a pass first defensive minded type point guard next year will really make them a tough team to beat.
02-12-2019 01:19 PM
billetingman1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(02-12-2019 01:19 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  

Meh no one buy maybe their coach saw this coming, and probably not him. Next year was the one they most likely expected to be competitive and playing for the post season. The team was virtually brand new. Thinking long term a soft schedule let's the players learn the system, learn to play together, settle in to university life, and build a little confidence before a harsh conference season of occasional competitiveness and a few probable beat downs. Take a much more experienced team next year with a tougher schedule ooc to prepare and hope to get roughly .500 in conference and have a good chance at the post season. Then you're working with a really solid foundation for the program as the junior and seniors are use to competing and winning, the younger players only know how to compete and win. They're just a year ahead.

Gregory did a really good job of assembling a strong team where the players strengths cover other players weaknesses. Every player has seemed to grow more comfortable in their role and several players have excelled. The only clear weakness at the moment is Redeux getting in foul trouble or shut down causes them to slow down and get choppy on offense. Defensively they lose a tasmanian devil who can interrupt the opposing offense at it's starting point. Adding a pass first defensive minded type point guard next year will really make them a tough team to beat.

Well stated! Sampson did the same thing when he became our coach and scheduled better as our teams got better over the last 5 years.
02-12-2019 01:22 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

Yeah, yeah - I get it. But there was no way we could have anticipated that we'd be in this position this year. We were returning 1 player from a team that lost 93 games total in the previous 4 years and was the consensus pick to finish last in the conference. So spare me the pearl clutching about us stealing bids.

USFFan

PS - edited to add that I hadn't seen Foreverandever's response while I typed this, but thank you for that!
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2019 01:24 PM by usffan.)
02-12-2019 01:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.